Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

cheese posted:

This is definitely pre-permit but its still awful. I have never understood Half Dome. I know its got crazy name recognition, but I'm not even sure its a top 5 hike in Yosemite. If you want crazy panorama views, go on to Cloud's Rest and get a better view (it looks DOWN on Half Dome in the distance) with 1/10th the people.

Just as a matter of personal preference, what are the top five? I've done cloud's rest, half dome, and yosemite falls, and attempted the north rim, and each time have run into the same issue: Yosemite has some of the greatest vistas in the world, but the trails in between range from boring to miserable. When I hike through SEKI, the Grand Canyon, or most comparatively, Zion, I feel immersed in natural wonders every step of the way. When it comes to Yosemite, in between the waterfalls and lookouts, I feel like I may as well be hiking in Lassen. What are the standouts that will make me actually able to appreciate things outside the valley floor?

(I'm sure I've asked this before, but we've had a crazy string of bad luck when it comes to Yosemite)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
everything on the costco list has some degree of compromise (except those trekking poles) but for the price it's all great gear. ex paradox baselayer is great but doesn't have a fly. us mil surplus polartecs have armpit zips, full zip and elastic cuffs but weigh a touch more and cost over twice as much as the costco. hardware isn't the best on the down jackets but a 650 fill with appreciably better hardware is going to be like $100; its better than uniqlo for cheaper. hammock over/under quilts require diy.

i use a lot of it as spares for friends and stuff. for instance i have a bunch of the fleeces for when you're going on a winter hike with someone and "oh, you don't have midlayer that isn't cotton?"

anyone know any cool stuff to check out around dry falls/grand coulee wa? was going to take my friend out that way since he's never seen either, but it would be cool to check out something i haven't seen while i'm making the trip.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 26, 2016

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Just as a matter of personal preference, what are the top five?

What are the standouts that will make me actually able to appreciate things outside the valley floor?

Personally, I'd put Cathedral Lakes and Glen Aulin in my top 5, and they're not in the valley. Sunrise and Merced Lakes are awesome also. There are a ton of trails I haven't done though; the park is huge.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

i like the socks because they're really warm in the winter, but i wear through the heels on about 5-6 pairs a year. i've never worn through a darn tough sock and they see more wear from me year round. still very good socks, can't beat them for $3 a pair.

other good costco stuff:

cascade mountain tech trekking poles
cheap yaktrax (for friends, family, and casuals, winter seasonal)
$20 trailrunners (for friends, family, and casuals)
paradox winter baselayer
$20 polartec fleeces (winter)
$20 hawk&co 650 fill down vests (winter seasonal)
$40? hawk&co 650 fill down jackets (winter seasonal)
$40? down throw blankets (winter, modifiable into hammock quilts)

Also, Costco frequently has 3-packs of those non-cotton Adidas 6" boxer briefs for like $15 which is an absolute a steal for briefs that are just as good as the ones UnderArmour sells for $20 a pair.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I plan to start doing overnight trips this fall, and I'm trying to put together a minimum shopping list for gear. The big ticket item will probably be the backpack. What's a budget-conscious pack big enough for overnights (maaaaybe two nights) that isn't, like, Wal-Mart tier quality? I don't have access to Costco or any of the shopping club stores.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Time Cowboy posted:

I plan to start doing overnight trips this fall, and I'm trying to put together a minimum shopping list for gear. The big ticket item will probably be the backpack. What's a budget-conscious pack big enough for overnights (maaaaybe two nights) that isn't, like, Wal-Mart tier quality? I don't have access to Costco or any of the shopping club stores.

Look for used gear. Craiglist, Ebay, Goodwills, REI garage sales etc. You can find some amazing deals out there on used gear. If you are planning on 2-3 night trips you'll want to look at something in the 40-60L range, depending on how much you plan on bringing, and the quality (size and weight) of your other gear. As someone who is starting out I would make sure you focus on getting one nice quality used item at a time and slowly build up your amount of gear.

