Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

whypick1 posted:

"Screaming for Vengeance" was the first full album DLC. :eng101:

Well don't I look stupid. I should know better than to comment on DLC release timelines because everything is out of order to me anyway (I worked on a bunch of this month's DLC, whereas I didn't touch anything last month or the month before I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Alakaiser posted:

I believe he was referring to when Doolittle was (the first!) album DLC.

Yeah, I got that. Sorry. I guess I could've typed some explanation. My point in quoting that was, "don't get your hopes up that it will happen again." Soup will also never be a nickel again.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Feels like they released every notable Billy Joel song during RB3. What's left?

edit: It's probably gonna be Uptown Girl

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, I got that. Sorry. I guess I could've typed some explanation. My point in quoting that was, "don't get your hopes up that it will happen again." Soup will also never be a nickel again.

I got it, I didn't need it explained. I got your back.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Feels like they released every notable Billy Joel song during RB3. What's left?

edit: It's probably gonna be Uptown Girl

She's Got a Way (prob not, pianos)
Everybody Loves You Now (def not, way too many pianos)
You're My Home (maybe, doubtful considering that they're leaning more on bigger songs to get more consistent DLC action)
Ballad of Billy the Kid (prob not, pianos)
New York State of Mind (def not, pianos)
Just the Way You Are (electric pianos! a maybe)
Honesty (def not, pianos)
Sometimes A Fantasy (maybe, Glass Houses was his GUITAAAAR record)
Don't Ask Me Why (a distinct possibility)
Allentown (could do)

Goodnight Saigon (I distinctly hope not because I can't help but hear Thomas Dolby getting ripped off here - short version, Joel expressed interest in covering "Airwaves" and then all of a sudden this comes out. The verse melodies are built around basically identical interval jumps and TD apparently never felt like pursuing it, though he tells the story in the liner notes to the remastered version of The Golden Age of Wireless.)
The Longest Time (no instruments?)
Tell Her About It (prob not, so many horns)
Uptown Girl (as stated, a distinct possibility)
Keeping the Faith/You're Only Human (Second Wind) (I always get these confused with each other for some reason, but they're also light on piano and were varying degrees of hit.)
This is The Time (prob not, pianos)
A Matter of Trust (guitar licks all over the shop)
The Downeaster 'Alexa' (accordion and fiddle and groaning delay-laden guitars but no pianos! a maybe)
Shameless (made more popular by the Garth Brooks cover, but basically note-for-note identical so a probable pick, casting a net for country fans of a certain age)

All About Soul/The River of Dreams (both from a record that sold like gangbusters back in the day but probably isn't as well-remembered now, but maybe)

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Allen Wren posted:

The Longest Time (no instruments?)

No Guitar, maybe. There's a clear bass part in it. They could chart the finger snapping to drums.

edit: From Wikipedia

quote:

The song features Joel on lead vocals and all backing vocals. Two musical instruments are present in the song: a bass guitar and a snare drum being played with brushes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

No Guitar, maybe. There's a clear bass part in it. They could chart the finger snapping to drums.

edit: From Wikipedia

You're right, I wasn't actually listening to these as I listed them out. Still.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
"No guitar" doesn't really matter quite so much now that there's no keys anymore.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Due to recent cutbacks, Harmonix will no longer be charting songs. All new songs will come with the ability to play along with any game controllers you want as you listen to the song. Keyboards, Turntables, Zappers, anything you want, you can mash buttons along as the music video plays in an in-game youtube video.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

elf help book posted:

Due to recent cutbacks, Harmonix will no longer be charting songs.
Harmonix hasn't charted songs since 2013.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
gently caress Uptown Girl, unless it's Me First & the Gimme Gimmes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

gently caress Uptown Girl, unless it's Me First & the Gimme Gimmes.

80s Doo Wop Billy Joel sucks!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

An Innocent Man is Billy Joel's best album and the proper choice from it is either Keeping the Faith or Christie Lee.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm looking forward to watching our singer gnash her teeth over broken streaks on All For Leyna.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Finally getting around to downloading old DLC to my Xbone and I'm noticing that a bunch of my songs (Doors, Talking Heads, New Order, etc) that I know I own is listed as unpurchased. Is this a known issue and if so, is there a solution or is it wait and see?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

zenintrude posted:

Finally getting around to downloading old DLC to my Xbone and I'm noticing that a bunch of my songs (Doors, Talking Heads, New Order, etc) that I know I own is listed as unpurchased. Is this a known issue and if so, is there a solution or is it wait and see?

