Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I Nichol hereby oath for the month of July to paint this modular 4x6 table and associated foam los blocking terrain I made.

I realize now only one of the four panels is visible in this shot. Ruling? Here is the progress since this morning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For the challenge, can we paint the water or does it need to be one of those water effects? Also, would a crack at swampwater be acceptable, or does it need to be brighter, happier water?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my LGS needs some more forest and rubble terrain for warmachine, and this seems like a great opportunity.

Anyone have any links to making cheap forest and rubble terrain?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I, cyberia, hereby oath for the month of July to paint one Danor, human wizard, mini from Mantic and one Natasha, comms operator, mini from Raging Heroes

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pyrolocutus posted:

For the challenge, can we paint the water or does it need to be one of those water effects? Also, would a crack at swampwater be acceptable, or does it need to be brighter, happier water?

Water is water, green, blue, grey, or some weird purple poo poo that factory up the river is pumping out but it's ok because they said it's totally not carcinogenic!

And not to speak for Zark, but I'm pretty sure that if you can paint some kind of water it's enough, actual water effects gels and 1 or 2 part still water resins are just a cool looking way of doing it - I've found that, while the challenges are good for getting you to paint in new and different ways, they're never about making you go out and spend more money buying tools or ingredients just for that one challenge. There's always capacity for you to improvise with what you have on hand.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I speed painted. Actual photos will come when everything else is done.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for the month of July (clockwise, starting top left): (2) sets of broken tower/staircase terrain from the Dragons Don't Share kit; (1) Ophidian Gateway; (1) Arcane Ruins; and (1) Garden of Morr!

All 28mm; the two broken tower sets are Reaper Bonesium, everything else is Games Workshop. Nothing primed yet, although some of the pieces are covered in liquid greenstuff and filing marks (that's a greenstuff join on the topmost tower piece).

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
For July I oath: A Battle Boar, a Splatter Boar, 6 Morats, and 16 Damaged Urban tiles!
The boars are Privateer Press, Morats are Corvus Belli, and the tiles are from Secret Weapon miniatures.

Hopefully this photo works, I was hard pressed to fit both the oath contents and the timestamp in the same shot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I have to say, I'm loving the amount of terrain coming out!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Any of this (painting, swamps, etc.) is fine by me, though it's really up to krushgroove and the Judges :)

Red Shoe posted:

For July I oath: A Battle Boar, a Splatter Boar, 6 Morats, and 16 Damaged Urban tiles!
The boars are Privateer Press, Morats are Corvus Belli, and the tiles are from Secret Weapon miniatures.

Hopefully this photo works, I was hard pressed to fit both the oath contents and the timestamp in the same shot.

It's good, I can make out the time and date OK. And yeah, big oaths are a bitch to photo, which is why my Oath's like a gallery this month :D

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I, LordAba, oath 3 tyrannofex from Games Workshop and 3 tyranid terrain pieces from Forgeworld

Okay, one of the tyrannofex is started already but I don't care. I still have to get it done anyways.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, do oath this The Swamp Hag box set from Wyrd's Malifaux line. Left to right is Zoraida, Voodoo Doll, Bad Juju, and three Silurid.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Electric Hobo posted:

For July, I, Electric Hobo, oath 6 boats and the Sea Serpent. Still from Blood Rage by CMoN.
The boats look like a circus, but that's just the colored plastic showing through the white primer.

Grey Hunter posted:

MAXIMUM EFFORT MONTH!!

I Grey Hunter oath the following -

35 Praetorian Snipers (10mm Hawk Wargames)
48 Vietnam era US Soldiers + 8 casualties & 40 Viet Cong Solders + 8 casualties. 8 Supply markers (112 models total - Peter Pig, 15mm)

PLUS!
1 Huey Frog, (Battlefront, 15mm)
6 Huey Pencil Sharpeners (Unknown manufacturer, almost 15mm)
Finally, 1 Oasis Palms Hotel complex -(3 buildings in 10mm by Dark Ops)

Uroboros posted:

I, Uroboros, oath one Drop Pod and Chief Librarian Tigurius.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I, tallkidwithglasses, oath to turn this spackle and water effects and tiny bridges into a tabletops worth of 6mm scale streams and rivers

JerryLee posted:

For starters I, JerryLee, oath to paint this ruined tower base by Reaper

You may be able to see a few traces of paint from a paint test that I wasn't able to strip/scrape off. I'll be painting over these.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I, Dimo ArKacho, oath to paint these 11 Stormtroopers and 1 Kayn Somos Stormtrooper Officer dude. 28mm Fantasy Flight.

