Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like those carriers have had a busy week (sorry 640XL owners):

quote:

The AT&T Lumia 1520 is now able to grab the official Windows 10 Mobile update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/att-lumia-1520-windows-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

new insiders build: 14376. You know the messenging everywhere feature? The one where you can send and receive text messages from you PC similar to the integration that iphones and Macs have? The one that Microsoft has working pretty much seamlessly in the last two builds? Easily my favorite feature in Windows 10?

Yeah, they are removing that.

quote:

We have been testing with Windows Insiders a preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature that allows you to receive and send text messages from your Windows 10 phone directly to and from your Windows 10 PC. The experience was well-received by Insiders however we believe we can deliver an even better experience through the Skype app. Because of this, we decided not to release this feature as part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer. Starting with Build 14376 and going forward, Insiders will no longer have the ability to reply to text messages from their phone via the Messaging app on their PCs. The ability to reply to text messages on your PC using Cortana is unaffected. Going forward, we will be working with the Skype Team on delivering a great “messaging everywhere” experience on your Windows 10 devices through the Skype app. We will share more details about this experience in the months ahead.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...71EmM4Gvc9WD.99

Removing that in favor a feature that they mave have up and running in a few months! Windows phone in a nutshell...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

CalvinandHobbes posted:

new insiders build: 14376. You know the messenging everywhere feature? The one where you can send and receive text messages from you PC similar to the integration that iphones and Macs have? The one that Microsoft has working pretty much seamlessly in the last two builds? Easily my favorite feature in Windows 10?

Removing that in favor a feature that they mave have up and running in a few months! Windows phone in a nutshell...

Gotta do something meaningful with that $8.5 billion acquisition. Especially after writing off another rather expensive acquisition just a few months ago. :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CalvinandHobbes posted:

IMO, if integrating it into Skype means it would support SMS relay on iOS and Android (Which I hope is why they're doing it, because otherwise :wtf:) then it would get used by a bunch more people and arguably be more useful.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

IMO, if integrating it into Skype means it would support SMS relay on iOS and Android (Which I hope is why they're doing it, because otherwise :wtf:) then it would get used by a bunch more people and arguably be more useful.

Considering the reliability and delayed notifications of the skype experience in general, especially on Windows phone, this does not inspire confidence. Furthermore, I realize Microsoft has long since given up on windows phone but this was basically the only feature advantage windows phone held over the competition. If the windows phone skype experience is any indication, here is another area we can expect windows phone to be worse about.

Its a drat shame because the current setup works REALLY REALLY well. I can have realtime SMS conversations with my phone on the other side of the house and can certainly type way faster on a full laptop.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Considering the reliability and delayed notifications of the skype experience in general, especially on Windows phone, this does not inspire confidence. Furthermore, I realize Microsoft has long since given up on windows phone but this was basically the only feature advantage windows phone held over the competition. If the windows phone skype experience is any indication, here is another area we can expect windows phone to be worse about.

Its a drat shame because the current setup works REALLY REALLY well. I can have realtime SMS conversations with my phone on the other side of the house and can certainly type way faster on a full laptop.

I agree that removing it sucks, because it did work great. I would also say that the Skype UWP is a vast improvement over the Windows 8.1 app and the normal desktop one (If only because those loving ads are the worst :argh:). So I disagree with it being a worse experience. I mean, the app's in dogfooding right now (and I think some of them leaked? But they're older) but it works well. So I'll hold judgment until I see that they won't add SMS support to iOS and Android. Then I'll bitch again.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Skype is absolute garbage and making it the primary experience for anything at all is a step backwards.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The fact that Skype isn't webrtc based boggles my mind at this point. :psyduck:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
At this point I just wish Apple would stick a half decent GPU in a Mac so I can complete my set of Apple products and be done with Microsoft all together. I already have an iPhone and an iPad, and Apple has the whole text message sync thing working perfectly, and has done for a long time. Not to mention phone calls.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Yup, pretty salty about this one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

At this point I just wish Apple would stick a half decent GPU in a Mac so I can complete my set of Apple products and be done with Microsoft all together. I already have an iPhone and an iPad, and Apple has the whole text message sync thing working perfectly, and has done for a long time. Not to mention phone calls.

