Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My biggest problem with The Evil Within was me constantly asking the question why they even had a health bar since most enemies in the game have a way to one hit kill Sebastian and most environmental traps are one hit kills too. It made the entire thing extremely stressful which I suppose is a good thing in a horror game but it felt like garbage to actually play. Then add the extreme lack of ammo on top of that and Ruvik's teleportation to right in front of you one hit kill bullshit in Chapter 9 and it really wasn't fun.

Maybe I just need to "git gud" or whatever but I just find one hit kills on almost everything to be cheap instead of challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My biggest problem with The Evil Within was me constantly asking the question why they even had a health bar since most enemies in the game have a way to one hit kill Sebastian and most environmental traps are one hit kills too. It made the entire thing extremely stressful which I suppose is a good thing in a horror game but it felt like garbage to actually play. Then add the extreme lack of ammo on top of that and Ruvik's teleportation to right in front of you one hit kill bullshit in Chapter 9 and it really wasn't fun.

Maybe I just need to "git gud" or whatever but I just find one hit kills on almost everything to be cheap instead of challenging.

If you focus on health upgrades you'll survive longer. "Most enemies" sounds like exaggeration to someone like me who has played the game multiple times and loved it. The game does have a lot of instant death moments compared to most games but I found them pretty entertaining.

The thing I like most is that you can get very creative with the weapons and environmental hazards to conserve your ammo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Evil Within rocks but the quality drops off towards the end and I've never bothered finishing it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should try TEW again at some point since I heard they patched out 'running like poo poo' eventually

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel that running and hiding is the essence of good horror and separates it from "game with horror elements." Problem is video games don't know how to communicate to the player, maybe even they can't because video games have a history of established rules behind them.

If you give me a gun you're saying your obstacles can be destroyed and I'll keep trying until I eventually get frustrated and stop playing. So here you have this game that carries the weight of Resident Evil 4 on its shoulders, whether intentionally or not, and maybe the development was hindered by two sides arguing "No, this should be RE4! No, this should be American long box Resident Evil!"

Mikami's actual answer to RE4 is Shadows of the Damned.

e: Man, Shadows even has an invincible one-shot-kill enemy that chases you but it's scripted so it's not like you're getting caught with your pants down.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 5, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
TEW starts from a tense survival shooter with limited resources and then later on you're taking cover fighting zombies with guns and gunning down hoards of them with mounted turrets

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Xenomrph posted:

And if we creatively expand "take care of" beyond "shoot in the face until dead", Alien Isolation gives you all the tools you need to survive.

But it didn't give me the one thing I needed to survive.

A decent story.

:smith:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CharlestonJew posted:

TEW starts from a tense survival shooter with limited resources and then later on you're taking cover fighting zombies with guns and gunning down hoards of them with mounted turrets

Yeah that was the weird part of the game, I found - it begins with you sneaking around a village, using stealth takedowns because alerting all your foes means death. Then they completely forgo this for big action scenes, almost never giving you the chance to use stealth ever again. It's like the game couldn't decide what it was supposed to be.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

treat posted:

What is it exactly that makes TEW such a bad game? I see people complaining about it all the time but I have never heard any good reasons.

The game has a lot of serious tone issues from what I've seen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Cat Lady is an extremely memorable and unique game. If you haven't played it, it is absolutely worth the price it's going for these days. It's unlike any other game I've played in terms of experience. Stellar stuff and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Anyone play the original version of the precursor: Downfall? Worth playing or should I just head for the remake?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Morpheus posted:

Yeah that was the weird part of the game, I found - it begins with you sneaking around a village, using stealth takedowns because alerting all your foes means death. Then they completely forgo this for big action scenes, almost never giving you the chance to use stealth ever again. It's like the game couldn't decide what it was supposed to be.

Yeah they went full Resident Evil 4 in parts with a castle with hanging cage snipers and other mad poo poo but it felt like they forgot Resident Evil 4 let you carry more than 3 bullets at a time.

Why has no game ever come close to being as fun as Resi 4?