Korwen posted:

I, Korwen, oath to paint this Protectorate of Menoth Mk3 Battle Box (With Malekus, a Repenter, a Revenger, and a Castigator) and a Protectorate of Menoth Guardian, all 30mm Privateer Press

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath this Fu-Leng Devourer, from Wrath of Kings by CMON for July

'Tis merely the calm before the dwarves...

Iceclaw posted:

I, Iceclaw, Oath to the Great Motherland to build and paint this Mk3 Khador Battlebox, and this Iron Fang Pikemen with Unit attachment, all from Privateer Press!

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for July 2016:

One Temple of Skulls (GW)
The contents of the Worldsmith Industries Kickstarter (minus Objectives which I already painted in Season 5), which includes:
3 sets of walls: Stone, Reinforced & Crumbling
1 set of Barrels and Crates
2 Swamps: Large & Small
2 Lakes: Large & Small
4 Area Terrain Bases: Size 3, 4, 5a and 5b
1 set of Gravestones
29 Area Terrain 'Inserts': 5 Large Rocky Outcroppings, 5 Crystal Outcroppings, 7 Tree Stumps (Actual Trees may or may not be added), 3 Landmines, 6 Rocky Slabs, 3 Plain (I may or may not add stuff to these later)

I hope the pics are OK, it was a pain taking them! The full sized ones on Imgur should show the date but if not I took a close up.

Likely more to come once I get this lot done!

thespaceinvader posted:

I thespaceinvader do hereby oath this converted TIE Bomber Shuttle from Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270 scale

No jurnal for me this month unless 'gently caress you it's a space boat' counts?

LewdMonocle posted:

I LewdMonocle oath Nomad Tomcats unit box for Infinity (4ish dudes 28mm)and Shroud Mages 10 boats (2mm?) by Spartan Games.

Why do I still have Uncharted Seas stuff?

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath these four terrain bits that will somehow magically become water/acid pools (one test model already in progress)

And also these Venator Reivers with command attachment (12 models) and Makeda3 with her Exalted Court (3 models) all 30mm stuff from Privateer Press

Probably more to come later in the month. I need to get so much done before Templecon at the end of August.

Bucnasti posted:

I bucnasti oath these five reaper bones bugbears and this reaper bones totally radical shark-man-thing.

Endman posted:

I, Endman, oath to paint these five Cadian Shock Troopers from Games Workshop:

JackMack posted:

I, JackMack Oath "The Time Traveller", a promotional miniature for the Pantheon of Chaos Kickstarter.

It's not the best angle, but I am going to go for box art by painting according to the album cover. If you don't know what album, consider this a cunning puzzle.

NTRabbit posted:

Oh right, Germ's special terrain comp this month :buddy: I completely forgot! In that case

OATH ADDITION

1 Large Drill Platform by Underground Lasers (28mm)

counterspin posted:

I, counterspin, oath Midas, a Battle Boar, a Road Hog, and a Boneswar

Ugleb posted:

Here we go for the well timed terrain month, as I probably have a table's worth of stuff to get through! I'll be starting with my big piece and will hopefully get through to adding some more bits later in the month!

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of July:

1x Harmonic Theatre, 1x Roof-top Access and 1x Subway Entrance, 28mm scale by Knights of Dice.
2x Victorian Gateway and 12x Victorian Fence, 28mm scale by Blotz.

Takuan posted:

I, Takuan, hereby solemnly oath for the month of July, this charming gadabout
Copycat Killer, from Malifaux

counterspin posted:

Speed painting

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath the following: Lokhir Fellheart (GW) and a ton of terrain by THMiniatures: 2 small fences, angle fence, piles & barrels, piles & rocks, fence with entry, large fence, fence for artillery, 2 stakes, loads of logs. Also a bunch of cardboard to build hills out of.

enri posted:

I, enri, hereby oath to paint... 1 Warmachine Cygnar Lancer, 10 stands of 6mm evil robot not-necrons and 2 pieces of ruined terrain (the colour on which is textured paint, which has since been undercoated - any issues with these, let me know and I'll show a progress pic)

I definitely need to add something later in the month, I've got nothing I can do this month's challenge with at the moment.

Galaspar posted:

For July I, Galaspar, oath five Grave Warden Terminators by Forge World

Scowny posted:

I, Scowny, hereby Oath to paint this GW Crashed Aquila Lander and 6 Urban Barricades (28mm)
Only had the things for what, 10 years? About time they got painted.

