Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Recruit is pretty sweet with a shield too since you can get a .45 pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vatek posted:

Recruit is pretty sweet with a shield too since you can get a .45 pistol.

Plus an actual grenade versus the (still pretty) useless flashbangs/smoke.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Party Plane Jones posted:

Plus an actual grenade versus the (still pretty) useless flashbangs/smoke.

If you know where they are flashbangs are pretty sweet. Hit-or-miss but so are grenades.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Flashbangs are great.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Happy Bacon day 'murica.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hard posted:

Happy Bacon day 'murica.

Was setting the US tag mission to double the amount of wins compared to the Canadian one a subtle gently caress you? :v:

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Logistic really.

With 4 Ops + recruit you could play an FBI every single round if you felt like it.

JTF2 was a matter of who picked Frost / Buck first.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I only noticed people going for frost/buck for a single day, FBI has been getting picked almost every round though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

lohli posted:

I only noticed people going for frost/buck for a single day, FBI has been getting picked almost every round though.

Thermite and ash get picked pretty frequently anyway. What's hilarious to me is that I've seen more fbi recruits than castle. Because castle is bad and fucks his own team more than the enemy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Great Beer posted:

Thermite and ash get picked pretty frequently anyway. What's hilarious to me is that I've seen more fbi recruits than castle. Because castle is bad and fucks his own team more than the enemy.

I love Castle because I see his 'cades and go "well that's the safest place for me to place my fuze"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I hope that 3.4 gives Tank a grenade launcher under his machine-gun.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

dogstile posted:

I love Castle because I see his 'cades and go "well that's the safest place for me to place my fuze"

They should add a tiny hatch in the barricade that Castle can pop out of. That would give him a lot more utility and prevent the enemy team from getting a safe zone behind them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rectus posted:

They should add a tiny hatch in the barricade that Castle can pop out of. That would give him a lot more utility and prevent the enemy team from getting a safe zone behind them.

That, or make it out of one-way bulletproof glass.

I don't even know if that exists in real life, but it would be cool. You can see the enemy team through the barricade but they can't see you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hard posted:

Happy Bacon day 'murica.

I can't believe you're 2016 years old America :911:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vengarr posted:

That, or make it out of one-way bulletproof glass.

I don't even know if that exists in real life, but it would be cool. You can see the enemy team through the barricade but they can't see you.

One-way glass works by the inside being darker than the outside, and the brighter side being more reflective.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Squeegy posted:

One-way glass works by the inside being darker than the outside, and the brighter side being more reflective.

We need laser guns Hard

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQMtJ6TzNI

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Duggler posted:

We need laser guns Hard

We already have the SPAS-12.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Jehde posted:

We already have the SPAS-12.

would explain my video

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wooper posted:

would explain my video

I mean lasers aren't particularly damaging unless you look directly at them

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Agreed

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't know what made it click, but i've been kicking some rear end tonight, compared to the usual where i get a couple of cheap nade kills and then die horribly. Roaming is fun!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://gfycat.com/PopularPowerlessElkhound

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So what sort of team mates should I be looking for when picking Bandit? He seems really cool but the crude battery seems ideal with other dudes but I don't really know what half of them do yet, he seems pretty good at roaming after that. What should I be looking to do as Bandit?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

So what sort of team mates should I be looking for when picking Bandit? He seems really cool but the crude battery seems ideal with other dudes but I don't really know what half of them do yet, he seems pretty good at roaming after that. What should I be looking to do as Bandit?

Bandit is flexible in that you can take barbed wire to put in doorways to electricute and kill drones to replace or suplement mute jammers or you can electrify walls to replace or suplement jammers to keep enemies from breaching. Either way if you are bandit you have low armor and high speed, you need to be roaming 100% of the time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

If you have a Pulse on your team that you can coordinate with, have the Pulse scan the reinforced wall that they will most likely breach using Thermite, then when the Pulse sees someone directly on the other side of the wall, put your battery down and catch the Thermite in the act. This avoids your batteries being taken out by Thatcher's EMPs and baits the Thermite into losing their breach charge and taking some nominal damage. This takes a lot of coordination and getting the timing just right though, so probably best to just electrocute whatever reinforced walls/barbed wire/deployable shields you have set up and go roaming.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, I'll give him a whirl. I tend to play Kapkan and Jäger a lot, he seems like a cool addition!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Basticle posted:

Bandit is flexible in that you can take barbed wire to put in doorways to electricute and kill drones to replace or suplement mute jammers or you can electrify walls to replace or suplement jammers to keep enemies from breaching. Either way if you are bandit you have low armor and high speed, you need to be roaming 100% of the time.

