Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Someone Awful! posted:

greatestplayer is winning every single combo and if you actually do that what the hell is wrong with you :(

Note that there is currently only one greatestplayer, which is comborobin: a project of numerous people contributing wins to a single account over the period of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Got another 15 Runer.
code:
14326904 worldfamousw the Petrodigitator (level 27, 197/197 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on July 3, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on July 5, 2016!

The game lasted 10:50:38 (111556 turns).
One of these days I'll stop just falling back on Vehumet for my wins. One day.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Philip Rivers posted:

My favorite Cerebov moment (and Crawl moment in general) was my first 15 rune win on a VSBe of Zin. I was super hyped for the fight, buffed all the way up, and turned the corner and hit Recite. Turns out Cerebov doesn't (or didn't?) have rDrown because one turn later he tripped and fell into a lava pit and immediately died. I had like a dozen people spectating me too and the consensus response was "...what?" :allears:
He still doesn't have it. You can also kill him by picking him up with Tornado and then letting him drop into the lava

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

One day I will have a caster who can cast Tornado so I can see what it does... I'm intrigued but resisting the urge to wizmode it...

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It was The Best Video Game Feeling.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:madmax:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Poor Cerebov, why didn't his mother pack him a sweater :(

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I warmed him up

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

One day I will have a caster who can cast Tornado so I can see what it does... I'm intrigued but resisting the urge to wizmode it...

my current character (TeAE) is the first one i've ever used Tornado on, and the first time i cast it was the v:$ ambush

a+, would definitely recommend

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Tornado's great because it does a bunch of damage and conveniently keeps most enemies from entering melee range. It also makes a hilarious combo with Airstrike.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's also single school and really MP efficient. also it doesn't have the "doesn't work well against some enemies" thing nearly as much as shatter(though it doesn't do damage to air elementals but honestly whatever)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

pathetic little tramp posted:

26*23 is 598. That's the bare minimum you'd have to pull off.

And even then, the table of your wins will be incomplete, because there are old classes like Stalker/Crusader and old races like MD/OM/E. You can still win as a Death Knight or Healer or Priest if you play on 0.14, you can still play as a SE on 0.10 at least, but Kenku/LO/Dj are all unachievable.

relevant: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/comborobin.html

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
My DEFE used Tornado in Hell before CSZO went down and it was massively effective. The most efficient way to clear out the popcorn I had. I was constantly terrified of killing myself in Cocytus and Gehenna in water / lava though.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

is there any account with more wins than comborobin?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
god, i hope not

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Does Crawl somehow wait until I'm half-drunk & stoned off my gourd, then do this?
Why is Crawl doing this to me?

e: Yeah, that dude is dead.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 5, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
After playing extremely sporadically since like 0.13 or something (when Djinni were still a race), I finally came back and did it :shobon:

quote:

1654299 Mendin the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
Began as a Formicid Fighter on July 4, 2016.
Was the Champion of the Shining One.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on July 5, 2016!

The game lasted 11:49:25 (78314 turns).

Decided to swap from Vanilla Minotaur over to Bugmens when I noticed that Finesse now actually works on Formicids, so why not go for Extra Big Clubs and Large Shields? Apparently Grandpa Okawaru loved the hell out of me, giving me a +2 Demon Whip of Electrocution shortly before Lair, the +9 great mace of Okawaru's Regard {drain, rC++} in Lair 1, and a +4 Great Mace of Crushing sometime mid-late Lair. My spectators were throwing a small fit about me getting endgame-quality weapons before I finished Lair. Later I found a dire flail of holy wrath which let me accelerate my TSO grind, and just before converting gods, I entered a Trove that cost all my Piety and found the +6 crystal plate armour "Ilujag" (worn) {+Blink rN+++ Stlth-}

Turns out chufting around with nearly 60 AC was pretty good (In honor of Haifisch's Ultimate Lifeform, I ate/drank every purple I came across and spent much of the run with Clarity, rFire, and an extra 3-8 AC in scales) but Slime and Tomb both scared me off on floor 1, and I didn't have the non rN resistances to hit up the Hells. I was warned about Orbs of Fire but forgot they malmuted that hard, so I got a bit shook up, but turns out Formicids can Orb Run like bosses by just Looney Tunesing their way through walls to get to stairwells out.

e: On suggestion from one of my spectators, I kept my artmace around and set it down in the Orb of Zot's resting spot, so Okawaru by proxy left his Regards :v:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

Bai Suzhen, Madame White Snake
A weary draconian with foreign and watery scales. She has come to the Dungeon
in hopes of resurrecting her mortal husband; a noble cause, for a being once
known for quarreling with saints and flooding unfortunate temples. If pressed
to her limits, she will reveal her true form, the mere sight of which struck
her husband dead. Adventurers may wish they were so lucky!

AC ++......
EV +.....
MR ++...

She looks extremely dangerous.
She is immune to electricity; and resistant to poison and cold.
She can see invisible.

She has mastered the following spells (which are affected by silence and
antimagic):
a - Summon Hydra b - Abjuration
To read a description, press the key listed above.
She is intelligent.
She is vulnerable to silver and hated by Zin.

