Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Krogort posted:

You can bet that the Scharnhorst is going to be a borderline OP T7 premium.
Of course, nothing to do with ranked battles being lowered to T7.

They need Scharnhorst for the tree though, unless they can't get it to work properly, otherwise it makes the Versailles-sized hole in the middle between Bayern and Bismarck even larger. It's being tested like a premium, but there are two of the same tier 4 battleship in the files too, so one of those is meant to be premium and one is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

They need Scharnhorst for the tree though, unless they can't get it to work properly, otherwise it makes the Versailles-sized hole in the middle between Bayern and Bismarck even larger. It's being tested like a premium, but there are two of the same tier 4 battleship in the files too, so one of those is meant to be premium and one is not.

I thought there were separate Scharnhorst and Gneisenau ships, with one being a premium and the other not.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

I thought there were separate Scharnhorst and Gneisenau ships, with one being a premium and the other not.

Scharnhorst is the lead ship and class namesake, should be the tree one, same as how the fjord queen is the premium even though Bismarck was more famous.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

I think the Warspite is a good ship in general that gets poo poo on if it's facing mostly tier VIII BBs. You don't have the range, armor, or speed to deal with Amagis and NCs unless the map lets you hide behind islands.

Bottom tier on Ocean? gg, wp.

True, but that goes for drat near everyone though too. Ocean is just the worst, unless you are in a IJN destroyer and then its party town.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Flint gets smoke generator btw :stare:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Scharnhorst is the lead ship and class namesake, should be the tree one, same as how the fjord queen is the premium even though Bismarck was more famous.

There's some people who call it the Gneisenau class because it was laid down first and commissioned first. Bismarck had all 3 before Tirpitz IIRC.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What will be more interesting to see is whether the Gneisenaus get their planned 15" refit as an upgrade. Because, uh, running around with 11" guns at tier 7 is going to be...interesting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

What will be more interesting to see is whether the Gneisenaus get their planned 15" refit as an upgrade. Because, uh, running around with 11" guns at tier 7 is going to be...interesting.

If wikipedia is to be believed, it has a 3.5 rpm on those 11" guns, making it effectively a massively overgunned and overarmored cruiser.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

They should totally just do the L 20 alpha.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Out of 10 games tonight, a single win. I don't think I've ever seen teams just throw away games like this before, its far worse then any bonus weekend. All I wanted was enough money to buy my new Fuso and the B hull.

Then a game like this happens, this was the most lopsided game in recent memory.

So each team gets 4 tier 7s: We get 3 Pensacolas and a Hiryu, they get a Nagato, Myoko, Ranger and a Mahan. We get 0 tier 6s, they get 5. We get 7 tier 5s, they get 3.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 6, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I finally got impatient last night and threw most of my free xp into finally unlocking the Furrytaco. I don't quite have the silver to fully equip it yet, but I'm wondering if there's any reason whatsoever to keep the Kuma.

I've got enough premiums to play to earn the silver, so that's not the concern, but despite the Kuma being a ~good ship~ (TM), I can't see why I wouldn't just play the everloving gently caress out of the Furutaka now instead.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Then a game like this happens, this was the most lopsided game in recent memory.

So each team gets 4 tier 7s: We get 3 Pensacolas and a Hiryu, they get a Nagato, Myoko, Ranger and a Mahan. We get 0 tier 6s, they get 5. We get 7 tier 5s, they get 3.

Well the good news is that bullshit matchups like this shouldn't happen in the 0.5.8 MM.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I think they deliberately made the lower tier bbs terrible to force more people into cruisers and destroyers. If you can survive the slog up to the Colorado the game will slowly get better, but once you unlock the North Carolina you'll realize just how lovely every ship before that really is.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've got enough premiums to play to earn the silver, so that's not the concern, but despite the Kuma being a ~good ship~ (TM), I can't see why I wouldn't just play the everloving gently caress out of the Furutaka now instead.

Seal-clubbing, and because the Furutaka onwards are very different from the earlier IJN cruisers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The patch properly broke the extended tree mod, so I'm gonna have to wait for Aslain to fix it before I can see the stats for the new ships :mad:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

The patch properly broke the extended tree mod, so I'm gonna have to wait for Aslain to fix it before I can see the stats for the new ships :mad:
Aslain doesn't fix mods, he just distributes them :colbert:

And extended tree mods break every time they add new ships to the patch anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

Aslain doesn't fix mods, he just distributes them :colbert:

And extended tree mods break every time they add new ships to the patch anyway.

Pretty sure he writes that particular mod himself, plus he makes an icon mod, and a player panel mod.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure he writes that particular mod himself, plus he makes an icon mod, and a player panel mod.
Oh wait I forgot about him making mods too!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

He needs to fix it because I need to see Scharnhorst and Kaiser asap :f5:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

He needs to fix it because I need to see Scharnhorst and Kaiser asap :f5:
https://imgur.com/g9PfMoe

Shamelessly copying link of my older version tool.

