Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brosnan posted:

Then it ceases to be a skill evaluation and becomes a measure of grinding. You grind less/get farther if you're better, but that doesn't really matter (see: people in Quick Play getting bent out of shape about level differentials even though those levels don't indicate skill in any way).

He's describing the Quick Play system. It's a joke.

Not a very good one, because it's not actually that complicated to make your MMR visible without going "HEY YOU ONLY GOT THIS MUCH HAVE A FULLSCREEN ANIMATION SHOWING HOW LITTLE IT IS," but a joke nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, fixing the leaver issues will solve, like, 90% of my complaints I think. I'm glad they got to saying something so quick, but Kaplan's been pretty good about that kind of thing. The only other personal issue I have is if supports are, in fact, getting less XP. I have no way of testing it, though, because I am always support. :v:

It's also important to remember that this is still a brand new system for CM. I wasn't in the Closed Beta, but wasn't all of this completely overhauled from what was tested originally? It makes sense there's be a few kinks if all it got was a week long PTR phase.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think it might help to just have a more granular scale than 1-100. Losing a whole level seems to be a lot worse than in Dota where you lose a game and go from 3583 MMR to 3560 or something.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe the screen should show every player's MMR going up or down. People might stop believing it always decreases more than it increases when they see their opponents get a big boost. It would also clarify whether certain character picks are getting shafted in particular.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
stop referring to the sliding rating bar as XP

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe the screen should show every player's MMR going up or down. People might stop believing it always decreases more than it increases when they see their opponents get a big boost. It would also clarify whether certain character picks are getting shafted in particular.

I can see the chat logs now and they are glorious.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If you leave in competitive and don't just outright quit playing for a bit, but rather queue into something else, the game should go "oh you're just being a bitch? well, enjoy -25% damage and half hp on everyone you play for the next week"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zoness posted:

stop referring to the sliding rating bar as XP

It is XP

Xtra Pointless

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Axel Serenity posted:

Huh? That's not what I wrote at all, dude. I said no sport uses straight win/loss to judge individual performance.

Team sports don't use win/loss to judge individual performance precisely because they're team sports. The win/loss of the player would be identical to the win/loss of the team, minus games lost to benching and injury, and would therefore be useless for identifying individual contribution. The typical Overwatch player is playing in an wide variety of environments, which makes the quality of their wins and losses a useful measure of their individual performance.

I'd also point out that there is a sport that uses straight win/loss to judge individual performance: pitchers in baseball. Whether or not the stat as-is is actually useful, it at least conceptually makes sense because the w/l of a subset of games that a pitcher plays might vary significantly from the team's overall w/l.

There's also the issue of sheer volume. A 10 year career in the NFL will come out to under 200 games played total. Many Overwatch players can go through 200 games in a week. The comparison is a bit less stacked for the sports with long seasons, but even there you're going through a year's worth of games every week.

Finally, if you're agitating for sabermetrics derived ratings, consider the scale of the problem. An NFL ratings system only has to account for a bit more than 32 people per offensive position. Even if you have a system that evaluates, say, every NBA player that's still a total of ~300 people. You're familiar with the performance of most of these players, and if you notice someone being under or overvalued you just put an asterisk on your report and adjust your ratings for next season.

For Overwatch, your sabermetrics system would have to be close to perfect because it's being used to make tomorrow's schedule. It's also being used to determine player salaries, so they have an interest in actively sabotaging your efforts. It covers well over one hundred thousand players, so individual tracking is useless. Oh, and the reason the playerbase is so large is because your single system needs to perfectly rate little league, junior varsity, varsity, every collegiate level, minor league, and professional league play, and it's also responsible for promotions and demotions between those levels. The level of complexity to the problem is nightmarish, and if the support rating penalty is real than Blizzard has already screwed it up.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I want to know what my Heals Above Replacement Lucio are.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/C9_Adam/status/748045932911075330

I mean, it's anecdotal, but this was after they queued together for all their placements.

Also like, hypothetically rating a support by just their healing output would be incredibly stupid, since damage boost and speed boost are essential to pushes.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 5, 2016

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Wow, I understand it's anecdotal, but holy gently caress that would be aggravating.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

People would get TREMENDOUSLY salty seeing that lovely Hanzo on their team increase more/decrease less than they did.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Zoness posted:

https://twitter.com/C9_Adam/status/748045932911075330

I mean, it's anecdotal, but this was after they queued together for all their placements.

Also like, hypothetically rating a support by just their healing output would be incredibly stupid, since damage boost and speed boost are essential to pushes.