I've tried to explain this to a pal who has only played 5 minutes of 4 but beat 5. Four is just more fun. I think new game + and all the mad weapon upgrades and gimmick runs might have something to do with it, but I can't articulate it properly.

Shadows of the Damned came close, KINDA. It had a merchant and all that, but the guns were just straight upgrades and couldn't be sold or mixed or matched. I really disliked the final upgrade for the machinegun and wanted to downgrade it, but no such luck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

The game has a lot of serious tone issues from what I've seen.

Not so much tone, it maintains the same gritty atmosphere throughout even as its setting changes radically from chapter to chapter. And that's the main thing - the game is crazy unfocused. It goes from RE4-esque mob battles to big boss fights to stealth to chase sequences without making any allowances in its mechanics for all these different events, and the game's basic loadout (RE6's movement, limited ammo, limited stealth options) is really not suited for everything TEW throws at you. You've got one square peg and at first you have a bunch of square holes but then you start getting circles and triangles and there's a loving rhombus in there and it becomes frustrating fast.

It's especially bad in the latter chapters, where you get hosed down with numerous enemies similar to the Island portion of RE4, but you've still got the same piddly amount of ammo as you did when you were stealthing around in the earlier chapters. And these enemies need to be killed - I'm pretty sure stealth attacks straight-up stop working after a certain point, with no warning given (which is another thing, it's really bad at communicating information to the player).

Also, it's not scary. Like, at all. Always a downside for something that's nominally horror.

I kind of admire it just for the range of concepts it trots out and that perfect RE4 head-splatter sound effect, but it was definitely one of those titles that kind of resists your attempts to have any fun with it.

edit: and everyone already said all this multiple times over. Whoops!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Danknificent posted:

A decent story.

I didn't have a problem with the story, personally. If anything I felt the game overstayed its welcome by the end, but that was due to the gameplay getting stale rather than the story writing itself into a corner or anything.

I wasn't a big fan of the cliffhanger ending that will likely never get resolved, though.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Danknificent posted:

A decent story.

Same. I'll put up with a lot of unfun gameplay if I'm invested in the story. I had no loving idea what the butt was going on/why I should care :( Didn't finish the game because I wasn't invested.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alien: Isolation's story is Alien if it had worse pacing and a bunch of unnecessary bulges and unsightly bloating.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Evil Within has a lot of really good stuff in it. You get a large and incredibly varied toolset for defending yourself, you get into a lot of really well-conceived fights and you go through a pretty good amount of interesting environments in the back half of the game. My biggest problem with the game is that it barely ever conveys how you're supposed to approach any given situation, and that's a big problem for a game that can go from stealth, to survival horror, to action horror to Uncharted-style setpiece in an instant. There were a lot of times where I put myself into an unwinnable situation because I wasted ammo on something I was supposed to run away from or didn't take time to set up traps in a wide-open combat arena before accidentally hitting the trigger for enemies to spawn in. It's game where you have to stumble into the right way to do something through deaths and trial-and-error. And that's really bad in my opinion, because there's nothing that takes me out of a horror game quite like being frustrated and confused.

It's a shame, because the building blocks for an A++ game are all there, they're just stacked together in a way that isn't very satisfying to go through.

(Also it runs like total butt on consoles, especially with the letterbox effect turned off. :mad:)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

If you focus on health upgrades you'll survive longer. "Most enemies" sounds like exaggeration to someone like me who has played the game multiple times and loved it. The game does have a lot of instant death moments compared to most games but I found them pretty entertaining.

The thing I like most is that you can get very creative with the weapons and environmental hazards to conserve your ammo.

The problem is, ammo and weapon upgrades, especially the Agony Crossbow is more important than Health upgrades because you do start off carrying extremely little ammo and the final upgrade for the normal bolts which turns them into flaming bolts for the crossbow turns Sebastian into the one who can one hit kill everything for a change.

