Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Nemico posted:

Swinging the sword will behave differently based on how far the mouse cursor is from your character. Off the top of my head, if the cursor is close to your character it will swing towards it and if the cursor is far away it will just swing the sword in whatever direction the character is facing. I may have that backwards but that is definitely the concept.

Movement also makes you strike in the direction your facing. This includes attack made shortly after moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Playing with a game pad eliminates a lot of character facing issues

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Playing with a game pad eliminates a lot of character facing issues

You get used to them pretty quickly.

A game pad would rob me of the ability to interact with things around me separately from the character.

Unless the gamepad version operates the mouse with a joystick or such.... My last gamepad experience was the dreamcast.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

You get used to them pretty quickly.

A game pad would rob me of the ability to interact with things around me separately from the character.

Unless the gamepad version operates the mouse with a joystick or such.... My last gamepad experience was the dreamcast.

It does that.

Requires some getting used to, but you can pull off some neat tricks when you've figured it out!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As janky as the gamepad controls are, I still prefer them over Mouse + KB. Makes movement, fishing, and combat much easier, plus the right analog stick can function as a mouse if you need it (though I just use my mouse anyway the few times if needed).

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mega64 posted:

As janky as the gamepad controls are, I still prefer them over Mouse + KB. Makes movement, fishing, and combat much easier, plus the right analog stick can function as a mouse if you need it (though I just use my mouse anyway the few times if needed).

Yeah, it feels like the game isn't really optimized for either. I use mostly the gamepad and just use the mouse as needed

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've found combat to be pretty easy myself, unless it ramps up at a certain point. I just got to level 80 and didn't go any further due to exhaustion. I'm running two weapons, a store bought Templar Sword and a badass Broken Trident dagger I got as a fishing chest reward. It works best for single targets and the sword is best for multiple or mobile enemies.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zack Ater posted:

When slimes jump at you, block (right-click.)

You can block? :wow:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Dick Trauma posted:

You can block? :wow:

.....you don't accidentally block all the time when you're walking around with your sword selected so you don't accidentally swing a tool and waste energy? :v:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Its the Interact key right? I know its the A button on the Xbox controller.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Zack Ater posted:

.....you don't accidentally block all the time when you're walking around with your sword selected so you don't accidentally swing a tool and waste energy? :v:

I usually keep an empty slot on my bar that I go to when roaming around. I hate when I try to talk to someone and suddenly turn into an axe murderer.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Who has time to block? I'll let the slimes dissolve the outer layers of my skin and chew on some of the 999 Blackberries I have on hand.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MrSlam posted:

Who has time to block? I'll let the slimes dissolve the outer layers of my skin and chew on some of the 999 Blackberries I have on hand.

This, but maple bars. (I went orchard-crazy early.)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I have a billion Field Snacks. So many unwanted tree seeds get planted!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It turns out that renaming my dog did not really stop Sam from spawning on top of him. It doesn't happen every day, which is why I thought it had gone away. Is there anything else I can do? The pause menu clearly shows that the dog's name is DogSam now, but yet Sam still remains...

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
thats what u get for being a filthy cheater

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Lakitu7 posted:

It turns out that renaming my dog did not really stop Sam from spawning on top of him. It doesn't happen every day, which is why I thought it had gone away. Is there anything else I can do? The pause menu clearly shows that the dog's name is DogSam now, but yet Sam still remains...

The only solution is to marry him. Sam is your dog now, dog. Complete with leash, collar, and daily loves.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

I haven't checked in this context, but some things have redundant values. (Inventory items have Stack and stack.) I'm guessing one's an actual value and one's a display value, but I haven't played with it. Ctrl+f Sam?

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

Divine Blob posted:

thats what u get for being a filthy cheater

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Sorry to keep posting about combat. I'd just lead an idyllic life petting cows if I could but I need iron ore. Plus, my other skills keep leveling up and my combat one doesn't, which is odd.

Anyway, sometimes when I'm in the mines, stuff gets hazy and a bunch of flies come at me and bite me. Do I have zika?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Nah that's just the game deciding you're too comfortable. Leave the level ASAP if possible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

God, gently caress Sebastian for never leaving his room. I want to deliver you the Iron Bar you wanted you fuckstain, open the door!

