Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
9 out of 10 people whose mothers were named martha loved the new #UltimateEdition #WBHomeEnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Something that I don't think I've seen in the mock threads was my biggest problem with the movie.

Okay so Batman has a flash forward where it's a dystopian future with all of these aliens and poo poo around. So he is wearing his gigantic comical rubber suit with a huge over-sized trenchcoat and goggles over it?

Why wouldn't it just be bruce wayne with the goggles and trench coat? It looks incredibly dumb.

That might make sense on Iron Man or someone that uses their costume as their source of power, but nope, dudes running around in the desert landscape in a gigantic goofy rubber outfit he has comically put clothes on like a parody where you have a super hero doing a mundane job in their outfit or something.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fat Shat Sings posted:

That might make sense on Iron Man or someone that uses their costume as their source of power, but nope, dudes running around in the desert landscape in a gigantic goofy rubber outfit he has comically put clothes on like a parody where you have a super hero doing a mundane job in their outfit or something.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Cu Chulainn posted:

I love the very obvious post-corporate rear end-chewing change of heart in that second tweet

"OH NO IT'S ACTUALLY WORTH ALL THE MONEY #SHILL #PLEASEBUYIT #THEYHAVEMYFAMILY"

They literally have my mom tied up in a warehouse and a sadistic Russian mercenary is going to barbeque her with a flamethrower if the Ultimate Edition doesn't sell a million copies release day! #PLEASEHELPUS #NOTAJOKE #SAVEMARTHA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Alfred died and Bruce can't reach the zip on his own

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Something that I don't think I've seen in the mock threads was my biggest problem with the movie.

Okay so Batman has a flash forward where it's a dystopian future with all of these aliens and poo poo around. So he is wearing his gigantic comical rubber suit with a huge over-sized trenchcoat and goggles over it?

Why wouldn't it just be bruce wayne with the goggles and trench coat? It looks incredibly dumb.

Well, it is bullet and knife proof as well as having a bunch of sensors and com-gear in the helmet. His suit isn't necessarily non-functional.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well, it is bullet and knife proof as well as having a bunch of sensors and com-gear in the helmet. His suit isn't necessarily non-functional.

It looks stupid as hell and one would assume in the dystopian future he would have those gadgets actually be useful and practical instead of wearing a two inch thick rubber suit like a gigantic comical retard because he is too stupid to figure out how to make dystopian body armor or bluetooth communications.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It looks stupid as hell and one would assume in the dystopian future he would have those gadgets actually be useful and practical instead of wearing a two inch thick rubber suit like a gigantic comical retard because he is too stupid to figure out how to make dystopian body armor or bluetooth communications.

I know right, why don't dream sequences follow logic? The other day I was having a dream in which I was configuring a cisco router with an etch-a-sketch, and I was like "why don't I just have a laptop with a serial port? dreams that make no sense make no sense."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I know right, why don't dream sequences follow logic? The other day I was having a dream in which I was configuring a cisco router with an etch-a-sketch, and I was like "why don't I just have a laptop with a serial port? dreams that make no sense make no sense."

are your dreams actually visions of the future sent by the flash jackin off so fast he goes back in time because that's the only way your analogy works

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a better movie than BvS???

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Shinjobi posted:

a better movie than BvS???

By far.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It was actually a vision of the future where he still looks like a gigantic clown idiot, sorry bro.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

are your dreams actually visions of the future sent by the flash jackin off so fast he goes back in time because that's the only way your analogy works

Yours aren't?

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
there was a time above
a time before
there were perfect things
diamond absolutes
how things fall
things on earth
and what falls
is fallen

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

movie dreams typically have to look good and make sense because movies aren't real life

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

has anyone watched the 3-hour r-rated cut? did it make the movie good?

i was going to, but then i remembered i hated the movie and that would be really not fun at all

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I watched the rated r, 3 hour cut. First time watching the movie. It was ok, rated r for the cripple saying the f word. Not the best movie but not the worst. Don't understand why everyone was angry at the movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Edgar posted:

I watched the rated r, 3 hour cut. First time watching the movie. It was ok, rated r for the cripple saying the f word. Not the best movie but not the worst. Don't understand why everyone was angry at the movie.

apparently all the cut scenes were necessary to get it up to your tepid praise from what they sayin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What would even be R-rated about it? Wonder Woman doesn't really have all that much screen time.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gradenko_2000 posted:

What would even be R-rated about it? Wonder Woman doesn't really have all that much screen time.

doomsday punch upskirt shot extended to 1.6s(up from 1.2s in theatrical cut)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Maybe all of the cut content was scene transitions, establishing shots, lead-in dialogue and the like that they forgot to leave in the original cut. I like to imagine that someone goofed and deleted that file right before shipping the movie.

