Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Too busy making Destors perfect to balance anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

rkajdi posted:

Mercs are way easier to play now, since contracts are gone. The only things that mix poorly right now are Cephalyx, who need to be in their theme to be used, and this theme excludes most other merc stuff (2 units of normal mercs can be taken with a Cephalyx attachment) You also can't use Rulic jacks on a non-Rulic caster and vice versa. Otherwise, the field is wide open right now. You have lost theme lists (Bad Seeds) for the moment, but that is coming back in the near future in the theme books.

My local hobby shop is dumping their MKII battle boxes for $20 today. It's obviously worthwhile for my wife's circle ($20 gets you a Feral & Kaya) but I'm not sure if $20 is worth it for the old Ret one to get another standard chassis heavy. Does anyone online sell bits for Warmachine, in specific the Ret heavy kit? If I can get a dual Manticore/Hydra for $20 that seems worthwhile even if I don't need Kaelyssa or the lights.

drat son. I wish there was something like that over there. Best I have is wayland for about 30e plus shipping. :negative:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Just an FYI, the kd + gang etc ruling is being reviewed further.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Spiderdrake posted:

Too busy making Destors perfect to balance anything else.

Nailed it.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

rantmo posted:

This is probably too open-ended a question, but how do you all approach the use of minimum units when list building? Given the increased focus on 'jacks/beasts in MKIII I feel like I need to think more seriously about it but it also feels like it's even more important for units to be at full strength so that they can really have a meaningful board presence. I don't own a ton of infantry yet, so it's largely academic right now but something I feel like I need to start really thinking about, especially focusing on Cygnar as I have been.

I main Cygnar, so I can only speak about Cygnar and MercNar.

When I'm looking at taking a min unit or a max unit, I usually ask myself what I'm using them for.

If it's a cheap throw away unit that I'll use to tie down enemy models (Sword Knights, Steel Head Spears, Press Gangers, etc.), or a unit that has a very specific purpose (Blazers, Long Gunners, Mechanics, etc.) then I usually bring a min unit of them. In most situations, they are being brought as a minimum to shore up a weakness in my list, or as an answer to something that I might face. A perfect example is how I almost always bring a minimum unit of Blazers with Siege. The Blazers are there because they can harass the flank of my enemy, as well as be absolutely disgusting with brutal shots on feat turn. However, what does the real work in my Siege list is Siege and the Stormwall I bring with him. The other stuff is just in case.

For a maximum unit, you should be bringing them because they are absolutely vital to your winning strategy. Storm Lances with Maddox is a good example of this. There is almost no reason to bring a minimum unit of Storm Lances with Maddox. Either bring them all, or bring none of them; there isn't much of an in between. Also, when you bring that max unit, almost everything else in the army should be helping support that unit in what it does. If I'm dropping Storm Lances, then I'm also dropping Laddermore, Storm Blade Captain, one or two Stormclads, and one or two Fireflys.

Overall though, I feel the game is moving very far away from infantry heavy lists. It's no longer a game where you bring poo poo tons of infantry and one or two jacks that, "Do a thing." Now, I feel the game relies heavily upon warbots supporting infantry supporting warbots. If you go too heavy one way or the other (except for a few casters), the game feels really awkward. The game really wants you to go heavy on the jacks, and rewards you for it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i'm working on putting together my carrying case, what depth of pluck foam do i need for various base sizes? it's like 1.5" for 30mm, 2" for 40, 2.5 for 50mm right?

edit also where's the cheapest place to get it from? sabol's shippin is rough

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just thought about Helga putting Defender's Ward on Skarath, and now my erection won't go away. A 16/19 no knockdown on a 2" reach heavy with a 10" gunfighter spray with additional dice to hit seems really drat sexy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

I just thought about Helga putting Defender's Ward on Skarath, and now my erection won't go away. A 16/19 no knockdown on a 2" reach heavy with a 10" gunfighter spray with additional dice to hit seems really drat sexy.

