Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Gonkish posted:

The worst long campaign victory is probably for the VCs: you have to knock out the Dwarves. It boils down to pure luck: do the Dwarfs confederate? Do the Orcs actually fight them rather than loving with the Border Princes/Tilea/literally everyone but them? You can't know, and gently caress knows that launching an invasion of the mountains as VCs is hellish (hello there, constant attrition and slow as gently caress marching), to say nothing of fighting their loving armies. Pretty much just have to try to gently caress about in Diplomacy, hoping to cause a rift between the various holds and/or funding the greenskins so that they can skullfuck Thorgrim before he eats every mountain on the map.

As I posted earlier your first war as VC (after uniting Sylvania) should be to force-vassalize the Dwarfs to your east. After you kick orks and other dwarfs around some, they will colonize all this land, grow pretty humongous and never betray you. They are also fairly OK at fighting other dwarfs. Remeber that your goal is to destroy the Dwarf faction not the smaller subfactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never been able to get a faction to become my vassal in diplomacy via brute force, and can't subjugate other races, whats the trick? killing every single army, sacking the capital and then sieging or what?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

So Karak Norn declared war on my vassal Karak SomethingElse (the guys northwest of the Border Princes). Strength rank said they were second (behind me). "Huh," I thought. "A challenging war vs the Dwarves. This will be interesting, all I've really had to play so far has been Empire-on-Empire (and sometimes Chaos).

They own the entirety of their starting province and naught else. Estalia owns almost the entirety of southeast Brettonia and that half of the weird Peninsula of Irrelevance.

:psydwarf: welp at least I'll be rolling in that sweet sacking cash

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just got a 101 turn long victory as vampire counts as a heinrich start, some thoughts.

• Blood knights are crazy good at beating every other cavalry and also every monster you send them at, only had 5 tops but they did well against chaos.
  • Rushing for moneymancers and growing capitals to T4/T5 so you can get the vampire and necro buildings is a necessity, they aren't the worst to save up for with construction discounts and with all the multipliers at work the income they generate can support a stack or two.
  • Vamps have crazy good heroes and the lords get a skill that let's them recruit a extra vampire, get swarms of heroes and leave the banshee buildings up at places you conquer.
  • You can turtle in Slyvania with a vassal or two for as long as you want really and just explode out whenever you have a elite main army ready to go, which doesn't take long with the low requirements to start producing graveguards and vargheist, I wiped out the empire by turn 50 and had altdorf, but you could really just sit in slyvania until turn 100 or pick a different direction to go.
  • Extra vamp lords with swarms of zombies and skeletons with maybe one or two strong troops mixed in make for great reinforcement and rebel quelling armies.
  • The book of blood is by far the strongest portion of the tech tree, I'd love to pick up some of the skeleton and zombie buffs or 10% campaign movement in tireless hordes, but everything just takes too long to research and is split up into too many small bonuses, the book of blood improves your economy and heroes and really that is all you need.
  • Love the current patches auto resolve improvements so your monsters won't go to 1 HP fighting a militia, spreads out the damage now.
  • Keep a eye out for the skeletal hand marker on provinces showing a better raise dead pool, those were the majority of my recruiting and always nice to pick up a terrorgheist or a bunch of graveguards, or even just 20 zombies and skeletons for a backup lord.

I dunno how you guys are getting victories so quick. If I really pushed I'm probably gonna get a short victory on 100 turns in my current vamp game but I just can't expand more quickly and deal with the public order penalities. I at least couldn't afford enough armies to control thaaat much territory while expanding that quick!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mod question! Is there anything which turns on the no manual saves you get in legendary for the other difficulties? Or tunes legendary down to hard or v.hard difficulty. I don't want to deal with the craazy bonuses the AI gets but I'm my own worst enemy and can't help save scumming if it's avaliable.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
The randomized nation traits seem to make for a drat near roguelike type of game in terms of how the world map goes.

Also it feels like nations have hidden traits. Bearsonling is almost always doomed to die a shameful death as Chaos beneath the hordes of every other nation. Mostly because it refuses to expand.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno how you guys are getting victories so quick. If I really pushed I'm probably gonna get a short victory on 100 turns in my current vamp game but I just can't expand more quickly and deal with the public order penalities. I at least couldn't afford enough armies to control thaaat much territory while expanding that quick!

As far as I can tell, the answer is "gittin' gud".