"The file was labeled 'Do NOT Delete', SusanMartha!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

This one is really my favorite

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There is nothing more patriotic than hating this movie. Happy 4th, everyone.:911:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

did it make the movie good?

Of course it didn't.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
hey guys did you know that what falls is... fallen?? i think it's a diamond absolute from the abovetimes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's a 9 minute long scene where doomsday just whips out his rocky troll dong and just jacks it hardcore. it's really jarring and happens right in the middle of the fight.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
No amount of restored scenes or additional dialogue could fix those awful, high school drama looking fight scenes.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

has anyone watched the 3-hour r-rated cut? did it make the movie good?

i was going to, but then i remembered i hated the movie and that would be really not fun at all

Well they explain that it's Jimmy Olsen in the desert with Lois Lane. No idea why they'd cut that out of the theatrical version as it literally only takes a second and without it it's just some random schmuck getting his head blown off.
They also explain that Clark couldn't see wheelchair guy's bomb because it was encased in lead. I think they cut that out because it was being explained by Jena Malone's character who was completely edited out. She also reveals more about the bullet that was lodged in Lois' journal and it being part of the plot to frame Superman, but I think that subplot was also left kind of unclear?

What I truly hate about this movie is they gently caress up Batman so bad. He murders like 20 people and tries to paint Superman as the threat. I doubt it will happen but I hope the powers that be have The Flash undo MoS and this movie because got drat.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Apparently the mercs torch the bodies before leaving to make it look like superman came in and lasereyed everyone to death while saving Lois, to make the conspiracy theory more plausible then people thinking Superman flew in and shot 20 people. Which sorta works better but it's still convoluted as gently caress for a side plot that goes nowhere, since the whole frame job was totally irrelevant to Batman hating supes. Oh and apparently the Senator Lady finds out the truth and was going to confront Luther at the hearing about it, to exonerate superman, which is why he blows up the building. Which again sorta works better but it's still weird.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL they had to extend the film to explain poo poo that should have been cut to make the film 90 minutes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Apparently the mercs torch the bodies before leaving to make it look like superman came in and lasereyed everyone to death while saving Lois, to make the conspiracy theory more plausible then people thinking Superman flew in and shot 20 people. Which sorta works better but it's still convoluted as gently caress for a side plot that goes nowhere, since the whole frame job was totally irrelevant to Batman hating supes.

Why would they even leave Lois alive since she's a witness to all this?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i watched the extended edition and it was bad and it gave me a headache. also whatever filter they shot the whole movie in was terrible, and the slow motion "high art" scenes with opera singing were ridiculously stupid. whole movie took itself way too seriously

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LOL they had to extend the film to explain poo poo that should have been cut to make the film 90 minutes.

My favorite thing is multiple people in the CineD thread going "Ugh, why wasn't this the theatrical cut?"

Because studios want to squeeze the most showings out of a movie in a day, so they tend to frown upon long rear end movies. The LOTR series being the only notable exceptions.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I have not watched it yet, and I'm not sure I even am going to. I don't really want to subject myself to it again.

But from what I have read, the new cut does fix some of the movie's more egregious problems: Apparently, characters are given actual motivation, which tends to be important. Some things in the movie, according to rumors, start to make a bit of sense. There are actually scenes where Superman helps people instead of just flying above them in artsy shots or looking mopey and sad when poo poo blows up around him. Lois Lane is actually given something to do, as is Clark Kent.

That said, they still awkwardly shoehorn Wonder Woman into the movie, and they still have Batman email the press kit for the sequel to her. Batman and Superman's fight still ends because their mothers have the same name (which is one of those things that you might be able to look past in a better movie) and I think they even may have added some scenes to the "Doomsday" fight which was already superfluous and too long.

A three hour movie is too long for sure, and I can understand why WB wanted to cut it down. But to remove the story beats in order to make it fit is perhaps the worst possible decision they could have made. If the movie was interesting and then just turned into a disappointing ending, I feel like it would have been a much more successful movie and a much more fruitful start to a DC Extended Universe than what we were given. Instead, they took all the story out, left in as much cross-promotional nonsense as they could, and relied on the names to pull in the box office. It seems like it worked (it made a lot of money) but only just, and now most of the public is lukewarm to whatever comes next. God help WB is Suicide Squad is a flop.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Young Freud posted:

Why would they even leave Lois alive since she's a witness to all this?

