Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
OK, but, compared to Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Depends on time period of Europe really. By virtue of having an organized state for longer than Europe China had fewer wars but each given war was much much bigger. Also famines caused by the Yellow River flooding too much, or not enough, or changing course wracked up truly monumental death tolls, but you could say the same of various plagues and climate changes that occurred in Europe.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

True, I guess the best answer to "Who had the best pre-modern lifestyle?" really comes down to, "where did you live and when?"

I'd invariably guess that those who had the better lifestyles had A. a stable food supply, and B. a functional system of civic engineering (mainly that the poop and the drinking water did not happen to be one in the same). Honestly, it's kind of mind-boggling to me how people can romanticize pre-modern life as having better lifestyle than the present. I literally live in one of the few times in history where I can drink out of a public faucet and have a reasonable expectation that I won't die from making GBS threads myself to death.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, there were a handful of things that were better back then. Asthma was extremely rare, for example. It's a pretty small list though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Well, there were a handful of things that were better back then. Asthma was extremely rare, for example. It's a pretty small list though.

You were much less likely to die in a car crash, and the rate of diagnosed autism was zero!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And cultural marxists weren't causing alpha males to have their feelings hurt.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You were much less likely to die in a car crash, and the rate of diagnosed autism was zero!

My asthma thing wasn't a joke, though. Industrialization and the resulting widespread air pollution has caused asthma rates to increase by literally a thousand times compared to what they were in ye olden tymes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My general assumption with this sort of pre-modern romanticization is that the fantasizers are imagining themselves as the lords, not the poo poo farmers -- but no, this graphic is explicitly about the poo poo farmers. The charitable, pretty sad interpretation is that the makers are so depressed that they believe any potential life is better than theirs, even one that's shorthand for miserable grinding poverty. The non-charitable one is that they define happiness exclusively by "do I think I could dominate a helpless woman here, ideally as close to a child as possible?" That's also pretty sad, but not in a way I can sympathize with.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

The non-charitable one is that they define happiness exclusively by "do I think I could dominate a helpless woman here, ideally as close to a child as possible?"

Like, the modern point of contrast is "wagecucks" soooo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GunnerJ posted:

Like, the modern point of contrast is "wagecucks" soooo

I never said I believed in a sympathetic explanation. It was more of a thought experiment, really.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

My asthma thing wasn't a joke, though. Industrialization and the resulting widespread air pollution has caused asthma rates to increase by literally a thousand times compared to what they were in ye olden tymes.

Yeah I realize, I just think that "there was less air pollution" is basically the same as saying "there were less car crashes" in that they're both trivially true and also fairly pointless metrics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I realize, I just think that "there was less air pollution" is basically the same as saying "there were less car crashes" in that they're both trivially true and also fairly pointless metrics

If our planet pulled its collective head out of its arse we probably could do a lot about reducing the pollution of the atmosphere, reducing asthma levels in the process.

Car crashes less so, although self-driving cars have tried, we've now learned that they make more effective communist revolutionaries with regards to what they do to rich peoples' necks.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The air quality inside houses heated by wood/coal stoves is...not the best.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

neonnoodle posted:

The air quality inside houses heated by wood/coal stoves is...not the best.

Didn't the first smog start showing up in England in the late medieval? And there's a lovely description of the inside of a peasants hut in pre-revolutionary Russia that talks about the air being visible ...

(Which doesn't refute the basic point - some maladies like asthma were largely bought on by modernisation. And we should fix them. But they're the few exceptions.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Not quite the Middle Ages, but the book A Midwife's Tale really opened my eyes to what daily life was like for regular folks in pre-modern America (late 18th century). It's based on the diary of a New England midwife and includes a wealth of detail on household economics, family dynamics, etc. Some of what I learned:

- Couples didn't commonly marry as virgins (or at all). They would court for a while and then "go to housekeeping," meaning set up a household together, generally during pregnancy. Presumably premarital sex was no big deal.
- Despite a firm division of labor between the sexes, women's position was not really subordinate: men worked outside the home and brought in money, while women ran the household, including budgeting, and also worked, usually bartering goods and services. (The midwife who kept the diary usually got paid in goods for her birthing services.)
- Childhood was really dangerous. I remember in particular reading about how many kids died from falling into the fireplace.
- "Childbed fever," or sepsis caused by unsanitary birthing conditions, was a common cause of death for women.
- The standard anesthetic for childbirth was rum, and lots of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pookel posted:

- The standard anesthetic for childbirth was rum, and lots of it.

So, not all bad then?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Do friend of the familys have souls? Are faggotry / transfaggotry / pedophilia “crosses to bear”, the bearing of which should win accolades for the pervert? Are interracial marriages sacred in the eyes of the Lᴏʀᴅ?

