Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

xzzy posted:

What kinds of lego themes are in there? Not looking for an inventory, but is it a 35 pounds of mostly star wars, or 35 pounds of red/yellow/white/blue bricks, or is it a bunch of city sets, etc?

Mix of colored bricks and some bits and parts of older sets like windows and such as well as some bits of space sets by the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow that looks like the exact same tub and exact same general mix of pieces as mine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that pretty much looks exactly like my childhood tub too haha.

Finished up my tiny ship. I changed the colors and shape a bit and I like it more now. Looks less washed out I think. I won't spam anymore pics after this lol. Might stick it up on the Ideas site again so it can get votes for 2 days and lost in the ether like my last one. Any suggestions on stuff to change/things that don't look right or whatever?

No matter how hard I try not to everything I make ends up looking like a Star Wars :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mix of colored bricks and some bits and parts of older sets like windows and such as well as some bits of space sets by the looks of it.

That's a heck of a mix, I see parts spanning from 70's to the early 2000's. And every single theme Lego put out in that period. :v:

I'm not interested in it but someone should be.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

xzzy posted:

For me, the best build surface is a solid white receiving blanket. They're about 2 feet square, lay out pretty flat, and when you drop a piece it just drops instead of bouncing all over the place.

The best part is cleanup.. pull all four corners together and you can wad it into a bundle for later.

(the hard part is finding them without color patterns)

When I was a young lad, and my knees were still good enough to build on the floor, my go-to was a bed sheet.

Made cleanup a breeze, which meant I was inclined to actually do it, which in turn meant much happier parents.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I ran into a good looking Craigslist ad that I wanted some feedback on. A bunch of Lord of the Rings LEGO were for sale: Mirkwood Spider Escape, Lake Town, Battle of the Five Armies, Black Gate, and Battle of Helm's Deep all opened, but 100% complete for $200. Does that seem like a good deal to folks?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would see what they'd let battle of helms deep go for by itself, love that set.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Dogen posted:

I would see what they'd let battle of helms deep go for by itself, love that set.

Yeah, they have Helms deep as $100 alone and the Black Gate for $40. Thinking of just picking those up, but then I start thinking "well, it's only $60 more for the rest..."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Black Gate does have Kingly Aragorn and the Mouth of Sauron so it's cool for that. I got spiders of mirkwood since I wanted all the dwarves from The Hobbit and was cheap, I don't know much about the lake town sets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

First lego purchase in like 20 years. I don't think it's a bad haul for about $20.

I didn't buy enough flag poles!!! 100 wasn't enough!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 5, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Anybody here in or around Chicago interested in 34+ lbs of Lego bricks (no-minifigs)? $8-$10 is the average per pound correct?

I could meet you halfway between Indy/Chi if you were willing to negotiate price. I see a lot of filler in there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I caught a bit of Lego Worlds footage at E3. It looks amazing. It was honestly what I was hoping Dimensions would be wayyyy back when. Very exciting game for both people who want a Lego Minecraft clone (like me), and people who want a great virtual tool for experimenting with MOCs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

djfooboo posted:

I could meet you halfway between Indy/Chi if you were willing to negotiate price. I see a lot of filler in there.

PM sent.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

Finished up my tiny ship.

That's awesome, well done!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I caught a bit of Lego Worlds footage at E3. It looks amazing. It was honestly what I was hoping Dimensions would be wayyyy back when. Very exciting game for both people who want a Lego Minecraft clone (like me), and people who want a great virtual tool for experimenting with MOCs.

I bought Lego Worlds ages ago on Steam and thought it was alright but not as good as Minecraft for... Minecraftin' and not as good as LDD for MOCs. What new stuff have they announced?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Super pleased with the new Ecto 1. My only complaint is that you lose the windows all the way around, but you get a much better interior that seats 4, everyone has a cool accessory besides their proton pack, there is a cool rear door to the storage area that fits all their stuff (except the packs unfortunately), working doors, headlights are super cool (have those parts been made in trans clear before?)