:argh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bean posted:

Sorry to keep posting about combat. I'd just lead an idyllic life petting cows if I could but I need iron ore. Plus, my other skills keep leveling up and my combat one doesn't, which is odd.

Anyway, sometimes when I'm in the mines, stuff gets hazy and a bunch of flies come at me and bite me. Do I have zika?

Combat requires a lot of killing to level and honestly the gains aren't great anyway, you get a whopping +5 HP per level woohoo.

Upgrading your weapons is by far more important, though you can easily get by buying only one or two weapons (or grind for the Insect Head with bonus bug meat, or hope for lucky weapon drops) before you find the Obsidian Sword, and that should do until you can unlock the secret best sword.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The mines give you a welfare sword every few levels. I tend to just run past every mob and mine out the next ladder to try and get to those swords.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zephyrine posted:

The mines give you a welfare sword every few levels. I tend to just run past every mob and mine out the next ladder to try and get to those swords.

It isn't every few levels, you get one at 20 and then you don't get another one until level 90.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Coolguye posted:

It isn't every few levels, you get one at 20 and then you don't get another one until level 90.

Between that there are some ridiculously common drop swords like the forest sword.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bean posted:

I don't know if they fixed it, but you used to be able to pause the game until the haze went away.

Not that it's necessary or anything. You can just go down a level.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or just kill them all until they stop. :black101:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is still good

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eonwe posted:

game is still good

Agreed, only minor issue at this point is people wandering away from their sales points so I can't buy poo poo from them.

:argh: Marnie I just want to buy a goat, go behind the counter! I see you just staring at your microwave, don't ignore me! :argh:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Agreed, only minor issue at this point is people wandering away from their sales points so I can't buy poo poo from them.

:argh: Marnie I just want to buy a goat, go behind the counter! I see you just staring at your microwave, don't ignore me! :argh:

Oh god, this. Or when Pierre goes and stares at his shelves for the last hour his shop is open. You know who doesn't leave their post? THE JOJA MART CASHIER!

Anyone know when the next update is? I know it's soon, but I want it now. :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Double-posting, but fair warning for anyone who finds Prismatic Shards: If you're turning one in for the Galaxy Sword, and happen to have 2 in your pack, it will eat both of them. Found that out the hard way. Happened to get 2 on an insanely lucrative Caverns run and.. yeah. gently caress everything. Hopefully I can find ONE MORE for Gunther.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Double-posting, but fair warning for anyone who finds Prismatic Shards: If you're turning one in for the Galaxy Sword, and happen to have 2 in your pack, it will eat both of them. Found that out the hard way. Happened to get 2 on an insanely lucrative Caverns run and.. yeah. gently caress everything. Hopefully I can find ONE MORE for Gunther.

I have like 20 or so.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Oh god, this. Or when Pierre goes and stares at his shelves for the last hour his shop is open. You know who doesn't leave their post? THE JOJA MART CASHIER!

Just a note that Pierre leaves his post the moment his shop closes, but his house is open longer. That's what's going on there - he's closed, you're just allowed to visit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I got this game on Steam sale and I stayed up until 4 playing it :( What an insanely relaxing game.

Also, is there a way to move chests in your house without emptying them out first?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you were awake until 4AM it can't be that relaxing...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I got this game on Steam sale and I stayed up until 4 playing it :( What an insanely relaxing game.

Also, is there a way to move chests in your house without emptying them out first?

If you could move a full chest then you'd have a Box of Holding. Then you start placing chests inside chests, and suddenly reality starts to break down. Then Yoba shows up and tells you to cut it out :cthulhu:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

How many hearts does it takes ducks to start giving you feathers? That's the last item I need for the community center.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I really wish people would say different things from year to year at festivals. There's like no reason to go around and talk to them..

I was talking to a friend about the game and we both agree that having new relationships crop up in town would be interesting - like if you wait too long to settle down and get married or start dating your dream girl is already taken.

I'm hoping he updates soon, I feel like I may be getting towards the end of current content and I'm only on Summer of year 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zack Ater posted:

How many hearts does it takes ducks to start giving you feathers? That's the last item I need for the community center.

They amount they're at when you finally buy one from the travelling cart