Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Magic in general is significantly less powerful than it was in DS1, but that's because magic in DS1 was insanely overpowered.

Magic was insanely overpowered in DS2 also (well hexes and miracles were) but they nerfed them after launch. The miracle nerf just went a bit overboard and made them pretty bad.

FrankZP posted:

I had a Str/Fth build for my first run and honestly I liked it even if only because having those Heals in my pocket was always a big confidence/bravery boost when exploring. It's a bit of a psychological effect but I think it allowed me to enjoy the game more, especially since I'm the type that feels weirdly bad about using up consumables. And besides, faith has more use than just miracles.

Realising that life gems are great, cheap and that you don't need to save them is a freeing experience. There is no good reason to not have 99 life gems in your inventory when you go anywhere and pop them liberally.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah, I was talking about sorcery specifically, but you're right that hexes were pretty ridiculous at release. I still don't think they were quite on the level of DS1 sorceries, which had the advantage of being able to stack several powerful multipliers. Most multipliers in DS2 are very small, like 5% at most.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Hexes seem to sit in a weird place from what I've experienced, where my basic spell deals more damage than Dark Hail despite less casting time/slots, and stuff like Pursuers requiring silly investment and three slots. Feels like some weird overshoot on balancing things. Maybe I need to experiment more or work on my creativity, but so far, the best strategy has always been "attune more orbs".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah, I was talking about sorcery specifically, but you're right that hexes were pretty ridiculous at release. I still don't think they were quite on the level of DS1 sorceries, which had the advantage of being able to stack several powerful multipliers. Most multipliers in DS2 are very small, like 5% at most.

DS2 lets you upgrade and infuse catalysts, which DS1 didn't.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the perfect place to end that video

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
"Well, that Goonther boy really got himself into a pickle this time."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Buster Keaton is, in fact, the business.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It was mentioned in commentary that Lucatiel is a tank, and in fairness she is now. But the funny thing is that originally that wasn't the case. When DS2 first launched on consoles in March 2014, many of the NPC summons weren't properly tuned to hold their ground to compensate for the fact that they were idiots compared to players. (Mostly the issue was that they had far too little health/defense to survive.) But thankfully this fell under the classification of poo poo That Gets Noticed and Patched Out Fast*, so by the time it was released on PCs in April no one was noticing any issues.

*Same story as with the Dragon Head Stone glitch in DS1.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2016

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Geop, you could have prevented this. You could have listened to the thread. You could have brought torches, and then the thing that's about to happen probably wouldn't have.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you know, I had no idea I wanted a goonies-treasure-hunt / trap-avoidance / brainless-thugs-avoiding game. I really want a goonies game now.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm glad that you ended up keeping the original pun, Geop. This thread may know there was a punvergence, but after it is done, this title will remain great in the archives forever. :allears:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, this is a neat area, despite it being one of my least favorite.

Lucatiel is also really neat.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Lucatiel is slightly ahead Mr. Scottish accent whose name I suddenly forget, the guy near the goblin ambush who was spooked by the statue, as my favorite NPC in the game. I really like her storyline, as simple/sparse as it is.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

you know, I had no idea I wanted a goonies-treasure-hunt / trap-avoidance / brainless-thugs-avoiding game. I really want a goonies game now.

Chunk Souls

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

edit: nvm

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
in case you wanted to follow along at home, the rules of dogspotting

a cat on whiskey is mighty risky

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'd just like to say that the backstab animations in this game are pretty great, in particular the pole-arms' animations are just :unsmigghh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The whip ones are very :psyduck:, though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Since we're past it now: I've mentioned that there are a few areas in Scholar that have NPC summons in the middle to help you clear them. No-Man's Wharf is the first of those. You can summon a shade named Bradley of the Old Guard on the first bridge, who is a friendly cleric dude with infinite castings of Greater Heal. He'll happily keep you topped up for free while plowing through the vikings, and makes going through much easier when you don't know all the tricks.