As for specific recommendations, REI brand packs are actually quite good for the price. Old Osprey, Kelty, and Gregory packs are fairly common and hold up well. If you want to go super cheap/durable look for old external frame hunting packs and just strap a duffelbag to the sucker and get moving. I did that for a long time and it works OK.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I'm looking to go backpacking in the north west US sometime in the next few months. It's one of the regions I haven't hiked yet. Any recommendations for the best place to go in Washington or Oregon?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Well heck. This one has a limited lifetime warranty and it gets you 40L for $25. It won't be glorious, but as long as it doesn't rip open and leave you to die in the wilderness, how wrong can you go for $25? You did just say overnight, right?

EDIT: yeah, look for quality used gear, but if all else fails...

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

taco_fox posted:

I'm looking to go backpacking in the north west US sometime in the next few months. It's one of the regions I haven't hiked yet. Any recommendations for the best place to go in Washington or Oregon?

An outdoorsperson coming to the PNW without visiting Mt Rainier is like an art lover going to Paris and skipping the Louvre.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Anyone remember Casey Nocket?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Yeah, Mt Rainier NP was my first choice, but their trail conditions page says there's still a lot of damaged trails from winter storms. I wanted to get some other options

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

taco_fox posted:

Yeah, Mt Rainier NP was my first choice, but their trail conditions page says there's still a lot of damaged trails from winter storms. I wanted to get some other options

Olympic NF is nice.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

taco_fox posted:

If you want more dramatic mountains go to the North Cascades. If you want more landscape variety and more wildlife-viewing opportunities go to the Olympics.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Glad to see she was caught and banned.

Also for the poster who was looking into getting new gear. I'd say that in order of gear that makes your life easier go tent, bag, pack. If you get a nice tent and bag you shave enough weight and bulk that you could probably get away with a poo poo pack for a while.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Thanks for the cheap pack suggestions! I browsed my local Craigslist a little bit -- I should probably make that part of my routine, in case a good deal comes up -- but that $25 Wal-Mart pack is seriously tempting. I've had poo poo luck with their daypacks, but hey, I'd only go on a few overnight trips a year for the next couple years, so $25 for something that could last me a couple years isn't so bad, even if Ozark Trail gear is garbage overall.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Just as a matter of personal preference, what are the top five? I've done cloud's rest, half dome, and yosemite falls, and attempted the north rim, and each time have run into the same issue: Yosemite has some of the greatest vistas in the world, but the trails in between range from boring to miserable. When I hike through SEKI, the Grand Canyon, or most comparatively, Zion, I feel immersed in natural wonders every step of the way. When it comes to Yosemite, in between the waterfalls and lookouts, I feel like I may as well be hiking in Lassen. What are the standouts that will make me actually able to appreciate things outside the valley floor?

(I'm sure I've asked this before, but we've had a crazy string of bad luck when it comes to Yosemite)
I'm not really sure I understand the question. Yosemite is a very different park than Zion or Grand Canyon, and yes, a lot of trails that lead to something awesome spend a lot of time hiking in somewhat generic High Sierra country (sometimes with a limited or non existent view). I think you might enjoy some of the trails that are further out from the valley, which buys you both increased seclusion (there is a huge drop off in numbers of people once you get away from the valley). Basically anything that stars off from the Tuolumne Meadows area is going to be better. Still, you really are not going to get the "walking for hours with amazing things all around you constantly" that Zion gives.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Time Cowboy posted:

Minimum list of gear and in what I would consider order of importance. Do you have a specific budget you're trying to keep under or just as low as possible? Brand new could cost anywhere from $300 to $600 for entry level to mid grade stuff.