Why can't you just play for fun you terrible person

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I think I got a new player in our local meta, but it took everything short of me just saying "you win!" to pull it off. I don't know if the Trolls battle box is that bad but holy poo poo, the poor guy had like terrible rolls for damage. I have never had a Gladiator tank a battle group, and I have never had to try so hard to throw a game, even non WMH. It seriously wasn't even the players fault.

The guy picked the game up pretty darn fast and I saw him talking to the store owner about buying a unknown army box.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

waah posted:

So I think I got a new player in our local meta, but it took everything short of me just saying "you win!" to pull it off. I don't know if the Trolls battle box is that bad but holy poo poo, the poor guy had like terrible rolls for damage. I have never had a Gladiator tank a battle group.

The guy picked the game up pretty darn fast and I saw him talking to the store owner about buying a unknown army box.

It really is that bad. I cannot understand how PP thought that BB is still OK. I mean, it never was.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

S.J. posted:

One side of that sounds like a blast.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

I'm a power-gamer, obviously. That's why I play pigs.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

rydiafan posted:

I'm a power-gamer, obviously. That's why I play pigs.

Also power-gaming Will IRL with a hundred Bart hats :madmax:

(That was you, right?)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It was. It's yet another reason I'm his favorite judge.

I have one list for real favorite and one list for ironic "favorite".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Khisanth Magus posted:

It really is that bad. I cannot understand how PP thought that BB is still OK. I mean, it never was.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE

The only time anyone can ever be happy playing warmachine is if your opponent is literally shaking with anger, which is impossible to achieve with the trollblood battlebox, so I'm calling your bluff!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Played a game tonight against one of the better players in our area, who I've had lots of close games with in the past. He had Old witch with behemoth, winterguard infantry, joe, eiryss1, alton ashley, Gormon, Rheinholt, another couple solos, some khador mage guys, sharpshooters + sharpshooters solo...and I think that was pretty much it?

I played what I'm calling "What I threw together using the models I own" Helynna list:

Helynna
-Manticore
-Chimera
-Banshee
-Imperatus
Sentinels + UA + Soulless
Scyir
3x Arcanists
Eiryss2

Game got off to a decent start, despite it being yet another game against models that just murder my sentinels without caring about their armor. First round just consisted of me running forward, him moving up a bit and killing some sentinels with his snipers and shooting my jacks to not much good with behemoth(deceleration is good!). He had moved some stuff a bit too far forward, not taking full advantage of premeasuring, and my sentinels were able to charge Eiryss and the sniper solo, killing both, and running another to engage 3 of the sharpshooters. I was able to run the chimera forward to arc and devestation onto alton ashley, missing but killing him with the blast damage. Hurt Gormon and Rheinholt with it, but didn't kill either. I knocked behemoth down with the banshee and then disrupted it with Eiryss, meaning he couldn't shake the knockdown.

Old witch came up and killed a bunch of sentinels, freeing up the sharpshooters to finish off all but the UA and Scyir. He made a mistake during his maintanance phase and apparitioned behemoth slightly forward, then during its activation sacrificed movement and just shot a couple times at my jacks, again not doing much. He did a bunch of damage to the chimera and took out its generator and arc node with shooting from his winterguard and a solo. He also feated.

I feated and arced hand of destruction through the now functional chimera onto behemoth, as he accidently put him in charge range of the Banshee. Concentrated power then charge. Could only get my main sword to him, but exactly scrapped him. Imperatus killed a rocketeer to set 5 winterguard on fire with flame burst. Manticore just killed 3 winterguard. At this point he was pretty much on the ropes. And then I made a fatal mistake and used rhythm of war to move my warjacks up further, which also ended up spreading them out more. I provided just enough of a hole for scrapjack to run through and just get close enough that old witch could teleport close enough to my caster to be able to attack. He needed 7s to hit, and missed his first 2, so he started boosting to hit, and only killed me due to a couple real good damage rolls.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
FFE on Trencher cannon just annihilates heavies.

Plus Long Gunners are good now. I did lose via scenario but that's because I over thought things instead of just going in guns blazing with Caine 2.

