Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh hey, the new UNIT audio is out. I liked the last one AND it gives me an excuse to put off The Boy That Time Forgot a little longer, so that's a bonus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Talking of audios, there's a trailer up for the Classic Doctors, New Monsters line (which I didn't realise was a boxset). Angels, Judoon, Sycorax ..and the Sontarans? Uh, ok. At least Christopher Ryan is back as one.

Deets linky

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ordered that one a while back, it's a neat concept and I really hope they can pull it off. No idea how they'll manage to make the Weeping Angels work in audio format though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Ordered that one a while back, it's a neat concept and I really hope they can pull it off. No idea how they'll manage to make the Weeping Angels work in audio format though.

I'm not entirely convinced they've made them work on TV aside from Blink. I've just not enjoyed how they've handled them in any of their other appearances.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What new series monsters do you think are worth a second look?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There's probably some mileage in The Wire, I'd like to see more of the Fisher King (and not just because Serafinowicz)... after that I'm kind of struggling to be honest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it would be fun to have the Ood in and around in the classic universe :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Remember in 2005 how it felt like the Slitheen were going to be "the" new monsters of the revival?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I don't know if I'd like to see them a second time, but I think Big Finish could do very well with the Empty Child. I also agree with the Wire, that's a pretty good pick.

And, as much as everything surrounding it made everybody cringe, I think the parasite thing from Fear Her could do really well if we gave it another chance.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh hey, the new UNIT audio is out. I liked the last one AND it gives me an excuse to put off The Boy That Time Forgot a little longer, so that's a bonus!

I've got Torchwood: Broken lined up for today. I'm excited - it's the story of how Jack and Ianto first hooked up.

As written by Joseph Lidster.

Personally I'd like to see the Vashta Nerada from Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead show up again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd be interested in seeing a radical reinterpretation of the Krillitane from School Reunion, something that made use of their whole bodysnatcher, parasite biology thing. But that probably defeats the purpose of bringing them back, since they wouldn't be the same creature at all.

I also think the Flesh have massive untapped potential, but I'd kind of want to see a "Doctorless" story about the Ganger Doctor struggling to live on after the events of that story.

Big Finish could probably do some great stuff with The Wire as well, especially if they got Maureen Lipman back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I've got Torchwood: Broken lined up for today. I'm excited - it's the story of how Jack and Ianto first hooked up.

:smugbert: "I know you only just killed your Cyber-ised girlfriend who you secretly kept in our basement for months, but are you DTF?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah I'd love to see the Flesh back, either post or pre the events of the 2 parter I think there is a lot of interesting stuff to explore there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I generally prefer it when Big Finish (and Who itself) go off and do new things in any case. I'd rather have a story that tries something new but doesn't work than a mediocre Dalek or Cyberman story again.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

:smugbert: "I know you only just killed your Cyber-ised girlfriend who you secretly kept in our basement for months, but are you DTF?"

It’s Joseph Lidster. His idea of “DTF” worries me. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I like them trying their own thing too, even if it falls flat (the Forge, Nimrod, Knox etc) it's good to see them experiment and try new things.

But there's fun to be had in exploring some of the fresh stuff we've only seen in the revival too. Daleks and Cybermen have been done to death but it would be neat to see how a one-off creature from the revival might be handled in the classic Doctor format (especially only in audio).

As with anything, it could easily be overexposed or executed poorly, but that's a risk whether using old or new creatures.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I like them trying their own thing too, even if it falls flat (the Forge, Nimrod, Knox etc) it's good to see them experiment and try new things.

But there's fun to be had in exploring some of the fresh stuff we've only seen in the revival too. Daleks and Cybermen have been done to death but it would be neat to see how a one-off creature from the revival might be handled in the classic Doctor format (especially only in audio).

As with anything, it could easily be overexposed or executed poorly, but that's a risk whether using old or new creatures.

True. I mean, Big Finish did make the Nimons an actual threat in Seasons of Fear...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

True. I mean, Big Finish did make the Nimons an actual threat in Seasons of Fear...

Oi! If I get yelled at to spoilertag that "classic" "villain", you should to!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Oi! If I get yelled at to spoilertag that "classic" "villain", you should to!