Sleeping bag
Tent
Backpack

Sleeping bag will keep you warm at night and the size can determine how much space you need in your backpack. A cheap synthetic sleeping bag will likely be heavier and much bulkier. I would try to aim for a synthetic 20 degree bag depending on where you are and where you plan to go. 20 degrees offers a lot in the way of flexibility. You can sleep with it open on warmer nights and get near freezing temps comfortably in shoulder seasons in much of the country. Synthetic is cheaper than down and often functions better if it gets wet but it is heavier and bulkier. I'm not opposed to used gear but sleeping bags are one of those things I prefer to buy new. You have no idea how or if someone cared for that sleeping bag. Kelty Cosmic down 21 is a nice entry level down bag for around $160. Marmot trestles and North Face Cats Meow 22 are nice entry level synthetic bags for around $120. Aim for under 3lbs.

A tent provides you shelter. Not a big deal if its sunny and warm all weekend but a game changer if the weather decides to poo poo on you with buckets of rain or some snow. Look for a 2-person 3-season tent to get you started. Try to stay under 5 lbs total. Kelty and REI both make great entry level tents that can be found on sale between $100 and $150. Used tents arent usually bad either. Just make sure they have all the pieces, and no obvious tears or rips in the fabric. Also, functioning zippers. Kelty has a few 2 person tents around $100-140. REI has the passage 2 and half dome around $150-200

Backpacks are probably the easiest thing to find used. Lots of people go backpacking (traveling europe, not the wilderness) in college and convince their parents to buy them $250 backpacks from REI. You can find those second hand very easily on craigslist and ebay. The big thing with packs is fit. Most newer packs have a lot of adjustability but they often come in small and large sizes at the very least. Look for something thats around 60L. It will be really versatile meaning that it can pack down fairly small when you dont have a ton of gear, but will be able to carry quite a bit when fully loaded. Mountainsmith and Kelty are some nice entry level backpacks which can be had around $100-150. Osprey is really nice though but they typically run above $200.

For real though, look on craigslist locally if possible. You can find some amazing deals. Some Play it again sports have used hiking/backpacking stuff as well. I have a store locally called Second Ascent which has a lot of used hiking/backpacking stuff but I'm also in Seattle where hiking is as popular as brunch everywhere else.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Try the Four Mile trail + Panorama trail. You will encounter crowds at Glacier Point, but beyond that the views are worth it.

View from Panorama Trail

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Time Cowboy posted:

Shoot me a PM, I have an Osprey in the 40l range I want rid of. It's a little too small for me for 2-4 nights but too big for long day hikes. I have used it for maybe 5-6 trips and will be pretty reasonable about price. I am out of town until next week so will need a reminder.

On this topic, whats the best way to wash a pack? Mine isn't super dirty, but it would be nice to get the sweat out of it before I sell it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Wash it in your bathtub with some tech wash stuff maybe? I don't think you need to scrub it or anything but agitating it around and thoroughly rinsing it is probably good enough to get out most of the dirt and sweat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

taco_fox posted:

Washington has a lot to offer. Olympic NP is cool but they do get a lot of rain and trails get hosed over the winter. There's actually a really good article in backpacker magazine about working on a trail crew there and apparently it's in a state of constant repair. It's beautiful though. Mt Ranier is also awesome and they did away with reserved permit systems so it's first come first serve which kind of sucks for traveling though. North cascades NP is beautiful and dramatic. Pasayten wilderness was recommended to me by this very thread and it was awesome as you're in national wilderness rather than national park so the rules are more relaxed and it's much less crowded. We saw 2 people in the 4 days we were out there, required no reservations and cost like $5 to park.

Tips on car rental. If you rent a car at the airport (seatac) you are going to pay out of the rear end for it as they have high rates to compensate for winter months where they don't get as many reservations.

When we did our trip a few years ago, the car at seatac was looking to cost around $400. Take the light rail north a few stops to get a better deal. We went to a budget rental and paid half as much as the same company's airport location.

