Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The head of DC's movie programme is a goon and solely reads CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a huge effortpost in CD earlier arguing that trying to course correct to appeal to audiences has always been a bad idea and doubling down turns out to be the right thing to do:

tl;dr: the studios can't help but interfere and if they butt into an already successful series they almost always gently caress it up, so they're better off picking a tone and a direction for the series right at the outset and making sure the films stick to it no matter what

I see what you're saying, but I think the difference is that your examples all had a good first film. Sure, maybe not the box office blockbuster that their franchises went on to be, but good films that did well at the cinema and attracted even more attention on DVD from word of mouth. If you watch a bad Marvel movie now, you know it's an aberration (not saying they're all masterpieces, but you can at least expect a competent, fun movie). It doesn't put you off the next one because you know that the next one will probably be done by different people who've listened to previous criticism. There's no reason to think that's going to happen with DC because they've now churned out two movies with basically the same problems from the same people, and announced their intention to let the same people keep making more.

Basically, I'm saying you can get away with a bad movie in a franchise if you've got a good foundation, a good first film to build on. DC haven't done that yet, and I think they'd be better off hitting the reboot button than trying to make people like something that just isn't working.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunswipe posted:

Basically, I'm saying you can get away with a bad movie in a franchise if you've got a good foundation, a good first film to build on. DC haven't done that yet, and I think they'd be better off hitting the reboot button than trying to make people like something that just isn't working.

I think that the Nolan Batman films pretty much set their house style (even though Nolan moved on to other things) but they're also trying to differentiate themselves from the MCU films so they're just going to hammer home the "gritty and mature" theme until the audience comes around. The big problem with that is that the MCU films have marketed themselves overall as light, fun escapism full of witty quips and explosions and the idea that Friendship Is Super which is pretty much exactly what the wider moviegoing population wants, so DC have pretty much gone "Yeah we're going to avoid all that stuff that audiences really want and do something different."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If the 3 hour directors cut is better than 2.5 hour theatrical cut, just imagine how good the 4 hour extended directors cut is going to be!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The DC cinematic universe only has 2 films so far and when the MCU started out they had a bunch of films that were only moderately successful. The first two MCU films were Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk and Man of Steel only made slightly less money than Iron Man but Batman v Superman made a whole lot more money than The Incredible Hulk.

Like, I don't doubt that the DC films could just get worse and worse if they stick to their "Grim and Gritty" business plan but we won't actually know if that gamble will pay off for a few years now. It could be that Aquaman is the movie which clicks with the audience and turns the DCCU around.

The difference with that "moderate success" was that the Marvel movies were well received, building goodwill towards what Marvel was trying to do. In the end that paid off big time with the Avengers, and they've been riding that wave ever since.

DC started out with one lukewarm film, and then doubled down on all the things people reacted negatively to, while simultaneously shoehorning in Wonder Woman AND shoehorning in cameos for the rest of the Justice League, as if to say "aren't you excited????"
If the upcoming movies are going to be like what we've gotten so far, then no I am not excited.

I really want to be wrong about DC's grand design, but so far they're just not showing it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

If the upcoming movies are going to be like what we've gotten so far, then no I am not excited.

I'm guessing that audiences' reactions to Suicide Squad are going to be a crucial litmus test on the viability of the franchise

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm guessing that audiences' reactions to Suicide Squad are going to be a crucial litmus test on the viability of the franchise

I'm right there with you on that one. Personally I thought the last two SS trailers (the ones that used Queen and Ballroom Blitz) were a hoot, if the actual movie maintains that tone then I'm totally onboard.
I'm also cautiously optimistic that Wonder Woman will be cool, but I think it runs a bigger risk of going "grimdark 110%" than Suicude Squad does.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I want to see Wonder Woman in the trenches of the Western Front sarcastically quipping at Jerries while "Crazy Bitch" plays in the background. It still has to be gritty and serious though, so when she holds a 14-YO German soldier down in a pocket of mustard gas you see every moment of his agonizing death and Wonder Woman spends half the film slapping, berating and executing shellshocked French soldiers for cowardice.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I didn't really get a load of the references.

When Jesse eisenburg is in the pool and there's a big Satan fella there that vanishes, what's all that about?

Whose that weird fella who is popping out the screen saying Louis lane is the key or whatever in batmans dream?