Classic? Please. How many Nimons have you seen today?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

You know how Google Deep Dream turned everything into a dog-infested nightmare? That's me with the Ni-MON.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Some say they're a classic...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's pretty funny that people are bringing up the Wire, considering that's the one RTD wants them to do as well.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

It's pretty funny that people are bringing up the Wire, considering that's the one RTD wants them to do as well.

Man's gotta have a code.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CobiWann posted:

Man's gotta have a code.

Apologies for the double post, but check out what I managed to pick up for about $300 bucks...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gordon Shumway posted:

Some say they're a classic...

Speaking of which, I saw my local bookstore had a bunch of new reprints of Target novelizations. For the 6th Doctor, they natural chose:

(Starring Colin Baker's stand-in as The Sixth Doctor)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Apologies for the double post, but check out what I managed to pick up for about $300 bucks...

That's a hell of a deal, there - especially with what people are trying to get for the out-of-print ones on eBay.

Could you fill out this survey for me? All I'll need is your address, the hours you tend to work, and which windows you leave unlocked...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

This forum should have a "like" button.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Turns out I'm unemployed this summer, and to kill time I've been fiddling about with the Quest text game engine. The natural consequence of this, of course, is a little Sixth Doctor adventure game.

DOCTOR WHO: THE EGGS OF DESTRUCTION

I honestly can't say if the puzzles or story or anything make any sense to anyone since I pretty much made everything up as I went along, and the graphics are obviously as HD as only a combination of MS Paint and waning interest can get you, but hopefully it's playable. I'd be obviously really happy if you can bother to give it a try, though, and if you find some egregious mistake or bug or something else that shouldn't be there, you can let me know and I'll fix it if I haven't found something else to occupy my brain by then.

All in all, it's a little adventure with Six and Peri in 1910s Russia. Making it relieved my summer boredom for a while, and hopefully playing it will do the same for you. The Quest engine is really easy to use, too, so give it a try if making text adventures sounds like something that might interest you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Death comes for the Doctor but it's playing hard to get.

Long Synopsis: The Doctor picks up a distress signal and comes to the rescue, only to discover himself on a quasi-legal sky station above an infectious plague-planet. As he tries to save the crew and himself, the crew constantly gets in the way with a mixture of incompetence, corruption, obsession and insanity.

What's Good:
  • The impending sense of doom. It makes sense given that death is the central theme of this story, but there's a wonderfully maudlin sense that permeates this story that somehow works. This is mostly down to Sylvester McCoy's performance, he hits just the right notes in his portrayal of 7 as weary and ready for a change. The story is - if not his last adventure - very close to it, there are plenty of call-backs (call-forwards?) to the television movie that saw him regenerate into Paul McGann's 8th Doctor. Sometimes that is used for humor such as when he complains that he doesn't intend to die to the sound of glorified elevator music while listening to Puccini's Madame Butterfly, which is the song that plays during his death scene in the movie. But more often than not it is a feeling, a sense that he's lived a long time in this incarnation and is more than ready to move on, tired of being the grand puppetmaster toppling regimes and outsmarting genocidal monsters. Throwing him into the mix of the sky station above Antikon, he fits right in amongst the paranoid, the desperate and the dying who have been drawn to Antikon for various reasons. His solution to dealing with the Decay makes a lot of sense both in the context of his character and the setting, and it's kinda fitting that his plan basically fails which further demonstrates he's reaching the end of the line and isn't quite as on top of things as he once prided himself on being.

• The cacophony of sound. There's a wall of noise in this story that just bombards the listener almost from the start and never lets up. People panicking, resurrected creatures rushing about, the ship falling apart, the computer constantly talking, it's just noise, noise, noise and yet it all works. The situation is supposed to feel chaotic, unsettling and even in places frustrating and the sound design accomplishes this very well without ever going too far over the line and becoming annoying or detracting from the story.