I ended up just moving here and I don't regret it for a second. Although I do miss food in Chicago.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MMD3 posted:

nice, how were the crowds?

Not bad. The switchbacks were worse. :) Here are a couple shots from up there.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Time Cowboy posted:

rei backpacks are actually pretty decent, they improved a bunch of the models this year too. they're regularly on sale as well. i use an rei flash 22 for most 1-nighters.

check zenstoves.net and there are numerous ultralight ultracheap cooksets out there. cotton bandana + ti spork + diy alcohol stove/stand + aluminum foil lid and windscreen + stanco grease pot would be a good sub-$20 setup.

stalk woot outdoor sales and pick up things as they pop up. thrift stores and box stores like walmart and target for baselayer clothing. go with a cheap fleece midlayer until you feel like splurging on something nicer. stalk sierratradingpost for when marmot precip rain shells go on sale or good coupon codes. buy last year's trailrunners; boots are a splurge item because cheap ones suck. if you're feeling brave there's some seriously good deals on basic stuff on aliexpress/fasttech/dealextreme and other chinese sellers. $1 fire starters sign me up.

sawyer mini's don't cost much. polarized sunglasses can be had for under $10. cheap compasses suck and it's worth the splurge for a $10-15 one.

biggest spends will be your tent/tarptent/hammock setup -> puffy jacket -> rain shell -> backpack. everything else can be had for cheap.

finding deals requires patience and creativity but at the end of the day my entire 4 season ultralight camping setup cost me under $400 including splurge items and winter hiking specialty stuff. all i'm missing at this point is a hammock suspension/tarp/quilts because i've decided ground sleeping sucks in my climate.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The car is all loaded up. In 45 minutes, we're starting the 9 hour drive to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. We should get there around sunrise and grab the high point of Texas. Looks to be a good weekend.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

REI has a house brand down jacket that's 650 fill and only cost 48 bucks. I ordered one earlier this week and it just arrived today. It has pretty decent reviews and is built way better than the Uniqlo jacket (which is actually more expensive). Should be a good three-season jacket as well as a good layer for winter.

Strap wise I'm a huge fan of cinch buckles. I personally have the litespeed straps by wildhorn. It does weigh in a bit at 14 ounces but I could probably trim down the 11' straps some to save weight. It cost twenty-five bucks, but you could build it yourself for half that. Either way it takes 30 seconds to set up a hammock with less fuss than Atlas straps and less dangling cordage than whoopie slings.

e. a word

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 1, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hah, forgot about stoves. I went on a big diy stove kick last fall, if you want a small box of my various prototypes let me know. I am sure my gf would love them gone.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hungryjack posted:

The car is all loaded up. In 45 minutes, we're starting the 9 hour drive to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. We should get there around sunrise and grab the high point of Texas. Looks to be a good weekend.
Oh to be young again :allears:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Guest2553 posted:

REI has a house brand down jacket that's 650 fill and only cost 48 bucks. I ordered one earlier this week and it just arrived today. It has pretty decent reviews and is built way better than the Uniqlo jacket (which is actually more expensive). Should be a good three-season jacket as well as a good layer for winter.

that's a sale price, they're usually $100. Solid jackets though, they're probably the cheapest down jackets that I would actually trust for outdoor stuff. Even if the fill and shell is the same, the hardware is just worlds better than uniqlo.

rei revelclouds are also on sale right now for $60 and they're even better. hardware's nicer than the co-op down jackets (waist cinch, elastic cuffs) and its a synthetic fill similar to a thermoball. sadly, only the jackets are on sale though. i have a hoodie and it's amazingly versatile.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 1, 2016

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Question for Coloragoons...I'm going to be out in Denver for six weeks in Aug/Sept for the very first time, and given the wealth of options for hiking I want to make sure I hit the highlights while I'm out there. Any recommendations?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Texas is oppressively hot in July, who knew? Still pretty though and luckily breezy. Couple of shots from Pedernales Falls and Enchanted Rock this weekend. Found the cave at Enchanted Rock but my headlamp was starting to die so I didn't get a chance to navigate through. Would have been fun though.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 5, 2016