If she is slain and butchered, it may be possible to recover her hide, which
can be enchanted into armour.
Whatttt. What's this.

e: she was super tough. I swapped an rElec armor on but it didn't really help, her thunderstorm slams you into trees for massive damage. I eventually killed her via berserk and a BiA iron troll, but it was close. She's ridiculously strong for Swamp rune vault, where I found her.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 5, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've met her twice, doesn't seem too bad. Maybe was because of the beefy characters I had though-but also I met her in depths? Maybe she was adjusted in depth.

Worth noting that she's always surrounded by thunderstorm clouds(which do 35-80 damage 1/3rd of the time you're standing in them), which apparently her description does not mention(granted, you'd see them)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wanna know what kind of man would both gently caress a humanoid dragon lady, and also be so shocked that he would die upon seeing her true form, as... a dragon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Give her true form a unique Chinese dragon tile.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it is already

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
code:
s - the +4 demon blade of Battle (weapon) {venom, Fragile Str+7 Dex+6} {god gift}
:getin:

"But wait," I said, as I entered Lair, "What happens if I run into a hydra?"

code:
The eight-headed hydra looks as sick as possible!
Oh.

Oh. :unsmigghh:

Edit And then things got stupid.

code:
 You lop one of the 13-headed hydra's heads off!
 The 12-headed hydra grows two more! You slice the 14-headed hydra!!
 You kill the 14-headed hydra!
_Okawaru accepts your kill.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 5, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hubris is killing a hydra+black mamba combo as soon as you enter lair, and then dying to a porcupine shortly after

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's worth noting truly metal chars can disregard the hydra regrowth heal; very noticeably trolls with claws and berserk. Rip and tear!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

code:
 You continue putting on your scorched cloak {god gift}. x5
_You finish putting on the +0 cloak of the Buccaneer {Regen+ Dex+10}
:eyepop:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Holy poo poo I didn't even know regen could spawn on cloaks, that's freaking awesome

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I seem to find a lot more regen these days. I assumed the spawn rate was bumped up with the changes to amulets, but that's probably not true.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Today I learned that word replacer add-ons work on webtiles.

code:
 The deep elf archer power levels at you and mumbles some strange words.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I wanna know what kind of man would both gently caress a humanoid dragon lady, and also be so shocked that he would die upon seeing her true form, as... a dragon.

The guy who keeps adding snake lady uniques and remaking old uniques to also be snake ladies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Reptilian ladies are cool. We need a turtle lady and a lizard lady

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

IronicDongz posted:

The kind who's from a myth where she looked like a human and then found out he was loving a giant snake.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Hmm, I now have the urge to host a crawl server that supports Crawl 0.5 and the broken branch that hosted LO and Dj so they can fill in that table. But old crawl is just so unbearable now.

I wanted a SE win, so I went back to 0.10. It's amazing how much more brutally unfun 0.10 is now that I've played 0.18. I remember first playing around 0.7 or something and not really caring that I had to switch to a sharp weapon to butcher corpses or that I was constantly throwing away 40 to 50 throwing projectiles so I could stay under the weight limit or victory dancing. But when I downloaded the old builds just to remember what it was like, I was done about 3 floors in.

Oh I just noticed too - it's impossible to ever win as a DgBe./DgAK/DgHe. Well Boo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bye, Susan.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Worth noting that she's always surrounded by thunderstorm clouds(which do 35-80 damage 1/3rd of the time you're standing in them), which apparently her description does not mention(granted, you'd see them)

Those only show up once she enters her true form, at half health.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wondering what I should do next on this character: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt (note I just tried that chain mail on and only saw the failure chances now, everything except conjure ball lightning was at about 10% or less in the +0 robes I was wearing before)

1) I have a good selection of spells, but I feel like I'm not really punching well enough. Stuff like elephants and boulder beetles were still taking a couple Iron Shots to get through and I didn't have any great area spells when things weren't in LRD range (except igniting mephitic cloud, hence picking up Ball Lightning when Vehumet offered it to me). In terms of skills should I focus on getting my magic schools higher to make my spells hit harder? Iron Shot was giving me hunger problems, but the staff of energy solves that. (I haven't received my final spell gifts from Vehumet.)

2) Or should I branch out and look at some other stuff? I got that demon trident at the bottom of lair, and that chain mail is nice too. I haven't put any points into Fighting/Dodging/a weapon skill/Evocations at all.

3) Any other general tips? I have a scroll of acquirement, not sure what to use it on.

Thanks!

edit: I know I ask for help with spellcasters a lot, I feel after Lair is specifically when I start floundering, hence asking for help.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 5, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

So then the reason her husband died was because she entered her true form and then a thundercloud fried him. What a dumb dragon.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What kind of armor does her hide turn into? Storm dragon?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

Ah, I don't think it worked that way when I last fought her.

BigFactory posted:

What kind of armor does her hide turn into? Storm dragon?
IIRC yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IronicDongz posted:

Ah, I don't think it worked that way when I last fought her.

It always worked like that. She used to have rain clouds in dragonkin form, but those deal no damage.

• Locked thread