Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Solitair posted:

I'd say The Terror is actually pretty good, but that's because Islam isn't in it.
Isn't Islam technically also not in Olympos, aside from the indestructible murder robots somehow based on the Voynich Manuscript that Muslims built to kill all the Jews that now think the entire human race is descended from Jewish stock?

(This is not exaggeration. Don't read those books. They're really bad. The protagonist uses technology to disguise himself as Paris and have sex with Helen of Troy. And she can tell it's not her husband because it's bad sex.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't Islam technically also not in Olympos, aside from the indestructible murder robots somehow based on the Voynich Manuscript that Muslims built to kill all the Jews that now think the entire human race is descended from Jewish stock?

(This is not exaggeration. Don't read those books. They're really bad. The protagonist uses technology to disguise himself as Paris and have sex with Helen of Troy. And she can tell it's not her husband because it's bad sex.)

This strikes me as splitting hairs, and not really disproving my point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
They're not Muslim robots :colbert:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So I wrapped up Ubik this week and while I like PKD's writing, I hated the ending and his abandoning of a well maintained internal logic. I'm thinking about picking up Flow My Tears, but was wondering if there was a better next one for me, taking into account my frustration with Ubik. Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Without sounding like a snob, what's the most widely acclaimed and well-received (by the general non-fantasy reading public and/or literary critics) fantasy series after A Song of Ice and Fire and Book of the New Sun? Is there one? Back when I was trying to get back into reading fantasy those were the two that seemed to have general consensus as the best the genre had to offer.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Harry Potter...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you go for bestsellers, there's always the Kingkiller books. Spoiler: they're horrible.
I honestly don't think the fantasy fanbase can even agree on the two you posted as good. (GRRM sucks at writing anything that's longer than fifty pages)
If you want to try fairly modern series with dedicated fanbases, Brandon Sanderson, Steven Erikson and Joe Abecrombie could fit the bill. They're pretty different from one another and I don't think I've met anyone who liked them all, it's very much an either/or thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

freebooter posted:

Without sounding like a snob, what's the most widely acclaimed and well-received (by the general non-fantasy reading public and/or literary critics) fantasy series after A Song of Ice and Fire and Book of the New Sun? Is there one? Back when I was trying to get back into reading fantasy those were the two that seemed to have general consensus as the best the genre had to offer.

Earthsea, probably. It's gorgeously written.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

freebooter posted:

Bridge of Birds.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

General Battuta posted:

Earthsea, probably. It's gorgeously written.

navyjack posted:

Bridge of Birds.

I would have gone with either of those, or Guy Kavriel Kay's loose trilogy of The Lions of Al-Rassan, The Last Light of the Sun and The Sarantine Mosaic. And if you're okay with standalone novels as well as series, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell received equal amounts of acclaim from both fantasy and non-fantasy fans.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're specifically looking for stuff the non-genre world likes and reviews well, Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deptfordx posted:

The thing that most got me was how Mo avoided the most massive media feeding frenzy since Diana died by simply checking into a hotel for a few days. After which the British media and especially the tabloid press apparently gave up all interest.

This only shows up kind of in passing, but Mo now has the minor superpower, and eventual Krantzberg-inducer, of being forgettable and ignorable. :v:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

John Crowley's Aegypt quartet, and Little, Big. Also Earthsea. Rikki Ducornet's elements series. Jack Vance's Dying Earth stories.

E: I'm a fool for forgetting Gormenghast!

vv I first read The Book of the New Sun when I was a kid. Even if you don't put too much effort into trying to work it out, and are a child, it's still a pleasure to read, if occassionally baffling. Trying to work out what's happening and why (and why Wolfe's writing it) can go much deeper and more difficult.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 6, 2016

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

How, uh, "difficult" is Book of the New Sun? I'm bad at challenging literature, and I've heard Wolfe can be, well, difficult.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

A Proper Uppercut posted:

How, uh, "difficult" is Book of the New Sun? I'm bad at challenging literature, and I've heard Wolfe can be, well, difficult.

it depends what you want out of it honestly, you can read it straight through as a baroque dying earth future fantasy and have a blast without really engaging with it at all. It really rewards deeper reading and multiple reads though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

freebooter posted:

Oh man, I loved Zelazny's New Sun books.