Nichol posted:

I Nichol hereby oath for the month of July to paint this modular 4x6 table and associated foam los blocking terrain I made.

cyberia posted:

I, cyberia, hereby oath for the month of July to paint one Danor, human wizard, mini from Mantic and one Natasha, comms operator, mini from Raging Heroes

Electric Hobo posted:

I speed painted. Actual photos will come when everything else is done.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for the month of July (clockwise, starting top left): (2) sets of broken tower/staircase terrain from the Dragons Don't Share kit; (1) Ophidian Gateway; (1) Arcane Ruins; and (1) Garden of Morr!

All 28mm; the two broken tower sets are Reaper Bonesium, everything else is Games Workshop. Nothing primed yet, although some of the pieces are covered in liquid greenstuff and filing marks (that's a greenstuff join on the topmost tower piece).

Red Shoe posted:

LordAba posted:

I, LordAba, oath 3 tyrannofex from Games Workshop and 3 tyranid terrain pieces from Forgeworld

Okay, one of the tyrannofex is started already but I don't care. I still have to get it done anyways.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, do oath this The Swamp Hag box set from Wyrd's Malifaux line. Left to right is Zoraida, Voodoo Doll, Bad Juju, and three Silurid.

Oaths Accepted!

Business Gorillas posted:

just as a head's up, there's no explanation as to how i do save da whales in the op
Sorry about that, I've been meaning to copy over the info from Season 6 but it's basically the same as in the last few years - post that you are Saving Da Whales and include a picture of your failed Oath. Only Oaths from season 7 can be saved, though!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Using the phrase 'water effects' was a poor choice, really, as that's a brand name of Vallejo's clear resin type material. Painting water is fine, but it has to be WATER: the edge of a beach, a flowing gutter or something like that is fine, there needs to be some sort of wavy water-like surface. Although if somone wants to paint a cartoon-like watery surface of something emerging from water (like blue or white 'water' dripping or flowing off a leg or something) that's fine too. It doesn't have to actual clear resin or water model effects. And it can be a swamp, river, pond, well, whatever.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
I, Jubelio, oath to paint these 2 scratch built towers

Definitely the biggest terrain I have ever painted, yikes

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

We seem to have a fair dinkum, escalating terrain showdown happening here this month :clint:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

jubelio posted:

I, Jubelio, oath to paint these 2 scratch built towers

Definitely the biggest terrain I have ever painted, yikes

Hirst molds, right? Did you cast them using dental plaster? And did you make them so that you can access the lower levels? Because if so that's rad as hell.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Slimnoid posted:

Hirst molds, right? Did you cast them using dental plaster? And did you make them so that you can access the lower levels? Because if so that's rad as hell.

tbh I bought em off a dude pretty cheap but yeah the one on the left is convertible but that was going to be a surprise! :p

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, Oath for the month of July: One Privateer Press Mariner, one privateer press Major Beth Maddox, One Citadel infantry dude (partially painted for the Its a rescue challenge, and this large gothic building by Pegasus hobbies.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

:radcat:I, Business Gorillas, oath one (1) Celestial Hurricawhatever from the Games Workingshop:radcat:

can i claim the theme by painting one of the planets on the planetarium like neptune? it is a water planet, after all :science:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pash posted:

this large gothic building by Pegasus hobbies.

Oh man, you just reminded me that I have one of these and that I need to get around to painting it.

Business Gorillas posted:

can i claim the theme by painting one of the planets on the planetarium like neptune? it is a water planet, after all :science:

I'd allow it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I thought I'd do a little work in progress. I've almost finished the first of five miniatures (the sarge) for my oath this month, and I think the scheme is solid and it's turning out rather well.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Endman posted:

I thought I'd do a little work in progress. I've almost finished the first of five miniatures (the sarge) for my oath this month, and I think the scheme is solid and it's turning out rather well.

That's a sharp scheme, you're definitely getting good results so far.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint, you guessed it, more Gremlins! 3 Lightning Bugs, 1 Lovely Assistant, and this assortment of 8 total swamp bases, one of which will get a little extra attention to look extra watery.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
First oath of the month: a Regiment of Tomb Guard for Kings of War.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Waiting on my FLGS to know if they have a wreck marker so I can have the Juggernaut standing over a fallen foe in some kind of wrasslin pose with the severed head in its fist, so have a preview of the Decimator.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I, Lord_Hambrose, am Oathing a mighty heap of terrain for July. From Games Workshop, one Giant Space Church, one ruined Wizards Tower (baby edition), one Evil Stonehenge (+ skulls) and part of the Ruins of Osgillioth. Two ruins from Pegasus Hobbies. Two buildings made form the Deadzone terriain kits from Mantic. And four shipping containers from Reaper.

