Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's why I prefer believing he can only mind hack if he's in close proximity to the person. For Carlos and Diana being assholes, there are an infinite number of timeliness, which means there has to be ones where they do it.

Also if she was being controlled, it makes that one ending where Diana chose to stay way weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Forer posted:

I would be cool with this twist if it made sense by q's shadows appearing in C team and D team stuff, if he needed to be there with Q team to do ~MIND HACKING~ then why didn't he need to be there for those two in the acid bath rooms to make diana and carlos push the button? if he did his fancy mind hacking stuff through cameras then why did he need to be there with Q team at all? If it's the player who's actually delta and you're the person mindhacking them from your decision game magic then why can you do it in a number of situations where delta ain't there or is just dead. (Force quit decision game as a good example)

Like poo poo, it makes as much sense to say "THE PLAYER IS GAB!"

He had to be with Q team as the 3rd member in order to keep up appearances. He was part of the Dcom project, and it may have looked weird to kidnap everyone and force they through the game if he didn't get kidnapped with them.

Remember, every time anyone mentioned Q, they were referring to Delta, not Sean because no one knew who the hell Sean was.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the player is looking through cameras the whole time. The recording of Carlos killing Akane was from same angles the player saw the scene, right?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think the player is looking through cameras the whole time. The recording of Carlos killing Akane was from same angles the player saw the scene, right?

That probably is more for budgetary/laziness than anything else. They are not going to rerender the scene from a different angle.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If they wanted to make it seem like the camera had a different perspective they easily could have done so. There are plenty of camera angle changes in the game.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Really Pants posted:

They survived for ten months so I would assume they stumbled on it at some point.

Sigma estimated they had 10 months of food solely from the cans at the counter at the bar right after they were stranded.

Orabilis fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
So wait, when they were sending Gab through the vents with notes to talk to the other teams, where did those vents actually lead to? Was Gab just eating his cheese and chilling for a while until a new team rocked up?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You've unlocked some new files.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conclusions posted:

So wait, when they were sending Gab through the vents with notes to talk to the other teams, where did those vents actually lead to? Was Gab just eating his cheese and chilling for a while until a new team rocked up?

Presumably one of the Seanbots just held onto him until it was time to send him out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Conclusions posted:

The files you unlock after the true ending explains it. Gab was pretty much just eating cheese and sleeping on a rug inside the vent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there some kind of running tally for each character's direct kill count by the end of the game? I mean Eric/Mira are probably on top, Phi/Sigma are relatively bloodless, and Team C kill each other every other jump.

I think in my mind the rough leaderboard is:

1. Mira
2. Eric
3. Carlos
4. Akane
5. Diana
6. Sean
7. Junpei
8. Sigma
9. Phi
10. Delta

Why is Delta above Sigma and Phi when he killed Mira in a history and Mind Hacked Eric to kill multiple people in another?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly the idea that cheese in the middle of a vent would cause him to keep moving forward to the next ward seemed kind of strange to me in the first place. Wouldn't he want to come back and get more cheese from the person who threw it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gabs motives are... complex.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gab got mind hacked by Delta to come back for more cheese. Delta shot Gab because the dog ate all of Delta's cheese.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also: dogs like cheese?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Also: dogs like cheese?

Dogs like anything edible and lots of things that aren't

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fair enough

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
The player's viewpoint is definitely supposed to be the security cameras - I distinctly remember some fragments ending with an effect similar to a screen shutting down and turning to static (but I don't remember how many)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Would it make sense then that the viewpoint is actually Sean in a way? I'm assuming Delta's Quantum Computer is hooked up to the security cameras and Sean is part of that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

One thing that kind of annoys me with the whole camera thing is, Sigma was the viewpoint character of VLR, but they used a camera switching effect whenever you made choices, and that meant absolutely nothing. I don't really know if I like the game of picking and choosing what design elements are actually meant to mean anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Momomo posted:

One thing that kind of annoys me with the whole camera thing is, Sigma was the viewpoint character of VLR, but they used a camera switching effect whenever you made choices, and that meant absolutely nothing. I don't really know if I like the game of picking and choosing what design elements are actually meant to mean anything.