Known issue. The Doors RB3 launch 3-pack and GameStop RB3 preorder pack (Deftones, Talking Heads, New Order) are both among the affected.

Latest details here: http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/263705/updates-for-legacy-entitlements-on-xbox-one-please-fill-out-this-form-if-you-are-affected

But the short answer is: just wait; they're on it.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Remember how in RB3 if you held down a whammy for a really long time on a really long sustain it would cut back to the original pitch after a sound buffer or something ran out?
Turns out it was actually because the whammy bar is so powerful if left unchecked it will whammy the entire universe.

E: vvv poo poo, I even checked the date of the post I saw it in, and the date on the video itself. :(

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 4, 2016

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Orange Harrison posted:

Remember how in RB3 if you held down a whammy for a really long time on a really long sustain it would cut back to the original pitch after a sound buffer or something ran out?
Turns out it was actually because the whammy bar is so powerful if left unchecked it will whammy the entire universe.

Old. Certainly amusing though. I believe one of the community leads confirmed this has been fixed in the latest build, but we aren't getting any more patches until Rivals.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
For some reason when extracting the mogg from custom rock band files, Audacity doesn't seem to recognize them. Always get this error

Any help? I'm using the Le Fluffie app to extract them if it makes a difference

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

bpc908 posted:

For some reason when extracting the mogg from custom rock band files, Audacity doesn't seem to recognize them. Always get this error

Cuz they're encrypted

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

bpc908 posted:

As you were told, the song is encrypted. Customs creators have the choice to encrypt or not. All C3 songs are encrypted, and many other non-C3 authors have chosen to encrypt, but not all do. That song in particular is Eleanor Rigby, which is encrypted and I happen to know that the creator of the song and the stems, Orange Harrison, very much doesn't want you snooping around and messing with those multitracks. There is zero legitimate need for you as an enduser to be putting .moggs into Audacity. C3 CON Tools will downmix and give you a decrypted two channel ogg for Phase Shift if that's why you want it. Any other use is not intended or authorized, and I would love to see you respect the creator's wish.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TrojanNemo posted:

As you were told, the song is encrypted. Customs creators have the choice to encrypt or not. All C3 songs are encrypted, and many other non-C3 authors have chosen to encrypt, but not all do. That song in particular is Eleanor Rigby, which is encrypted and I happen to know that the creator of the song and the stems, Orange Harrison, very much doesn't want you snooping around and messing with those multitracks. There is zero legitimate need for you as an enduser to be putting .moggs into Audacity. C3 CON Tools will downmix and give you a decrypted two channel ogg for Phase Shift if that's why you want it. Any other use is not intended or authorized, and I would love to see you respect the creator's wish.

Oh, this is rich.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

xamphear posted:

Oh, this is rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TrojanNemo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Wanted to follow up on the quickie post I made last night.

TrojanNemo posted:

That song in particular is Eleanor Rigby, which is encrypted and I happen to know that the creator of the song and the stems, Orange Harrison, very much doesn't want you snooping around and messing with those multitracks.
Pretty sure Eleanor Rigby was created by the Beatles. I'm also not sure why anyone should give a poo poo about what Orange Harrison does or doesn't want them doing.

TrojanNemo posted:

There is zero legitimate need for you as an enduser to be putting .moggs into Audacity. C3 CON Tools will downmix and give you a decrypted two channel ogg for Phase Shift if that's why you want it. Any other use is not intended or authorized, and I would love to see you respect the creator's wish.
Zero legitimate need? Other uses not authorized? I bet Harmonix and The Beatles felt the same way! But you (and I) did it anyway. It's always struck me as supremely hypocritical and disingenuous of modders to take an anti-tampering stance when it comes to their work.

And hey, just as a reminder: I made the first Beatles export pack, and left it wide open for anyone to tinker with. I have been nothing but pleased as punch to see all the extra work that other people have put into rebuilding and improving it. Or, to put it into your own words:

TrojanNemo posted:

This project would not be possible without the prior work by xamphear

TrojanNemo posted:

By now we're much more familiar with what makes the game tick and what makes a mogg file, but back then you were definitely trailblazing :-)

But maybe I should have encrypted it all and told everyone I didn't want them snooping around and messing with things.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

xamphear posted:

Pretty sure Eleanor Rigby was created by the Beatles.