I would also like to oath a handful of barrels, boxes, tubs, and treasure chests I cast from Hirst Arts molds.

What have i done.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You forgot to include the cat on your oath list, I can see it there on the right

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

You forgot to include the cat on your oath list, I can see it there on the right

The cat has more than one color. Is it a rescue?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

GoodBee posted:

The cat has more than one color. Is it a rescue?

Yeah, the zenithal highlighting came out a little weird. Humidity caused it? Not an expert.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Endman posted:

Just wanted to say this is looking really nice, the scheme is solid and the implementation is tops.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SRM posted:

That's a sharp scheme, you're definitely getting good results so far.

Ashcans posted:

Just wanted to say this is looking really nice, the scheme is solid and the implementation is tops.

Thanks, friends!

I've just completed the little guy today, so that's one fifth of my oath done. :toot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm curious how he'd look with a black base rim, but he's lookin good.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Oath Addition: One Bob Olley Scrunt sniper dude.

I took that picture this afternoon, before I got too lazy to post, so here are some progress pictures as well.

He's pretty much all basecoated, and I'm thinking I might try two brush blending on him instead of a wash. I already have 10 million Stormtroopers to wash and highlight up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the hat though? I'm not really liking the coloring on it. I was originally going for some sort of arctic fur idea, but it didn't really pan out or jive with the rest.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I, Dimo ArKacho, oath to paint these 11 Stormtroopers and 1 Kayn Somos Stormtrooper Officer dude. 28mm Fantasy Flight.

Endman
May 18, 2010

SRM posted:

I'm curious how he'd look with a black base rim, but he's lookin good.

I had a similar thought, since the grey base rim ended up a lot brighter than I would have liked, and I eventually changed it to a dark grey that blends better with the gravel he's standing on:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well poo poo, my terrain guy just announced today that he's winding the business back to eBay sales only, mostly tokens with terrain only on arranged request, because even though he's paid off the laser the income isn't steady enough, so he's going back to regular work.

Gonna paint as much of his stuff this month as I can.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Alright then terrain guy, this is for you, and I'm glad I only oathed the one mini to start with

OATH ADDITION
  • 20x 3" laser barrier sections, 4x corners for angled walls, 2x large acrylic billboards, 2x large shipping container, 2x shipping container, 1x angled wall with stairs and acrylic door, 1x Supercomputer by Underground Lasers (28mm)
  • 6x Q huts by Impudent Mortal (15mm)

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint in July

1 Kraken by Reaper (25mm)

readysetgo

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I, Chance II, Oath 1 Ogre Mammoth(?), 3 Sabertooth kitties, and 4 goblins from Games Workshop and 3 28mm Korean Mounted Archers from Perry Miniatures for the month of July!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Here are some WIP Photos for my water terrain pieces, taken over the past couple of days.

The four pieces of thin birch plywood (maybe a poor base choice - have to see) have been covered with spackle/filler with raised edges to hold the water effect. I left the surfaces very rough but would probably sand them down a bit next time.

Here the pieces have been sprayed with brown spray paint and the water/swamp colors painted on the bottom where the water effects will go (fading to a lighter color near the edge to represent thinner water, and a ring of grey around where the water will meet the land). I also gloss varnished the blue/green parts after some of the paint chopped off my test model (upper left) as I was spreading the water effect around.

But the good thing about the water effect stuff is if you gently caress up you can just peel it out and start again. In this case some flocking fell into the test model as the water effect was setting and it looked like poo poo. So off it comes and now I'll start again on the test model with the lessons learned.

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath these four terrain bits that will somehow magically become water/acid pools (one test model already in progress)

And also these Venator Reivers with command attachment (12 models) and Makeda3 with her Exalted Court (3 models) all 30mm stuff from Privateer Press

Probably more to come later in the month. I need to get so much done before Templecon at the end of August.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I, Loxbourne, hereby Oath one Games Workshop Garden of Morr kit, plus a handful of Reaper Bones dungeon detail items. A fountain, casket, and two gothic candlesticks to be precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath nine Scrap Thralls, two Leviathan helljacks, and a Soul Trapper! All of which are 32mm / Privateer Press.

• Locked thread