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've recently gone on a bit of a spending spree.
Last week I recieved two new Lowe Alpine backpacks.
Today just recieved my new Mountain Hardwear Optic Vue 2.5 tent in the mail today.
I had to replace my ageing Sojourn 2, as the glue had failed on the windows and it had multiple tears in the fabric.
It's nice to get a new tent. :)

Tomorrow a couple of nice insulated inflatable sleeping mats from JR Gear should hopefully arrive. Gone are the days of uncomfortable sleep, hopefully. :ohdear:
Thankfully we're two for carrying, as this stuff isnt exactly ultralight.

The biggest hurdle is actually getting all the stuff to fit in our packs, when all we have for sleeping bags are old army stuff that takes up half the pack, for little actual warmth.
I've read that down bags are really great, so maybe I should look that way, whenever I get a little money again, as surely I've spent way too much on all this stuff by now.

Fake edit: ^^^^^^ Those are some nice views. We dont get anything like that here in Denmark. A good excuse to get out and see the world I suppose.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Texas is oppressively hot in July, who knew?

I knew :) How crowded was E-Rock? I love that place like crazy, but it's getting drat near impossible to find anything approaching solitude out there. Still, more people means more money for the park and they are trying very hard to find the balance between preservation and accessibility. Pedernales is pretty wonderful too. Nothing like a cool dip on a hot day. Have you been out to Colorado Bend state park? Miles and miles of trails, cave tours, a zipline, a cool river, a waterfall, and a cold spring. It's a great park for hot summer days.

Hey, speaking of hot Texas days, we just got home from our own camping/hiking trip in Texas. We shot out to Guadalupe Mountains National Park on an overnight drive on Thursday night.

cheese posted:

Oh to be young again :allears:

I'm 42 this year and that poo poo kicked my rear end, but at least we didn't lose a day driving! We still did the 9-mile round trip to Guadalupe Peak with it's million switchbacks and 3000' of elevation gain. I actually nodded off during one of our shady rest stops. But our reward was to have the peak to ourselves while we were up there and it wasn't until we saw distant storm clouds approaching that we beat a hasty retreat. Right around the top of the mountain, there were tens of thousands of ladybugs congregating and doing whatever it is that tens of thousands of ladybugs do. That was pretty neat.

(Ladybug orgy)

(Looking down on El Capitan from just below the summit of Guadalupe Peak)

(There's a big aluminum obelisk at the top of the peak. A little weird, but eh, it is what it is. Still felt good to get up there.)

We opened up the old ammo box to sign the high point guest register and found that some helpful hiker has left a lighter and a couple nugs inside the book for the next guy. I decided to return the favor and leave a chocolate brownie bar for the next guy after he lights them up.)

(Please don't molest the rattlesnakes)

Let me tell you there's nothing quite like a strenuous day of hiking under a hot Texas sun after one hour of sleep in the car the night before to put you in a deep hammock coma for 10 hours once the sun goes down. The full belly and the beer before bed helped, I'm sure.

(Hot days and cold beers)

(Sunrise in the desert)

The next day it was overcast when we started and that was really helpful as we made the 3000' climb up to Hunter's Peak, which is supposedly the best view in the park. I can't really argue with that assessment because in front of us was a huge drop off to the valley floor below and behind us was the forested bowl where three different mountains dip into a low area. One of these days, I want to do some back country camping up there, but this time, we relegated ourselves to long day hikes.