I dunno. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I played it, but it was just stressful to play through but not in the terrifying way, more an incredibly frustrated on how I'm facing off against certain annoying enemy types again or running through a scripted sequence of traps where one mistake equals death type of stress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In terms of plot TEW is just a mess, imo. The thing is that a lot of stuff was either never explained or just handwaved away as "it's a spooky thing, shoot it". That is effective in games where the monsters are hidden or rare, but TEW is one step above "zombie wave shooter" so I kind of found it hard to care. On top of that the overall plot and location jumped around a ton, including some literal teleportations, and it was extremely hard to follow. I remember someone asking me what the game was about when I was halfway through it and I had absolutely no response because I couldn't follow it.

I don't know, maybe I was missing some super subtle hints or something but it was kind of silly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

In terms of plot TEW is just a mess, imo. The thing is that a lot of stuff was either never explained or just handwaved away as "it's a spooky thing, shoot it". That is effective in games where the monsters are hidden or rare, but TEW is one step above "zombie wave shooter" so I kind of found it hard to care. On top of that the overall plot and location jumped around a ton, including some literal teleportations, and it was extremely hard to follow. I remember someone asking me what the game was about when I was halfway through it and I had absolutely no response because I couldn't follow it.

I don't know, maybe I was missing some super subtle hints or something but it was kind of silly

TEW's plot is super straightforward, it's just told badly. Crazy kid goes mad scientist and does experiments with people's brains, gets approached by merely morally ambiguous scientist to further his research, develops machine that hooks up people's brains into a shared dream-state where reality and minds can be altered at will. Morally ambiguous scientist hooks up with vague evil organization to use machine for dastardly ends, betray crazy kid mad scientist, hooks up brain into machine. Crazy kid mad scientist brain takes over the dream-state and starts wrecking poo poo within the dream in an attempt to escape by hijacking the body of a muttery autistic boy. Detective, detective's partner, and detective's other partner who is actually a mole investigate vague evil organization, get kidnapped and hooked up to machine, fight the evil dream from within, and (ending spoilers if anyone cares) fail in every possible way. Detective is still stuck in machine and crazy kid mad scientist escapes in body of muttery autistic boy, the end.

The problem is there's no closure and the DLC just raises even more questions, like the fact that the vague evil organization has at some point recruited the detective's supposedly-dead wife into their ranks.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't have a problem with the story, personally. If anything I felt the game overstayed its welcome by the end, but that was due to the gameplay getting stale rather than the story writing itself into a corner or anything.

I wasn't a big fan of the cliffhanger ending that will likely never get resolved, though.

Don't get me wrong, as an Alien franchise lifer, it's a 10/10 GOTY for me regardless, and I loved every minute of it (except the five or so odd minutes of unskippable plot stuff)

Decent writing would've taken it to the next level, but I'd still play the cuss out of a sequel.

I don't even like Sneak'em'up style horror games, and I still loved Alien Isolation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Danknificent posted:

Don't get me wrong, as an Alien franchise lifer, it's a 10/10 GOTY for me regardless, and I loved every minute of it (except the five or so odd minutes of unskippable plot stuff)

Decent writing would've taken it to the next level, but I'd still play the cuss out of a sequel.

I don't even like Sneak'em'up style horror games, and I still loved Alien Isolation.

Whatever problems it may have had in terms of pacing and story, the core gameplay and art direction in A:I was so good.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Oxxidation posted:

TEW's plot is super straightforward, [complicated batshit stuff I've never heard of.]
Okay, but when did you learn all this poo poo though? I played fuckin 13 hours of The Evil Within and the plot got as far as "poo poo blew up in weird ways. There's zombies. A mental patient is whimpering and running away a lot. Go after him." At 13 hours in, I'd better know more than that poo poo. Unforgivable story pacing, could not get invested/interested in that junk.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Oxxidation posted:

TEW's plot is super straightforward, it's just told badly. Crazy kid goes mad scientist and does experiments with people's brains, gets approached by merely morally ambiguous scientist to further his research, develops machine that hooks up people's brains into a shared dream-state where reality and minds can be altered at will. Morally ambiguous scientist hooks up with vague evil organization to use machine for dastardly ends, betray crazy kid mad scientist, hooks up brain into machine. Crazy kid mad scientist brain takes over the dream-state and starts wrecking poo poo within the dream in an attempt to escape by hijacking the body of a muttery autistic boy. Detective, detective's partner, and detective's other partner who is actually a mole investigate vague evil organization, get kidnapped and hooked up to machine, fight the evil dream from within, and (ending spoilers if anyone cares) fail in every possible way. Detective is still stuck in machine and crazy kid mad scientist escapes in body of muttery autistic boy, the end.