I have it on good authority that GRRM's Wildcards series is pretty amazing and popular.
:toot::getin::fiesta:

I don't know about relative popularity, but Glen Cook's Black Company has always seemed widely recognized. It's pretty solid, I guess.

Peake's Ghormenghast was pretty unique and enjoyable. It was a big jolt reading it, as I was used to D&D fantasy for the most part until then.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen are in my opinion one of the best fantasy epic series that exists, in terms of everything an epic series is defined by - juggling characters, writing, world-building whatever the gently caress else...good story. It's fantastic. It's not as challenging a read as Zelazny's Urth stuff, but was challenging enough that people complained regularly and called it too confusing.

David Eddings' Belgariad series was hugely popular when it was out, and when I was a teenager I loved them. For some reason I prefer his Sparhawk series these days, but I haven't read either one in maybe twelve years.

I suppose you have to mention Terry Brooks' Shannara books, but you grow out of them. At the time they were insanely popular.

Raymond Feist had his Magician/Riftwar series - which was blown out of the water by the series' sequel series, the Empire Trilogy. All quite fun, though.

Bridge of Birds and its successors SHOULD have been much more widely popular than they were, but god drat they are amazingly written and fantastic.

Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is REALLY good, starting with the Golden Compass. - it was popular enough to have a big screen movie (that was absolute poo poo) made from it, too.

Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I'd list up as being insanely popular - back in the day - the same with L'engle's Wrinkle in Time series. I'd say their popularity ebbs and flows such that they're still somewhat relevant.

Pratchett's Discworld series is right up there among my favorites alongside Malazan. Completely different, though. Hugely popular fantasy series.

Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy Trilogy has always been known to people I meet, and I'm not that big of a nerd. Really good books.

Stephen King's Gunslinger series is probably among the most popular ever I would imagine.

Comedy Terry Goodkind mention. lovely terrible terrible trash once you're past your 'teens. I'd say the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is the same. Maybe even Game of Thrones. I read all three at around the same time in early highschool. Wouldn't recommend any of them.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 6, 2016

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

freebooter posted:

While not exactly widely read among the general public, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is up there among the best literary-fantasy, and Stephen Donaldson's The Gap Cycle is likewise for literary-SF.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Corvinus posted:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

My uncle gave these to me when I was a tween, but I couldn't get past the attempted rape by the main character near the beginning of the first one. Does it get better from there?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Klungar posted:

My uncle gave these to me when I was a tween, but I couldn't get past the attempted rape by the main character near the beginning of the first one. Does it get better from there?

It depends on your definition of better honestly. Donaldson does not write happy books. However, the event in your spoiler tag is treated exactly as what it is for the rest of the series.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

freebooter posted:

If you want Literary fantasy here are a few suggestions (beyond this anything published by the Fantasy Masterworks imprint is a good starting point):

Anything by John Crowley, but especially Little, Big (one of Harold Bloom's faves) and Aegypt.

Most things by Lucius Shepard, but especially The Dragon Griaule (reflections on the creative process with a GIANT DRAGON).

The Vergil Magus, Pellegrine and Limekiller Series by Avram Davidson, dense and allusive fantasy.

People LOVE The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

Virconium by M. John Harris is widely respected.

The Neveryon series by Samuel Delany, post-modernist/structuralist philosophy/the aids crisis filtered through a sword and sorcery setting.

Also read Bridge of Birds.

Drifter posted:

I have it on good authority that GRRM's Wildcards series is pretty amazing and popular. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH
:toot::getin::fiesta:

I don't know about relative popularity, but Glen Cook's Black Company has always seemed widely recognized. It's pretty solid, I guess. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

Peake's Ghormenghast was pretty unique and enjoyable. It was a big jolt reading it, as I was used to D&D fantasy for the most part until then.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen are in my opinion one of the best fantasy epic series that exists, in terms of everything an epic series is defined by - juggling characters, writing, world-building whatever the gently caress else...good story. It's fantastic. It's not as challenging a read as Zelazny's Urth stuff, but was challenging enough that people complained regularly and called it too confusing. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

David Eddings' Belgariad series was hugely popular when it was out, and when I was a teenager I loved them. For some reason I prefer his Sparhawk series these days, but I haven't read either one in maybe twelve years. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

I suppose you have to mention Terry Brooks' Shannara books, but you grow out of them. At the time they were insanely popular. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

Raymond Feist had his Magician/Riftwar series - which was blown out of the water by the series' sequel series, the Empire Trilogy. All quite fun, though. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

Bridge of Birds and its successors SHOULD have been much more widely popular than they were, but god drat they are amazingly written and fantastic.

Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is REALLY good, starting with the Golden Compass. - it was popular enough to have a big screen movie (that was absolute poo poo) made from it, too. WARNING: LITERALLY FOR CHILDREN

Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I'd list up as being insanely popular - back in the day - the same with L'engle's Wrinkle in Time series. I'd say their popularity ebbs and flows such that they're still somewhat relevant. WARNING: LITERALLY FOR CHILDREN

Pratchett's Discworld series is right up there among my favorites alongside Malazan. Completely different, though. Hugely popular fantasy series. WARNING: LITERALLY FOR CHILDREN

Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy Trilogy has always been known to people I meet, and I'm not that big of a nerd. Really good books. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

Stephen King's Gunslinger series is probably among the most popular ever I would imagine. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

Comedy Terry Goodkind mention. lovely terrible terrible trash once you're past your 'teens. I'd say the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is the same. Maybe even Game of Thrones. I read all three at around the same time in early highschool. Wouldn't recommend any of them. WARNING: FANTASY FAN TRASH

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

The first two books are some of my favorites. The third is not fantasy and also not good. Read it at your own risk.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

fez_machine posted:

If you want Literary fantasy here are a few suggestions (beyond this anything published by the Fantasy Masterworks imprint is a good starting point):

Anything by John Crowley, but especially Little, Big (one of Harold Bloom's faves) and Aegypt.

Most things by Lucius Shepard, but especially The Dragon Griaule (reflections on the creative process with a GIANT DRAGON).

The Vergil Magus, Pellegrine and Limekiller Series by Avram Davidson, dense and allusive fantasy.

The Neveryon series by Samuel Delany, post-modernist/structuralist philosophy/the aids crisis filtered through a sword and sorcery setting.

Writing off Pratchett's Discworld as being "for children" puts into doubt your taste in good books.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ I don't believe I've ever read the third of Ghormenghast, but I know I read the first in a high school class. Good to know I can skip it. There are so many other books to read.

fez_machine posted:

It's pretty funny and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really don't like The Last Unicorn. However, Peter Beagle is one of my favorite short story authors in the whole world. :allears:

:saddowns: Oh...oh fez_machine, you poor thing.

Also, if we're just throwing out recc's, Guy Kay's Tigana and Sarantine were super good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 6, 2016

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mars4523 posted:

Writing off Pratchett's Discworld as being "for children" puts into doubt your taste in good books.

They are both good and for children. I love the Night Watch and read it every year, it's easily Terry Pratchett's best book.

But good is not great, and the original question was for Fantasy's best.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Terry Pratchett, while certainly not Literary Fantasy, is not Literally For Children. :colbert:

(well okay, with some pretty obvious exceptions)

Efb

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Drifter posted:

Unless I'm missing something due to not being familiar with Zelazny, I'm pretty sure this is a misattrubution. The Book of the New Sun was written by Gene Wolfe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Terry Pratchett, while certainly not Literary Fantasy, is not Literally For Children. :colbert:

(well okay, with some pretty obvious exceptions)

Efb

They play very heavily to the adolescent crowd, and anyone under the age of 18 is literally a child.

They're good entertainment but up against the best of non-genre fiction (certainly the series beats many thriller, sci-fi, and crime/mystery novels),the Discworld series doesn't rank.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 6, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

freebooter posted:

If you're looking for something that a large majority of hardcore fantasy fans love and is actually a very good read than the top one is probably Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and the following stand alone novels that serve as sequels to it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

fez_machine posted:

But good is not great, and the original question was for Fantasy's best.

Actually the original question is muddled because it lists qualities that are, generally speaking, mutually exclusive. You're not going to have a book that is widely-read by the non-sci-fi/fantasy crowd that is also critically acclaimed. By way of a (sci-fi) example, The Martian is probably the most widely-read sci-fi book of the last five or ten years, but no one considers it a masterpiece of the genre.

