Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gamecube was strongest.

https://youtu.be/ioWnoOjP9IA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Everyone knows Nintendium is stronger than kevlar.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

That's the strangest fetish i've seen today

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

Remote play using your phone or tablet would be a cool gimmick, that will use so much bandwidth it wont work outside of Japan and wifi everywhere.
but it works just fine on Vita? :confused:

Maybe I don't understand what you mean

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Better version.

https://youtu.be/sVRJtqPRZhQ

I mean gently caress, look at that Gamecube at the end.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
At hostpital lost fingat post mote later.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

At hostpital lost fingat post mote later.

Good luck friend.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

pixaal posted:

Remote play using your phone or tablet would be a cool gimmick, that will use so much bandwidth it wont work outside of Japan and wifi everywhere.

Why would bandwidth matter? It would use local wireless. Dollars to donuts it'd even do a direct wifi connection. Anything you take on the go would use some sort of fat client and not even connect to your home NX while playing probably, if they did anything like what I think they might.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Boten Anna posted:

Why would bandwidth matter? It would use local wireless. Dollars to donuts it'd even do a direct wifi connection. Anything you take on the go would use some sort of fat client and not even connect to your home NX while playing probably, if they did anything like what I think they might.

If you were able to remote play on your phone and used your 4G which you know someone is going to do and demand that Nintendo pay for their "unexpected" bill.

It will work great if they do it, but all the places a kid takes a gameboy? The super market isn't going to have free wifi for you to play games.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

pixaal posted:

If you were able to remote play on your phone and used your 4G which you know someone is going to do and demand that Nintendo pay for their "unexpected" bill.

It will work great if they do it, but all the places a kid takes a gameboy? The super market isn't going to have free wifi for you to play games.

Do you not know what "local wireless" means? LAN?

1) The NX is a console, not a portable handheld.

2) Thus, in light of the "its a console/portable hybrid" rumors that persist despite Nintendo confirming it is only a console, I predict its gimmick will be using android/ios devices for some extra functionality, such as second screen while playing the console right in front of you by using a direct connection to the device's wireless antenna

At no point is the internet used in this scenario. If someone hacked together some wacky thing to trick the NX and tunnel this over the internet it'd be entirely on them, not to mention they could use the same high technology the Wii U gamepad uses ("is the latency more than a couple ms? its poo poo, disconnect") to make that impossible to do even if you really wanted to.

This is why I also think they will have thick clients (a.k.a. "apps") that can provide some sort of on-the-go gameplay that is tied into various titles, but is not just remote play of the title or whatever. Like maybe a hypothetical Bravely Third would let you build your mars colony or whatever the poo poo using The NX/Bravely Third app on the go, then you'd come back to the NX and it'd note your progress in that for playing the main story.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 5, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Better version.

https://youtu.be/sVRJtqPRZhQ

I mean gently caress, look at that Gamecube at the end.

They had to be durable, it's one of the few consoles that encourages you to carry it around through its design.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pixaal posted:

Work with T Mobile and get that poo poo zero rated.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

This is why I also think they will have thick clients (a.k.a. "apps") that can provide some sort of on-the-go gameplay that is tied into various titles, but is not just remote play of the title or whatever. Like maybe a hypothetical Bravely Third would let you build your mars colony or whatever the poo poo using The NX/Bravely Third app on the go, then you'd come back to the NX and it'd note your progress in that for playing the main story.

So would that basically be like GTAV's dog app? Or the website clicking for Mass Effect 3?

EDIT: Actually... why hasn't Nintendo made a mobile version of Nintendogs?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

This is not a new problem, there are tons of mobile games that already put up big honking warnings about data charges and ask you to use wifi instead. I think they can deal with it :shrug:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

So would that basically be like GTAV's dog app? Or the website clicking for Mass Effect 3?

EDIT: Actually... why hasn't Nintendo made a mobile version of Nintendogs?

They did make a mobile Nintendogs, it's for the 3/DS :smug:

But yeah it'd be nothing completely groundbreaking but if they are including some kind of framework to make developing these things relatively easy and hosting network-enabled parts on their servers, it could end up a rather compelling play for Nintendo to break into smartphone idle time.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If remote play is their big surprise they are hiding, RIP the NX.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want a real Animal Crossing game on my phone and I'm happy. I can't wait for that to come out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is it out yet

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-preparing-to-manufacture-the-nx-the-company-confirms

Nintendo is about to begin manufacturing the NX. Hopefully we'll get some details soon.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just release a game system with no gimmicks that can reliably do 1080p for less than $300. tia

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

If remote play is their big surprise they are hiding, RIP the NX.