The problem is there's no closure and the DLC just raises even more questions, like the fact that the vague evil organization has at some point recruited the detective's supposedly-dead wife into their ranks.

ok as someone who has never played TEW and knows straightforward stories quite well let me tell you that this is not at all straightforward and sounds like a kojima breeding ground

i mean really all we need is a few shots of one of the scientists without pants and we've got a metal gear solid interlude

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

Okay, but when did you learn all this poo poo though? I played fuckin 13 hours of The Evil Within and the plot got as far as "poo poo blew up in weird ways. There's zombies. A mental patient is whimpering and running away a lot. Go after him." At 13 hours in, I'd better know more than that poo poo. Unforgivable story pacing, could not get invested/interested in that junk.

Which is what I mean when I say it's told badly. Half the plot is squirrelled away in text files or incidental details while the cutscenes focus on the umpteenth time Ruvik makes a spooky face. And even then, some stuff is still left unexplained. The hospital you go to when you save is probably a psychic haven constructed by Nurse Gutierrez and the mad journalist to give some refuge to especially strong-willed people trapped in the STEM, but that sure as hell isn't ever confirmed or denied.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
heres the plot of TEW: It was all a dream the bad guy wins gently caress you buy the sequel

it did have a few cool mystery moments tho, like the seemingly normal looking guy you can see in the windows of the mansion before you enter it. I don't think the game ever does anything to highlight that he's there or even explains why, just a random dude watching you trudge through this nightmare G-Man style

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oxxidation posted:

Not so much tone, it maintains the same gritty atmosphere throughout even as its setting changes radically from chapter to chapter. And that's the main thing - the game is crazy unfocused. It goes from RE4-esque mob battles to big boss fights to stealth to chase sequences without making any allowances in its mechanics for all these different events, and the game's basic loadout (RE6's movement, limited ammo, limited stealth options) is really not suited for everything TEW throws at you. You've got one square peg and at first you have a bunch of square holes but then you start getting circles and triangles and there's a loving rhombus in there and it becomes frustrating fast.

It's especially bad in the latter chapters, where you get hosed down with numerous enemies similar to the Island portion of RE4, but you've still got the same piddly amount of ammo as you did when you were stealthing around in the earlier chapters. And these enemies need to be killed - I'm pretty sure stealth attacks straight-up stop working after a certain point, with no warning given (which is another thing, it's really bad at communicating information to the player).

Also, it's not scary. Like, at all. Always a downside for something that's nominally horror.

I kind of admire it just for the range of concepts it trots out and that perfect RE4 head-splatter sound effect, but it was definitely one of those titles that kind of resists your attempts to have any fun with it.

edit: and everyone already said all this multiple times over. Whoops!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I spent a lot of time trying hard to get into it but the game just rebuffs you with its incoherent, poorly explained story and schizo gameplay. Which is a shame, because apart from all that it still somehow verges on being a lot of goofy fun when it slows down enough to let you play it how you want.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

All that plot is good and all but the issue with the "it's all in their head/dreams" game is that it generally is super dumb and also stupid. Too many people use it as a way out of making an actual reason for things to exist in the game world. And why do I have to walk around with two bullets? Why can't I Inception an M1 Abrams tank into the word?

The only levels that work for "mind" games are the ones that are really hosed up and clearly nightmares. Otherwise it's just a cop out imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

All that plot is good and all but the issue with the "it's all in their head/dreams" game is that it generally is super dumb and also stupid. Too many people use it as a way out of making an actual reason for things to exist in the game world. And why do I have to walk around with two bullets? Why can't I Inception an M1 Abrams tank into the word?

