Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also the event has been extended until 11th.

Nice! I'm stil milking this premium time for all it's worth anyway, but now I might *gasp* actually go for the Invasion reward.

Also, can you guys confirm that you can pick the Clan reward, sell everything for more than the IS reward mechs cost, and keep the mechbay? The math works out but sometimes PGI makes special mechs unsellable (eg Steam DLCs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The reward isn't a special mech at all, it's just a free mech and mechbay.

So yeah, you keep the mechbay.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

The reward isn't a special mech at all, it's just a free mech and mechbay.

So yeah, you keep the mechbay.

Good. While we're on the subject, I'm going to guess that the Enhanced NARC module is not, in fact, an underrated gem, but rather an actually useless piece of poo poo I can comfortably trade in for another Locust, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Good. While we're on the subject, I'm going to guess that the Enhanced NARC module is not, in fact, an underrated gem, but rather an actually useless piece of poo poo I can comfortably trade in for another Locust, right?

Have you ever in your life actually used a NARC?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Its handy if you want to use a NARC.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Polyakov posted:

Its handy if you want to use a NARC.

Which means you can safely sell it immediately.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Have you ever in your life actually used a NARC?

Hey I've come back to the game and discovered flamers are actually useful as something other than push-to-talk enhancers, I'm not taking anything for granted anymore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The primary problem with NARC's is that they help everyone else rather than you. They're good at what they do and even if you don't have any LRM's you still get the benefit of knowing where narc'd people are unless they're under an ECM umbrella.

If you don't use them it's a decent chunk of extra change.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

mcjomar posted:

So I'm guessing the best way to sealclub myself to rank 5 (or to keep my rank down) would be to use unmodified urbanmechs on a consistent basis?
Or should I also deploy metal babies?
We were doing some tier dropping theorycrafting in Mumble the other night. Here's what we came up with:

Your rank will go down if you post a low score AND your team loses the match. As far as I know there is no other way for your tier rank to drop.

If you score low all the time, and play in lots of matches within a short amount of time, you are bound to go down in rank. Weapons that don't do much damage are the key to scoring low. Pick flamers, NARC launchers, and (at the absolute most damaging) a single machine gun. Put them in light mechs and engage as fast as you possibly can. When you die, drop out and start a new match in a different light.

Keep in mind that flamers and NARCs, while very helpful for your teammates, reward you with jack poo poo. You will not be paid many cbills if you use them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also the event has been extended until 11th.

It's a miserable enough experience who the hell would go for the Invasion rewards UGH.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Finster Dexter posted:

Gotta have the extra up close punch.

What do we want?

"EXTRA PUNCH!"

Where do we want in?

"CLOSE RANGE!"

Dismissed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Hey I've come back to the game and discovered flamers are actually useful as something other than push-to-talk enhancers, I'm not taking anything for granted anymore.

unfortunately they used to look great but PGI couldn't be having that doubtless for retarded lore reasons :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

sebmojo posted:

unfortunately they used to look great but PGI couldn't be having that doubtless for retarded lore reasons :(

It was because they were being used to blind people. Which, at the time, was their only use, go figure.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Nice! I'm stil milking this premium time for all it's worth anyway, but now I might *gasp* actually go for the Invasion reward.

Also, can you guys confirm that you can pick the Clan reward, sell everything for more than the IS reward mechs cost, and keep the mechbay? The math works out but sometimes PGI makes special mechs unsellable (eg Steam DLCs).

You can take the clan mech, strip it, sell it for pretty much exactly what the IS mech costs from the shop, and have an empty mechbay, yes.
Its what i did 2 times.

You would probably make revenue if you kept the weaponry in, but the 12 mediums from the nova could prove useful in the future.
Also you can always sell weapons at a later time. Every now and then i clean up my garage and discover i have like 40 medium lasers or 20 c.a.s.e. units, and make some mils on the side. Same with standard engines.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

That was my plan until I took the stock Nova for a ride, sub-50% cooling efficiency and all, and found it actually a lot of fun. And on Terra Therma to boot.

