Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darkrenown posted:

The most I can say is it won't be out this month. Not getting the one-legged reference though, sorry!

Well, they can't keep their knees together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jedit posted:

u fucker

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hoooolay poo poo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

Sad that the Secret DLC won't be out this month. I guess a lot of CK2 devs were tied up with Stellaris?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jedit posted:

:vince:

Torrannor posted:

Sad that the Secret DLC won't be out this month. I guess a lot of CK2 devs were tied up with Stellaris?

Not really. I was on Stellaris before moving to CK2, but we only started on this DLC a few weeks after that. Part of the problem is we don't want to release a DLC right before, or during, our vacation month just in case any problems occur.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Darkrenown posted:

Not really. I was on Stellaris before moving to CK2, but we only started on this DLC a few weeks after that. Part of the problem is we don't want to release a DLC right before, or during, our vacation month just in case any problems occur.

I see, a lesson from Way of Life's release. That sounds pretty reasonable. At least we can enjoy small(ish) dev diaries about the mystery DLC :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wasn't it Charlemagne that was released right before Christmas and introduced a game breaking "AI can't disband levies" bug that didn't get fixed for 3 weeks?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Too bad about waiting for dlc, minor stuff and events sounds really good.
I fired up a game last night and I gotta say the education changes suck. The old system was not perfect but it was a lot more fun and interactive. For a game being about dynasties I feel that the family/heir interaction part is lacking.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 5, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

DD train don't stop:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-13-pagans-advisors-and-warrior-women.955632/

The UI shows you which kid traits map to which adult traits right on the focus picking window. Mouse over the kid traits.
Yes, but only there. And you still need to know which educator traits can turn kid traits into other adult traits though.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 5, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

DD train don't stop:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-13-pagans-advisors-and-warrior-women.955632/

The UI shows you which kid traits map to which adult traits right on the focus picking window. Mouse over the kid traits.

it's not actually that hard to grasp but the new education system is super loving boring though

It went from being actually somewhat interesting and having political ramifications and events and such to "press button, receive education".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Slight cop out, but it was done before I moved. And while the new system is rather set and forget, the old one was very much "hunt for guy with awesome traits" then "choose awesome trait rather than lovely trait in the events", so I don't think either are that great.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Having to scout out and win over people with good traits as advisors/ educators etc is a fairly significant part of the game though, I liked that involvement.

I haven't gotten to play CK2 since Horse Lords though (right now I'm waiting until the game options are implemented) so I don't really have an opinion on the new education system.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only experience playing with Conclave was being unable to appoint council members because nobody was eligible, and my council being mad even though nobody was able to serve anyway. So it was impossible to do anything but speed 5 and collect cash to hire courtiers to maybe be allowed to do something

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Slight cop out, but it was done before I moved. And while the new system is rather set and forget, the old one was very much "hunt for guy with awesome traits" then "choose awesome trait rather than lovely trait in the events", so I don't think either are that great.

You didn't get to choose the trait in the event unless you were either the kid or the teacher so unless you wanted to teach all the little bastards yourself(which meant they would all have similar stats to you which you might not have wanted) you had to put them in the care of someone else which meant being pretty careful about who you picked.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

You didn't get to choose the trait in the event unless you were either the kid or the teacher so unless you wanted to teach all the little bastards yourself(which meant they would all have similar stats to you which you might not have wanted) you had to put them in the care of someone else which meant being pretty careful about who you picked.

You are correct. I was confusing finding cool stats guys/gregarious and diligent culture changers, and educating them yourself.

Larry Parrish posted:

My only experience playing with Conclave was being unable to appoint council members because nobody was eligible, and my council being mad even though nobody was able to serve anyway. So it was impossible to do anything but speed 5 and collect cash to hire courtiers to maybe be allowed to do something

Don't suppose you have a save like that? People shouldn't be mad if no one can serve.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cock hero flux posted:

It sounded like a lot of people would tutor the child themself until they were 15 and 11 months, and then ship them off for a few weeks to someone with the proper trait. Gamey as hell and I don't miss that.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
but not everyone did that, you had a choice, and well a lot of stuff in ck2 is gamey as hell.

I find it funny that you can take the family focus and it feels like nothing happens, whatsoever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It sounded like a lot of people would tutor the child themself until they were 15 and 11 months, and then ship them off for a few weeks to someone with the proper trait. Gamey as hell and I don't miss that.

I never heard of anyone doing that and I'm honestly not sure if that's even how that worked, but if it was it would have been fairly trivial to stop that by having it go off of whoever had taught them the longest rather than just who was teaching them when they hit 16.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I thought their stats increased based on the tutor over time too, it wasn't just a trait they got at the end.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Koramei posted:

I thought their stats increased based on the tutor over time too, it wasn't just a trait they got at the end.