• Spider's Shadow. The Death Collectors is a little shorter than most Big Finish stories, which works in this case because the story doesn't outlive its welcome but also doesn't feel rushed. It helps that the bonus story included with it - Spider's Shadow - is very good AND ties in to the main story so it feels like a natural extension. A fun little story about the Doctor finding himself running through the same series of events over and over but completely out of order, quickly working out that something is wrong and turning the trap he's in against itself in order to escape. I mentioned above that there was a sense in the main story that the Doctor wasn't quite as on top of things as he used to be, but here the flame burns bright again for a short time as he smoothly adapts to the situation and works out how to take control. The fact he ends up against a nemesis who is just as used to being magnitudes of intellect above its adversaries as the Doctor works too, because it suggests the Doctor IS out of his league only for his previous actions/interactions in the main story proving the difference - his exposure to the base and "simple" level of time/space that his nemesis despises ends up being the key to defeating it. It would be easy for the gimmick to overshadow the story, but it all ties together nicely and makes sense, probably because it is so short that there is no room for fluff and they just get to the meat of the matter.

What's Not:

• Decay and the Dar Traders. The Decay is the central threat of the story, and the Dar Traders are inextricably linked with it.... but neither gets much in the way of explanation and that connection they share doesn't actually make any sense given the information we're given in the story. The Dar Traders come to the Sky Station to help the scientist there treat an assistant infected with Decay because as "traders of death" they have a natural resistance to the Decay.... but then it turns out they were CREATED by the Decay? So then why are they scared of it? If the planet is quarantined to keep the Decay from getting out, how come the Dar Traders are free to just sail about in space trading in dead things? How come the Decay infects them if they're naturally resistant to it? Why are they working to contain the Decay and prevent it from getting out into the universe? Why is the chief scientist so obsessed with "beating death" when the Dar Traders already have, they're basically walking corpses who can only move about thanks to exo-skeletons but they are LIVING dead. By the end of the story, I was more confused by the various revelations that had come about than I was before I started.

• A muddled climax. There's a story of love and redemption trying to peek through from beneath all the focus on death and nihilism... but when it comes it doesn't feel earned or even particularly desirable. Katherine Parkinson (Jen from the excellent The IT Crowd) is interesting as Danika Meanwhile but nobody really works, including unfortunately the Chief Scientist who serves as the primary antagonist until the Decay can take a more front-and-center role. Katarina Olsson as the Ship's AI which is starting to become corrupted does a perfectly fine job but is hampered by covering such well-trodden ground done so much better in the past. Their various stories coming together lacks any sense of impact and the climax doesn't really hit when it finally comes, especially as there seems to be a deliberate attempt to push the idea of Danika as a potential new companion (and she probably would have been a good one) which overshadows the rather lame broken-relationship one that ends up taking precedence.

Final Thoughts:

The Death Collectors is a pretty good story, giving Sylvester McCoy a chance to shine and delivering a stripped down but not skeletal story that would have felt weighed down if it had featured any of his usual companions. McCoy is very good as the weary Doctor approaching the end of his life (this one, anyway) and feeling it in his bones as he drifts ever on struggling to drum up the fire that previously drove this incarnation. The sound design is very good and adds a lot to the atmosphere, but the story is muddled and doesn't deliver a particularly satisfying climax, not helped by the supporting cast not really adding much. In conjunction with the follow-up one-off story Spider's Shadow however I came out of this story feeling quite satisfied and feeling like it worked, the Doctor's final use of the Decay to good and noble purpose really ties things together nicely. It's not a story I would go out of my way to recommend as a must-listen, but it's probably the most solid of the recent McCoy stories, though it doesn't quite reach the level of, for example, Red. It does go to show just how varied 7th Doctor stories can be though, and seeing him as the tired old Doctor rather than the grand manipulator makes a nice change of pace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

All in all, it's a little adventure with Six and Peri in 1910s Russia. Making it relieved my summer boredom for a while, and hopefully playing it will do the same for you. The Quest engine is really easy to use, too, so give it a try if making text adventures sounds like something that might interest you.

Loaded it up, never really played much in the way of computer text adventures so I'm not really sure how to proceed - I tried to talk to the guard and Peri said we should get our bearings, but if I try to do that (or just look around) I get messages saying the game can't do that. Also to be honest I figured the Sixth Doctor would ignore Peri and just talk to the guard anyway so I tried that and just got the same message!