I don't want to get hooked on Clan mechs though, eliting that poo poo is so painful :negative: Think I'll sell everything Clan just as self-defence.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

As stupid as this sounds, I was glad to pick up a second one.

Narctic cheetah is just that fun.

Lonjon posted:

If you score low all the time, and play in lots of matches within a short amount of time, you are bound to go down in rank. Weapons that don't do much damage are the key to scoring low. Pick flamers, NARC launchers, and (at the absolute most damaging) a single machine gun. Put them in light mechs and engage as fast as you possibly can. When you die, drop out and start a new match in a different light.

Ill put forth the LB-2 or an AC2 out there as a second weapon for this. I had to set up a poo poo fox to get a third concurrent match in for that, and hey it popped up as 'whats a guaranteed way to get 2 damage before i pop?'

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 6, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

That was my plan until I took the stock Nova for a ride, sub-50% cooling efficiency and all, and found it actually a lot of fun. And on Terra Therma to boot.

I don't want to get hooked on Clan mechs though, eliting that poo poo is so painful :negative: Think I'll sell everything Clan just as self-defence.

Especially since 90% of the time the center torso of all variants is the same, so you buy and basic the same mech 3 times before selling 2.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Spend less than a million fitting it with 9-11 ERSLs or SPLs to taste. It's like brawling with scalpels.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Cease to Hope posted:

Spend less than a million fitting it with 9-11 ERSLs or SPLs to taste. It's like brawling with scalpels.

Double Fisting Arctic Cheetahs

I play this mech like each of my arms is an arctic cheetah. Do not get shot in the rear end. You can alpha once, then punch left and right once before going into overheat. Press o as soon as match starts. If you don't alpha it actually runs surprisingly cool. Do use the jets when firing to spread damage onto your legs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

A.o.D. posted:

I was dumb and nostalgic enough to buy the phoenix hawk. I haven't as of yet been dumb enough to log in and play with one yet.

If you haven't logged in to claim it yet, you can still refund it. Get yo moneys back.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You guys are right, the vindicator is trash. After rebuying a centurion I realize I should've never sold it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just had an amusing pubbie game. Personally I had bad luck and turned a corner in my locust into a gauss shot that killed me and the rest of the team wasn't doing much better and it got to the point where we had 1 shadow cat vs Kodiak, Catapult, Archer, Arctic Cheetah and Locust.

The Shadowcat killed the Cheetah and Locust and kite damaged the other three mechs until he ran out of streak missiles and was left with 2 small lasers. He got his leg blown off by the Kodiak but somehow cored it before he was surrounded. Everyone was like GG until chat realized both the Archer and Catapult running Artemis SRM builds were both entirely out of ammo. Cue the 1 leg Shadowcat killing the two of them with a small laser while they tried to ram his other leg to death and failed. From hosed to victory this was hilarious.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

For loving around you can try TBR-C, i find Timbers (or clan omnis in general) dont run too well on "pure" chassis builds. Their main strength is combining to find *your* optimum setup.

Depending on the mech, 3 chassis for elite is either mandatory or not an issue at all. Timbers id recommend getting 3, absolutly. Laserboats usually need those double heat basics, ballistic platforms not so much. Still, double basics are nice for every mech, some profit more of them than others though.

Keep in mind that dropship tonnage may change unexpectedly, so you might find your carefully selected 250ton dropdeck invalid by 5 tons tomorrow.

This Timber C-only build is super fun but drat, it's super light on the leg armor huh? That's kind of unfortunate. Amazingly fun brawler DPS though!

The 3 different weapon types spread across the chassis makes this kind of hard to build for when you're limited to the C pods, it seems like.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just found out the terrible loyalty wolverine can fit an xl325, 2 asrm6, 2MG, MASC, max jumpjets and a head mounted flamer. Seems promising as a late game troll bot.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sebmojo posted:

I just found out the terrible loyalty wolverine can fit an xl325, 2 asrm6, 2MG, MASC, max jumpjets and a head mounted flamer. Seems promising as a late game troll bot.

I've been running the Penix variant and have xl325, 2jj, 3srm6 and a head laser. Does pretty well, but its fast so I'm always first person getting shotted.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

This Timber C-only build is super fun but drat, it's super light on the leg armor huh? That's kind of unfortunate. Amazingly fun brawler DPS though!