Gun is 3X3 btw. You can view more stats if you want to bother using my newer version tool. https://github.com/BlindNImpotent/WoWS-Ship-Stats-Calculator/releases/tag/v0.10-alpha

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 6, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So how are you going to punch someone's belt with the Scharnhorst? In Steel Ocean it's got insane ahistorical penetration because that's the entire German gun gimmick (great range and pen, good fire rate, terrible damage) but won't the 11 inch guns kinda falter in this?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow it really is a giant cruiser with those guns. Great turret speed and reload though. Seems like it'd play way differently than other BBs, in that you probably aren't going to get any citadels on same tier BBs with it, but you should do ruinous damage just punching through superstructures and fore/aft unarmored parts.

That rudder shift is so bad though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's got faster turret rotation than the Pensacola, Myoko, and Yorck, and has higher muzzle velocity than Pensacola and Myoko, even with 20s reload it's gonna be pretty good at wrecking cruisers.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Funny the Kaiser was a BB6 in navy field.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

https://imgur.com/g9PfMoe

Shamelessly copying link of my older version tool.

Gun is 3X3 btw. You can view more stats if you want to bother using my newer version tool. https://github.com/BlindNImpotent/WoWS-Ship-Stats-Calculator/releases/tag/v0.10-alpha

So Black is definitely the Fletcher-class USS Black then, but what they plan to do with a tier 9 premium I don't know

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I've been scratching my space itch with Elite Dangerous, but I'm looking forward to the German bb line dropping.

I'm not missing ranked, though. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what's holding them up so on introing the Royal Navy? Is it just that they can't think of meaningful gameplay differences for them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Night10194 posted:

So, what's holding them up so on introing the Royal Navy? Is it just that they can't think of meaningful gameplay differences for them?

They have a limit on staff size, there's a limit to what each person can do per day, and some bright spark elected to make the introduction and completion of the Soviet tree a greater priority. Royal Navy is due end of year.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I heard there was some difficulty with getting access to the armor layouts and plans for the RN ships.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

I heard there was some difficulty with getting access to the armor layouts and plans for the RN ships.

That's the official excuse, but it's not the real reason.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

So Black is definitely the Fletcher-class USS Black then, but what they plan to do with a tier 9 premium I don't know

I'd bet it's going to be a reward ship of some sort, the question is what for?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'd guess ranked after getting the Flint.

Ghetto Prince posted:

I think they deliberately made the lower tier bbs terrible to force more people into cruisers and destroyers. If you can survive the slog up to the Colorado the game will slowly get better, but once you unlock the North Carolina you'll realize just how lovely every ship before that really is.
Smdh at calling the New Mexico lovely

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

"Make shitloads of money" would be my guess.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
We'll see with the German line, but as it stands right now I think there are only really 4 actually bad battleships. The tier 3's, the myogi, and the izumo. All the others if you play them to their strengths are actually pretty playable right now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Gorau posted:

We'll see with the German line, but as it stands right now I think there are only really 4 actually bad battleships. The tier 3's, the myogi, and the izumo. All the others if you play them to their strengths are actually pretty playable right now.

The izumo's actually not that bad once its fully upgraded though I'll admit I didn't have to suffer through the god awful shells that used to come with the A hull. The biggest problem with the izumo is actually the yamato, which can citadel it from any direction.

You can actually bully iowas if you go bow on to them.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The Yamato is the big problem of every other high tier BB, nothing you can really do against one unless he gently caress up big time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not a fan of the Wyoming/Arkansas Beta goofy turret arcs in back, and it's got none too hot accuracy, but your competition is the Myogi so just loving LOL. If you get in close enough to negated getting RNG dispersion hosed it pukes out so many shells that you're practically guaranteed one shot dunks all over the place.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's only going to be one good tier 3 battleship, and that's going to be Dreadnought

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Well, this should help on this old discussion from earlier:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/de-battleships-teaser/

The Kaiser is the tree tier 4 bb, the other named kaiser will be a premium. The scharnhorst is also a true premium as its sister is the tree, Gneisenau.

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not a fan of the Wyoming/Arkansas Beta goofy turret arcs in back, and it's got none too hot accuracy, but your competition is the Myogi so just loving LOL. If you get in close enough to negated getting RNG dispersion hosed it pukes out so many shells that you're practically guaranteed one shot dunks all over the place.

Actually, there is one other ship in the competition for tier 4. The Imperator Nikolai. Nothing pisses off other tier 4 BBs as much as pointing bow on to them and still super firing 9 guns of white hot stalin pride.

Edit: does anyone have info on the tier 9 and 10 ships? Quick google search comes up with names of old konig and kaiser class vessels of WW1. I can't imagine those are considered better than the bismark several tiers after the original kaiser and konig is worked through. I'm assuming these are paper designs used. However, now I'm curious why the old name and not ersatz as is normally used when reusing a ship name in the german navy.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

There's only going to be one good tier 3 battleship, and that's going to be Dreadnought

Why would it be good? Same 4 turret broadside, just a very little bit less slow.