I know my dwarf campaign took me to turn 275ish, and I'm currently on 150ish in my Empire campaign and I still need to recolonize Kislev, retake Sylvania and do some quest stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

hemale in pain posted:

A lot of the victory conditions don't need very much expansion at all. They just need to destroy their target faction, own a few provinces, kill Chaos, maybe be allied with whoever controls certain terrain.

Rather than try to hold on to stuff, fighting off chaos vikings attacks all this time, it can be much faster to build up a stock of money, let chaos raze stuff, then send out a bunch of small armies to resettle all at the same time. As long as you hold all of the stuff you need to hold on to for one single moment, you've won.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 5, 2016

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Heh, playing a co-op campaign as Chaos with my friend who is VC. We finished genociding the hell out of all the dwarves in the eastern mountains, burned everything to poo poo. That'll teach ya to conga agents into Sylvania constantly since TURN loving 1. :smug:

Guess we should set our sights to Kislev, who have been bouncing back, or Ostland who are holding on by fingertips, and I guess we could finally get on the Empire once and for al-

*Greenskins have declared war on you!*

Oh... kinda forgot about those guys. Huh, alright well how many settlements do they ha- THIRTY SIX? OH FUUUCCCCKKK

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A heavy focus on cash generating buildings and taking down rebels, I almost always ransom enemies, early on I'll get the leadership bonus for murdering the captives but you only need to do that once every 8 turns.

Try to let rebels grow to their maximum size, every turn they grow they take 20 more unrest out of the province and a little more money you get for beating them up.

By the end I had so many lords and agents I had trouble getting enough armor and weapons to put on them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Archonex posted:

Also it feels like nations have hidden traits. Bearsonling is almost always doomed to die a shameful death as Chaos beneath the hordes of every other nation. Mostly because it refuses to expand.

Weird, in my Chaos game they own half the chaos wastes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
God loving drat it Talabecland! Stop declaring war on everyone and then backing out of it leaving me to fight them all!

And I can't break the alliance because otherwise everyone thinks I'm an oathbreaker. Not just stuck with a retard!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Taking the oathbreaker debuff can be worth not being at war with everyone.......

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Onmi posted:

God loving drat it Talabecland! Stop declaring war on everyone and then backing out of it leaving me to fight them all!

And I can't break the alliance because otherwise everyone thinks I'm an oathbreaker. Not just stuck with a retard!

Yeah, screw Talabecland. They are bordered by a lot of factions and often lose wars. You shouldn't form a defensive alliance with them ever (or with most factions, really).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find anything north of the river by Wurtbad and Altdorf a bit of a pain to defend that needs constant nearby armies and/or massive walls to hold anything north of those.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The only thing that drives me bad poo poo crazy about this game is rivers. gently caress RIVERS. They need to be much larger on the map, and the bridges more obvious. I keep finding myself getting stuck because I took the "wrong" way, and then have to double back... UGH

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mukip posted:

Yeah, screw Talabecland. They are bordered by a lot of factions and often lose wars. You shouldn't form a defensive alliance with them ever (or with most factions, really).

The only factions they absolutely tend to go to war with are Ostland and Ostermark. Both of which seem to be hard coded to be expansionist assholes. And typically one or the other declares on them first.

Also they'll happily declare on Imperial Distrust factions. Because those factions hate the empire. Which means that technically they're your biggest ally.

Are you saying you hate imperial patriots, traitor? :commissar:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Tournament Talk Everyone! :allbuttons:

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

Sorry about the delay, my hard drive got corrupted preventing me from running total war warhammer. I fixed it easily enough but the fix involved not using my computer for like, 12 hours.

Anyway, since people seemed to be fine with the general format, here's the finalized rules:

Match and Picks rules:
Single elimination rules are in play.
Each round will be best of 5.
Each player will send me a list of 5 factions in order that they want to play them. This can be sent via e-mail, private message or through steam. The order will be announced with the brackets after having received all faction lists.
Each faction can only be played once per opponent (with one noted exception)
To avoid stomps, if a player is about to face elimination on game 3 (after having lost the first 2 games) they may pick their faction for game 3 even if they have already played that faction or if that faction will be played on game 4 or 5.
If a faction is played in game three due to the above rule, they may be played again in game 4 or 5 so long as they are listed there.

Maps are to be played in order. The 5 maps are:
1: Central Chaos Wastes
2: Glacial Lake
3: Marbad's tomb
4: Bloodpine Woods
5: Hel Fen

Composition rules:
Maximum of 1 lore of death caster
Maximum of 2 heroes (1 lord, 2 heroes is valid)
Maximum of 6 of any one unit.
Maximum 2 of demigryph knights, giants or any other large single target unit such as the steam tank or arachnarok spider.
Maximum of 2 range cavalry.