The answer to the widely-read question is Harry Potter; nothing else even comes remotely close.

The answer to the critically-acclaimed question is more nuanced, but your list is an excellent starting point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nightchild12 posted:

Unless I'm missing something due to not being familiar with Zelazny, I'm pretty sure this is a misattrubution. The Book of the New Sun was written by Gene Wolfe.

Haha, good catch. You're right, a misattribution on my end. However, on the topic of Zelazny, while I did not enjoy the first Amber Prince book, Lords of Light and This Immortal were quite good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

savinhill posted:

If you're looking for something that a large majority of hardcore fantasy fans love and is actually a very good read than the top one is probably Joe Abercrombie's First Law series and the following stand alone novels that serve as sequels to it.

I got in with Best Served Cold, aka Quite Low Fantasy Count Of Monte Cristo Knockoff. :v:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

freebooter posted:

This would Terry Pratchett's Discworld. It's not high brow, but is an excellent satrical body of work with a large number of highly memorable characters. Other series might get lots of press in the fantasy press circuit, but only Sir Terry gets love from the mainstream press along he lines of "This is why I read".

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Zelazny pro read list: Lord of Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Isle of the Dead, This Immortal, The Doors of His Face The Lamps of His Mouth, then maybe Amber 1-5 if you want to keep going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mars4523 posted:

This would be Terry Pratchett's Discworld. It's not high brow, but is an excellent satrical body of work with a large number of highly memorable characters. Other series might get lots of press in the fantasy press circuit, but only Sir Terry gets got love from the mainstream press along the lines of "This is why I read".

:smith:

I started discworld with Small Gods. It was great. Started from the beginning and enjoyed every single one of them.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 6, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So, edging away from "literary" fantasy, can anyone say whether The Dinosaur Knights by Victor Milan is any less embarrassing than his first book?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fez_machine posted:

They play very heavily to the adolescent crowd, and anyone under the age of 18 is literally a child.

They're good entertainment but up against the best of non-genre fiction (certainly the series beats many thriller, sci-fi, and crime/mystery novels),the Discworld series doesn't rank.

I think the comparisons between Pratchett and Wodehouse are really apt. Nobody ever claimed Wodehouse was James Joyce, but it takes a lot of skill to consistently turn out stuff that sharp and funny.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the comparisons between Pratchett and Wodehouse are really apt. Nobody ever claimed Wodehouse was James Joyce, but it takes a lot of skill to consistently turn out stuff that sharp and funny.

There are a lot of highfalutin' cultural critics that have a blind spot in terms of comedy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Solitair posted:

There are a lot of highfalutin' cultural critics that have a blind spot in terms of comedy.

The problem is comedy in general isn't retained in cultural memory. Name five comedy focused authors off the top of your head between 1900 1970 or even 1990.

I would guess few people in this thread have read Robert Sheckley, John Sladek or William Tenn.

Critics tend to respect a drier, finer crafted humor, for example Jane Austen is very funny, one of her virtues that most critics agree on.

I like Pratchett, a lot, but his work tends to be very rooted in various adolescent concerns, there's a reason why many of his protagonists are teenagers or in their early twenties. There are protagonists who are much older, like Weatherwax or Vimes, but the prime emotional movers tend to be young. It's only rarely that we get novels like Reaper Man and Night Watch where the concerns of adults come to foreground.

Plus Pratchett was prolific enough that there's a good amount of sloppiness in his craft. Overall, Discworld is one greatest fantasy series ever, it's enormously satisfying to read but it doesn't quite reach that other level.

P.G Wodehouse, in comparison, does one thing and does it to perfection, there's considerable literary pleasure in watching the clockwork of his characters and plots spin up and then release. His consistency is the quality that puts him over Pratchett.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmm 'best' is kind of subjective, so subjectively Terry Pratchett is actually the best ever fantasy author that's my take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Hmm 'best' is kind of subjective, so subjectively Terry Pratchett is actually the best ever fantasy author that's my take.

I guess because all taste is subjective there's no point listening to other people at all nor voicing our opinions. There's absolutely nothing shared or in common between anybody or any piece of fiction, it's all subjective. Nothing can be compared because we are physically incapable of experiencing another person's subjectivity.

theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you loving moron

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 6, 2016