Even if you get a decent GPU in a Mac you have to wait for devs to support their OS. What's the matter with a proper Windows gaming pc? For the price of a Mac you can get a great setup with a great GPU and then some more.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hell; at this point OSx86 is stupidly easy to implement if you choose your parts correctly. You can even update 99.99% of the time without having to do anything but click the update button.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Even if you get a decent GPU in a Mac you have to wait for devs to support their OS. What's the matter with a proper Windows gaming pc? For the price of a Mac you can get a great setup with a great GPU and then some more.

Yeah I know we're all bitter about a horribly mishandled mobile OS in here but let's not talk crazy, gaming PCs are a best-in-class experience

I still haven't bought a nextgen gaming console and I'm starting to doubt I ever will

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The real tragedy is that the new Facebook Messenger app doesn't have a transparent live tile. My start screen. :smith:

Drastic Actions posted:

This (plus marketing people) was the reason that came to mind when I first saw the announcement. The advantage of not running an insider build is that you're pleasantly surprised when things do make it through. :v: As long as it works (okay, big if here), I don't particularly care if I have to open the Messaging app or the Skype app to text.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not trying to change his mind. If he wants to go full Apple because it suits his needs it's cool. But using wanting a Mac with a good GPU for gaming would be a waste.

I'm right now bitter with the whole WM10 taking ages to the first devices they said they were W10 ready (640 and 640XL). Being stuck in insider program and having random stuff not working properly because they don't care. Microsoft has enough resources to make WM10 a great OS but :effort:. Android may be a clusterfuck depending on what manufacturer you decide to buy from but at least you have variety and you get exactly what you pay for. No promises broken.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Guillermus posted:

I'm right now bitter with the whole WM10 taking ages to the first devices they said they were W10 ready (640 and 640XL). Being stuck in insider program and having random stuff not working properly because they don't care.

IMO, the actual RTM of WM10 was too early for normal production phones. The 950 and 950XL were also released too early. With newest stable builds are much much better then that, for me at least.

If you're still in the Insider Program and it's not stable, get off of it. Or go to Release Preview or the slow branch. It's not here, but on Windows Phone sites I see all these complaints about breaks and bugs in Insider builds and I'm like "no poo poo, it's called software development. Bugs get fixed, regressions happen, it's a cycle".

There are almost daily builds pushed out internally fixing bugs. They seriously do care and feedback is taken seriously and to heart. By seeing these builds, your basically seeing how the sausage is made.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I was pondering that the other day though, how is the experience for leaving the fast track? Will I just get an update the next time the stable branch passes it in version numbers, or is there more work (i.e. a reset or other nastyness) involved? I am indeed in the situation where the insider builds brings me nothing I feel any special hurry with, but sometimes break things.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Guillermus posted:

I have a proper gaming PC - I've spent about 12 grand on gaming PCs over the past decade. I just wish I could meet my gaming needs with a Mac so that I didn't have to use windows anymore. (I'm certainly not going to have 2 computers on the go, so in a couple of years when this thing is getting long in the tooth, it's either replace it with another PC, or buy a Mac if I think I can still play games without too many compromises.) I think (but I've never owned a mac so I can't be sure) that the support situation is changing - and I'm hoping Vulkan sways devs even further into making the Mac a first class citizen, at least as far as their support goes.

edit: oh hey you guys still on windows phone can have the mobile steam app now :unsmith:

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 29, 2016

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Aw man I've been waiting for the SMS from my desktop for ages. I'm on the Release Preview so I don't think it's made it's way to me yet, and now it's shitcanned for *something better in the future*.

My thoughts is they're doing this rear end backwards - Skype should integrate into the messaging/calling on W10M, and indeed into W10 proper, rather than shoehorning everything which we already do into Skype. They're ballsing up everything to justify a bullshit acquisition. Again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Funkface posted:

Aw man I've been waiting for the SMS from my desktop for ages. I'm on the Release Preview so I don't think it's made it's way to me yet, and now it's shitcanned for *something better in the future*.

