Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
218: Idiocy is the Mother of These Inventions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stupid inventions! Whoo!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There are so many terrible, unfunny jokes in this one that they somehow become extremely hilarious all together. Nobody misses a chance to show their disgust at some flubbed punchline or worthless reference before immediately falling over themselves to blurt out a worse one. I'm glad that the show isn't generally like this, but for this episode it's beautiful. :allears:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jesus Christ Jack Chick we've been doing this podcast for how many years now?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I simply cannot get over STOG's toilet baptism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THat baby alarm thing is quite possibly the most puzzling thing ever featured on the podcast to me. I just can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to work no matter how many times I listen to it. I guess things like the hypercube are more non-sensical, technically, but the fact that the baby alarm app is somewhat reality-adjacent, and that it descends from a normal pitch into a cauldron of madness just makes it much more damaging to the brain cognitive centres.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

steinrokkan posted:

THat baby alarm thing is quite possibly the most puzzling thing ever featured on the podcast to me. I just can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to work no matter how many times I listen to it.
I had a bit of trouble too following it the first time through in the episode, but I understand it a lot better after reading it from the document. It's actually pretty simple. Before starting the route, the user launches the application and enter a destination address, either manually or withdrawing it from the favorite destinations, previously saved. As soon as you start browsing, the user will be alerted automatically and periodically with audible and visual alarms, both during the journey, both in proximity to arrival, if the application, after the message indicating the arrival at destination, still remains in active navigation for a period of time greater than 10 minutes, a sign of probable forgetfulness and deconcentration. The application allows, also, to send SMS or email messages, respectively, to a phone number or an email address, previously stored. To do this, just reached the percentage of planned trip, the windows will automatically appear, accompanied by audible and visual alarms. The messages will offer the user the choice of: 1. postpone the reminder after 5 minutes 2. send a text message or an email 3. close the windows. An additional alarm, not configurable, will popup when the vehicle is close to destination. The configuration settings, activable only after stopping navigation, optionally allow for: 1. Enable or disable the initial warning 2. Enable or disable the audible and / or visual alarm 3. Set up to three percent of the trip to the attainment of which receive the alarms 4. Store a phone number to which send an SMS 5. Save an email address that will receive an e-mail message 6. Select the ringtone for the alarm sound.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I had a bit of trouble too following it the first time through in the episode, but I understand it a lot better after reading it from the document. It's actually pretty simple. Before starting the route, the user launches the application and enter a destination address, either manually or withdrawing it from the favorite destinations, previously saved. As soon as you start browsing, the user will be alerted automatically and periodically with audible and visual alarms, both during the journey, both in proximity to arrival, if the application, after the message indicating the arrival at destination, still remains in active navigation for a period of time greater than 10 minutes, a sign of probable forgetfulness and deconcentration. The application allows, also, to send SMS or email messages, respectively, to a phone number or an email address, previously stored. To do this, just reached the percentage of planned trip, the windows will automatically appear, accompanied by audible and visual alarms. The messages will offer the user the choice of: 1. postpone the reminder after 5 minutes 2. send a text message or an email 3. close the windows. An additional alarm, not configurable, will popup when the vehicle is close to destination. The configuration settings, activable only after stopping navigation, optionally allow for: 1. Enable or disable the initial warning 2. Enable or disable the audible and / or visual alarm 3. Set up to three percent of the trip to the attainment of which receive the alarms 4. Store a phone number to which send an SMS 5. Save an email address that will receive an e-mail message 6. Select the ringtone for the alarm sound.

I think I understand it less now.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
It's just an alarm to remind you that you set an alarm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And the alarm is basically reminding you that you have a child.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Seems like a note taped to the door handle would work just as well.

Waffleman_ posted:

And the alarm is basically reminding you that you have a child.

Text "stop" to stop having a child.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

agreed.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I forgot you were a Christian Scientist.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Was this Portaxx reading donations during SGDQ? It sounds a gently caress of a lot like her if not.
https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/76130975?t=5h0m0s
Oh and of course lol at the runner getting mad.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Tracula posted:

Was this Portaxx reading donations during SGDQ? It sounds a gently caress of a lot like her if not.
https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/76130975?t=5h0m0s
Oh and of course lol at the runner getting mad.