What was Lex luthiers actual plan? Kill batman then what? Superman could just kill him? Idk.

E: the wonderwoman theme tune was loving horrific also. Really bad.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bape Culture posted:

I didn't really get a load of the references.

When Jesse eisenburg is in the pool and there's a big Satan fella there that vanishes, what's all that about?

Whose that weird fella who is popping out the screen saying Louis lane is the key or whatever in batmans dream?

What was Lex luthiers actual plan? Kill batman then what? Superman could just kill him? Idk.

E: the wonderwoman theme tune was loving horrific also. Really bad.

Darkseid

The Flash

Lex's plan makes exactly zero sense unless he's literally trying to destroy the world because he's mind-controlled by Darkseid.

Yes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pvt.Scott posted:

I want to see Wonder Woman in the trenches of the Western Front sarcastically quipping at Jerries while "Crazy Bitch" plays in the background. It still has to be gritty and serious though, so when she holds a 14-YO German soldier down in a pocket of mustard gas you see every moment of his agonizing death and Wonder Woman spends half the film slapping, berating and executing shellshocked French soldiers for cowardice.

Somewhere an intern at DC is googling for "I want to see Wonder Woman" and has just copy/pasted this post into a really big Excel spreadsheet

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

He's a character named Steppenwolf from the planet Apokolips. He works for Darkseid, who is arguably the biggest Superman/Justice League villain in the DC universe. I don't know if Lex was communicating with him or just learning about him, and now knows that Earth is due for an invasion from Apokolips.

quote:

That's the Flash, having used his super-speed time travel powers to warn Batman about future events. It's impossible to know that without being familiar with the comics or cartoons. I didn't even realize what was happening there when I saw the movie, because he doesn't even look like the Flash.

quote:

I can't help you there.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So this darkside bloke. He's real and that's like a phone call or summat?
In the film I thought Jesse was projecting him and trying to turn himself into Satan through the magic goop. I like comic book films tbh and even I found this one daft.

E: post above makes more sense to me. Cheers. Didn't even hear any of that mentioned in the movie. Did the painting relate to that as well? They seemed to linger on it a lot

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 5, 2016

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Bape Culture posted:

So this darkside bloke. He's real and that's like a phone call or summat?
In the film I thought Jesse was projecting him and trying to turn himself into Satan through the magic goop. I like comic book films tbh and even I found this one daft.

he was learning about the impending invasion of earth at the hands of aliens (maybe). if you'll recall his primary motivation in the movie (besides "i hate my father, and god!") was that he felt the earth needed to be able to defend itself from aliens with its own weapons and technologies as opposed to trusting our security to a superpowered alien that happens to look identical to a human and is impossible to hold to account for his actions due to his superpowers

lex luthor did nothing wrong

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why is lois lane the key

who gives a gently caress about lois lane

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pitdragon posted:

he was learning about the impending invasion of earth at the hands of aliens (maybe). if you'll recall his primary motivation in the movie (besides "i hate my father, and god!") was that he felt the earth needed to be able to defend itself from aliens with its own weapons and technologies as opposed to trusting our security to a superpowered alien that happens to look identical to a human and is impossible to hold to account for his actions due to his superpowers

lex luthor did nothing wrong

If anything, Lex and Bats were doing mankind a solid until Bats' mental illness kicked in and he spazzed out about Martha. Not sure what the "release a giant fuckoff monster" contingency plan was all about on Lex's end though.

CharlestonJew posted:

why is lois lane the key

who gives a gently caress about lois lane

I'm guessing Super Baby or something.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Pvt.Scott posted:

If anything, Lex and Bats were doing mankind a solid until Bats' mental illness kicked in and he spazzed out about Martha. Not sure what the "release a giant fuckoff monster" contingency plan was all about on Lex's end though.

there was actually a big button in the ship that could automatically exterminate any giant fuckoff monsters that the ship created that lex intended to use once superman had been eradicated, but it was cut. the scene featuring it will be included in the extended revised remastered directors special edition cut

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

awfully optimistic for them to throw in a bajillion references to future movies

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
who the gently caress is going to see an aquaman movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clipperton posted:

Aquatic-Americans deserve more representation in popular culture, please don't gillshame

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Aquaman is by far my favorite comic book character, but if there was one thing I would change about him it's how his power is to control the creatures of the sea. Other than that - perfect!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
actually john byrne probably would

quote:

In my first studio in my former house, there was a fireplace with a wide mantle. I set my Super Powers action figures in a line along this shelf (in alphabetical order, which hardly anyone ever seemed to pick up on!) One afternoon, during one of my summer parties, I wandered into the studio to find a small clutch of my fellow professionals had gathered in there. One of these was a good friend, who had brought with him his wife and small daughter (maybe three years old). I walked in to find her sitting on the floor playing with my Aquaman figure. "She was bored," said my friend, "so I gave her Aquaman to play with. He doesn't matter." His exact words, burned into my brain. I took the toy from the child and replaced it on the shelf. "Does to me," I said.

he sure showed her

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Clipperton posted:

actually john byrne probably would

he sure showed her

haha he's irl the dad from the Lego movie

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
aquaman? Yeah he's a real piece of poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when aquaman masturbates everyone has to breathe in his jizz

its one of the perks of being the king of the sea

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Aquatic-Americans deserve more representation in popular culture, please don't gillshame
Oh! So now all we Aquatic people gotta have gills? :nyd:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

aquaman is a 80 year old impotent penis

they keep trying to make him more BADASS but he'll never be Namor

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i would watch a john carter aquaman where he's under the sea the whole time having adventures with kraken and squid

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Clipperton posted:

Make it a musical comedy where Atlantis has the demeanor of a 1950's Movie, which is always contrasted with the grimdark gray world whenever he surfaces. Black Manta is a gay ex-Navy international pirate (oh you're goddamned right he's got some musical numbers) in a stolen sub who has a sort-of-friendly working relationship with Aquaman (think Batman/Catwoman). Also, plenty of ocean puns like "Let's get kraken!" and "You gotta be squiddin' me!" The plot is Aquaman being mortified at what's above the ocean, and vowing to make it a friendlier, happier place.

You couldn't keep people from wanting to see that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8C1WWixgc

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think Aquaman could be done alright if they presented and used his power like an angry sea god, like a living neptune. Like he's constantly tossing tidal waves and massive naval forces or literally commanding all the sharks in the sea to kill anyone that ventures near wherever

basically like an angry greek god movie, not some shlub in swim trunks that asks advice from some scrub in a bat constume that fights gangsters on land

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Literally the only good Aquaman.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

So I got around to finally watching BvS (read: watched the fight scenes on youtube).

Question:

So when Wonderwoman slices off Doomsday's hand, a big pointy rock grows in it's place. What if, like, they just did that for all his other limbs so that he couldn't get anywhere???

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yestermoment posted:

So I got around to finally watching BvS (read: watched the fight scenes on youtube).

Question:

So when Wonderwoman slices off Doomsday's hand, a big pointy rock grows in it's place. What if, like, they just did that for all his other limbs so that he couldn't get anywhere???

it'd eventually grow back into a rocky shingly hand if he didn't die like a big dumb idiot first. i think you could lop his head off and it'd just grow back pointier

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ages ago (I think a few years before BvS), someone on SA linked a video about everything that was wrong with the superman death comics, like how frustratingly they tried to retconn it and such. Mostly jabbing at the poor writing and narrative decisions made afterwards regarding bringing him back. Anyone have a clue or link to what I'm refering to?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Madcosby posted:

I think Aquaman could be done alright if they presented and used his power like an angry sea god, like a living neptune. Like he's constantly tossing tidal waves and massive naval forces or literally commanding all the sharks in the sea to kill anyone that ventures near wherever

basically like an angry greek god movie, not some shlub in swim trunks that asks advice from some scrub in a bat constume that fights gangsters on land

lol yea make aqua man namor and suddenly hes interesting

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Madcosby posted:

Ages ago (I think a few years before BvS), someone on SA linked a video about everything that was wrong with the superman death comics, like how frustratingly they tried to retconn it and such. Mostly jabbing at the poor writing and narrative decisions made afterwards regarding bringing him back. Anyone have a clue or link to what I'm refering to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

The Max Landis Death of Superman video?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

roffels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

The Max Landis Death of Superman video?

that was it! gracias!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Literally the only good Aquaman.
I don't know the JL/JLU Aquaman was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

It could be that Aquaman is the movie which clicks with the audience and turns the DCCU around.

hahahaha god drat

• Locked thread