My thoughts is they're doing this rear end backwards - Skype should integrate into the messaging/calling on W10M, and indeed into W10 proper, rather than shoehorning everything which we already do into Skype. They're ballsing up everything to justify a bullshit acquisition. Again.

I 100% agree, the reason iMessage works so well is how integrated it is into iOS (it's also the reason why leaving iOS is such a pain in the rear end, of course, but we could benefit from hindsight on that one)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

edit: oh hey you guys still on windows phone can have the mobile steam app now :unsmith:

New UWP version of Facebook Messenger today as well (seems improved, but the scrolling is not super-smooth which is a bit annoying), so not a bad day in W10M app land v:shobon:v

e: Also new version of Spotify (still old APIs) with a new a bit snazzier a look.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I just hope that Snapchat rumour is real (... I can dream), that plus Steam were my biggest app gaps. Don't really care about YouTube, in my experience the mobile site is equally as poo poo as the Android/iOS app anyway.

I'm also slightly miffed about the Skype messaging thing, which I find to be a very insecure, unreliable piece of crapware that gives the otherwise fine country of Estonia a bad name.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
BTW the VLC UWP is out in "beta" now, in the store. Tell me how much it sucks :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DarkMalfunction posted:

I just hope that Snapchat rumour is real (... I can dream), that plus Steam were my biggest app gaps. Don't really care about YouTube, in my experience the mobile site is equally as poo poo as the Android/iOS app anyway.

I didn't care for most of the Youtube apps in the Store (especially the web wrappers...) but TubeCast is a drat fine replacement. It is to Youtube as Tweetium is to Twitter.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I didn't care for most of the Youtube apps in the Store (especially the web wrappers...) but TubeCast is a drat fine replacement. It is to Youtube as Tweetium is to Twitter.

Does it do live YouTubes? MetroTube doesn't.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 1, 2016

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I upgraded my Icon to W10 last night. No hitches at all so far. Every app that needed to be updated did so automatically, Edge seems much better than IE, and the People hub is gone though I knew that was going to happen.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

I upgraded my Icon to W10 last night. No hitches at all so far. Every app that needed to be updated did so automatically, Edge seems much better than IE, and the People hub is gone though I knew that was going to happen.

Through Verizon or some other way?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Anonononomous posted:

Through Verizon or some other way?

Yeah, I have Verizon. I had to download an app called "Update Advisor" which verified I could receive it and then updated it through Settings the usual way.

I noticed one feature I use regularly that's gone though: Speech-to-text. There's no microphone in the messaging app anymore. Did speech-to-text seriously get stripped away in Windows 10 or am I missing something?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah, I have Verizon. I had to download an app called "Update Advisor" which verified I could receive it and then updated it through Settings the usual way.

I noticed one feature I use regularly that's gone though: Speech-to-text. There's no microphone in the messaging app anymore. Did speech-to-text seriously get stripped away in Windows 10 or am I missing something?

It's still there. It's on the keyboard, where the predictive text box is. Just press it and talk. You might need to download the voice pack in Settings / Languages / Voice in order to see it though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Drastic Actions posted:

It's still there. It's on the keyboard, where the predictive text box is. Just press it and talk. You might need to download the voice pack in Settings / Languages / Voice in order to see it though.

Yeah, it's there now. I went ahead and set up Cortana for the first time since upgrading to Windows 10, had her send a couple text messages to a couple of my friends for fun, and now all the sudden the microphone icon is present in messaging.

Now I just need for the battery life to improve and I'll go back to having no complaints.

Edit: Ooh, I can even reply to threads here now using speech-to-text. Snazzy.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OK, just found a new problem. Why can't I send pictures in text messages all of the sudden? It just hangs for 2-3 minutes and tells me it can't send it. If someone sends me a picture, I just get a "Download" box. When I tap Download, it starts to do something, but then just goes back to the Download box like nothing happened.

Is there another messaging app I can use as a workaround or do I try a factory reset on my phone?