Would it be better if there was a per character mmr and then an average mmr?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Just showing straight mmr for everyone at the game end screen and yourself and your friends out of game would be so superior to any garbage they window dress it with. For the vast majority of dota players the mmr range in game is so tight only the truly salty ever make a deal about it (they are gonna bitch regardless so who cares).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the best is to just take skill rating with a grain of salt and understand what it does and doesn't mean.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Would it be better if there was a per character mmr and then an average mmr?

Per-character MMR is basically giving someone 20 smurf accounts for free. The costs outweight the benefits.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
If anyone is interested, Cloud9's surefour solo queues on his alt, Tisumi, and last I saw, he was around 79-81 in competitive. Similarly, Cloud9's greggo solo queues on his alt, cuteboy420, and when I was watching, he was ranking up from around 61 to 65.

The answer apparently to rank up in solo queue is to be good enough to carry your team. Surefour, for example, can solo carry on KOTH maps even against other rank 60 and 70 with his Tracer by just killing the other team by himself. It was honestly crazy. I don't think I've ever seen anyone dive onto a point and successfully 1 v 6 it and cap it. He ended up with like 100 kills or something.

Greggo's alt seemed to do a bit more mixup between OP support (not surprising given his team role) and DPS carry (on Widowmaker while I was watching).

I guess the game just expects someone who is really 10 or more lvls higher in skill rank to their teammates to be able to carry their team to a win.

Edit: Sad for Adam, but how much individual healing are you getting done while playing with surefour or something? The top dps are probably just mowing down the opponents so the game can't get a good read on how good you are as a healer.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 5, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Supercar Gautier posted:

God this would be hilarious

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also given that you don't queue up as a given character (because this would be an awful idea, despite this being how a lot of people would want to play the game) what would a character mmr even mean for the matchmaker

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Papercut posted:

People would get TREMENDOUSLY salty seeing that lovely Hanzo on their team increase more/decrease less than they did.

Excellent.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Efexeye posted:

seems like that's a legitimate complaint, no?

I think a big problem with competitive solo queue is that a support can't "carry" a team. If your dps is bad (that includes tanks, as they do kill people in this game), a support won't suddenly make them kill things.

Don't get me wrong, a good support is amazing to have around and can definitely be the difference between a win and loss, but they can't make a bad player hit their shots (or not be stupid and run in alone).

So tl;dr is that I think good support solo-queuers are just purely at the mercy of the RNG of getting a few decent team members. I think your luck has just been poo poo and isn't indicative of the system as whole :(

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've decided that all i care about is how many comp points i get towards my gold grenade launcher and that's let me feel a lot more chill about the whole thing

it also helps to realize that even good players can get on a bad losing streak and drop 10 ranks in a weekend. it's okay! it's gonna happen. it's probably not your fault. :unsmith:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Zoness posted:

also given that you don't queue up as a given character (because this would be an awful idea, despite this being how a lot of people would want to play the game) what would a character mmr even mean for the matchmaker

Well maybe the matchmaker would use the current mmr, but you could see the per character mmr so support mains would feel better?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's likely they go with these obscure ranks and poo poo to hide the terrible matchmaking or mmr system in the back end.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

subx posted:

I think a big problem with competitive solo queue is that a support can't "carry" a team. If your dps is bad (that includes tanks, as they do kill people in this game), a support won't suddenly make them kill things.

Don't get me wrong, a good support is amazing to have around and can definitely be the difference between a win and loss, but they can't make a bad player hit their shots (or not be stupid and run in alone).

So tl;dr is that I think good support solo-queuers are just purely at the mercy of the RNG of getting a few decent team members. I think your luck has just been poo poo and isn't indicative of the system as whole :(

Yeah. I already have 14 hours in CM as Lucio alone, and it can be rough. I can hop around a payload all day, but if the team is bad, all I've done is made the other team win slower in the end. I'm trying to play other characters, though, and thankfully people are more willing to go Support the past day or so than when it opened.

Apparently if I really want to carry a team, Master Overwatch says I should always insta-lock Torb. I am somehow ok with this.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

subx posted:

:haw:

Anecdotally I've been as low as 39 as a support main but have no problems keeping up with my teammates in rank 56 matches v:shobon:v. It makes sense - when we do lucio-mercy and I pocket a good pharah on hollywood or route 66 streets that pharah is going to devastate our way through the second point, and I'm going to accomplish a lot more as symmetra when my team actually knows where to hold on dorado or gibraltar instead of overextending to the offense spawn.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 5, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It should be obvious if you think you are better than your team mates to pick someone other than the aoe heal bot with a weak rear end gun.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Zoness posted:

:haw:

Anecdotally I've been as low as 39 as a support main but have no problems keeping up with my teammates in rank 56 matches v:shobon:v.

Honestly ranking supports has to be a really difficult task to give an algorithm to accurately measure performance. You can't just base it purely off "amount of healing" or anything like that.