Bradley of the Old Guard is available for a consult at a few other places in the game, along with other new and improved summons; eat an effigy of yourself now to learn more.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 5, 2016

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Xerophyte posted:

Since we're past it now: I've mentioned that there are a few areas in Scholar that have NPC summons in the middle to help you clear them. No-Man's Wharf is the first of those. You can summon a shade named Bradley of the Old Guard on the first bridge, who is a friendly cleric dude with infinite castings of Greater Heal. He'll happily keep you topped up for free while plowing through the vikings, and makes going through much easier when you don't know all the tricks.

Bradley of the Old Guard is available for a consult at a few other places in the game, along with other new and improved summons; eat an effigy of yourself now to learn more.

Well, I wish I knew of this when I was playing through this area recently. :psyduck:

I blame the fact that invasions can happen regardless but you can't summon helpers unless fully human. It keeps throwing me off.

That greater heal thing does sound great, though. Especially because, as we have seen at this point, the area has a few archers perched a good bit away from you but not a lot in the way of cover. A few of them have a pretty good shooting gallery on you while other enemies get in to melee range, which is a bit aggravating. Although at this point you will probably have some kind of ranged option for yourself; so while it's bad it isn't as bad as it could be.

Actually, just cheesing enemies from out of range with a bow trivialises a lot of things that are otherwise kinda unfair if you can keep the ammunition coming. But you pay the price by standing around pinging arrows at things being really boring.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 5, 2016

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'd just like to say that the backstab animations in this game are pretty great, in particular the pole-arms' animations are just :unsmigghh:

Caestus backstab is just grabbing them and PUNCHING YOUR FIST RIGHT INTO THEIR BACK and then throwing them on the ground :stare:

For the most part I'm pretty happy with the durability of the NPC summons, but they completely get their poo poo wrecked by poison.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

:vince:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

The Fratellis were just a covenant out to fight some grey phantoms

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:swoon:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:h:

THIS WAY, I CAN STILL SMELL THEIR BUBBLEGUM

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I'm trying to come up with a Truffle Shuffle joke but I'm coming up empty.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"be wary of dark spot" :pirate:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really wish this video went on for another minute.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really just wish Roundabout kicked in

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fabulousvillain posted:

Yeah, in retrospect it seems like the Dark Souls 2 team was really focused on combat direction, and that shone through in a few places, particularly critical attack animations. The hammer/axe animations are my personal favorite and I actually cringed a little the first time I backstabbed somebody with the hand axe.

Also, it's not quite what Kuvo ordered, but it's close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhknaG9ifbs

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If anyone wants to see a warhammer in action, you'd do worse than to see The Raid 2. One of the assassins in the film (Hammer Girl), gorily chews through people with nothing more than the sort of claw hammers you'd buy at a hardware store.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a good video without goofy editing or overdubbed music, but to be fair I didn't look too hard.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

inthesto posted:

Also, it's not quite what Kuvo ordered, but it's close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhknaG9ifbs

i looked after re-watching the episode and yes they make maces cus of course they do

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish it was my job to smash poo poo with a warhammer while wearing business casual.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wanted to post about how much I love the Pursuer boss fight, but the thread was locked on that very update. No gimmicks, just a big brute with a giant sword. You can dodge it, you can block it, you can parry it, you can use the environment aginst it, perfect.

Also locking the thread when people did spoilers was boring but probating people who talk about spoilers is very funny. In fact, it gets funnier every time. Like, not only did you not read the OP, you also didn't notice the last ten people who got punished for doing the exact thing you are doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most importantly you can kill people that summoned you for help with the environment. Did we talk about that yet? Because that's totally a thing you can do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love helping people out at the Pursuer fight. With ballista bolts. And by helping I mean impaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I had quite a bit of trouble with the pursuer because I kept accidentally cornering myself and rolling into walls/debris/off gaps in the wall. The fight itself was really fun but the environment there was just so crowded - I ended up summoning another rapier bro and we just stabbed him to death the old-fashioned way.

Also the feather is so much better than the viking hat, syle before everything else (unless you're fatrolling)

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 6, 2016

• Locked thread