Ahh, I see typing help offers some suggestions - I'm enjoying the dialogue and I managed to get inside the palace. This is neat :)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Loaded it up, never really played much in the way of computer text adventures so I'm not really sure how to proceed - I tried to talk to the guard and Peri said we should get our bearings, but if I try to do that (or just look around) I get messages saying the game can't do that. Also to be honest I figured the Sixth Doctor would ignore Peri and just talk to the guard anyway so I tried that and just got the same message!

Ahh, I see typing help offers some suggestions - I'm enjoying the dialogue and I managed to get inside the palace. This is neat :)

Yeah, getting inside the palace is probably one of the tougher puzzles of the game just because I kind of mangled that bit. Glad to hear you could get past it though!

If someone's struggling getting started, you can talk to the guard after you've successfully determined where you are. You can do this by looking at practically anything in the area, so either LOOK AT PALACE, LOOK AT RIVER, LOOK AT SNOW, etc. Then just TALK TO THE GUARD and then GO IN.

The game's vocabulary is a bit limited, too, but I tried to make it so that you wouldn't need much beyond the most basic commands to get through. I don't think you need any verbs beyond GO, TALK TO, GIVE, GET and USE, plus sometimes you need to use an item on another item with USE X ON Y. Typing INV or INVENTORY should give you a list of items you're holding, but I now realise I haven't really tested how well that works. (Incidentally, I think typing HELP probably gets you the info text that comes with the engine, so that might clear up some basic stuff, but I didn't write it myself.)

As a general tip, it's a good idea to speak to people a couple times, as they usually say different things after the first time. Also please speak to Peri at every opportunity because otherwise all my Boney M jokes go to waste

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 7, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What are the odds I'll be eaten by a grue?

After The War posted:

That's a hell of a deal, there - especially with what people are trying to get for the out-of-print ones on eBay.

Yeah, I was trying to calmly explain to my wife why I needed to spend $300 bucks in front of the seller without letting him on to the fact that The Two Doctors and Dragonfire alone were worth that much let alone some of the other out-of-print ones...

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 7, 2016

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You could just buy a region 2 DVD player.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cargohills posted:

You could just buy a region 2 DVD player.

I could, but all my DVD's are Region 1 and while I don't have OCD I like my DVD's and the cases to match as closely as possible whenever possible, he says as he looks at eBay for a $80 dollar copy of City of Death.

Going "black case, black case, black case, grey case, black case" would slowly drive me insane.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I haven't even clicked the link yet and I want to stat throwing money at you for the scare quotes around "graphic." I'm glad you were my Santee last year, you obviously gave the insane late 80s stuff a good home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Forktoss posted:

Turns out I'm unemployed this summer, and to kill time I've been fiddling about with the Quest text game engine. The natural consequence of this, of course, is a little Sixth Doctor adventure game.

DOCTOR WHO: THE EGGS OF DESTRUCTION

Neither 'strangle peri', 'choke peri' nor 'throttle peri' work. Unplayable. 2/10.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did you try 'alien spy' instead of 'Peri'?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Neither 'strangle peri', 'choke peri' nor 'throttle peri' work. Unplayable. 2/10.

Gotta save something for the DLC

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
This is a pretty fun little adventure game and I've gotten a ways in but now I'm at a spot where I know what to do but not how to go about it.

I felt so clever when I remembered that the fancy medical computer dispenses antidotes... but I can't use it unless I get the Tsarina to clear off and I'm not sure how to go about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

FreezingInferno posted:

This is a pretty fun little adventure game and I've gotten a ways in but now I'm at a spot where I know what to do but not how to go about it.

I felt so clever when I remembered that the fancy medical computer dispenses antidotes... but I can't use it unless I get the Tsarina to clear off and I'm not sure how to go about that.

Fabergé's assistant downstairs should have a little hint about that, providing everything works as it should - for whatever reason, I had to redo that part so many times some wires might have got crossed there. You're a good way in, though! Let me know if you still can't get it to work properly, there might be something for me to fix there.

EDIT: Oh dammit, I don't think you can get that hint from him anymore at that point in the game. I'll have to fix that later, actually. Anyway, check your inventory! You should have an item that might work as an ice-breaker, though it's maybe a bit oblique, I admit.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 7, 2016

• Locked thread