Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah, Marienburg hates you at the start and they maintain a large army relative to their size. If you don't conquer them early on then you're gambling on them not suddenly razing half of Reikland while you're busy elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of Assholes who are so not worth it. Want the Runefang? Oh just establish a defensive or Military alliance with Nordland.

Those motherfuckers despise me.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

Speaking of Assholes who are so not worth it. Want the Runefang? Oh just establish a defensive or Military alliance with Nordland.

Those motherfuckers despise me.

You can just kill them instead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rogue 7 posted:

You can just kill them instead.

Yes but then I'm sending my forces into loving Nordland. It's looking like I'm going to have to though, they took Marienburgs second province, and they arent' anywhere near confederacy.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can just bribe them. A small gift every turn will get you there eventually. Sounds dumb, but it's better than having to personally hold off the Skaelings all game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mukip posted:

You can just bribe them. A small gift every turn will get you there eventually. Sounds dumb, but it's better than having to personally hold off the Skaelings all game.

Plus, by funnelling money to them, you help to ensure that they'll be useful enough not to get razed to the ground by said Skaelings.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

In my empire game the Nordlanders were actually strong enough to colonize most of the pseudorussian ruins

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Faffing about last night while not watching fireworks, suddenly virtually every other faction in my most recent Empire game got the traits aggressive and unreliable. Did I do something or is this a function of some mod I installed, if anyone knows.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it worth it to hold Gossel as Empire for the commandment bonus, or should I just grab Marienburg for the sweet port and leave Gossel to burn? I keep upsetting the people that own Carroburg when I bounce back and forth between the two to stop the Skaelings from wrecking face.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Reik posted:

Is it worth it to hold Gossel as Empire for the commandment bonus, or should I just grab Marienburg for the sweet port and leave Gossel to burn? I keep upsetting the people that own Carroburg when I bounce back and forth between the two to stop the Skaelings from wrecking face.

Gossel has a salt resource, but that salt comes from the tears of empire players that try to hold the place.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Aurubin posted:

Faffing about last night while not watching fireworks, suddenly virtually every other faction in my most recent Empire game got the traits aggressive and unreliable. Did I do something or is this a function of some mod I installed, if anyone knows.

Did you end the chaos invasion yet? If so, that's part of the patch

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Gossel has a salt resource, but that salt comes from the tears of empire players that try to hold the place.

That's what I thought. Stupid Gossel.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Did you end the chaos invasion yet? If so, that's part of the patch

No, in fact it just started!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Reik posted:

That's what I thought. Stupid Gossel.

You can keep an army in ambush stance near Gossel as a fun joke.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo does DX12 make a difference. The frame rate flat out refuses to dip now, despite maxing everything and zooming way out on a campaign map filled with stacks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do you have an AMD or Nvidia card?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Nvidia

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm pretty scared to put in on with my 760, I don't want it to explode

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Oh interesting, everywhere else I've seen people post performance losses with Nvidia.

What card exactly?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Did Dwarves always get gyrocoptors so early? I didn't realize they were on the same tier as the cannon and thunderers, unless this just changed. Either way it's rad to have ~10 of them in a secondary army following around my main stack.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fargom posted:

Did Dwarves always get gyrocoptors so early? I didn't realize they were on the same tier as the cannon and thunderers, unless this just changed. Either way it's rad to have ~10 of them in a secondary army following around my main stack.

No, that was changed in the recent major update. It's a really good change, Dwarves used to have wayyyyy too much stuff locked up at the highest tier, to the point that you might never get to use any of it before the completion of a typical campaign.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Spiros posted:

I'm pretty scared to put in on with my 760, I don't want it to explode

I don't think the 760 can even make good use of DX12 but I'm not certain. It seems like DX12 really demands a 9 or 10 series for NVidia and a 3 or motherboard-wrecking 4 series for AMD.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

All nvidia cards from the 7 series up can do elements of DX12. Possibly even 6 and up. The issue here is CA deciding how to allocate their limited resources for DX12 optimization, and it looks like they've gone with the 10 series and lots of AMD stuff (I have a 770, don't know anything about AMD's naming system). That may change later, who knows.