Yeah, they got increases to base stats as well as getting an Education trait at the end, but usually the Education trait was more important.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But now with Conclave the correct play is still to wait until just before the kid's 16th birthday to assign his education focus, rather than when he turns 12 and the game prompts you to.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I hope the upcoming DLC is savegame compatible, I've got a good game going but I'd really like the extra stuff this adds. Maybe I'll get lucky since it's not too major?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

But now with Conclave the correct play is still to wait until just before the kid's 16th birthday to assign his education focus, rather than when he turns 12 and the game prompts you to.
Kind of sort of. Problem is that kid traits are flagged behind the scenes (in addition to the visible character sheet) and weight the better/worse levels of education, and if you try to chose at 15.99 most of the kid traits will have disappeared and you have to guess or memorize what they were at the 12 prompt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes but that's still better than having incompatible traits appear after you've already locked in the education focus.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zombiepop posted:

but not everyone did that, you had a choice, and well a lot of stuff in ck2 is gamey as hell.

I find it funny that you can take the family focus and it feels like nothing happens, whatsoever.

Family focus is entirely passive. It gives you the listed stat boosts and enables a bunch of events that improve relations between dynasty members or boost your relations with your spouse/children. It's what you set when you can't really think of anything else, or have a lot of dynasty members as vassals.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

DD train don't stop:

I love your answer to the guy asking for patch notes in that thread.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes but that's still better than having incompatible traits appear after you've already locked in the education focus.
That shouldn't happen (incompatible traits showing up after lockin), since
(a) characters shouldn't receive any new kid traits after age 12 and
(b) the only adult traits that affect final education outcome are diligent and slothful, which have equivalent positive and negative effects for all outcomes

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HotCanadianChick posted:

The first sentence gives away what you state in the second.

Once you're more experienced, you'll see that the insane pope has now created the perfect opportunity for you to declare your independence and then create your own anti-pope, at which point you can force your puppet pope to give you claims on any titles you want, and excommunicate any problem vassals/councillors. :black101:

Update on Cannibal Kaisercaust: Stuck in a single county as the relative of my unlanded former regent (fled to some burgundian court), I was ready to just watch the whole place burn to the ground when I noticed that the mad Emperor had become Waldensian and was simply purging his realm of Catholics. One quick conversion later I'm on his good side and lo and behold, he gives me my blinged out ancestral county back! Some years later, my former vassals rebel against their new Duchess east of me, and somehow I end up with nearly all of my possessions back without having to murder a single person! And no more Catholicism means no more fighting him for the affections of my clergy! Of course now everyone hates the HRE and it's slowly going to poo poo, so maybe I can join Italy somehow...?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I haven't jumped in the game in while, can someone give me a quick rundown on what the Paradox login is for, and why I would want to sign up for anything?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You get a free portrait pack. Other than that, I have no idea.

Speaking of having no idea, what's the hands down best guide? I'm talking about a real thorough motherfucker. I have about 90 hours sunk into this game and have no idea how to get any of my plots moving. How do I get other people's courtiers to like me enough to ice the big man?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

You get a free portrait pack. Other than that, I have no idea.

Speaking of having no idea, what's the hands down best guide? I'm talking about a real thorough motherfucker. I have about 90 hours sunk into this game and have no idea how to get any of my plots moving. How do I get other people's courtiers to like me enough to ice the big man?
You use bribes, you use your chancellor to sow discontent, you use your spymaster to increase plot strength. If you have Way of Life, you use the intrigue focus to spy on them or the carousing focus to make friends that will help you stab them.

Sometimes, sadly, life won't let you stab. For the other times, those are your options.

As for a comprehensive guide, there aint one. Kersch did a decent LP but there hasn't been a more recent one, which you kinda need.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome. What about a good guide on how to strategically marry because I can't seem to figure out how to do it properly

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Awesome. What about a good guide on how to strategically marry because I can't seem to figure out how to do it properly

1) Marry for good stats. Half of your spouse's stats are added to your realm stats so a good spouse can give you a significant boost all around.

2) Marry for good traits. Genius/Strong parents are more likely to have Genius/Strong kids.

3) Marry for good claims. This one is a bit trickier to spot from the list that pops up when you click the "Find spouse" button. Instead, go look around at titles you're interested in and click the "View claimants" button, and see if there's any single claimants for the title (if their claim is inheritable you can also see about arranging a marriage with the children of married ones). You can also look directly at the title holders and see if they'd be willing to marry off one of their children - the farther down the line of succession, the more likely they'll be to accept. If you're aggressive with assassinations, you might even be able to bump them up to be the direct heir and then you can just inherit the title a few generations down the line without a war.

