Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

what is mipmapping, and is it good

please and thank you

Mipmapping is that effect that makes far far away textures look smooth instead of like a bunch of noise. Here is an example from Minecraft because it's like the easiest game to tell when it's on or not:

Notice how the far away blocks just look like nothing pixels with mipmaps off but they still look like the Minecraft blocks with it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i havent played it yet so haven't even read the threads yet but lol at there being a vlr 2 spoiler thread that immediately replaces the non spoiler thread in first page games status.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Walrus posted:

i havent played it yet so haven't even read the threads yet but lol at there being a vlr 2 spoiler thread that immediately replaces the non spoiler thread in first page games status.
Well GBS has that GoT thread with the title that just lists out everyone who died in the season finale, so we've got a ways to go yet to compete

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2C6oTyHpsg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
by the way here is a cool thing, it's a short doc on where they got all the graffiti textures for The Darkness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ootrPzw3c

it's an unlockable in the game so i recorded it cause it's neat

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

corn in the bible posted:

by the way here is a cool thing, it's a short doc on where they got all the graffiti textures for The Darkness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ootrPzw3c

it's an unlockable in the game so i recorded it cause it's neat

Darkness was such so good compared to its source material.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

Hello Wii U thread. Miyamoto says you should definitely check out Star Fox Zero it's really underrated but Pikmin 3 is cool too.

star fox zero is bad. please dont lie to me Miyamoto

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its not bad its just needless saddled with a controls learning curve so that those who spend the time to master it will annoy us forever over how we are overlooking a true classic....that is...just exactly...like sf64...only not as good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I bet it is a fun game but I don't want to drop 60 or 50 dollars on a video game anymore

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Pikmin 3 is really good though, he's right about that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Miyamoto is cool and has made some of the best games ever but he also made Wii Music so even he can be wrong sometimes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Also thirding (?) that Finding Dory is very cute and good. Saw it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Miyamoto is cool and has made some of the best games ever but he also made Wii Music so even he can be wrong sometimes.

I thought wii music was supposedly good and fun but also probably not worth full price

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Mipmapping is that effect that makes far far away textures look smooth instead of like a bunch of noise. Here is an example from Minecraft because it's like the easiest game to tell when it's on or not:

Notice how the far away blocks just look like nothing pixels with mipmaps off but they still look like the Minecraft blocks with it on.

what happened to the detail on the sand?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lizard Wizard posted:

what happened to the detail on the sand?

It's almost perpendicular to the camera, so the mipmapping makes it lose definition as it gets further away.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

Darkness was such so good compared to its source material.

Darkness 2 was a pretty alright arcadey shooter considering it wasn't made by Starbreeze but the whole thing has such a hilarious 90s indie comic vibe compared to the original game. Like there's an entire subplot through the entire game where between levels you keep waking up in an asylum where you and all the other characters are patients and inmates and you never know if it's all a dream or not, and at the end of the game you run into...this thing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

Darkness 2 was a pretty alright arcadey shooter considering it wasn't made by Starbreeze but the whole thing has such a hilarious 90s indie comic vibe compared to the original game. Like there's an entire subplot through the entire game where between levels you keep waking up in an asylum where you and all the other characters are patients and inmates and you never know if it's all a dream or not, and at the end of the game you run into...this thing.

Lol, yeah. Darkness 2 is definitely closer to the source material. Not bad but different.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, it's 12:39 AM est and I am playing a puzzle game called Lyne.

I'm also looking at poo poo on ebay. There's a thing I want that is usually like 200 bucks but it's only going for 36 right now and it is one of those times where I wish I had some kind of income so I could bid on it.