Edit: A factory reset seemed to fix it. Should have done that straight-out.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Might be a network thing. I get that occasionally on my Android phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/1/12077548/nuans-neo-windows-10-mobile-kickstarter-launch

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Drastic Actions posted:

BTW the VLC UWP is out in "beta" now, in the store. Tell me how much it sucks :v:

It's pretty awesome :). I've been using it on my desktop - a few crashes, but overall very good.

I would suggest making search more accessible if you can do it... it works well enough, but it seems almost hidden and a permanent search box would be very helpful. Groove is not a great app, but I feel like it does search pretty well once your music library has been indexed.

Seriously though, great effort and very nice app. It's exciting to see how far it has come.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does VLC plug into OneDrive at all? I stream off there to save space on my phone and Surface, but it isn't picking up any files from there.

On an unrelated note, WiFi and mobile hotspot were working on my 640 for all of five minutes, then suddenly stopped working and now both of them refuse to turn on, let alone connect. Restarting doesn't help.

Edit: Bluetooth tethering still works, but my phone just disconnects from my Surface immediately, so I can't use it.

Is there a word for the phenomenon where a simple computerized task takes so long that you no longer need to do it, because every possible avenue just straight up fails on you at that exact moment?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 3, 2016

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Does VLC plug into OneDrive at all? I stream off there to save space on my phone and Surface, but it isn't picking up any files from there.

It looks like you can play stuff from OneDrive by going to "Browse" and then "Open File" (the button on the top right) which then sends you to the file browser. That method, however, then downloads a local copy of what you want to play instead of streaming so it'll temporarily take up space and the downloading can take some time depending on the size of the file.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there a word for the phenomenon where a simple computerized task takes so long that you no longer need to do it, because every possible avenue just straight up fails on you at that exact moment?

You've just described the Windows Mobile strategy.

I'm perpetually plagued by MMSes coming through 50% of the time. I put it down to dual SIM and data being locked to one SIM but there's also a smattering of T-Mob APN settings and general lack of a rubust W10M system, though your guess is as good as mine. I've tweaked and reset and updated often enough to not know which variable is the one to focus on. Same problem with group messages - try that see what happens.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Mr Funkface posted:

You've just described the Windows Mobile strategy.

I'm perpetually plagued by MMSes coming through 50% of the time. I put it down to dual SIM and data being locked to one SIM but there's also a smattering of T-Mob APN settings and general lack of a rubust W10M system, though your guess is as good as mine. I've tweaked and reset and updated often enough to not know which variable is the one to focus on. Same problem with group messages - try that see what happens.

I spent 30mins on the phone with tmobile yesterday about how I can only send/receive MMS and group texts when disconnected from wifi on my WM10 640. There were three things we did that seem to have fixed it:

(1) turn off wifi calling (??)
(2) turn on roaming (??)
(3) under settings > network > cellular > SIM settings, the MMS APN had been blank, so we added one:
APN = fast.t-mobile.com
Type of sign info = none
IP type = IPv4v6
MMSC url = http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
apply this profile = checked
all other fields = left blank

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I was pondering that the other day though, how is the experience for leaving the fast track? Will I just get an update the next time the stable branch passes it in version numbers, or is there more work (i.e. a reset or other nastyness) involved? I am indeed in the situation where the insider builds brings me nothing I feel any special hurry with, but sometimes break things.

Don't suppose anyone has an answer to this? Because I am in the exact same situation - I'm pretty satisfied with how the anniversary update is shaping up, but I could do without things like my current hotspot woes. I guess I could just drop back to the slow ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Drastic Actions posted:

I agree that removing it sucks, because it did work great. I would also say that the Skype UWP is a vast improvement over the Windows 8.1 app and the normal desktop one (If only because those loving ads are the worst :argh:). So I disagree with it being a worse experience. I mean, the app's in dogfooding right now (and I think some of them leaked? But they're older) but it works well. So I'll hold judgment until I see that they won't add SMS support to iOS and Android. Then I'll bitch again.

If you have a positive skype credit balance it doesn't show advertisements in the desktop version. If you use bing rewards just redeem some points for 0.99 or something like that.