Superman is quantumly entangled to Lois' vagina since she can survive supersex and they can use her as bait, and Lex probably wanted to keep that option open for later. She was also inside the building when all the gunplay goes down so technically not a witness, though she deffo saw the mercs and would probably have noticed that they weren't among the bodies when she left if she was any kind of reporter

it really doesn't make much sense, but you can at least see the thread of logic, unlike before where it's clear no one could suspect superman because superman doesn't have bullet eyes or whatever

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What I really find interesting about this is the difference in approach between Marvel and DC movies. Marvel has had movies that didn't go down well: Ang Lee's Hulk, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Fant4stic. In each case the studio involved has taken criticism on board and changed things. WB gets negative feedback on a movie and says "gently caress you" then doubles down. It's weird given they had no problem ditching Green Lantern, but seem determined to make Zach Snyder's version of the Justice League popular.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

You're thinking logically about a Zack Snyder movie. That's where it all falls apart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunswipe posted:

What I really find interesting about this is the difference in approach between Marvel and DC movies. Marvel has had movies that didn't go down well: Ang Lee's Hulk, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Fant4stic. In each case the studio involved has taken criticism on board and changed things. WB gets negative feedback on a movie and says "gently caress you" then doubles down. It's weird given they had no problem ditching Green Lantern, but seem determined to make Zach Snyder's version of the Justice League popular.

I did a huge effortpost in CD earlier arguing that trying to course correct to appeal to audiences has always been a bad idea and doubling down turns out to be the right thing to do:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The perceived wisdom at the time was that sequels made less money and franchises had a set shelf life, although the studios tried to extend that shelf life as long as possible. The Reeve Superman films set a really strong example where they start out really strong and then just tailed off in quality until audiences and critics were fed up with them, and the 90s TMNT films, The Crow films and the Blade films also went the same way. The 80s/90s Batman films nearly bucked the trend when the 3rd movie proved to be more popular the 2nd movie but returned to form when the 4th movie couldn't pick up an audience and killed the franchise.

The X-Men series actually went from strength to strength at the start and it looked like a studio had finally figured out how to make superhero sequels actual gain popularity when the first three X-Men movies kept making more money. At the same time the Raimi Spider-Man films were making an absolute shitload of money (comparatively) but were still making less and less on the sequels. Fox's Fantastic Four franchise failed to make it past a second film, Nolan brought out a Batman film which was a huge hit with the fans but didn't set the general populace on fire and Marvel brought out Iron Man which was did pretty well at the box office and was also a real fan pleaser but it didn't quite have the same wide appeal as any of the three Spider-Man films, and The Incredible Hulk was pretty tepid. Warners tried to revive the Reeve Superman franchise with Superman Returns in 2006 but audiences were lukewarm at best so that experiment failed.

And then in 2008 Nolan's The Dark Knight loving exploded and was incredibly more successful than the first film, making a billion worldwide. Fox's X-Men series suddenly reversed their pattern and started making less and less with each subsequent film, Marvel almost repeated their success with Iron Man 2 but had disappointing runs with Thor and Captain America. Warners took a shot at creating another shared universe with Green Lantern which was an embarrassing fumble but then in 2012 The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises each made a billion and suddenly superhero films were The Most Important Films in the world.

It really feels like the studios were struggling for decades trying to calculate exactly how much studio control/interference was necessary to produce the perfect superhero franchise. Studio interference was a major factor in driving away directors like Donner, Burton and Raimi which in turn was a major factor in the franchises failing, combined with the studios not really understanding or caring why the audiences liked the films in the first place. The 90s TMNT films should have been an absolute no brainer but the studio got greedy with the second film and demanded they make it more accessible by cutting back on the violence and making it more "kid friendly" (ie: more palatable to concerned parents) which turned out to be the exact wrong direction to take. The Nolan Dark Knight trilogy showed that it paid off to stick to a plan and not to try and meddle with the tone of the franchise to chase the audience (although the X-Men films didn't fare as well with that) and the MCU really cemented that concept. I guess the DC cinematic universe is also following them in the sense of picking a tone and sticking to it. Of course if they'd been paying attention to the Fast & Furious franchise they would have already known that by now ....

(Deadpool, of course, has thrown a complete spanner in all this)

tl;dr: the studios can't help but interfere and if they butt into an already successful series they almost always gently caress it up, so they're better off picking a tone and a direction for the series right at the outset and making sure the films stick to it no matter what

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The problem with that is that the actual real-world evidence doesn't support it - just look at the critical and commercial success of Marvel Studios stuff vs DC's efforts. Like, it's self-evident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

The problem with that is that the actual real-world evidence doesn't support it - just look at the critical and commercial success of Marvel Studios stuff vs DC's efforts. Like, it's self-evident.

The DC cinematic universe only has 2 films so far and when the MCU started out they had a bunch of films that were only moderately successful. The first two MCU films were Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and Man of Steel only made slightly less money than Iron Man but Batman v Superman made a whole lot more money than The Incredible Hulk.

Like, I don't doubt that the DC films could just get worse and worse if they stick to their "Grim and Gritty" business plan but we won't actually know if that gamble will pay off for a few years now. It could be that Aquaman is the movie which clicks with the audience and turns the DCCU around.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread