Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

“We could proceed to an indictment, but if Loretta Lynch is the head of the DOJ in the United States, she’s not going to indict Hillary Clinton,” Assange told ITV. “That’s not possible that could happen."

How convenient. "Well, I mean, she WASN'T, but she totally WOULD have been, except"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lol that wikileaks has gotten to the point where they have to pretend to get the secret scope from foia'ed documents

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'd tell you to gently caress off, Assange but that's part of your problem.

Remember when their was not one but two wiki leaks movies out in a single year?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DemeaninDemon posted:

Does John Cena abuse PEDs? He seems too cool to Chris Benoit himself. :smith:

Pretty sure all those dudes are giving nature an under-the-radar boost to achieve physiques like that. Though, it was likely worse back in the day?

Anyway, it was my understanding that Benoit's drive for authenticism is what did him in. As in, he actually took all those massive hits to the head for realises, instead of just for show.

He was simply too hardcore for this world :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Remember when Wikileaks used to be a force of kindagood? I miss those days.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

I'd tell you to gently caress off, Assange but that's part of your problem.

Remember when their was not one but two wiki leaks movies out in a single year?

Wasn't one some weird CIA funded hit piece on him?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe the FBI will indict if that Assange jerk comes and testifies in court against Hillary.

I'm just sad because PEDs are pretty hard on the body. Mentally and physically.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Farnham's Freehold, the black people are cannibals too.

Farnham's is science fiction, isn't it? Le Guin did some short stories with that premise, too, so they might not be terrible.

Bip Roberts posted:

Edit Lion's Blood?

Even more recently there was this

there wolf fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wasn't one some weird CIA funded hit piece on him?

I looks it up and it turns out there were actually three of them released to theaters all in 2013. One was accused of being a CIA plot, the other of Disney not listening to Assnage or consulting him, and the third was released to theaters by wiki leaks to counter the Disney film.

All of them failed miserably at the box office so I think ultimately the American people were exposed to absolutely nothing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

there wolf posted:

Farnham's is science fiction, isn't it? Le Guin did some short stories with that premise, too, so they might not be terrible.

You're right, it's sci-fi.

Le Guin might have something decent. Farnham's is pretty offensive.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Phone posted:

Whenever I'm up in Minneapolis, their Coffee Bender is my poison of choice. So good.

It is good but if you're around here and haven't had Fulton's War & Peace or Lift Bridge's Irish Coffee Stout then you haven't truly lived.

PM me if you're around and I'll do my best ;-* (goes for anyone, really)

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 5, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Town fireworks entertainment for the night:

I took my young daughter and wife to watch the town fireworks display. We met up with some of my coworkers and watched from the parking lot of my school. This is what I was able to witness tonight:

Right before we got there I missed one lady recite the pledge of allegiance to the confederate flag.
This woman along with another drunk lady yelling USA! USA! at each other from across the street.
A family shooting fireworks off in the middle of a street while cars tried to drive by.
Lady came over and offered money to the young kids of our group if they could recite the pledge. 4 boys took her up on this offer and probably received boob or crotch sweat money.
Lady started crying while singing the national anthem at the fireworks.
The other lady started yelling "Hallelujah amen!!!!!!" At the fireworks.
"I will praise that there is no Isis tonight. No Isis tonight. " was said because the fireworks would scare them off.
One of the ladies kept her hand raised in a black power salute through the entire fireworks.
Stood up when Toby Keith Stars and Stripes came on a radio
Said Toby Keith sang God bless the USA.
When we went to leave after the fireworks were done, one of the ladies started yelling to us that this was not over and that we needed to be more patriotic.

Happy 'Merica Day

I bet one of those boys could have given her a heart attack by leaving out "under God".

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Wait are these the double-secret bombshell emails Assange has been threatening/promising to release for weeks which will sink her for sure this time? A thousand emails willingly given up by the State Department via a FOIA request, and a lame "well the fix is in :qq:"?