Also the Trench Buster getting flank off of the cannon will never get old.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well bugger, I just picked up that battle box the other day and am already assembling my little troll dudes. What would be the best was of giving it some oomph?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Khisanth Magus posted:

Played a game tonight against one of the better players in our area, who I've had lots of close games with in the past. He had Old witch with behemoth, winterguard infantry, joe, eiryss1, alton ashley, Gormon, Rheinholt, another couple solos, some khador mage guys, sharpshooters + sharpshooters solo...and I think that was pretty much it?

I played what I'm calling "What I threw together using the models I own" Helynna list:

Helynna
-Manticore
-Chimera
-Banshee
-Imperatus
Sentinels + UA + Soulless
Scyir
3x Arcanists
Eiryss2

Game got off to a decent start, despite it being yet another game against models that just murder my sentinels without caring about their armor. First round just consisted of me running forward, him moving up a bit and killing some sentinels with his snipers and shooting my jacks to not much good with behemoth(deceleration is good!). He had moved some stuff a bit too far forward, not taking full advantage of premeasuring, and my sentinels were able to charge Eiryss and the sniper solo, killing both, and running another to engage 3 of the sharpshooters. I was able to run the chimera forward to arc and devestation onto alton ashley, missing but killing him with the blast damage. Hurt Gormon and Rheinholt with it, but didn't kill either. I knocked behemoth down with the banshee and then disrupted it with Eiryss, meaning he couldn't shake the knockdown.

Old witch came up and killed a bunch of sentinels, freeing up the sharpshooters to finish off all but the UA and Scyir. He made a mistake during his maintanance phase and apparitioned behemoth slightly forward, then during its activation sacrificed movement and just shot a couple times at my jacks, again not doing much. He did a bunch of damage to the chimera and took out its generator and arc node with shooting from his winterguard and a solo. He also feated.

I feated and arced hand of destruction through the now functional chimera onto behemoth, as he accidently put him in charge range of the Banshee. Concentrated power then charge. Could only get my main sword to him, but exactly scrapped him. Imperatus killed a rocketeer to set 5 winterguard on fire with flame burst. Manticore just killed 3 winterguard. At this point he was pretty much on the ropes. And then I made a fatal mistake and used rhythm of war to move my warjacks up further, which also ended up spreading them out more. I provided just enough of a hole for scrapjack to run through and just get close enough that old witch could teleport close enough to my caster to be able to attack. He needed 7s to hit, and missed his first 2, so he started boosting to hit, and only killed me due to a couple real good damage rolls.

Nice report.

Ive only got one game in with Helyanna and was facing Cygnar with a fair amount of guns. I put Deflection up on first 2 turns and Feated second turn (I was first player). Armour 25 Sentinels take some killing. I think he took 1 out ( which was perfect to trigger Vengeance) before they clattered into his gun line.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Flavivirus posted:

Well bugger, I just picked up that battle box the other day and am already assembling my little troll dudes. What would be the best was of giving it some oomph?

Dire troll mauler. Preferably the awesome old metal sculpt.

+3 strength along with the Casters +2 is a huge swing and will let you trade lights for heavies.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

What's the consensus over the circle and Skorne one? And the Cygnar one? Asking for a friend.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
the problem with the original battleboxes now is the double lights that come in them. You will rarely or never use 2 Savages, Impalers or Argii (Skorne/Trollbloods/Circle). In fact with MK 3 there is a good chance you will not use 1 of them, with the exception of the Argus (just saw Doppler Bark is now just on/off). The Cygnar one is pretty good by comparison, as Stryker in all of his incarnations is pretty badass. The jacks are all good and while you may not use them in every list they will see table time. The heavy can also very easily be magnetized with extra bits from other kits. Keep in mind that the cost of the battlebox nets you a free model and then some unless prices have changed (try adding it all up).

TLDR: Cygnar and Circle box are fine, Skorne and Trollbloods not really.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Iceclaw posted:

What's the consensus over the circle and Skorne one? And the Cygnar one? Asking for a friend.
Circle one is legit. Scything Touch and Primal mean even the Argus can be a threat. It's mostly about not giving the wolf away too easily, which Tanith has good tools for.
Kozlov is a problem, though. His ability to hand out Pathfinder, Steady and a SPD buff make him hard to deal with.

