Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qntm posted:

so why exactly didn't the truck have those metal bars along the sides which prevent vehicles from going under them

known as a mansfield bar, named after a starlet who was killed after rear-ending a semi

theyre only at the back of the trailer, but if they'd had that or those side or those aero kits, the bumper-height lidar would probably have picked it up lol

Jonny 290 posted:

Somebody in here bought a 1.6 million dollar house. If they are not completely touched in the head, that means they make at least $533,000 a year. Anything lower and they'd be literal familial/child abusers for taking on risk of that magnitude.

or their parents kicked a huge deposit or are just paying the mortgage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if the lidar hadn't picked it up, side bars would mean the point of impact would be the car body and crumple zones instead of the dudes head.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I don't think side underride guards are really a thing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

the mascot of self driving cars

Lol

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't think side underride guards are really a thing

they absolutely are and in fact they are mandatory in the eu. it's probably different in the states though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is it legal to require your employees to sign away their rights to bring ADA / civil rights act lawsuits against the employer? Because I sure as gently caress don't think that's legal but my gf's company is giving everyone "a bonus!!!" if they sign this document that has an absurdly wide blanket waver section saying you agree to never sue based on "all claims for alleged fraud, concealment, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, quantum meriut, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, wrongful discharge, breach of covenant, violation of public policy, sexual harassment, constructive termination, retaliation and discrimination based on age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, or retaliation or any other factor protected by law"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i should mention they're a somewhat scummy ~fast-growing~ tech company that got bought by another, bigger tech company recently so it is in fact applicable to the thread

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol they're definitely doing some financial fraud

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is it legal to require your employees to sign away their rights to bring ADA / civil rights act lawsuits against the employer? Because I sure as gently caress don't think that's legal but my gf's company is giving everyone "a bonus!!!" if they sign this document that has an absurdly wide blanket waver section saying you agree to never sue based on "all claims for alleged fraud, concealment, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, promissory estoppel, quantum meriut, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, wrongful discharge, breach of covenant, violation of public policy, sexual harassment, constructive termination, retaliation and discrimination based on age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, handicap, disability, or retaliation or any other factor protected by law"

yeah that sounds unenforceable as hell

it might even legally qualify as unconscionable

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

lol they're definitely doing some financial fraud

another section says you agree to indemnify and hold harmless all cases of "controversy" which afaik isn't even a legal thing you can do that to

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lol, he hosed up the menu for a brewpub and is super mad about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes, sign this contract that disallows you to report a crime. i'm sure that'll work in court

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nooooope.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
sounds like a typical "not an enforceable contract but we'll put the idea in people's heads that it is so they won't ever even begin legal action" which seems surprisingly common and should be punishable if it isn't already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i should mention they're a somewhat scummy ~fast-growing~ tech company that got bought by another, bigger tech company recently so it is in fact applicable to the thread

tell her to sign it "fire your lawyer" and take the bonus anyway

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ghost Farts posted:

they absolutely are and in fact they are mandatory in the eu. it's probably different in the states though

lower your car enough and you can just slip right thru

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
i mean, i absolutely see the upside to turning trucks into mobile techbro guillotines, so i'm not sure whether the us policy is actually worse here

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

tell her to sign it, take the bonus, and send a report with a photocopy of the document to the state employment enforcement division since it's illegal as all heck

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zikan posted:

tell her to sign it, take the bonus, and send a report with a photocopy of the document to the state employment enforcement division since it's illegal as all heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7KjQrUVJ10

steve miller is bad but this is still relevant

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zikan posted:

even here in the great state of florida, where "gently caress the worker" is our state motto?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you can't sign away your federal rights so take the money and send a copy to the AG, NLRB, whoever wants it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yep. Something that clearly egregious is not only unenforceable it's likely illegal, it doesn't matter what you sign, that waiver is worth nothing in a real suit.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 5, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Whether you make $50k or $150k the lion's share is still going straight to rent or mortgage. If you make $150k in the bay area but can't quite afford a non-lovely place to live and decide to move elsewhere then rest assured wherever you move you will also be offered not quite enough pay to afford a non-lovely place to live.

gently caress the property market and its black-hole effect on the productive economy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ADINSX posted:

I do like that Seattle has mostly been able to contain their influx of mid western born amazon drones to the ugliest part of the city.

i went to a punk burlesque / piercing show at the highline last saturday and it's good to know that cap hill still has some soul left. :unsmith:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also can we just have a salary/income epeen mega thread already and put all this boasting and figgie comparison in one place. bonus points if the op can figure out how to minimize blatant over exaggeration.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Money is fail.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Whether you make $50k or $150k the lion's share is still going straight to rent or mortgage. If you make $150k in the bay area but can't quite afford a non-lovely place to live and decide to move elsewhere then rest assured wherever you move you will also be offered not quite enough pay to afford a non-lovely place to live.

gently caress the property market and its black-hole effect on the productive economy.

Lol if your mortgage isn't 7% of your income

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

Money is fail.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

including your wife's income?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I live in Seattle and make a non-computer toucher salary

it's bad

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I live in Seattle and make a non-computer toucher salary

it's bad

made tagine on sunday. :hf:

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

including your wife's income?

Yeah, that's why it's called "household income."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
rent is 18% of my gross income. not as bad off as many :shrug:

if it were 7% i would be ballin outta control

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

ours is 19% of net. that's p deece imo.

Apr 7, 2003

Ours is 12% of net. I laugh at people who overbuy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my mortgage is like 600 a month but im still broke all the time because of the crushing burden of undischargable student loans

Apr 7, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my mortgage is like 600 a month but im still broke all the time because of the crushing burden of undischargable student loans

I have $9000 in student debt. It's not over nine thousand! Haha.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, that's why it's called "household income."

so wha? 4, 5 times median income?

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

so wha? 4, 5 times median income?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

late to ny taco chat but sunset park also has fantastic mexican food

there are also good (pricey) taco places in manhattan but people assume ethnic food has to be cheap or it isnt authentic in a weird sort of racist way, so

• Locked thread