If so, then ah ha ha ha ha h aha h aha ha ahah ahah ahah ah

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember when Wikileaks used to be a force of kindagood? I miss those days.

it's all been downhill since they decided their number one priority should be defending a rapist instead of just throwing assange in the trashcan like he deserves

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Empress Theonora posted:

it's all been downhill since they decided their number one priority should be defending a rapist instead of just throwing assange in the trashcan like he deserves

Defenders will just say that it was a baseless accusation that was created simply because the US wanted to extradict him on that excuse. I'm not familiar at all with the case however. Of course he is STILL evading a sexual assault charge, so obviously that's pretty bad to defend.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Artificer posted:

Defenders will just say that it was a baseless accusation that was created simply because the US wanted to extradict him on that excuse. I'm not familiar at all with the case however. Of course he is STILL evading a sexual assault charge, so obviously that's pretty bad to defend.

the USA is for sure trying to extradite him regardless of the charges.

edit: yeah assange is a bad guy for raping people, but i don't blame him for not wanting to let the USA get their hands on him. who wants the rest of their life being in gitmo.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 5, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I had this today while watching fireworks and then playing cards against humanity.

The drink was more American than that papist drink beer.

Also my favorite right wing tin foil podcaster ghost has a very bad day with people redoing his intro as True Communist Radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpgNw5F3Y4

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

the USA is for sure trying to extradite him regardless of the charges.

edit: yeah assange is a bad guy for raping people, but i don't blame him for not wanting to let the USA get their hands on him. who wants the rest of their life being in gitmo.

You know, it could just be that he's innocent and didn't rape anyone! Nah, surely he is a horrible rapist and the accusations have nothing to do with Wikileaks.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Noam Chomsky posted:

You know, it could just be that he's innocent and didn't rape anyone! Nah, surely he is a horrible rapist and the accusations have nothing to do with Wikileaks.

I always love the amount the tankies engage in rape appologism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

I take all rape accusations at face value.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Noam Chomsky posted:

Or he could be a rapist and the whole thing's about wikileaks as well.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

botany posted:

Or he could be a rapist and the whole thing's about wikileaks as well.

Considering how much of an edgelord Assange is I'm almost certain this is the case. It's loving embarrassing in retrospect that defending Wikileaks' early success implicitly means you have to defend that rear end in a top hat in the eyes of your conservative friends. I'm glad newer whistle blowers like Snowden have mostly made people forget about Assange, much to his anger.

Also it seems rather disingenuous as leftists to say on one hand, rape is bad, rape culture is bad, women should be believed when they say they are attacked, and then in the next breath say, well this woman is a liar who is only claiming rape to further the American imperial agenda, or what have you. You can say that Assange should not be extradited to the US for political crimes while also acknowledging his status as a Massive rear end in a top hat Dick and probable sexual predator.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So.... did anyone bother to read any of the emails?

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 5, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm glad newer whistle blowers like Snowden have mostly made people forget about Assange, much to his anger.
John Oliver basically showed in his first season that the average American thinks that Assange and Snowden are the same person.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Inferior Third Season posted:

John Oliver basically showed in his first season that the average American thinks that Assange and Snowden are the same person.

My condolences to Snowden.

As per the emails, I skimmed the first couple and it seems pretty banal. A lot of them are to Hillary, not from. A lot of "a thing happened, have an AP article Madame Secretary." One rather amusing one on how to help Iraq produce and export more oil, though nothing aggressive or undiplomatic (to my admittedly untrained eyes). A couple marked sensitive but not classified, which I presume is not what the "indict Killary" crowd wants to hear.

I dunno, I'm on a phone so I can't read a thousand boring office emails from the State Delartment, but there's no loving way Wikileaks got damning evidence that would incriminate Hillary in anything worse than anybody else in Washington does from a FOIA request and the FBI wouldn't know about it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Town fireworks entertainment for the night:

I took my young daughter and wife to watch the town fireworks display. We met up with some of my coworkers and watched from the parking lot of my school. This is what I was able to witness tonight:

Right before we got there I missed one lady recite the pledge of allegiance to the confederate flag.
This woman along with another drunk lady yelling USA! USA! at each other from across the street.
A family shooting fireworks off in the middle of a street while cars tried to drive by.
Lady came over and offered money to the young kids of our group if they could recite the pledge. 4 boys took her up on this offer and probably received boob or crotch sweat money.
Lady started crying while singing the national anthem at the fireworks.
The other lady started yelling "Hallelujah amen!!!!!!" At the fireworks.
"I will praise that there is no Isis tonight. No Isis tonight. " was said because the fireworks would scare them off.
One of the ladies kept her hand raised in a black power salute through the entire fireworks.
Stood up when Toby Keith Stars and Stripes came on a radio
Said Toby Keith sang God bless the USA.
When we went to leave after the fireworks were done, one of the ladies started yelling to us that this was not over and that we needed to be more patriotic.