Romans 1 should forbid cuckstains from accepting the biologically implausible sexual orientation theory of faggotry. Instead, they are required to believe that faggots are given over by God to faggotry because they ignore the law that is written on their souls. But they accept the sexual orientation theory anyway.

The correct theory of faggotry is perverts jockeying for social status against each other, attempting sneak into female safe spaces, and other desperate measures. Faggotry is a sexual strategy, which, judging by the Kinsey report, is more successful than being a cuckstain beta.

It should be obvious that faggotry is a sexual strategy, considering that it is a behavioral strategy regarding sexuality. But there are a lot of cuckstains who think that not believing in explicit souls makes them smart but are too retarded or cowardly to take the next step and believe in things that exist, specifically, biology.

To the cuckstain, souls are created by Yahweh and inserted in bodies prepared by the parents. Any soul could be inserted into any body, thus it is absurd to treat individuals of other races as anything but individuals.

Some have moved beyond explicit souls, but continue to believe in the lottery of birth.

To the cuckstain, there is a duty to feed, house, and clothe all souls, beyond the duty to save souls by teaching them to be cuckstains.

Some have moved beyond explicit souls, but continue to believe in the duty to feed, house, clothe, and teach all humanoids.

To the cuckstain, all souls matter to Yahweh.

To the atheist cuckstain, all lives matter.

All lives do not matter.

I want to see the Trump vs. Sanders debate ended by Trump asking Sanders how many towers he has built.

I want to see community organizers mocked and layabout activists ignored out of hand.

I want a culture of building stuff, not signaling. To that end, I’m stuck signaling on the Internet, but, at least I’m an anonymous coward and even if the alt right wins I won’t be able to take credit for this without getting bogged for faggotry, right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Why do religions (and the bible I guess?) write Lᴏʀᴅ differently anyway, I was never steeped in religion and only ever viewed it from the outside and while I understand some parts that's always been a mystery

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also hasn't Trump built like, zero towers? He just cuts deals to put his name on existing construction projects, right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why do religions (and the bible I guess?) write Lᴏʀᴅ differently anyway, I was never steeped in religion and only ever viewed it from the outside and while I understand some parts that's always been a mystery

In most Christian traditions the bits where the bible does Lord in the funny font are where the original had Yahweh/Jehova. So it's a mixture of emphasising the God-ness of it, while also not actually saying the name of God

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In most Christian traditions the bits where the bible does Lord in the funny font are where the original had Yahweh/Jehova. So it's a mixture of emphasising the God-ness of it, while also not actually saying the name of God

Ohhhh that makes sense, thanks!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I'd doubt they'd make it a day, they'd probably piss off the wrong person since ~free speech means speech without consequences~ and be summarily executed right then and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAM3KG_Jwa4

i picture it looking alot like this. Loud yells of anger, the bargening, the pleading and the crying.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Curvature of Earth posted:

(source 1, source 2)

The world is a terrible place and I'm ashamed of my heritage just by association with this man.

The worst that would have happened to the Jews is that most would have been slaves rather than exterminated. :rolleye:

Edit: it took a second to click that this dude literally thinks Britain's declaration of war is what started the war.

Edit2: oh my god I was fifty pages from the end of the thread

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit2: oh my god I was fifty pages from the end of the thread

No, please, you're all encouraged to respond to my old posts.

Fake edit for content:

the alt-rightosphere is flipping its poo poo over the FBI not indicting Hillary Clinton. Thus demonstrating that, for all they hold themselves apart from the cuckservatives, they're lazy hacks who repeat the exact same talking points. (Like it or not, there was never any case against Hillary. Hillary's been constantly attacked by Republicans since she first showed up in DC in 1992. Two decades of the harshest scrutiny imaginable and her enemies still have bupkis to show for it.)

They're also complete drama queens with no sense of perspective. Even if Hillary bought off the FBI somehow (which she didn't) and even if she's illegally hiding her own malfeasance in her emails from the public (which she hasn't), that's peanuts compared to the Guilded Age. Neoreactionaries really are ignorant spoiled children.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Jul 6, 2016

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Oh, ClarkHat

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Don't most of these chucklefucks hate the Enlightenment anyway? Or are they more of a "Catherine Frederick-the-Great-style enlightened despots only" thing? Or am I just trying to impose consistency where none exists? It's the last one, isn't it.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

:psyduck:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Don't most of these chucklefucks hate the Enlightenment anyway? Or are they more of a "Catherine Frederick-the-Great-style enlightened despots only" thing? Or am I just trying to impose consistency where none exists? It's the last one, isn't it.