Unfortunately, scalpers pretty much ruined the prices on them. It's cool that this whole set is only $36 minimum but it's still a shame some individual pieces of those sets show up at outrageous prices like $180 or $200 and that people are apparently buying them at those prices too :\

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

More specifically, mipmapping will blend between one size of texture to its half size as the camera gets further away, continuing down until it reaches a 1x1 single pixel average color. It blends using bilinear or trilinear filtering to bleed or blur between the 2 versions smoothly (as opposed to just drawing a sharp border between the 2 versions). It increases quality and render time, since the engine can show smaller, lighter textures for less important (read further away) objects, but it DOES take more memory, as I understand it (up to 33-ish percent more) since it has to generate and store many different-sized versions of a texture file.

Without it, texture detail will go "sub-pixel" which is when multiple pixels of texture detail are only given one pixel of screen to render on and the engine can't decide what to show so you get "swimming" or flickering texture detail as each frame is drawn with different colored pixels replacing each other for each frame.

A similar system with its own blending methods is generally in place for models/polygons called "LODs", which stands for level of detail.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 5, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm also looking at poo poo on ebay. There's a thing I want that is usually like 200 bucks but it's only going for 36 right now and it is one of those times where I wish I had some kind of income so I could bid on it.

Unfortunately, scalpers pretty much ruined the prices on them. It's cool that this whole set is only $36 minimum but it's still a shame some individual pieces of those sets show up at outrageous prices like $180 or $200 and that people are apparently buying them at those prices too :\

Lyne is the most chill. It's like you're weaving, kind of, and I love it a lot. Sorry to hear about ebay being expensive, though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also like Lyne.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

mutata posted:

More specifically, mipmapping will blend between one size of texture to its half size as the camera gets further away, continuing down until it reaches a 1x1 single pixel average color. It blends using bilinear or trilinear filtering to bleed or blur between the 2 versions smoothly (as opposed to just drawing a sharp border between the 2 versions). It increases quality and render time, since the engine can show smaller, lighter textures for less important (read further away) objects, but it DOES take more memory, as I understand it (up to 33-ish percent more) since it has to generate and store many different-sized versions of a texture file.

Without it, texture detail will go "sub-pixel" which is when multiple pixels of texture detail are only given one pixel of screen to render on and the engine can't decide what to show so you get "swimming" or flickering texture detail as each frame is drawn with different colored pixels replacing each other for each frame.

A similar system with its own blending methods is generally in place for models/polygons called "LODs", which stands for level of detail.

This is an awesome little write-up. I always wondered what mipmapping did other than just make distant things look better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason Minecraft didn't have mipmapping for the first like 5 years of its existence- even though graphically it's one of the more important effects toward making the game not look like crap -is because Notch thinks mipmapping sucks from a technical standpoint and didn't wanna bother coding it into the Minecraft engine (likely because Java is terrible and it would've been pretty hard to do without a pretty significant performance hit). I don't think anybody should be surprised at more news that Notch was lazy and holding Minecraft back at this point

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 5, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Scavenging through Skylanders stuff on eBay is a hell of a thing, any time you have the conflicting markets of moms selling off their kid's old poo poo and resellers going in hard it makes for a super weird landscape

I got a lot of Skylanders cheap in a big lot or two to unlock most of the poo poo for the bargain bin games I got in the series when they were discontinued, but I'm really unlikely to try and fill in the blanks because individual pieces are costly even used

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i forgot that sonic adventure is severely short for any character whose name is not "sonic"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Walrus posted:

this is like calling mother 3 earthbound 2, or in other words, extremely triggering

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Steam thread says hi

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Steam thread says hi

Steep lookin' good. Tell Ubisoft I was wrong to doubt them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cardboard Box A posted:

Steam thread says hi

RIP that guy

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't understand this question because it's explained like six times. Frodo has to take the ring to Mount Doom because anything too obvious or anyone too powerful is going to attract Sauron's attention, and Sauron's powerful enough to just take the eagles out of the sky. This is why half of the last book is one big decoy while two hobbits sneak around the back: they're the only ones that are beneath Sauron's notice.