Portaxx has been with *GDQ for a long time. She does their banner art, too. That's why she makes all those speed runner jokes.

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Portaxx has been with *GDQ for a long time. She does their banner art, too. That's why she makes all those speed runner jokes.

I was there yesterday and I wanted to say hi to her sometime during the day, but unfortunately she switched out right before the Mega Man block started, which I wanted to see, so she disappeared into the night. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled the rest of the event, but I don't know if I'll be able to recognize her wearing different clothes.

In other news, I have recently discovered this. My boss is gone for another week of vacation, so I have a lot of downtime. Thinking that compiling a document would be a constructive use of my time.

Shoshie fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 5, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Shoshie posted:

I was there yesterday and I wanted to say hi to her sometime during the day, but unfortunately she switched out right before the Mega Man block started, which I wanted to see, so she disappeared into the night. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled the rest of the event, but I don't know if I'll be able to recognize her wearing different clothes.

Portaxx is infamous for her very loud, very ugly shirts. I don't think she'll be difficult to pick out in a crowd.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dijon du jour posted:

Portaxx is infamous for her very loud, very ugly shirts. I don't think she'll be difficult to pick out in a crowd.

You're talking about a massive group of nerds though. Ugly and loud shirts are par for the course. Find a normal looking fellow and they'll be the one to stick out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope all speedrunners die in a very painful fashion. gently caress speedrunners.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I hope all speedrunners die in a very painful fashion. gently caress speedrunners.

:shobon: I know you don't mean that, friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mortimer posted:

:shobon: I know you don't mean that, friend.

oh but i do

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus, OK, I'm sorry to hear speedrunners killed your parents.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hoobajoo posted:

Jesus, OK, I'm sorry to hear speedrunners killed your parents.

Thx you understand.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Finally someone is willing to take a stand.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Croisquessein posted:

Seems like a note taped to the door handle would work just as well.

I swear my girlfriend showed me a thing on Facebook that looked like a walkie-talkie that attached to the back of your seat and reminded you to check for your baby when leaving the car. This was a couple of days before the episode went up. I wish I could find it again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

I liked them a lot more when they stayed in their basements and just made weird cool little videos instead of trying to become wacky internet personalities in the name of raising money for a ridiculously wasteful "cancer awareness" charity.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I liked them a lot more when they stayed in their basements and just made weird cool little videos instead of trying to become wacky internet personalities in the name of raising money for a ridiculously wasteful "cancer awareness" charity.

Uh, they're sponsoring Doctors Without Borders in the summer dude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phuzzy posted:

Uh, they're sponsoring Doctors Without Borders in the summer dude.

THey should die anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

is it your life's goal to recreate the "i'm not owned" dril tweet with every post you make

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
And isn't their other charity cancer prevention and early detection instead of awareness?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

video games are good.
friends are good.
charity is good.
being good at a thing (even a dumb one) is good.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Speedrunners are bad, but the real shitbags are ROM hackers. God, I wish I could fly them all into the sun, those fuckers who do video game things on the Internet.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Stop getting mad over video games.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

addendum, getting mad is good.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Ah, but video games are actually bad

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

addendum, getting mad is good.

I look forward to the day this thread becomes an episode. I also look forward to the sweet release of death!

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

i just realized that the sweet release of death is the opposite of Death Grips, woah

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Haha, she was certainly wearing a bright Hawaiian shirt on Monday. I'm bouncing between work and the event for most of the week, so hopefully I'll be able to run into her. Thanks!

Guy Mann posted:

I do know what you mean. There are a lot of people who just straight-up whore themselves out and pander to anyone who will give them a click. There are a lot of popular runners that I can't stand because of it. Watching someone who focuses on the game and pushing it further is always interesting to me, though.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Wait, why should speedrunners all die, again? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

To save time.