There's a good reason for that, at least - Ruvik's the one pulling the strings on everything, which is why nearly everyone who winds up in the STEM turns into his thralls and you keep getting sicced by monsters relating to his neuroses. Sebastian, for some reason, is such a hardass that Ruvik can't just passively explode his head or something even when he's in Ruvik's own mindscape, so the only time he's a threat is when he manifests in the STEM directly to try and one-shot you.

e: of course you could also justifiably ask "then why doesn't Ruvik take away all my ammo and leave me to face the enemies with a bent spoon or something," but I guess you could hand-wave the few bullets that appear as Sebastian exerting his own weak influence over the dream. Gutierrez and the journalist probably "built" the save-point hospital and that place has a whole loving vault full of ordinance.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 5, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestonJew posted:

heres the plot of TEW: It was all a dream the bad guy wins gently caress you buy the sequel

it did have a few cool mystery moments tho, like the seemingly normal looking guy you can see in the windows of the mansion before you enter it. I don't think the game ever does anything to highlight that he's there or even explains why, just a random dude watching you trudge through this nightmare G-Man style

I never knew about this but I like it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TEW makes a lot more sense when you think of it as a dark and gritty remake of Psychonauts

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

I never knew about this but I like it.

Here's a video of him

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Oxxidation posted:

e: of course you could also justifiably ask "then why doesn't Ruvik take away all my ammo and leave me to face the enemies with a bent spoon or something," but I guess you could hand-wave the few bullets that appear as Sebastian exerting his own weak influence over the dream. Gutierrez and the journalist probably "built" the save-point hospital and that place has a whole loving vault full of ordinance.
I think it's more reasonable to explain it as the player needs to defend themselves and it's good for game play. I mean, did people walk through Resident Evil 4 wondering why a random wooden crate in a dilapidated Spanish village had huge gems, magnum ammo, or snakes? Nope, it's just assumed that ammo pick-ups are present in a game.

Also I think that Ruvik's power in STEM is somewhat regulated and stymied by being in that machine. That he's having to support his existence over a number of shared consciousness while also dealing with his own neurosis' and that he's nothing more than a brain in a jar, maybe means he's not working at his full potential and that's a part of why he wants to escape his slowly crumbling world in the STEM. I mean his entire existence at that point seems to rely on other people's minds and that he needs to escape/keep some of the subjects alive to reach his end goal of escape. I mean, he's trying to get to Leslie, why not just hitch a ride and follow the people who are going to actively lead him to Leslie?

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Niggurath posted:

I think it's more reasonable to explain it as the player needs to defend themselves and it's good for game play. I mean, did people walk through Resident Evil 4 wondering why a random wooden crate in a dilapidated Spanish village had huge gems, magnum ammo, or snakes? Nope, it's just assumed that ammo pick-ups are present in a game.

You don't need to wonder because the answer is obvious - Spanish villagers like to store their gems, ammo and snakes in wooden crates.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

an overdue owl posted:

You don't need to wonder because the answer is obvious - Spanish villagers like to store their gems, ammo and snakes in wooden crates.

If the game took place in rural Texas no one would have even questioned it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i thought the ending implied you were still inside the machine

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Relin posted:

either you're still in the machine or the STEM machine did some sort of permanent damage to Sebastian

of course we'll probably never know because everything has to be a franchise these days

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

of course we'll probably never know because everything has to be a franchise these days
I don't know Bethesda actually had it in their E3 promos this year, there was no announcement or anything, but if they had no intention of bringing it back they probably would have just ignored its existence.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Relin posted:

I figured the ending implied they had left the machine and that Ruvik with his new body could now have the same control over people's minds at large in the real world. And that Sebastian was out and about, and would now be having to hunt down Ruvik as he manipulates the real world.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Niggurath posted:

I figured the ending implied they had left the machine and that Ruvik with his new body could now have the same control over people's minds at large in the real world. And that Sebastian was out and about, and would now be having to hunt down Ruvik as he manipulates the real world.

The DLC makes it clear you're still inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The DLC makes it clear you're still inside.
That's because the DLC is going on at the same time as the game and by the end of it, you all get out. I had to double check but that is the ending to the DLC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BW4LuEcY4