Gameplay rules:
Large funds and large unit size. If you must play on smaller unit sizes for any reason, please contact me.
No corner camping. Corner camping will have to be evaluated on a case by case basis by me but typically requires being so close to the corner that neither flank can be moved around. Edge camping may be evaluated similarly in extreme cases.
Matches are 20 minutes long. In the event of a draw at the 20 minute mark, a winner may be declared by me on evaluation based on several criteria. A player clearly avoiding an engagement with their remaining forces for a significant period of time will typically be declared the loser, though this may not be the case if they are capable of inflicting damage the entire duration of their retreat. In case a clear winner cannot be declared, play a rematch using the same map, factions and army compositions. Whether the rematch is used or the original game is used is up to my discretion.

Send replays via e-mail or drop box.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Necroskowitz posted:

You forgot this: :911:

Pretty sure you mean :canada:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Dear Abby,

I have trouble getting my post-secessionist Empire economy strong enough to take on Marienburg. What buildings and forces do you have in the Reikland province once you invade, and why?

Sincerely,
Incompetent Buttchild

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I keep wanting to give advice but then I remember that I play on Easy and the game is literally serving me victory on a silver platter and I still manage to lose a bunch and I should probably keep my bad opinions to myself.

Also I want it to be noted that the new autoresolve is so much nicer now that it's spreading damage out over my spearmen and leaving my poor Demigryphs alone.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FutonForensic posted:

Dear Abby,

I have trouble getting my post-secessionist Empire economy strong enough to take on Marienburg. What buildings and forces do you have in the Reikland province once you invade, and why?

Sincerely,
Incompetent Buttchild

Typically I wait a bit, Trying to tech up into Mortars, Failing that, Marienburg is still Empire, they still fall to a hail of crossbow fire as well as the next human army. Grab a line of Swordsmen Drag them 2-3 ranks thin To establish a screen wall. Line up your Crossbows in 2-wide for peppering their forces. Then, Hide your Reiksguard in the forest and wait until they've crushed into your lines, start striking across their lines. Use your Handgunners to curve around the flank as well, You should start chain-routing their forces, bringing the forces who were fighting the now routing forces and fold them over.

If you have a wizard, then that's even more beneficial. Franz is also a one man wrecking crew on a flank. If they have Mortar, use your Reiksguard to hit that or their archery forces, and then use Karl for your Chain routing, OR have him target leadership. My one has the Sword that gives the ability that shatters enemy defense and freezes them in place. Pop that for helpless enemies and then roll them up.

Watch yourself with Marienburg though. Middenland is not going to like you likely trespassing in their lands getting there, and at least one Bret faction will take umbridge with you wiping them out. Establish a lot of trade, play Diplomancer, DO NOT FORM A MILITARY ALLIANCE WITH ANYONE. ESPECIALLY NOT THE loving TELLYTUBBIES. If you want to feel more comfortable, build up a second half-stack. It can be the force multiplier you need.

Keep in mind Marienburg has walls, so unless you want to have to wait a few turns building siege equipment, just wait for Mortars.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FutonForensic posted:

Dear Abby,

Sincerely,
Incompetent Buttchild

I recommend getting lucky and ambushing the hell out of their field army that's what did it for me.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've never been able to get a faction to become my vassal in diplomacy via brute force, and can't subjugate other races, whats the trick? killing every single army, sacking the capital and then sieging or what?

For me - yes this is how it went. Killed armies, razed all cities, sacked the capital - no luck. Besieged next turn and my piece vassalization offer is suddenly green.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
You can also do it very early without mortars or wizards if you exploit the AI's willingness to Leroy Jenkins into ambush stance every time.

If you park a full stack outside of the minor settlement in march range of Marienland (eilhurt?) on ambush stance, the AI will see an empty settlement and gleefully try to sack it. Your stack + the garrison reinforcements should crush them since ambush only lets them move in one stack at a time. Repeat until Marienland is empty and you can walk over and take it with one battering ram.

Alternately, if they spot the ambushers, just do it again next turn because the AI isn't quite smart enough to see that coming.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Sometimes Bretonnia or Nordland will declare war on Marienburg, and and their armies will clear out of the city to go fight. Then you can do a sneaky wardec and storm Marienburg.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It pleases me, as a fan of the fluff, that one of the most important things for Karl Franz to do is immediately go stomp a mud hole in Marienburg.

