Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I believe the kanji in -suke can also make a jo sound? so Jo-Jo? someone else can correct me if im wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The main edge of his power was being pissed off 100% of the time. But now he's ridiculously mellow.

jotaro kujo and the power of his stand, [DISTURBED]

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If it's explained at some future point don't spoil me but I don't really understand how beating DIO saved Holly because I assumed his dying would remove all of the Joestar Stands which is what would save her.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Llab posted:

I believe the kanji in -suke can also make a jo sound? so Jo-Jo? someone else can correct me if im wrong.

Yeah thats it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EmmyOk posted:

If it's explained at some future point don't spoil me but I don't really understand how beating DIO saved Holly because I assumed his dying would remove all of the Joestar Stands which is what would save her.

It literally just works because Araki Says So. It's Dio's fault the Joestars have stands, so killing him will stop the bad stands but leave the good stands because plot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

jivjov posted:

It literally just works because Araki Says So. It's Dio's fault the Joestars have stands, so killing him will stop the bad stands but leave the good stands because plot.

I can dig that. They mentioned DIO and his brain cells this arc so fingers crossed he'll be back at some point to crotch thrust and sneer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

DIO's evil was flowing through the connection the joestar line has with Jonathan. As a defense mechanism, their stands awoke, but since she couldn't control her stand, Weezer, it was killing her, and she never learned to activate it manually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, Holly was not enough of an rear end in a top hat to support a Stand, so presumably it either went into abeyance or vanished once the ~SONO CHI NO SADAME~ ended. I wonder if she can see Star Platinum now though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
She was able to see it before her Stand manifested, so I imagine so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Holly sees her son as an upstanding young man and that's all that matters.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well he is in grad school right now, attitude aside he's clearly committed to bettering himself in conventional ways.

(technically spoilers but super inconsequential so gently caress it)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Enourmo posted:

Well he is in grad school right now, attitude aside he's clearly committed to bettering himself in conventional ways.

(technically spoilers but super inconsequential so gently caress it)

I could have sworn it was mentioned that Jotaro was studying starfish in Morioh for his thesis.

Not a huge spoiler either way, though.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
to anybody worried about a lack of main baddie

diamond is unbreakable has the best main baddie

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the baddie is best because they don't exist and the rest of part 4 is the gang hanging out and dealing with random school woes and other minor things around town

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Charlie Bobson posted:

to anybody worried about a lack of main baddie

i don't think i've ever seen a post about that in 200 pages honestly.

especially considering the very first and last scenes of cour 1 are heavy hinting at him

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno about this thread exactly, but there's definitely been people around the internet wondering where the main villain is. which i guess makes sense, since part 3 starts off with it basically right away and the previous parts are short as hell anyways.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My favorite part about part 4 so far is just how everyone is just doing their own things. The way you see random side characters recognizing one another, and some people are just using stands to do their own thing is really cool. I like that so far there isn't some giant cataclysmic event or world-ending evil, it's just dudes with super powered punchghosts being selfish assholes.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I assume the main baddie is the guy cutting off hands. If that's the case he's been around since the very first scene!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm the main baddie

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I thought you were Jotaro

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I thought you were Jotaro

https://vine.co/v/iYKg31LFU6v

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nessus posted:

Yeah, Holly was not enough of an rear end in a top hat to support a Stand

This is important. Without exception, every Stand User is a complete rear end in a top hat on some level. Koichi, our precious son and full-time Good Boy, is the glaring exception, who only survived his encounter with The Arrow because Josuke was there to heal his gaping neck wound.

Even Avdol, whose stand->rear end in a top hat factor is a self-fulfilling loop, where in order to use his Stand for almost any purpose, he needs to be enough of an rear end in a top hat to be willing to light a dude on fire in a street brawl.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

deadly_pudding posted:

Koichi, our precious son and full-time Good Boy, is the glaring exception, who only survived his encounter with The Arrow because Josuke was there to heal his gaping neck wound.

Even Koichi isn't much of an exception, as his stand's growth in power is concurrent with his change from a passive observer (or victim) into an active participant.
So far, every time Koichi has make a deliberate choice to engage in conflict, his stand has evolved.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

This is important. Without exception, every Stand User is a complete rear end in a top hat on some level. Koichi, our precious son and full-time Good Boy, is the glaring exception, who only survived his encounter with The Arrow because Josuke was there to heal his gaping neck wound.

Even Avdol, whose stand->rear end in a top hat factor is a self-fulfilling loop, where in order to use his Stand for almost any purpose, he needs to be enough of an rear end in a top hat to be willing to light a dude on fire in a street brawl.

Schwarzwald posted:

Even Koichi isn't much of an exception, as his stand's growth in power is concurrent with his change from a passive observer (or victim) into an active participant.
So far, every time Koichi has make a deliberate choice to engage in conflict, his stand has evolved.

