Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

By the way, Mega, if you have the appropriate Chocograph, you can get a treasure nearby Cleyra now.

Healing Shore is the only one in the region and by the Oak Staff he's already found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's a cool secret in Chocobo Hot and Cold. If you go south past Choco when you're not riding him between games there's a whole other quest to do and a world to explore.

Come on remember, this already happened. It's not like this LP took a year break or anything :cmon:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Healing Shore is the only one in the region and by the Oak Staff he's already found it.

Healing Shore is the one I meant, but it doesn't give an Oak Staff.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
im glad this lp is back

semper tot

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You need to do Healing Shore before you can dig up the one with the Oak Stuff, no?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

You need to do Healing Shore before you can dig up the one with the Oak Stuff, no?

Do you? I can't remember. I should probably check the old updates to see where we left off with Choco.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You need the reef power evolution to get this one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, alright. I guess he got Reef and I forgot about it. Sorry!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

So last time, Zidane and Quina jumped into a quicksand trap because Quina wanted to eat it.

Too scary! But good thing we exercise!

But I bet there no yummy-yummies... Or they rotten anyway!

Anyway, doing this lets us get a couple chests.

We get another Silk Robe and Magician Shoes from doing this.

We also get to backtrack to Cleyra with just Zidane and Quina. Hooray.

I get one of the chests and then forget the other despite being close to the thing. Oh well.

I ended the update before coming to this place, so let's check it out.

Our tradition, however, is older. Thus, our dances evoke greater power than those of Burmecia.

But Cleyrans fled to this tree to avoid conflict with the Burmecians, who began to value the arts of war.

It's kinda weird we get a lot of stuff about the relationship between Cleyra and Burmecia, but we never really see much between Burmecia and the other two kingdoms, other than Burmecia and Lindblum being allies at this time. Considering there are only three kingdoms and a long history of war, Burmecia definitely must have one hell of a history, but it seems to fall to the wayside compared to what Lindblum and Alexandria get.

I kinda wish there was a sense of what Burmecia was like before Brahne's forces wrecked it.

I was told to convey the following...

This is our trigger to continue the story.

FADE TO SILENCE

The antlion!? It is usually so docile... How could-
We gotta teach that beast a lesson!

I shall inform the high priest at once.

These Cleyrans are all so drat lazy!

So, the Antlion. This enemy has shown up several times in the series, but most memorably in FF4. In that game, the Antlion is also originally docile but ends up driven mad by the influence of an evil moon man.

No telling what's causing it here, though.

Remember Puck? He's the kid who snuck into the theater with Vivi all the way back at the beginning of the game. Well, he's here.

Hang in there, champ! We're gonna save you!

Yeah, he's fine.
Like hell, I'm fine!!
That voice!

Oh yeah, that thing about the FF4 Antlion being aggressive? It also happened to attack a prince. So yeah, a few parallels there.

Anyway Antlion's tired of all this chatter.

Here it comes!

Meet today's boss, the Antlion.

The Antlion has some nasty attacks, such as Fira. But what doesn't have Fira at this point?

It also has some good steals.

Anyway, it's vulnerable to a good number of status effects. Slow and Sleep work well, and you can use a Tent to stick Blind and Silence on it if you wanted.

I target Quina with Auto-Life in case I need it. I don't.

Sandstorm is pretty terrible. It renders all characters to single-digit HP.

White Wind of course is very handy here.

As is Drain! That's a good chunk of the Antlion's HP right there.

Finally, the Antlion can inflict Trouble. You should cure that since if you get hit by Sandstorm followed by a physical attack hitting a troubled character, that's a party wipe. Granted, it shouldn't ever really get to that point anyway.

Trance is the worst mechanic. Even if it was good, I'd just be sitting back waiting until I steal crap I won't even use and then crush the boss normally anyway.

Even Quina's sad over how useless their Trance is.

While I go for that Semi-Rare steal, I have Vivi spam Focus.

Finally. Teaches Freya Reis's Wind if you didn't get it earlier, Clear Headed, and Mental Break for Steiner, which reduces an enemy's magic defense. Now we can start going on the offensive.

JESUS loving CHRIST VIVI.

Note: This guy only has 3950HP. Vivi just one shot this god drat thing.