Point being that you shouldn't extrapolate how your card runs TWWH DX12 into general DX12 performance. Some of it is nvidia but that grayed-out DX12 button in the launcher is all CA unless you have a seriously old GPU.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 6, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So are Big Un's or Black Orcs meant to be my front-line to replace Orc Boys? Neither have shields, which seems weird when every other faction seems to have a clear "this is your tarpit, use these guys" unit progression.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

Ha, how'd you see my campaign? Gossel got razed at least twice before I finally understood that tier 2 garrisons are not optional.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I've just started doing tier 2 garrisons in all my dwarf buildings. gently caress nothing can break a dwarf hold, gently caress off Grimgor.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My go-to for conquering Marienburg is to declare war then go stand next to Gorssel. Once their army leaves Marienburg to defend Gorssel I switch into Ambush stance, since they can't see my army any more they march back to Marienburg, and I Ambush them on the way. Then I can besiege Marienburg in peace.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fargom posted:

I've just started doing tier 2 garrisons in all my dwarf buildings. gently caress nothing can break a dwarf hold, gently caress off Grimgor.

It's also comically easy to take fully garrisoned walls with dwarfs while taking hardly any casualties due to bad enemy siege AI.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's also comically easy to take fully garrisoned walls with dwarfs while taking hardly any casualties due to bad enemy siege AI.

Not sure I'm really pro level at this yet, whats the best way to do it? I've just been sending 2 or 4 siege towers, and a lord or miners at the gate. With Crossbows following up and shooting everything off the walls. After that I usually push forward and get my crossbows on the walls facing inward.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

fargom posted:

Not sure I'm really pro level at this yet, whats the best way to do it? I've just been sending 2 or 4 siege towers, and a lord or miners at the gate. With Crossbows following up and shooting everything off the walls. After that I usually push forward and get my crossbows on the walls facing inward.

My preferred method is to squish most of the army to either the left or right if I have artillery, and cheese the towers down outside of their cone of vision. Alexander I am not.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pierson posted:

So are Big Un's or Black Orcs meant to be my front-line to replace Orc Boys? Neither have shields, which seems weird when every other faction seems to have a clear "this is your tarpit, use these guys" unit progression.

I usually just replace them as they die. Though imho more than 4 black orcs is going to be expensive and take a long time.

Also, correct me if it changed in the patch, but orc boys shields are only 25% anyway

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Pierson posted:

The general consensus seems to be 'replace all Orc Boyz with Big Unz ASAP' from what I can see, they're just way more fighty than regular Boyz. But as you rightly point out neither have shields, so it's a good idea to first make sure the other elements of your army can shut down enemy skirmishers reliably before upgrading or your mainline will be destroyed every battle. And the AI will literally start throwing 2/3 skirmisher armies at you if it can get away with it.

Personally I like to throw a few thin lines of goblins/boyz at the enemy first and follow up or flank with the big hitters.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fargom posted:

I could post a replay of a battle I did recently (took Black Crag playing on Hard), but I don't really have a good place to host it.

Thats the idea. Basic army idea is 3-4 grudge throwers (or cannons later on), 6 or more quarrelers (thunderers are ok too), and a bunch of warriors/longbeards/whatever. You hug one of the borders so that your army can only be shot at by one tower. I generally put a row of warriors in the front followed by a two deep row of my 6 quarrelers. You slowly march up the side while your artillery blows up the tower and then have them switch to the door (alternately shoot at guys on the walls and break down the door later with miners, up to you). You then basically stop your entire army in quarreler range of the walls and sit back and watch for a few minutes. The AI will perform a keystone cops routine with units constantly moving up the wall into the line of fire, getting demolished, and then retreating away. Once your army is out of ammo you just charge in and mop up. Usually the only thing left at that point is AI artillery, a few cavalry units, and maybe a monster unit (greenskin AI often likes to keep trolls back, but then they just retreat nearly instantly at the end of the battle so it's not very effective).