Oh, and don't try too hard to use Tanith's gun imo. Playing her forward is risky.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Crazy Ferret posted:

Just to chime in as well since Ashlynn has always been a personal favorite. She more or less stayed the same, gaining 1inch reach on her sword but losing Quick Draw, and the exact same spell list/feat. She is really waiting for a new Merc Solo I think to be competitive. A character named Major Harrison Gibbs who will give all Llaelese models within CMD7 inches of him Feign Death and Reposition 3, as well as once per game Heal All Boxes in 7inchs. Feign Death with Ashlynn think will really help one of the easiest ways to kill her, and Reposistion 3 is just icing on the cake.

The rest of Mercs just got better in general. Our jacks are cheap and hit harder than ever. Most solos got nice buffs, especially the snipers, and the units are a bit more interesting with some exceptions. Right now we cannot take ATGM cause Themes are not out, but they provided us with Thorn Gun Mages which are Llael specific gun mages. They are very legit with a ROF 2 POW 10 gun with an Star Ability called Both Barrel that lets you make one attack at +4 Damage. They have Black Penny, Thunderbolt and Incendiary Rune Shots, so you basically light a whole bunch of infantry on fire with them

Mercs are great now! I posted some Battle Reports a few pages ago with Epic Magnus and Bartolo, each using 5+ Warjacks in each list, if you want an idea how efficient our Warjacks got. Good to see you back in the thread. I will try to get some Ashlynn games in, with a proxy Gibbs, to see how Ashlynn made out.

Thanks for weighing in! I was always into Llael so it's cool to hear they got their own gun mages at last. Not Amethyst Rose, though?

Did they do anything to help out some of the weaker solo/units that never got to the table? Like Blythe and Bull or Rutger & Taryn?

Devil Dogs get any love?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone got an opinion on this?
War Room Army

Khador - Strakhov's Skirmishers

Theme: No Theme Selected
35 / 35 Army

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
- Decimator - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)

Iron Fang Kovnik - PC: 4

Assault Kommandos - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
Iron Fang Pikemen - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
- Iron Fang Pikemen Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4
Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8

---

GENERATED : 07/06/2016 15:55:32
BUILD ID : 2021.16-06-25

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Anyone got an opinion on this?
War Room Army

Khador - Strakhov's Skirmishers

Theme: No Theme Selected
35 / 35 Army

Kommander Oleg Strakhov - WJ: +28
- Decimator - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Juggernaut - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)

Iron Fang Kovnik - PC: 4

Assault Kommandos - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
Iron Fang Pikemen - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
- Iron Fang Pikemen Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4
Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8

---

GENERATED : 07/06/2016 15:55:32
BUILD ID : 2021.16-06-25

Assuming this is limited to a BB type thing based on the warjacks...

At 35 pts it seems solid. Why that particular IFP module though? At that point slot I would think min BDIFP offers the exact same toolkit with Strakhov, minus Defensive Formation. Even if you put in their UA you're still knocking 3pts off the total package, plus you get the no knockdown *and* no stationary for a minifeat.
Also, flamethrowers are good with Strakhov, I'd recommend giving them a shot. Rat 7 continuous fire sprays aren't just a menoth thing anymore.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Because I just impulse purchased the Kovnik, and I have yet to decide how to paint my IF for July's Oath.
Thanks for your advices!
E: re the Warjacks, I also own another Juggernaut, Destroyer, Spriggan, and Beast 09.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 6, 2016

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Unsupported, I'd lean towards the Destroyer over the Decimator. I like the Decimator and plan to run it regularly, but in a vacuum I think the AoE and assassination potential outweigh the pure damage.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Thanks for weighing in! I was always into Llael so it's cool to hear they got their own gun mages at last. Not Amethyst Rose, though?

Did they do anything to help out some of the weaker solo/units that never got to the table? Like Blythe and Bull or Rutger & Taryn?