I think just giving everyone on the team the same amount of "ranked xp" would probably end up being more fair to everyone.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

flashman posted:

It should be obvious if you think you are better than your team mates to pick someone other than the aoe heal bot with a weak rear end gun.

I have a couple friends that are amazing supports that have great game awareness and ability to stay alive that I can't match, but can't aim all that well and actually enjoy supporting.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashman posted:

The problem is that the teammates who are obviously bad (like who insta-lock Hanzo immediately at the start of every round and map) aren't going to switch even if the team has no support.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supporting is fun. I like supporting. I feel I am at least reasonably good at supporting. Most importantly if I don't support odds are someone else isn't going to or will only do it grudgingly and unhappily which rarely leads to good play.

If I lose a game I rarely felt like I could have changed it as an additional Soldier 76 with no support at all compared to as a Lucio or Mercy where at minimum I can revive a dead team or allow for a strong push to help carry weaker players over a hump.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

The problem is that the teammates who are obviously bad (like who insta-lock Hanzo immediately at the start of every round and map) aren't going to switch even if the team has no support.

Also the Mei that blocks your ults. Like what do you even say aside from frantically yelling 'drop it drop it' into team comms when you hammer down 4-5 enemy players and your Mei ice walls them into safety?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Blizz needs to put Avoid Player back in for comp mode.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Essentially what the problem seems to be is that good teams, which steam roll the enemy, don't actually give healers a lot to work with. They might take scattered damage here and there, but for complete stomps it's at a point where the enemy are dying a lot, so the DPS is doing their job, damage isn't coming through, so the tanks are doing their job, and there's only a scattered few people who need to be topped up, so healers don't really get to do their job. Or rather, Mercy doesn't get to do her job since people aren't taking damage, she's not really healing that much, damage boost isn't that great, and she's not actually getting any eliminations/damage done herself.

So the ideal situation for Mercy is a long, drawn out battle where your team struggle but ultimately win rather than you rolling over them.

Lucio/Zenyatta are probably in a better position than Mercy as they can contribute meaningfully to the fight aswell as heal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i've decided that all i care about is how many comp points i get towards my gold grenade launcher and that's let me feel a lot more chill about the whole thing

it also helps to realize that even good players can get on a bad losing streak and drop 10 ranks in a weekend. it's okay! it's gonna happen. it's probably not your fault. :unsmith:

After a few nights in the 45-55 range, this is truly the best attitude.

Play comp over QP because comp gives out >0 comp points. After a few nights, I've found very little difference in the chill levels, team comps, or winrate between comp and pre-comp QP.

Also, every QP game I've played since ranked came out has been absolute garbage. There's a tryhard queue and a practice/warm-up queue now. That's fine, but being as I'm not prone to Big Emotions I'm not sure why anyone would play QP for fun now. It's just worse games for less reward.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I really wonder how many people care about XP and rankings as they play the game

Then I wonder if directly showing people how much XP they've forfeited as a stat on their player profile would help reduce the amount of ragequitting or quitting just because their team is doing bad

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zoness posted:

Also the Mei that blocks your ults. Like what do you even say aside from frantically yelling 'drop it drop it' into team comms when you hammer down 4-5 enemy players and your Mei ice walls them into safety?

I got invited to this group yesterday out of solo queue, so it wasn't clear who knew who there. This one member is like 5 ranks lower than the rest of us, and over the course of about 8 games he insta-locks Mei every time, regardless of scenario or team comp. I'm trying so hard to hold my tongue about it because i don't know if these guys are friends or whatever, when finally another member of the group is like "dude do you ever play anything other than Mei?"

The worst part about it was that in like 3 of those games an enemy Mei was terrorizing us and the obvious team comp change was for our Mei to switch to Pharah or Junkrat but nope.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Ddraig posted:

Mercy doesn't get to do her job since people aren't taking damage, she's not really healing that much, damage boost isn't that great, and she's not actually getting any eliminations/damage done herself.

Damage boosting can make a lot more characters one shot people, that's kinda huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lant posted:

Damage boosting can make a lot more characters one shot people, that's kinda huge.

It's great. but it's not necessarily great when it comes to Blizzard's weighting for contribution to teams, it seems.

A lucio doing chip damage to a bunch of people with his gun/knockback/punch or Zenyatta slamming his balls at people seems to contribute a lot more to whatever algorithm Blizzard is using to determine how well you're playing than just pressing M2 on a DPS character.

e: I wouldn't entirely be surprised if Mercy getting lower contributions than other people is an unintentional bug by them 'fixing' whatever it is that caused her ult to charge when damage boosting someone shooting shields. The way Blizzard have handled this entire competitive update makes me wonder if this is not the case, since they've hosed up everything else.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 5, 2016