I actually won a siege this way without even going through the gate once.

e: Having a runesmith is great too as they can just stand at the base of the wall and cast that damage rune over and over. Also, once the gate is down the AI will usually have a unit waiting on the other side. You can move a runesmith on the other side and just rune them to death. Runesmiths are underrated in general imo. Dwarf heroes are terrible at assassinating but they are very good embedded in armies. Also having an engineer and/or a lord specced for missile units will make this even better.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 6, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dwarves on Hard are still a bit of a slog but it's 1000x better than VH. Was the Brightstone Mine's tier requirement lowered? I thought it was at 5 but I'm building it at 3.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fangz posted:

I think people talk up how 'critical' this stuff is. There's upsides and downsides. Taking Marienberg has the downside of exposing you to Skraeling attack down the coast, and also building up that port requires a lot of investment. And if you don't make enough friends you don't get the trade income.

The Marienburg port, like all other ports, just gives you flat income like a gold mine. You could be at war with every faction in the game and you'd still get the same amount of cash. Having a port does open up trade agreements with a lot of other factions like Tilea and Estalia of course but it's not generally difficult to make friends with at least one or two of them, especially after the chaos invasion starts, so that's even more money on top of the flat income from the port building itself.

It's also not that hard to defend, being a walled provincial capital and right next door to your recruitment centre.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 6, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It seems like VH/normal is the golden standard of fun challenge. I'm fine with the ai getting all the free stacks it wants, but I hate the idea of my troops directly getting nerfed.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

rockopete posted:

Ha, how'd you see my campaign? Gossel got razed at least twice before I finally understood that tier 2 garrisons are not optional.

Even if you can hold it and build it all the way up, then the Skaelings have easy access to raiding one of your most profitable provinces, without you being able to easily run them off. :shepicide:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Wafflecopper posted:

The Marienburg port, like all other ports, just gives you flat income like a gold mine. You could be at war with every faction in the game and you'd still get the same amount of cash. Having a port does open up trade agreements with a lot of other factions like Tilea and Estalia of course but it's not generally difficult to make friends with at least one or two of them, especially after the chaos invasion starts, so that's even more money on top of the flat income from the port building itself.

It's also not that hard to defend, being a walled provincial capital and right next door to your recruitment centre.

My point is that it makes you suddenly border a bunch of factions that you otherwise don't, and you might want not to fight those guys. At least in my game that was significant, keeping Marienburg around meant they took the brunt of a lot of Skraeling invasions, and I got on their good side enough that I could keep Reikland essentially undefended. Given the number of people moaning about ending up at war with everyone/fighting endless Norscans, saying that you could develop in a direction that mostly avoids that is at least worth mentioning.

Also my point about investment is that the people talk about *take Marienburg first thing you do*, but actually building up that port takes a long time to pay for itself, slower than building Clothier level 2s. And you probably won't get that port to the exciting sounding 2000 gp level 5 version until very late in the game. So, why the hurry? Why not wait for the AI to build up Marienburg for you, then go nab it later or just confederate into it? Maybe it is a good idea to go to war with Marienburg, but that's not the case with every game. As far as I see, fighting there would have weakened my position in my game, so I don't think it's right to claim that taking Marienburg ASAP is 'critical'.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 6, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

It seems like VH/normal is the golden standard of fun challenge. I'm fine with the ai getting all the free stacks it wants, but I hate the idea of my troops directly getting nerfed.

I don't think units get nerfed on hard, do they? It's a leadership bonus to the AI and maybe some other stuff but nothing that directly affects your troops. Still a relative nerf obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

unwantedplatypus posted:

Battle difficulty doesn't correctly adjust with ingame difficulty settings :v:

• Locked thread