Speaking as a frequent Mute player though, be careful when setting up batteries at walls/doorways near where Mute's jammers/wireless routers are set up, as they will (more often than not) be destroyed due to the proximity of your car battery :argh:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

You can just sit on the other side of a reinforcement and listen for the planting of the thermite charge. You put the battery down and pick it up immediately. The thermite charge takes a long time to do its thing and it will be destroyed instantly when you put the battery down so you actually have a lot of time.
It's really cheap and stupid actually.

I don't ever think you should not bring nitro so you have to rely on electrifying other peoples shields and wire.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, and a question of my own - if I want to be roaming, is Jager with his carbine a good choice for it? Or should I be using his other gun/not roaming with him at all? And on the topic of roaming, how far should you typically be going? Like, going to the far side of the building where it's suspected enemies will be coming from, or dwelling a room or two away from the objective, or? (I mean, I've played the game a reasonable amount as-is, although when I'm a defender I'm primarily in the objective area and haven't roamed much)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are lots of ways to do it and I'm by no means the best at roaming, but generally if I'm roaming and don't have a specific plan for what I want to do (e.g. pop out of an opposite window in Oregon or Kanal, or run at them from behind on border) then as far away as possible, tucked behind a desk in a closet behind three doors where it will take a special kind of dedication to drone me out. Then start moving back at ~1:00 left when they're all way too distracted to notice you.

e: and yes I like his carbine for roaming, especially since it lets you use an acog, but then that's my playstyle. Both the GSG 9 defenders are good for roaming though because they had the forethought to wear sneakers.

Wooper posted:

You can just sit on the other side of a reinforcement and listen for the planting of the thermite charge. You put the battery down and pick it up immediately. The thermite charge takes a long time to do its thing and it will be destroyed instantly when you put the battery down so you actually have a lot of time.
It's really cheap and stupid actually.

Is there a counter to this, by the way? Because whenever I'm thermite and I go up against a bandit that does this (which isn't so uncommon these days) it literally 100% nullifies me, unless someone else is covering the breach/ kills bandit.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Not really. Have someone else pretend to breach another part of the wall.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Wooper posted:

Not really. Have someone else pretend to breach another part of the wall.

Need an operator that can create a concussive blast through reinforced walls and injure anyone directly behind them

That's not overpowered right?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Make sure to have your Gadget Deployment set to toggle so you don't lose your charge.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lots of maps have destructible parts around the wall reinforcements. Shoot Bandit from above or below.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://gfycat.com/MemorableGlamorousIndianglassfish

We lost that match 5-4 :negative:

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 6, 2016

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

Koramei posted:

There are lots of ways to do it and I'm by no means the best at roaming, but generally if I'm roaming and don't have a specific plan for what I want to do (e.g. pop out of an opposite window in Oregon or Kanal, or run at them from behind on border) then as far away as possible, tucked behind a desk in a closet behind three doors where it will take a special kind of dedication to drone me out. Then start moving back at ~1:00 left when they're all way too distracted to notice you.

e: and yes I like his carbine for roaming, especially since it lets you use an acog, but then that's my playstyle. Both the GSG 9 defenders are good for roaming though because they had the forethought to wear sneakers.

Is there a counter to this, by the way? Because whenever I'm thermite and I go up against a bandit that does this (which isn't so uncommon these days) it literally 100% nullifies me, unless someone else is covering the breach/ kills bandit.

The best way to get around this tactic is to flash bandit so he can't plant his battery. Shoot out the top of the reinforced wall and then throw in a flash before you plant. It'll blind bandit and make it so he can't see where to plant. This only works in walls that don't extend all the way up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SirDrinksAlot posted:

The best way to get around this tactic is to flash bandit so he can't plant his battery. Shoot out the top of the reinforced wall and then throw in a flash before you plant. It'll blind bandit and make it so he can't see where to plant. This only works in walls that don't extend all the way up.

Also if the Bandit is bad he might just gently caress up, and taking a thermite to the face makes him an easy kill. It's a risky tactic.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

New pro strat for Oregon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Foehammer posted:

New pro strat for Oregon:

No, that's Maxim.

• Locked thread