4) Marry for good alliances. This one can be tricky because lords of very powerful realms generally don't want to entertain offers from nobodies and if you're powerful already you probably don't need the alliance. Still, at the very least you can marry off your third or fourth daughter to nearby realms to get non-aggression pacts with them - this will also prevent them from joining coalitions against you so it's a good tactic if you're expanding aggressively but don't need their territory specifically.

Obviously you're unlikely to get all of that from one marriage so which one(s) you want to go for depends on your strategic situation. Generally, 1 and 2 become more important later in the game when you're big and powerful and don't really need to expand so much (or have other expansion options available like holy wars), while 3 and 4 are probably what you'll be doing a lot of when you start off.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I haven't jumped in the game in while, can someone give me a quick rundown on what the Paradox login is for, and why I would want to sign up for anything?

You used to need it for the Metaserver, but that doesn't exist anymore so it basically doesn't do anything other than let you get into the CK2 mods section on their forums, which you don't need to do because you have the steam version and can get all that poo poo on the workshop anyway.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

then you can just inherit the title a few generations down the line without a war.

This is what I'm having trouble with. I had the son of a granddaughter as the heir. He took over but a councillor was the new heir instead of me.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

cock hero flux posted:

You used to need it for the Metaserver, but that doesn't exist anymore so it basically doesn't do anything other than let you get into the CK2 mods section on their forums, which you don't need to do because you have the steam version and can get all that poo poo on the workshop anyway.

Many major CK2 mods are not available on the workshop due to its file size limits (in particular, basically any of the overhaul/TC mods like CK2+/HIP/GoT/After the End/Geheimisnacht are not available there) and can thus only be obtained by links from the forum's mod section (or by asking nicely on other forums and hoping that other posters won't assume you're pirating the game and give you an obfuscated goatse link instead.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

This is what I'm having trouble with. I had the son of a granddaughter as the heir. He took over but a councillor was the new heir instead of me.

I'm not sure I understand the situation described, but there's a few reasons why this might not have worked. First thing is you want to ensure that the title you're trying to get into your line and your own title have the same inheritance laws, or at the very least both point to the same person to inherit. Something to watch out for is that even if the laws are the same, the titles might go to different people if either spouse had children before the marriage - if your wife controls a title with primogeniture inheritance, it will go to her first child, not her first child with you. So even if your kid with her is your first, and thus your direct heir, it might be her third child in which case they'd be third in line for her title (I'm ignoring gender laws here since they're even more confusing; if her previous children were girls and the law is ag-cog, then if you have a son with her, he WILL be first in line for her title even though she had earlier children since males > females regardless of order under ag-cog inheritance).

Also something to pay attention to is if the inheritance laws of the title you're after change at some point - setting up an inheritance two generations down the line leaves a lot of time for some dickhead vassal to form a faction and press for elective monarchy, which will screw any plans you might have had.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Family focus is entirely passive. It gives you the listed stat boosts and enables a bunch of events that improve relations between dynasty members or boost your relations with your spouse/children. It's what you set when you can't really think of anything else, or have a lot of dynasty members as vassals.

Sad! but good to know, no more family activites then. Time to become a hunter or something.
I think the way of life focuses still has a lot of untapped potential, hopefully we will see something more done with them.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Now another problem! I have Ulaidh as a tributary and I fabricated a claim on them and the game is telling me that I don't have a valid casus belli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Now another problem! I have Ulaidh as a tributary and I fabricated a claim on them and the game is telling me that I don't have a valid casus belli.
1) Is there still a truce? If so, wait until it ends.
2) Is there a non-aggression pact between the two of you? If so, break it.
2a) Are you married to a close relative of theirs? If so, divorce/murder them.
3) How recently did you sacrifice to the Gods and what? If the answer is "Not Recently/Never" or/and "Something Lame" you have only your self to blame.

Also, when you say things like this, it's useful to provide a screenshot of the screen when something is up, as sometimes we can divine things from said images. You can use the steam screenshot thing or just Print Screen and paint (I honestly find that works quicker unless you link steam directly and I'm to private to do that).

Zombiepop posted:

Sad! but good to know, no more family activites then. Time to become a hunter or something.
I think the way of life focuses still has a lot of untapped potential, hopefully we will see something more done with them.
The Favours and Focuses are really something that I feel could be reworked into a really great core mechanic for the next CK game where interactions between characters are more directed.

• Locked thread