(I hiked my hammock up to the ridge and had a quick hang while we had lunch up there)

(Love me some switchbacks. I can't wait to hit these at Mt. Whitney next month)

(Lots of scrub and lots of sand in the high desert, but while it was over 100 down in the valley, it never topped 90 in the heat of the day at altitude. Nights were comfortable in the upper 60s with a light breeze through the night. Perfect hammock weather)

(I've been told agave plants can wait 20 years to store up energy and when they grow that stalk, they can grow up over 12" in a day)

On Sunday, when the temps in the lowlands below us reached well over 100 degrees, we decided to go even lower, as in underground. We hit Carlsbad Caverns and for me it was the first time in over 25 years to go down there. It's always an amazing journey and hey, I got another two miles of hiking in.

(Stalagmites and poo poo)

We rolled out around 7am Monday morning and got home about 10 hours later just in time to throw in some laundry, watch a firework or two, and crash out for the night.

(This is the vast majority of what you see out on the highway in west Texas)

(Sometimes you see other stuff)

Trail nerd

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Looking at picking up some hiking shoes, does anyone want to chime in on getting either the north face hedgehog fast track GTX or the north face ultra 109 GTX? They are 2 of the shoes I'm looking at and seem fairly similar excepting the tread pattern.

I'm solely looking at using it for day hikes with maybe some trail running, which both these shoes seem to provide being light, flexible and waterproof.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

So this weekend I went on my first ever hike! My wife has always wanted me to get in to hiking but I have always insisted that I wouldn't like it and that I am far too out of shape to ever hike. Well it turns out I was able to do an easy hike pretty ok and lived to tell the tale, but more to the point I actually had fun and enjoyed getting to take in the scenery and being out in nature! It wasn't the longest or most difficult hike in the world, its Rancheria Falls up in Sierra National Forest, its about 1.6 miles and 213 feet rise in elevation. I was a little winded when we started out because all of the up hill walking is front loaded all at the beginning, but I was able to finish it with minimal stopping and did the whole thing back with no stops at all. I realize that for most people this is a hike that could be done with their eyes closed, but I am a 325 lb man, and while I am agile for my size, athletic I am not!

But I had a ton of fun, and I have been recently trying to shed weight and get in to shape so I don't drop dead at a young age, so between regular exercise and the hiking, I am hoping to spend the second half of 2016 losing a decent amount of weight. My wife and I have already planned to go on another and slightly longer hike in 2 weeks, we are going to check out Taft Point in Yosemite. Maybe another short hike if we have time after driving up and doing that hike, might as well make the most of the time we have while we are there!

Anyways, here are some pictures!!!

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Excellent! Don't get discouraged if you find yourself gassing out on more rigorous trails. As long as you're properly equipped and making safety a priority, you're not a NFW.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

I knew How crowded was E-Rock? I love that place like crazy, but it's getting drat near impossible to find anything approaching solitude out there. Still, more people means more money for the park and they are trying very hard to find the balance between preservation and accessibility. Pedernales is pretty wonderful too. Nothing like a cool dip on a hot day. Have you been out to Colorado Bend state park? Miles and miles of trails, cave tours, a zipline, a cool river, a waterfall, and a cold spring. It's a great park for hot summer days.

Yea there was a decent crowd but of course it was also the 4th so people were out. I think I had read that they'll close the park for a couple of hours once they hit capacity in order to keep the crowds down but it wasn't nearly at that point.

Haven't been to Colorado Bend but after looking at it, it is definitely on the list. Cave tours sounds awesome.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Any recommendations for sleeping pads for side sleepers?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was going to say Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core, but it looks like they have a newer model. Big Agnes Q-Core SLX Sleeping Pad.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A few weeks back made it to Grayson Highlands area in SW Virginia. Our own local taste of Colorado.

I went pretty light, and the weather was perfect but I forgot my spoon. In all I did mostly AT and some side trails, starting and ending in Grindstone Campground.

Top of Mt Rogers, highest point in the state, but no views.

This little rear end in a top hat kept biting and kicking my tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Thanks for reminding me about Big Agnes. I just submitted a warranty repair/replacement claim on my two oak street inflatable pads that went out on me last September.