The Dark Enlightenment is still an Enlightenment. :colbert: Just, like, without light I guess.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I don't understand aren't neoreactionaries the cultural enemies of Cathedralist society? :confused: Unless Scott counts as a Prog now

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ClarkHat's twitter is a goldmine for absurd statements like that. It really deserves some digging into.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't understand aren't neoreactionaries the cultural enemies of Cathedralist society? :confused: Unless Scott counts as a Prog now

"We aren't an ideology, but we're only taking the 'good' parts of old ideologies."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Goon Danton posted:

depends on person to person it seems. some seem to think GoT style ruling would be best, Others just want a strong man system where all the "evils" of the world are put to the sword immediately. My Gf's ex was one of these dudes. apparently he was a walking contradictions of awfulness. ranting about feminism/blacks/ while beating off to MLP. plus he was emotinaly and sexualy abusive.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder if we can get the kerbal space program guys to demand he not use that avatar.

Because i was in the thread with the devs for a while and they're very reasonable nice people :3:

Also they're mexicans. The game was literally developed in mexico.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I wonder if we can get the kerbal space program guys to demand he not use that avatar.

Because i was in the thread with the devs for a while and they're very reasonable nice people :3:

Also they're mexicans. The game was literally developed in mexico.
Sorry to derail, but thanks for the info! I had no idea KSP wasn't an American-made game. It is excellent; my autistic 8-year-old goes through phases of obsession with it and periodically gives me lectures on rocketry using information he learned from KSP. :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Sorry to derail, but thanks for the info! I had no idea KSP wasn't an American-made game. It is excellent; my autistic 8-year-old goes through phases of obsession with it and periodically gives me lectures on rocketry using information he learned from KSP. :3:

Yeah the guys who make it (Squad) are based out of Mexico City and most of the team is there. They had a little help along the way from NASA (which is why there's SLS parts in the game) and I think employ some remote workers (one of the people who made incredibly good mods for the game was hired to make the mods part of the base game, for example) but otherwise it's a wholly Mexican production team.

e: And as someone who grew up around rocketry and pretends to know a lot about it, and who also goes through binge addiction periods with the game, I can safely say that it's the most accurate and educational game about killing little green men in horrible accidents I've ever played :v:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

pookel posted:

Oh my god, that is adorable. :kimchi: I've heard a lot about autistic kids really getting into Minecraft, and it helping them express themselves, too.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Curvature of Earth posted:

No, please, you're all encouraged to respond to my old posts.

Fake edit for content:

the alt-rightosphere is flipping its poo poo over the FBI not indicting Hillary Clinton. Thus demonstrating that, for all they hold themselves apart from the cuckservatives, they're lazy hacks who repeat the exact same talking points. (Like it or not, there was never any case against Hillary. Hillary's been constantly attacked by Republicans since she first showed up in DC in 1992. Two decades of the harshest scrutiny imaginable and her enemies still have bupkis to show for it.)

They're also complete drama queens with no sense of perspective. Even if Hillary bought off the FBI somehow (which she didn't) and even if she's illegally hiding her own malfeasance in her emails from the public (which she hasn't), that's peanuts compared to the Guilded Age. Neoreactionaries really are ignorant spoiled children.

So as someone who's not American with a mostly cursory knowledge of the current presidential campaigns, what's the deal with siccing the FBI on Hillary?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

So as someone who's not American with a mostly cursory knowledge of the current presidential campaigns, what's the deal with siccing the FBI on Hillary?

She made extensive use of her private e-mail server for work when she was in the State Department, thanks to the US government's incredibly primitive IT system. This could have been a potentially troublesome security breach, so the Republicans jumped on it with a full federal investigation. The investigation found that what she'd done was irresponsible, and would probably warrant a nasty talking-to and maybe some docked pay if your boss caught you at it, but wasn't criminal. Right-wingers promptly flipped their poo poo at a government cover-up of Crooked Hillary's crimes.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

pookel posted:

That is awesome and adorable. I love it when video games can reach out to kids like that. :3:

a cartoon duck posted:

What Darth Walrus said, but the reason that they "jumped in with a full federal investigation" was basically because they've been scared of Hillary since the early 2000s, and they've directed nearly as much hate towards her as Barack in a desperate attempt to make her not viable as a candidate in this election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Darth Walrus posted:

She made extensive use of her private e-mail server for work when she was in the State Department, thanks to the US government's incredibly primitive IT system. This could have been a potentially troublesome security breach, so the Republicans jumped on it with a full federal investigation. The investigation found that what she'd done was irresponsible, and would probably warrant a nasty talking-to and maybe some docked pay if your boss caught you at it, but wasn't criminal. Right-wingers promptly flipped their poo poo at a government cover-up of Crooked Hillary's crimes.

And all of that was just a spin-off of the Republicans' other investigations into a terrorist attack in Benghazi that killed four Americans, where they were bound and determined to prove Hillary had done some unspecified Bad Thing. This also went through a thousand investigations, and the final report on those recently dropped and said she did nothing wrong.