Devil Dogs get any love?

Amethyst Rost is a gun mage order, just a paint job away. I'd be surprised if they ever got actual rules, the fluff was always just a justification for having certain mercs be able to take them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

Devil Dogs get any love?

They are a bit different from Amethyst Rose I imagine. If you are using Arcane Tempest as your base for the Rose, the Thorn Mages are a 3 person unit with no UA (and thus no attached Mule). I do believe they said this would be fixed once the Themes are put out to let Mercs take Gun Mages again so we will probably be able to take ATGM along with the Thorn Mages and whatever else. If anything I think the Thorn Gun Mages are meant to be the Amethyst Rose Gun Mages after years of rebellion and Khador rule.

Blythe and Bull got better, getting Prey (which I'm pretty sure they did not have before but I never used them) and are pretty cheap at 6 for a D3 Beatback, Crit Knockdown gun. Rutger, and all Jack Marshals, got better by a new host of rules for them. There were a lot of changes so it is better just to point you at the Insider that discussed them. I'm still neutral on Jack Marshals for Mercs (other factions love the changes) as we have some strange interactions with our Warjacks and the new Marshal rules. Its like I cannot find a Marshal and Jack that I want to be together, especially with the Powerup rules. I need to play and tinker some more with them before I say anything else really. Here is the insider for Jack Marshal:

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-05-17-2016

Devil Dogs got a buff and kind of a nerf at the same time. On the plus side, They are now weapon masters against all Constructs, losing trash. Their nets are range 4 but AOE 3 now which is super interesting to me. Same gun. Sam has the same great sword, and Iron Sentinel, and her new drive is Reposition 5 (which is like a 5 inch reform) for the jack. The Nerf is that they still have the same stats (13,13 with 15,12 for Sam) and are more expensive in MK3 points with 12 for min and 18 for the max. Even if you take a Buccaneer, 6 Mk3 points, a full unit is 24 points and that's feels really high to me for a fragile unit. I've not played with them yet, and I'm still hopeful that they will have a place, but I'm not entirely sure that they are worth all those points.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 6, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I assumed the 'Thorn' title was a reference to the Amethyst Rose. Roses have thorns and all :v:

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

Amethyst Rost is a gun mage order, just a paint job away. I'd be surprised if they ever got actual rules, the fluff was always just a justification for having certain mercs be able to take them.

If I remember correctly, the Amethyst Rose was destroyed by Khador when they assassinated the King of Llael, blew up their headquarters, and did some other very Khador things. Protectorate didn't improve the situation much either, but it was mainly Khador's fault.

HOWEVER, they have been resurrected as "The Thorn Gun Mages", their name coming from the fact that a rose has thorns and they will constantly be a thorn in the side of Khador.

So if you wanted to play Amethyst Rose gun mages, you can just use the Thorn Gun Mages. They are what remains of the Amethyst Rose.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Every rose has its thorn

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I wasn't aware of that, was that in a novel? Their HQ being blown up, that is. I'm still catching up. I'm almost upset that the WMH novels aren't just hot garbage because I was hoping for an excuse not to buy them.

I think it's pretty funny that Llael is now split up like post-WWII Germany :v:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

I wasn't aware of that, was that in a novel? Their HQ being blown up, that is. I'm still catching up. I'm almost upset that the WMH novels aren't just hot garbage because I was hoping for an excuse not to buy them.

My guess would be it either in the Prime unit fluff, or in Flashpoint(which was available at L&L).

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

It was either the Amethyst Rose headquarters, or the Golden Crucible headquarters. Khador and Irusk blew up almost everything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I just know I'll end up buying Prime & Primal for the fluff because I am an idiot

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I just know I'll end up buying Prime & Primal for the fluff because I am an idiot

What I'm referring to is from the old Mk.1 rulebook fluff, and the Iron Kingdoms RPG books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

What I'm referring to is from the old Mk.1 rulebook fluff, and the Iron Kingdoms RPG books.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I definitely don't have access to Mk.1 Prime. I do have the IKRPG though, but it's been a little while since I've read through the fluff.