The 3 different weapon types spread across the chassis makes this kind of hard to build for when you're limited to the C pods, it seems like.

It looks like a half ton of ammo is worth about 18 armor points there.

Drop a heatsink and/or a bit of ammo for leg day.

Alternatively, SRM4's for the heat/firing rate are a possibility.

Omnipods for the timber cost 375 according to smurphy. The -D's lt paired with the -d or -s's Right torso doubles your amount of missiles.

If you like timber wolf brawling, try the 4 SPL + 4 SMR6A build.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sure, 4SPL + 4ASRM6 is good, but why would you do that when this is way more fun?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just reinstalled this for some godforsaken reason. I guess my cheesed-out ERPPC Thunderbolt is bad now, or something? My only other Mech is a Firestarter with a 210 engine, so that's obviously not playable. What should I do next?

The Thunderbolt's still pretty drat effective, at least at pilot rank 4 or whatever. Gunning people down with them on chain fire has been easy.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Yes.
This is why you absolutly need moar timbers to swap and match pods to fit your style.
You will end up buying seperate pods anyways, but trust me, 375k is not much once you get going.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nerses IV posted:

I just reinstalled this for some godforsaken reason. I guess my cheesed-out ERPPC Thunderbolt is bad now, or something? My only other Mech is a Firestarter with a 210 engine, so that's obviously not playable. What should I do next?

The Thunderbolt's still pretty drat effective, at least at pilot rank 4 or whatever. Gunning people down with them on chain fire has been easy.

Tbolts are still good. Just not erppcs. This game is all about the LPL now.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nerses IV posted:

You could try the event thats running, the scouting one is petty achievable and gives a mech.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So basically if you jump in right after a cease fire its almost a guaranteed win.

No long dongs, no premades, actual defense not that counter attack horseshit.

AND gently caress THIS EVENT, NO MORE CW FOR A LONG TIME.

Thank god.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 7, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

aniviron posted:

Sure, 4SPL + 4ASRM6 is good, but why would you do that when this is way more fun?
Because asymmetrical builds are over-hyped, UAC 20's can trick you into engaging at ranges that you really shouldn't and a single UAC is more the illusion of fun than actually being so :colbert:

Fun is subjective.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EponymousMrYar posted:

Because asymmetrical builds are over-hyped, UAC 20's can trick you into engaging at ranges that you really shouldn't and a single UAC is more the illusion of fun than actually being so :colbert:

Fun is subjective.

4 uac 10 on the kodiak 3 is hilarious though. Hot as balls.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I agree. Hence why I said 'single UAC.'

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EponymousMrYar posted:

I agree. Hence why I said 'single UAC.'

A single uac20 isn't bad, problem is, clan mechs can't really stand up to being within 300m of another robot for more than about 3 shots.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think a single uAC is worth it when it's a 20. Definitely agree that it takes a little fire discipline to make sure you're not firing it at ranges you shouldn't be, though.

And I wouldn't call a build with over a third of its firepower on the "dead" side asymmetrical, that one isn't supposed to be. It's just supposed to hurt things a lot at close range (which it does very well).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've always loved a Jaeger DD with 4MG, twin LBX and 2ML as a 'charge in a hold down all the buttons while screaming witness me' suicide bot, but I realised last night that it's actually much better playing it as a med/long range fire support for most of the game. It doesn't do a lot of damage but it is good at suppression because you can make the whole front of a mech flash with one shot.

Then when you make it to the mid game you execute the poo poo out of all the damaged robots, they fall apart like wet paper.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
200+ retards playing on the planet that clan has long toms on. What the gently caress is wrong with people. Move to a different planet, jesus christ. WHY DO I KEEP PLAYING THIS PIECE OF poo poo GAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Not sure which planet you mean, but Gladius fit the bill. After the first games with LTs on it ended, the populations dropped to 30, with both sides combined.

CLEARLY THIS IS A FUN MECHANIC! Thankfully, we have people like this guy to make sure things never change, since Russ only takes game balance advice from Twitter.

• Locked thread