That was Sigma's robot eye.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe he's glancing around the room

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

This is my big problem with the reveal.

"The decisions are mind hacking" needs to beither all or none. Having some be mind hacking and some not devalues the reveal.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Clarste posted:

That was Sigma's robot eye.

That just makes him never noticing his evil scientist eye even more ridiculous then.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thinking about why Carlos was part of it all-the game seems to imply it's only because he's a SHIFTer, but it would have been cool to find out he was chosen not just for that reason, but so that he could get the information necessary to save his sister from her incurable anime illness. Delta thinks humans are dicks but still apparently wants to save humanity, and since Carlos appears to be a genuinely good person Delta could have MIND HACKed him at some point before the game and seen that, and for that reason picked him specifically over some other SHIFTer to give him the chance at saving Maria. There's the parallels with Maria/real Sean, them both having incurable illnesses, the person that cares about them being unable to save them, etc.

I did think they might touch upon that in game at some point, like when Delta was talking about a few of his motives, since there were similarities but nope

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thinking about why Carlos was part of it all-the game seems to imply it's only because he's a SHIFTer, but it would have been cool to find out he was chosen not just for that reason, but so that he could get the information necessary to save his sister from her incurable anime illness. Delta thinks humans are dicks but still apparently wants to save humanity, and since Carlos appears to be a genuinely good person Delta could have MIND HACKed him at some point before the game and seen that, and for that reason picked him specifically over some other SHIFTer to give him the chance at saving Maria. There's the parallels with Maria/real Sean, them both having incurable illnesses, the person that cares about them being unable to save them, etc.

I did think they might touch upon that in game at some point, like when Delta was talking about a few of his motives, since there were similarities but nope

The Zero that Sean talks to and Delta kinda seem like completely different characters, yeah. I wish they had done more with that, that scene was better characterization than basically the rest of Delta's stuff put together. Does he even acknowledge Sean directly ever again aside from a "lol you're a computer" context?

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Isn't the sister's illness that she's getting information overload from the morphogenetic field? Maybe the cure was training Carlos, who could teach Maria how to control it in turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Delta basically said at the end that his goal was to create the happiest possible ending in at least one timeline, so we can assume that anything improved by his meddling (such as Carlos learning about his sister's problem) was part of that happy ending.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mira breaking out of jail to tell her past self not to kill people could also be part of his plan. Really, you could probably pin the entire series happening at all on her.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
But it's more convenient to blame the snail

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered: there's a route in the game where a couple of people get killed by a person in a hooded cloak, and one person gets killed just before escaping. Is it ever explained who the cloaked person is? It's possible I just missed it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's Mira who is wearing the Free the Soul cloak for no particular reason. You can see her black nails whrn she's walking out the X door.

E: that reminds me, the X door is actually the 10 door

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mira. It's both obvious because of her fingernails and Delta outright explains it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered: there's a route in the game where a couple of people get killed by a person in a hooded cloak, and one person gets killed just before escaping. Is it ever explained who the cloaked person is? It's possible I just missed it.

It's Mira. She's also the one who diced up Junpei. Delta mentions that Mira never got the full knockout drug cocktail, and was left to do as she pleased.

Q-Team was supposed to be the "piranha in the koi tank," the threat that spurred the shifters into action.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orabilis posted:

Isn't the sister's illness that she's getting information overload from the morphogenetic field? Maybe the cure was training Carlos, who could teach Maria how to control it in turn.

yeah and i believe the ending file for carlos is him helping maria do just that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the 2 things i liked best about the ending was carlos and the gang being given a gun to make a decision completely without player input, and sean somehow living in the outside world despite going everywhere with a giant dome where his head should be

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's Mira who is wearing the Free the Soul cloak for no particular reason. You can see her black nails whrn she's walking out the X door.