You know I meant the custom of the song and the multitracks. But if you want to be pedantic, go ahead.

xamphear posted:

I'm also not sure why anyone should give a poo poo about what Orange Harrison does or doesn't want them doing.

Good point. Nobody needs to care. But then he might stop creating custom content and it does affect some people, perhaps even the user who posted. In his case, he creates the multitracks manually. If those tracks end up being sold or traded online, as has happened in the past, it deters him from continuing to do what he does for Rock Band. You might not care, but some people do.

xamphear posted:

Zero legitimate need? Other uses not authorized? I bet Harmonix and The Beatles felt the same way! But you (and I) did it anyway. It's always struck me as supremely hypocritical and disingenuous of modders to take an anti-tampering stance when it comes to their work.

Yes, HMX protected their work. We had to beat that protection, or find ways around it. The reason C3 chose to encrypt its songs was to deter multitrack leeches who would then go on to share or sell the multitracks online, which in turn might bring unnecessary negative attention to C3. You might not agree with the reasoning, but your agreement was not necessary when that decision was made.

xamphear posted:

And hey, just as a reminder: I made the first Beatles export pack, and left it wide open for anyone to tinker with. I have been nothing but pleased as punch to see all the extra work that other people have put into rebuilding and improving it.

And I have never said otherwise. But to be clear, what is on the current TBRB export pack is about 90% my work, and maybe 5% yours and 5% the work of others. So yes, you were instrumental in that your work got me involved, but by now very little of the current work has anything to do with you or your initial work. You may choose to continue sharing your old version with the unencrypted multitracks. I choose to encrypt the one I share for the reasons mentioned above.

xamphear posted:

But maybe I should have encrypted it all and told everyone I didn't want them snooping around and messing with things.

You could have. Except as far as I understand it, I was the first one to discover how to encrypt these files and keep them working with the game. But whatever, right?

At the end of the day, a determined person will be able to access C3's encrypted files, either by beating the encryption or using the same methods that were used to get at HMX's tracks. But that determined person is a tiny fraction of the population seeing these files. If I deter 99% of the people from turning C3 into a source for multitracks (rather than a source for Rock Band custom content), then I'm satisfied with my work.

TrojanNemo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2016

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

bpc908 posted:

I'm using the Le Fluffie app to extract them if it makes a difference

While I'm here...not to crap on DJ Shepperd, but there's no reason in 2016 you should be using Le Fluffie instead of C3 CON Tools for anything related to Rock Band. Not that it will help with accessing the multitracks, but yeah, much easier and Rock Band specific tool set.

TrojanNemo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 5, 2016

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

:munch:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

If they do any songs from the first Third Eye Blind album I hope to god they use the originals, and not the god loving awful 2009 re-records.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
If you had said "We encrypt the moggs in an attempt to reduce the chances we get some real heat from copyright holders and have to take the site down. Contact the guy who made the custom if you really need a copy of the mogg" that would have been perfectly reasonable.

But, ya didn't. You were a real tool to that guy, and just now, to me too. Maybe be less of a tool.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

If they do any songs from the first Third Eye Blind album I hope to god they use the originals, and not the god loving awful 2009 re-records.

Those are so unfortunate. loving awful might be a stretch, everyone in the band nails their part.

Except for one person. What the gently caress, man.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Apparently they have a new single so expect it to be that!

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

xamphear posted:

Maybe be less of a tool.

Working on it. Some days are better than others.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tools get work done.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fingers crossed so hard for Losing a Whole Year

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

zenintrude posted:

Fingers crossed so hard for Losing a Whole Year

Commentary on the Rock Band 4 legacy DLC

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Those are so unfortunate. loving awful might be a stretch, everyone in the band nails their part.

Except for one person. What the gently caress, man.

Not only are Jenkins vocals lesser, but they change Jumper in really bad ways.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Pretty sure we're looking at "Graduate", maaaaybe "Losing a Whole Year", but man do I want it to be "Semi-Charmed Life (Original Version)". On top of it being a re-record, WaveGroup hosed up the mix on the RBN release really badly.

The other ones seem pretty easy:

Bastille - "Pompeii" (pretty hype imo)
Billy Joel - "Uptown Girl" (as mentioned, nothing else makes sense)
Black Eyed Peas - probably "I Gotta Feeling", maybe "Let's Get It Started"
Brian Setzer - ROCK THIS TOWN???
Fuel - "Hemorrhage (In My Hayeyands)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Fuel has other songs you know! Like... Uh... Yeah, it's Hemorrhage...

I'd MUCH rather Shimmer.