Also all the minifigs are really great, especially love the homemade "Kevin" tag on Hemsworth's flight suit.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I'm halfway between Indy and Chicago, can I come for an impromptu Legoon meet? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lies, there is nothing but corn and chicken farms between Chicago and Indianapolis. And through it all is I-65, the shittiest interstate ever because it's full of left lane cruisers (with Illinois plates) and trains of semis.

Surely no one actually lives there?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Before I got into lego trains I saw they had 3rd rail track for the trains to get power from some sort of central feed.
But the first lego train I got had plastic track and you had to load a car up with batteries and then the train would just go unless it hit a "signal" which would bump a switch that stuck out of the side of the battery car.
The next lego train I got had metal track and an actual throttle like with model trains. This of course gave you fine control over the train and no need for batteries.
Now I see lego is back to plastic track but to get the train to go you need a little battery pack and motor plus a remote control? They sure are changing their standards a lot. Is the old metal track compatible with the new plastic track? It looks identical other than being non-conductive.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 5, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Spent the weekend taking apart my big 3 Technic sets with thoughts of selling them: Ferrari 599, 8258 Crane Truck, and 8421 Mobile Crane. And then some smaller sets as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw the technic porsche in person at the lego store today, that is one drat impressive build. Probably won't buy it because I don't see much remake value in it.. it's one of those things that's so big and intricate that it gets assembled once and sits on a shelf forever and I like my sets to be a little more disposable.

I settled buying a nexo night set with all that sweet trans orange. :v:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Before I got into lego trains I saw they had 3rd rail track for the trains to get power from some sort of central feed.
But the first lego train I got had plastic track and you had to load a car up with batteries and then the train would just go unless it hit a "signal" which would bump a switch that stuck out of the side of the battery car.
The next lego train I got had metal track and an actual throttle like with model trains. This of course gave you fine control over the train and no need for batteries.
Now I see lego is back to plastic track but to get the train to go you need a little battery pack and motor plus a remote control? They sure are changing their standards a lot. Is the old metal track compatible with the new plastic track? It looks identical other than being non-conductive.

I've never seen/done any train stuff personally but this might help:
http://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/2885/what-different-types-of-lego-train-tracks-exist

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

xzzy posted:

Saw the technic porsche in person at the lego store today, that is one drat impressive build. Probably won't buy it because I don't see much remake value in it.. it's one of those things that's so big and intricate that it gets assembled once and sits on a shelf forever and I like my sets to be a little more disposable.

I settled buying a nexo night set with all that sweet trans orange. :v:

It's so much bigger than I thought it would be. If I had a Porche I would buy it in a heartbeat. Alas I have a Dodge Challenger.

Also, what the gently caress Lego, there's a Mustang, a Corvette, some other poo poo, but no Challenger? Shame.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lawen posted:

That's awesome, well done!

Thanks!

I was just thinking about 2 parts Lego should really make. First off an inverted 1x1 cheese wedge would be invaluable, second a 1x2 cheese wedge with a rounded top instead of flat would be really useful for shaping stuff and I would use the hell out of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
KeeKeeKee!

This is great! I'm gonna make a million of them!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't even recognize 90% of those parts :(

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yep they are all interchangeable and the same gauge. You can use the same rolling stock from any era except maybe super early trains that had no track at all (iirc). For the second gen trains with the conductive Centre rail, you can just leave it off as its connected to the ties via studs.

The new battery boxes are probably much better and longer running than the old ones since energy density in lithium ion batteries is so good compared to what would have been around back then. Also remote control. However I do miss the powered switches, signals and lights from the old 12v system :(

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

xzzy posted:

Lies, there is nothing but corn and chicken farms between Chicago and Indianapolis. And through it all is I-65, the shittiest interstate ever because it's full of left lane cruisers (with Illinois plates) and trains of semis.

Surely no one actually lives there?

God drat Illinois drivers are the bane of my interstate driving existence.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Baronjutter posted:

precisely why it took 6 bricklink orders totaling about 40 dollars for me to get enough parts to make it. :\ (and a lot more, of course... but still...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I must be doing something wrong, maybe you guys can help?

Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical - Type 1 (open O clip) (Light Bluish Gray [aka: Medium Stone Gray]) Is something I have some pieces of from recent sets but I need more and when I look at Brickset.com and Bricklink.com they seem to show only sets that existed in the 80's and 90's. But I know for a fact that even 2015 Mixels have them. I just need a couple. Any easily attainable Mixels or better yet Lego Dimensions Fun Packs have these?

This:

http://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-4211479

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a newer variant of them that function the same, but use a different mold. Bricklink lists five possibilities:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=27

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got like a billion of those things. Is that gray just the classic gray or one of the weird new grays?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
This is the modern version. Don't think it's available in that colour in any of the recent Mixels though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The weird thing is I have the right piece in the right color and I'm not sure where I got it but all my Lego stuff is really new. Mixels, architecture possibly the EXO suit, Star Wars...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Digital War posted:

This is the modern version. Don't think it's available in that colour in any of the recent Mixels though.

Sorry phone posting and missed this post. Found a Lego dimensions Chima with 2. Thanks!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

And through it all is I-65, the shittiest interstate ever because it's full of left lane cruisers (with Illinois plates) and trains of semis.

As someone with family in the greater Chicago area, gently caress goddamn left lane cruisers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baronjutter posted:

They are good parts and a lot of them dramatically change what you can do with legos, particularly small scale ones

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, when I was trying to make all my little 2x2 buildings I was thinking "I wish I had some of this crazy newfangled lego people use to hyper-detail tiny poo poo"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought you guys might be interested in this. I ran into a great way to make your own stickers. I think it's going to be really useful for MOC's for me but it could also easily be used to replace worn stickers/have stickers for an official set you are building from sourced parts. Anyone who is familiar with tape transfers already knows what this is but I never thought to use it for lego.

All you have to do is. Print the image you want with a laser printer then stick a piece of clear packing tape over the part you want. Brandish the poo poo out of it with the back of the scissors and cut it to shape.

Then soak it in water and rub the paper off and the image will remain. Once it dries it will become sticky again and stick right on. You can also leave it slightly damp to adjust it, put pressure on it and rub it firmly but gently with a paper towel.

The final result was surprisingly effective I think. The flash from the camera makes it look worse than it does in person. I think it looks indiscernible from official Lego stickers and the packing tape gloss matches the gloss of Lego perfectly.

You can also do this in full color (except white unfortunately) if you have access to a color laser printer or are willing to drive to down to Kinkos.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I thought you guys might be interested in this. I ran into a great way to make your own stickers. I think it's going to be really useful for MOC's for me but it could also easily be used to replace worn stickers/have stickers for an official set you are building from sourced parts. Anyone who is familiar with tape transfers already knows what this is but I never thought to use it for lego.

All you have to do is. Print the image you want with a laser printer then stick a piece of clear packing tape over the part you want. Brandish the poo poo out of it with the back of the scissors and cut it to shape.

Then soak it in water and rub the paper off and the image will remain. Once it dries it will become sticky again and stick right on. You can also leave it slightly damp to adjust it, put pressure on it and rub it firmly but gently with a paper towel.

The final result was surprisingly effective I think. The flash from the camera makes it look worse than it does in person. I think it looks indiscernible from official Lego stickers and the packing tape gloss matches the gloss of Lego perfectly.

You can also do this in full color (except white unfortunately) if you have access to a color laser printer or are willing to drive to down to Kinkos.

That is fascinating, does it require the use of special paper or just regular printer paper (as if there is such a thing. . . I just buy whatever is cheap at Wal-mart)? Is it difficult to remove the sticker later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just use regular paper. Probably the cheaper the better since you want to pulp it with your thumb and get rid of the paper entirely, leaving only the image on the tape. I find the final stickiness is pretty close to official Lego stickers only slightly easier to get off. They stay on perfectly fine though. You will probably screw up a sticker by crinkling the corner when pulling it off though. Not a big deal since you can make a new one in 2 minutes.

Obviously use clear and sturdy tape (any not super cheap packing tape is ideal). Don't use inkjet since the ink is water soluble.

Also don't worry about rubbing the image off. It's waterproof and very hard to screw up.