E: that reminds me, the X door is actually the 10 door

Was it a Free the Soul cloak? I thought it was just the sheet they use for people in the pods.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I finished the game today, and overall I'm happy with it, although I would have liked a little more closure for the ending.

I had been a little concerned about the game's Steam specs being higher than expected, and it turned out that although it mostly ran okay, there were some problems. Various things like the menu buttons in cinema mode did not load, and they just looked like blank white squares. It was mostly not a big deal, as although there were a handful of puzzles where necessary images didn't display, that could be dealt with easily by using a guide. The only thing which was truly murder was the dragon puzzle in the locker room, since have you tried doing an image matching rotating puzzle where you can't see the images?

The non-serial nature of the game was fun, and it'd be worth playing it again to see the differences. The first puzzle room I did was the Study, and the first ending I got was Q-END: 1, so I was seeing all the hints about Mira being a serial killer after I already knew it for certain.

There are a lot of things the game did which were well-done and full of hints in retrospect. The talk about parasites and the Fanatic vs Radical 6 decision were quite meaningful, although I didn't understand them fully at the time.

Incorrect plot guesses:
    - I thought that Diana and Phi were fraternal twins, because Phi had red hair the same shade as Diana's and she was very fond of and huggy about Diana, plus one of Phi's x-passes being "twin".

- I thought that the "mom" and "dad" x-passes and the fact that several x-passes referenced events in Virture's Last Reward could mean that Kyle was Zero. (Not that Diana was around at the same time as Kyle or genetically related, but I thought it could work just on the basis of Diana being Sigma's deceased partner.) Or at minimum that someone from Virtue's Last Reward had to be in on the plot and had perhaps used the transporter to reach Zero Time Dilemma's time.

- Once the transporter was introduced, I had two different ideas. One, that Zero's work was being carried out by copies of the characters themselves who had been persuaded to join in on the plot and fool their slightly younger selves for the greater good. Two, that the copies sent by the transporter were vulnerable to mind control and were being used as puppets by Zero. The transporter seemed like a great way of getting around there not being supposed to be anyone else in the individual wards.

- I thought that maybe the purpose of the game was to activate the characters' psychic powers in a way which would let them affect the consciousness of that one snail in the past, like a parasite.

Team D was my favourite team, and I was so happy to be seeing Phi and Sigma again after VLR. Best characters. I do feel that there were a few issues with the writing, particularly that Phi was under-utilised. I liked that as sweet and nice as Diana was, she wasn't sweet and nice in the same way that Luna was, since Luna was really an idealised version of her.

Team Q sucked, but I liked Sean a lot and strangely enough he was one of the most sympathetic characters in the game. He wasn't a bad kid, but he was morally grey enough to find the idea of killing someone for an x-pass not completely unattractive. He was stuck with a bunch of psychos and was scared of them at times, but they were all he knew, and so they were incredibly important people for him. I hope that somebody made the poor kid a better head after the game. Eric was reasonably nuanced too, taking his history and how mentally fragile he was into account, but I just didn't like him. Mira's secret wasn't very interesting for me, but her uncanny calmness did add something to the game, I think.The Q reveal could have been done better, but it does turn out that there were an awful lot of hints about Q's identity.

Carlos was a good guy, and I liked that he really was as he seemed. He struck a good balance of being genuinely nice but not annoying. The team C shifting shenanigans were a lot of fun. Akane and Junpei could be annoying (JUNPEI AND THAT AB GAME), but at least they were interesting. I did find it a pity the way that Akane and Sigma's being Zeroes of different games wasn't used to full effect, and the way they acted did seem a bit hypocritical at times.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

Was it a Free the Soul cloak? I thought it was just the sheet they use for people in the pods.

I'm pretty sure its the same cloak that Zero gives Akane in that weird ending where he invites her to a FtS rally

I guess she has it on so that her reveal as the heart ripper isn't spoiled early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Today I learned you can answer Who Killed Mira with "donno".

• Locked thread