I think it will be a little more than "just" remote play but I don't think it's going to be earth-shattering, either. But I'm also predicting this based on that Nintendo might actually be worried that someone will steal the idea, meaning it's not THAT out there. This is admittely not always the safest bet with NintendORIGINAL WATER JET PACK DO NOT STEAL

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Maybe it's just an iron man suit with galaga

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I think it will be a little more than "just" remote play but I don't think it's going to be earth-shattering, either. But I'm also predicting this based on that Nintendo might actually be worried that someone will steal the idea, meaning it's not THAT out there. This is admittely not always the safest bet with NintendORIGINAL WATER JET PACK DO NOT STEAL

Sunshine is a good game though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I would love to see a sunshine hd that fixes sunshine's problems, those problems being that the blue coins are boring as gently caress padding and that cutscenes aren't skippable and that there aren't more stages and you can't permanently wear the sunglasses since you have to keep finding the vendor dude

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-preparing-to-manufacture-the-nx-the-company-confirms

Nintendo is about to begin manufacturing the NX. Hopefully we'll get some details soon.

Nah I want to see more and more weird mockups like the good old days.

Anyone remember IGN's Gamecube controller:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think blue coins would work fine if they're the same across all instances of the stage and you have some form of radar for them or something to let you know one is nearby.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Awesome Welles posted:

I don't remember that, but that actually isn't incredibly off. It's all the stuff in vaguely the right places. Just missing the d-pad.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

ddogflex posted:

I don't remember that, but that actually isn't incredibly off. It's all the stuff in vaguely the right places. Just missing the d-pad.

Also, the world's tiniest buttons

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

The first prototype of the Gamecube controller that was shown to the public had the B button being kidney bean shaped like the X and Y buttons. Also A was blue and B was green like the N64 controller buttons were.

like so:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I absolutely loved the Gamecube controller for most games. Sometimes it was awkward (Twin Snakes! :argh:) but overall, it was just so drat comfortable.

Also, gently caress you Capcom for your Mega Man Anniversary Collection button-switching! NO ONE JUMPS WITH B AND SHOOTS WITH A!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

As you wish:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/patent_reinforces_the_prospect_of_nintendo_nx_having_a_portable_handset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-m8xeW1F5w

:dukedoge:Rumored Games:dukedoge:

https://www.finder.com.au/33-games-you-can-expect-for-the-nx-launch-window

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 7, 2016

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Why is the "I" lowercase? It bugs me more than it should.

Where did finder get the NEX abbreviation from? Did they just make it up?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A suggested article on that rumored games page is "why gta6 should be an nx exclusive"

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
is this the general nintendo wii u thread now?

I have a controversial question. I'd post it in the Zelda thread but I dont want to get jumped on.
When does TP click?

I've gotten up to the horseback battle with the kid tied to a stick and it's just not fun.

Is my brain broken?

:smith:

I'm willing to accept that it is.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SylvainMustach posted:

I have a controversial question. I'd post it in the Zelda thread but I dont want to get jumped on.
When does TP click?

I've gotten up to the horseback battle with the kid tied to a stick and it's just not fun.

Is my brain broken?

You should be past the part that most people start liking it. I'd say maybe wait until you get the Master Sword and if you still don't like it, it's probably good to drop it.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I think I may enjoy it more were it not for the fetch quests. I'm also not fond of how the horse controls (though I'm really not sure of what I could compare that against).

I mean, link looks cool. The world looks alright. The people are hideous.

But link looks cool so there's that.

For what it's worth I want to like it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

play at least to the yeti mansion its a top 5 zelda dungeon. i could take or leave the game aside from that section

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Real hurthling! posted:

play at least to the yeti mansion its a top 5 zelda dungeon. i could take or leave the game aside from that section

yeti mansion is an incredible name so by virtue of that I'll probably enjoy that bit.
I'm at the jousting part and I cant time my hits and dodges for poo poo.

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys

SylvainMustach posted:

When does TP click?

Is my brain broken?

I don't think you're broken. I got the game on release day having fun memories of playing it on Wii when it was new, but I was really surprised how much I disliked playing it this time around. If the game was just dungeons and dropped the drawn out story, or at least shortened most of it, it would be better. I think I let out a sigh of relief when I finally finished the game, it just goes on and on. That was the first time I've ever sold a Zelda game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SylvainMustach posted:

When does TP click?

Is my brain broken?

I don't think not liking Twilight Princess is an especially controversial stance, don't sweat it.

• Locked thread