I would have also accepted "It wouldn't have been an grand adventure then if they just farted over there with the eagles."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Scavenging through Skylanders stuff on eBay is a hell of a thing, any time you have the conflicting markets of moms selling off their kid's old poo poo and resellers going in hard it makes for a super weird landscape

I got a lot of Skylanders cheap in a big lot or two to unlock most of the poo poo for the bargain bin games I got in the series when they were discontinued, but I'm really unlikely to try and fill in the blanks because individual pieces are costly even used

Yeah, for us we just wanna pick up some of the figs we think look neat or fun to play as but apparently we aren't allowed to do that unless we pay out the rear end hahaha

I'm sure the prices will eventually go down or we'll get lucky and find someone selling that stuff for a nice, reasonable price that we can afford and feel comfortable paying, but until then, gently caress the scalpers hahaha

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

i forgot that sonic adventure is severely short for any character whose name is not "sonic"

That's mostly for the best. Like people complain about Amy and Big but I think they barely 5 levels between them

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I got Rune Factory 4 on 3ds and it's fun but it's making me wonder if I actually like Stardew Valley as much as I thought I did.

Like it's not bad or anything like that, but I had that 'oooh, poo poo, this is what I wanted from Harvest Moon' feel when I played Stardew Valley, and now I got RF4 and suddenly it's way more of everything that I liked about Stardew Valley over the main Harvest Moon games, and eschews the whole 'add all this non-farm stuff to your farm' stuff in favor of... throwing in a fun brawler/dungeon crawler that's way more in depth than Stardew Valley's own dungeons and you can recruit all the monsters and get crazy special moves and so on and so on... Like, on the list of 'what does SV have over RF', as far as I can tell it's just gay marriage, americana theme versus vaguely european fantasy setting, and, sadly, 'oh, right, this company hasn't shut down so there could be more of these'.

Like, at the same time I also feel it's wholly unfair to compare them because one was a fully focused 3ds title that was made by a skilled team who ALREADY had at least 3 of these spinoffs under their belt to refine the formula and one is this little indie project that as far as I can tell was really done by one guy, likely with some hired help but with one central authorial intent behind it.

gently caress it, it's 5 am and I'm thinking too hard about videogames again, aren't I?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Star Fox Zero and Finding Dory are great. Everyone should support these.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Tales from the Borderlands last night and I'm glad I played the completed version because some of those middle episodes felt really short. Episode 4 in particular feels like it is ending just as it starts to get going. The bit at the end where you got to chose who to help you based on your choices was kind of neat, although I barely had enough people to field the other team.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's the max amount of stuff you can list on the steam market before it starts asking you for tax information or whatever? Someone posted about it a while back and idle master is in the process of earning me like 200+ cards so I would like to know this before it happens to me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

What's the max amount of stuff you can list on the steam market before it starts asking you for tax information or whatever? Someone posted about it a while back and idle master is in the process of earning me like 200+ cards so I would like to know this before it happens to me.
Just so you know that nothing is done with your tax info, it's not sent anywhere. You could as well write bogus information in that form because Valve only sends it anywhere when you make $10k+ selling items or some absurd amount like that and the only person I've ever heard having to deal with that is the SA mart goon who literally lives off TF2 hats.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214

some arbitrary time before you hit 200

quote:

Why do I have to provide additional documentation if I haven't reached 200 market sales?
We request this information early on so that you have time to fill it out accurately. Validation by the third party can take time, if you hit the 200 limit without the form validated you will not be able to sell additional items until validation is complete.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

Just so you know that nothing is done with your tax info, it's not sent anywhere. You could as well write bogus information in that form because Valve only sends it anywhere when you make $10k+ selling items or some absurd amount like that and the only person I've ever heard having to deal with that is the SA mart goon who literally lives off TF2 hats.

According to the faq CrashCat linked (thanks crashcat) it's even crazier:

quote:

only those subscribers who are U.S. citizens or residents and who exceed 200 sales transactions in a calendar year and also exceed $20,000 in gross sales proceeds from those sales transactions in that same calendar year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I filled out that form years ago, never heard about it anymore. The SA Mart goon who freaked out at first when he got hit with it ended up not having to pay a cent anyway.

• Locked thread