SAND NOISES

But how can this be? I heard that Your Highness disappeared upon leaving Burmecia...

Well, let us go at once to the cathedral to inform His Majesty!
My old man, huh?

Later!

He's the first friend I ever had.

So that's Prince Puck.

-----

As mischievous as ever, Your Majesty.
I haven't seen him in ages.
I heard His Highness left Burmecia one month after me. That makes it three years.
And yet both you and Puck decided to return to me in this time of danger.

Surely no enemy of ours would attack with the powerful storm protecting Cleyra. And with the help of a dragon knight like you, the storm should grow even more powerful.
Ah, the ceremony from the time when Burmecia and Cleyra were one. I understand.

And I will not allow Brahne to exert her will upon us any longer!

I didn't think you were so strong when I first met you.
I could not bring peace to Burmecia and thus fulfill Sir Fratley's wish.

Yeah, protecting Cleyra is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Doing so will help me.

Freya's only 21, so it's not too surprising she's grown up quite a bit in the three years since she left Burmecia. She feels guilt for abandoning her nation, but the crises at hand have given her a sense of duty and patriotism, determination to protect her people no matter what stands in her way.

This is why Freya is going to riverdance with a bunch of scantily-clad rat women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-PZQ_VusvM

First off, here's the music if you're interested.

Second off...what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXhjpmpfUsc

And just like that, Cleyra now stands exposed.

What happened...?
I don't know...
I have never witnessed anything like this since we settled here.

Since ancient times, we have used the power of the stone to control the sandstorm.
Perhaps someone is trying to invade Cleyra.
I fear that you may be right, my lord.

And with that, it's Steiner time.

-----

DESOLATE WINDY SILENCE

Zorn and Thorn will never get away with this!

No one asked you to meddle in our affairs!
It's pretty sad, gettin' backstabbed by your own queen.
This is all some kind of a mistake! I know the queen. She would never betray me!
Wishful thinking. Who knows what she's gonna do to the princess...

-----

Why did she attack Burmecia? And why did she arrest us like this?

She hasn't been herself lately... Actually, she's been acting rather strange since my birthday last year.

Maybe he had something to do with it.

Doctor Tot left Alexandria shortly afterwards, too.

Queen Brahne summons you.
Come with us.
What!?

Quiet!
With us, you are coming, and that is that!

Nice try.

-----

For so long, the queen has waited.

Mother...
Darling, there you are. Where were you? I've been worried sick. Here, come closer.

What is it, darling? I will tell you anything you wish to know.

Oh... Well, no wonder you look so concerned. That is far from the truth, Garnet.

I couldn't just wait for them to attack and destroy our precious kingdom. So, I had no choice but to take initiative.

Of course.

Dagger's grown up a lot since she's left Alexandria, but even if she didn't she's clearly sharp enough to know this isn't the truth. Something much bigger is going on here.

Oh, darling, what's wrong? Why wouldn't you believe your mother?

Act?
Yes, an act from a beautiful play...

Overcome by grief, the princess must sleep for a hundred years...
You... I've seen you before...

I will take you to a world of dreams.

Hmph, impudent little girl.

-----

This...can't be good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Freya being 'just' 21 is a bit surprising. On the other hand, Zidane and Garnet are only 16, so the last time Freya and Zidane met she was only 18 and he just 13.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Odin gonna get his Zantetsukan on :black101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dammit, Freya, you missed a step. :argh:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
My OCD acts up anytime I see the river dancing since she isn't dressed like the other 4 rat girls. Stupid I know.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mateo360 posted:

My OCD acts up anytime I see the river dancing since she isn't dressed like the other 4 rat girls. Stupid I know.

It wouldn't be so bad if they put her in the middle....

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I also have piano notes for Eternal Harvest. It's great fun playing the triplets, but the middle part with less melody kills me. It's really hard. Treno is far more mellow and a lot more fun overall. In general, though, I just don't practice enough.

Eternal Harvest itself is one of my absolute favourites from the game, though, short as it is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cleyra's just... coincidentally unprotected, huh? I mean, I kind of get that it's a bad omen, but in the event of a bad omen don't you want your mysterious forcefield to be locked in the "on" position rather than the "off" one?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My theory is that the rat riverdance was so strange and terrible that Cleyra gave up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My theory is that the costumes they wear are actually an important part of the ritual but that got forgotten over time and everybody thinks the traditional garb is just symbolic.