They're kind of dicks and deserve it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It seems like several factions have a critical place to capture that makes the campaign much easier. For empire it's Marienberg because it gets you a special port early on allowing you to start building up trade income. For Dwarves it's Mt Gunbad which has both a gold and bright stone mine.

Are there places for orcs and vampires with particularly nice special buildings?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

It seems like several factions have a critical place to capture that makes the campaign much easier. For empire it's Marienberg because it gets you a special port early on allowing you to start building up trade income. For Dwarves it's Mt Gunbad which has both a gold and bright stone mine.

Are there places for orcs and vampires with particularly nice special buildings?
Vampires start with a really good +income building and Templehof has a good +forest troops bonus, but the next really critical place for them to capture in the same vein as Marienberg or Gunbad is probably Altdorf, then Marienburg. Instead I think the best place to "capture" is the dwarf subfaction near you. Subjugate them ASAP before the Dwarves proper confederate with them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

The only place with an Orc special building is black crag. However, Barak varr is very important as it sits right next to Karaz a Karak.

For vampires, you generally want to go sack zufhbar to get some money to kickstart your economy.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Vampires can get a special building that adds bonus vet if they take templehof, and I built that crazy kislev ice palace for holding the kislev capital but think everyone can do that.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Zasze posted:

Vampires can get a special building that adds bonus vet if they take templehof, and I built that crazy kislev ice palace for holding the kislev capital but think everyone can do that.

That's not a special building on the same level, it's just a generic thing in every province that has lumber.

Kislev has a really good unique building for vampire counts though yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Motherfucking Vampire Counts. When I added one of the factions to my own, I inherited a VC territory, lots of rebels, but hell, they handled it, so it's fine I'll just leave the order problem so I can farm EXP. I was a fool, because eventually I wasn't healing enough and they were spawning too quickly. So I figured, "It says I have a chance. I'll just try it."

First time went bad because I tried using thin lines on an enemy that demanded thick ones. But I learned (I also learned this Leader had a Fireball Ring) from that and tried it again, thicker lines. Didn't work, well fine, I just have to take out the leadership. This was working... almost. I did kill the enemy lord, but then, out of loving nowhere, my God damned General dies and I completely rout. He had half HP, what happened?!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

First time went bad because I tried using thin lines on an enemy that demanded thick ones. But I learned (I also learned this Leader had a Fireball Ring) from that and tried it again, thicker lines. Didn't work, well fine, I just have to take out the leadership. This was working... almost. I did kill the enemy lord, but then, out of loving nowhere, my God damned General dies and I completely rout. He had half HP, what happened?!
Even nerfed, Spirit Leech can hit really hard. VCs have a lot of characters that can cast it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I think people talk up how 'critical' this stuff is. There's upsides and downsides. Taking Marienberg has the downside of exposing you to Skraeling attack down the coast, and also building up that port requires a lot of investment. And if you don't make enough friends you don't get the trade income.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay, My current army is

All Injured
Lord, Fireball Ring, 2 War Banners.
1 Halberdier
1 Crossbowman

Reinforcements
2 Swordsmen
3 Spearmen

Enemy Forces

Wizard
2x Crypt Horrors
1x Skeleton Warrior
2x Grave Guard

I think, because I reloaded from the autosave to see if I couldn't change anything to stack the deck more in my favor. (Nope) But, on this reload, Ostermark declared war, and now they have less dudes. I remember more Grave Guard

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Fangz posted:

I think people talk up how 'critical' this stuff is. There's upsides and downsides. Taking Marienberg has the downside of exposing you to Skraeling attack down the coast, and also building up that port requires a lot of investment. And if you don't make enough friends you don't get the trade income.

Taking the first settlement exposes you to attack from nuln. Plus you have to invest gold in building it up!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just saying. When I played my Empire game, the first province I took after Reikland was... Western Sylvania. (I signed a defensive treaty with Stirland.)

There was a lot of bullshit happening west of Marienberg that I avoided this way, and I prevented pissing off Middenheim. In my game at least I felt this was absolutely the right call.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

YES! Grave Guards take forever to deteriorate, but plenty of Fireballs eventually put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I mean sure you can do whatever the hell you want but Marienburg is fairly easy to defend and shits out gold. Plus on harder settings those jerks will declare war and march from your capital to raze/sack the nearby settlement with little or no warning.

Stirland is the arsehole of the empire.

• Locked thread