I don't buy this. There's no question if Jonathan had ever been given the opportunity to develop a Stand he'd have mastered the hell out of it despite being the most profoundly decent and good person in the series, as he clearly still has fighting spirit and determination in buckets. It's true Koichi's Stand develops as he becomes a more active participant in conflict but his actions never become malicious or violent; even when he's attacked by Yukako he actively goes out of his way to save her in a situation where Part 3 Jotaro would have happily let her fall to her death. The ability to manifest and control Stands doesn't come from being a prick, it comes from 「Determination」

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not about being an arsehole, it's 100% about having fighting spirit (no pun).

The adult Jonathan is too much of a goody two shoes by Araki's own admission, but the anime glosses over him being a bit of a little poo poo growing up. Josuke straight up spells it out about Koichi at the end of the Keicho fight. Koichi is soft as poo poo but he will jump headfirst in if he has to to help his friends, which is where his fighting spirit comes into it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

At least he fixed it better than Jotaro's hat! This first episode is pretty weird but great.

It's fine, he came way more prepared this time after Egypt.

EmmyOk posted:

e2: These motherfuckers subbed Crazy Diamond as Shining. I'm guessing for the Vanilla Ice reason?

EmmyOk posted:

Slow so far but really really cool, Shining Diamond is very unique. I see they've gone full on with the bizarre choke filters now but it works. They removed all the lines from Jotaro's face making him look way younger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

I don't buy this. There's no question if Jonathan had ever been given the opportunity to develop a Stand he'd have mastered the hell out of it despite being the most profoundly decent and good person in the series, as he clearly still has fighting spirit and determination in buckets. It's true Koichi's Stand develops as he becomes a more active participant in conflict but his actions never become malicious or violent; even when he's attacked by Yukako he actively goes out of his way to save her in a situation where Part 3 Jotaro would have happily let her fall to her death. The ability to manifest and control Stands doesn't come from being a prick, it comes from 「Determination」

More specifically, the ability to manifest and control Stands seems to come from a willingness to put it to use. It's not just assertiveness or aggression (or even confidence), but knowing what you want and pursuing it.
(At the risk of being That rear end in a top hat who compares Part 4 with Persona 4, note that no one in Jojo's is ever in denial about their shadow. Good or bad, they all fully accept this aspect of themselves.)

You're right that it's not truthful just to truncate that as being an rear end in a top hat.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Schwarzwald posted:

At the risk of being That rear end in a top hat who compares Part 4 with Persona 4

I mean that game isn't exactly shy about its inspirations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Is there a full version of this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah, Holly was not enough of an rear end in a top hat to support a Stand,

Tonio is a precious boy and I will not have you slander him in this way. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RareAcumen posted:

Tonio is a precious boy and I will not have you slander him in this way. :colbert:

Did Holly throw a knife at a man to get him to wash his hands? I think not!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Did Holly throw a knife at a man to get him to wash his hands? I think not!

Heck if I know, I don't remember seeing a lot of her to begin with!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

quote:

This would be more interesting if they didn't change his facial proportions and hair.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

This is important. Without exception, every Stand User is a complete rear end in a top hat on some level.

The Invisible Baby is an angel. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The lamb and apple sauce was "risky" so he fed it to a puppy to make sure it's not fatal for a human.

I aint sayin' many if any here do it, but the JoJo fandom always seems to forget that even the nicer characters in the series have moments where they're total asses because it doesn't fit their "haha cinnyman roll ecksdee" narrative that they're all perfect or whatever and that those points are valuable as character building so they're not just flat and boring.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 5, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Invisible Baby is an angel. :colbert:

Save that analysis for when she turns like 2 or 3 and starts throwing incredibly dangerous Invisibility Tantrums :colbert:

Also, I like how Joseph, despite being disastrously senile, still remembered enough from his :perfect: days of youth to apply like full-on liptstick and eyeshadow makeup flawlessly to her invisible face.

edit:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The lamb and apple sauce was "risky" so he fed it to a puppy to make sure it's not fatal for a human.

I thought he was just making sure the lamb was as good as he thought it was, not that it could hurt the puppy in some way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The puppy also had the same stomach issues, so it was probably best to make sure it worked on the dog before trying it on a potential repeat customer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The puppy was in no risk and thinking otherwise completely misses a large point of the chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Feeding body-horror regeneration food to somebody without warning them in advance is kinda a hosed up thing to do. Okuyasu didn't really seem to become cognizant of the effects until his teeth went shooting out of his mouth, but still. Maybe don't feed somebody a piece of lamb that makes their guts explode out of their body, even if those guts, by design, get fixed up and sucked back in afterwards.

• Locked thread