So when Freya tries it in her Dragoon/Knight getup the whole thing goes oglop shaped.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Freya never invested enough skill points into Dancer abilities and now she's paying the price.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Wake up, people! Cleyra was an inside job! Riverdancing can't snap magic harp strings!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Cid is manipulating us with claims that Brahne has WMD's. If you look carefully at the stitching of the Black Mage's robes with a magnifying glass, they clearly form the shape of the seal of Lindblum

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Cid is manipulating us with claims that Brahne has WMD's. If you look carefully at the stitching of the Black Mage's robes with a magnifying glass, they clearly form the shape of the seal of Lindblum

Don't listen to Fabool's lies!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You see, the world is run by an Illuminati of oglop people...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I swear the Cleyran dance music was used in an Olympic Synchronised Swimming routine one time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I swear the Cleyran dance music was used in an Olympic Synchronised Swimming routine one time.

Loads of musical scores from Japanese games and animation were used in the Olympics in Beijing, so it was probably then.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bufuman posted:

Don't listen to Fabool's lies!

We have always been at war with Alexandria

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Just like Burmecia. And look what happened to Burmecia.

Why else would Lindblum have all those airships if they weren't going to USE them!?

My pet theory on the sandstorm going AWOL is that the dance was way too successful and in fact burned it out. Too much dance power. And Kuja knew this. (I really like the Cleyran dance, it's a lot of character and is a microcosm of the stage subtlety going on throughout the game.)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I'm pretty sure Kuja is the one responsible for dispelling the sandstorm. Remember Brahne asking him to do something about it back in Burmecia? And according to Squaresoft Power Rankings, Mystical Prettyboy Power is higher up on the hierarchy than The Power of Dance.

EDIT: Wait, we were still joking about this. poo poo. I blame being distracted by work while I was replying to this. Also I'm tired. Must get this back on the joke track. Um... Baku was secretly responsible!

EDIT2:

Squarely Circle posted:

There's no way Kuja doesn't also have The Power of Dance

Given his fighting style in Dissidia, you may have a point.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 7, 2016

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Bufuman posted:

I'm pretty sure Kuja is the one responsible for dispelling the sandstorm. Remember Brahne asking him to do something about it back in Burmecia? And according to Squaresoft Power Rankings, Mystical Prettyboy Power is higher up on the hierarchy than The Power of Dance.

There's no way Kuja doesn't also have The Power of Dance

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

My theory is that the Cleyran playing the harp forgot to trim her nails.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
It's because the party messed up the ceremonial sacrifice of a firstborn son to the antlion,.voiding the blood pact between rats and sand monsters. Do you think it was a coincidence that Puck shows up here or that they have a special place in their village reserved for an abomination. They might dress up, play the harp and do a little dance to fool the party but that kind of magic power only comes to those versed in the dark arts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why'd they kill the Antlion anyway? It had already released Puck by the time they started fighting.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The party feared for their lives

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why'd they kill the Antlion anyway? It had already released Puck by the time they started fighting.

The team decided to press assault charges. Then they elected to, shall we say, settle out of court.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
EDIT: Yeah, given recent events, this was in even worse taste.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 8, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because like any good party of adventurers, they want the EXP.

(Please disregard the fact that bosses in FFIX don't give EXP)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo, your avatar. :allears: Steiner strikes me as closer to Kronk though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

AlphaKretin posted:

Holy poo poo, your avatar. :allears: Steiner strikes me as closer to Kronk though.

Are there any Kronk shots as memetic as Pacha's there, though? He is RIDICULOUSLY photogenic but I don't think any images of him are quite that well-known.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Bufuman posted:

Are there any Kronk shots as memetic as Pacha's there, though? He is RIDICULOUSLY photogenic but I don't think any images of him are quite that well-known.

You got me. By all accounts, it doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Wait, I have an idea now! Take this one (sorry for the tiny image, can't find a better one at the moment), turn Kuzco into Zidane, and label the cookie as "duty" or something.

EDIT: Actually Brahne or even Garnet might work better, though of course it'd be more work to edit. Not to mention I can see Zidane doing this more than either of those two.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 9, 2016

• Locked thread