Happy 'Merica Day

This is so very very much more tame than the early 2000's. We have no memory in this country, that is one of the worst/best things about us.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seriously by the time you're three generations into America, no one cares about the divisions in their home country. County Antrim v County Cork, Prague v Brno, Munich v Hamburg, Herat v Kabul, no one gives a poo poo after three generations. All ethnicities are reduced to drinking holidays. The Emperor of all drinking holidays is the 4th of July. That's the amazing thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

That Snowden movie should change things.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So.... did anyone bother to read any of the emails?

I've clicked through a bunch of random ones. Much like the previous emails, they seem to be a mix of media FWDs, questions about scheduling, and occasional conversations about printer toner. There's a pretty good one with staffers mailing conspiracy theories to one another, and apparently Hillary was trying to help with medical reforms in Haiti. :shrug:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Seriously by the time you're three generations into America, no one cares about the divisions in their home country. County Antrim v County Cork, Prague v Brno, Munich v Hamburg, Herat v Kabul, no one gives a poo poo after three generations. All ethnicities are reduced to drinking holidays. The Emperor of all drinking holidays is the 4th of July. That's the amazing thing.

St Patrick's Day would like a word with you. This is a holiday whose sole purpose is drinking. At least with other holidays you have some other nominal goal, such as trick-or-treating, or celebrating the birth of America, or changing to a new calendar, or trying to forget how racist your extended family actually is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://nypost.com/2016/07/05/trump-supporter-says-mexican-restaurant-refused-to-serve-her/

quote:

An Orange County woman claims she was tossed from a Mexican restaurant Sunday, not for too much tequila — but for too much Trump.

Esther Levy, 61, of Warwick, said an employee at the popular Cancun Inn eatery in Sugar Loaf chucked her out for wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat and a Trump button.

Levy said she was booted for her support for the presidential candidate who wants to curtail illegal immigration and build a wall on the Mexican border.

Joined by retired local judge Alvin Goldstein, she took a seat and ordered two sangrias from a smiling waitress without incident, Levy recalled.

But the server soon returned and told them they had to leave.

“I was shocked,” Levy, a writer, told The Post. “She [the waitress] seemed very surprised by it all and was told to refuse us service. We just got up and started to leave.”

Levy said a man who identified himself as a co-owner blasted Levy and Goldstein for supporting Donald Trump as they left.

“On the way out, the co-owner decided to yell at me and humiliate me,” Levy recalled. “He said, ‘We don’t serve Trump supporters here. Get out of here and never come back.’ ”

uh oh, someone's restaurant is about to get a whole bunch of death threats.

trumpvoter.jpg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it within a private business owner's rights to refuse service to certain patrons, so long as the basis for the refusal isn't discrimination under a protected classification (which "being a Trump supporter" would not be)?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it within a private business owner's rights to refuse service to certain patrons, so long as the basis for the refusal isn't discrimination under a protected classification (which "being a Trump supporter" would not be)?

*gasp* conservative person has a persecution complex and sees themselves as a victim in any situation they can?!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're going to :qq: since bakers have to make cakes for gay weddings or w/e

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The "silent minority"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Political affiliation is not a protected class, so tell that lady to gently caress off.

:qq: "No shirts, no shoes, no service" is against my rights! :qq:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
:lol: He obtained the emails through FOIA, nothing in them is going to be anything that someone hasn't already seen.

Also, again, the burden of proof here has to be that she knowingly compromised classified material (that was classified at the time) with malicious intent. It's a very high bar and it's not happening.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Sir Tonk posted:

The "silent minority"

from the looks of her picture, the wheezing minority is more accurate

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:lol: He obtained the emails through FOIA, nothing in them is going to be anything that someone hasn't already seen.

Also, again, the burden of proof here has to be that she knowingly compromised classified material (that was classified at the time) with malicious intent. It's a very high bar and it's not happening.
It also would have been found by now; you know there is some GOP staffer assigned to just pour through those emails with a fine-toothed comb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also would have been found by now; you know there is some GOP staffer assigned to just pour through those emails with a fine-toothed comb

In addition to the literal hundreds of reporters doing the same.

• Locked thread