Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

This is kind of what I'm aiming for. I just don't know if the $880CDN price tag is worth that trade off for now.

I did exactly this. It was nice getting rid of SLI.

I got lucky with rebates and reselling the bundled games though and essentially paid $150~ to "rent" both 970s for a year. Could have been even less but I wanted a copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

GP100 is already out and stacking high-margin bills, no?

Yep, supposedly the $129,000 DGX-1 systems have been shipping since May. General release of the standalone PCI-E version isn't until Q4 2016 though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Wrar posted:

14nm seems like a poo poo node for everyone. I'm glad I'm not in any hurry to upgrade anything.

Good. More time for me to save up $$ because going to high capacity PCI-E storage is going to cost nearly as much as a decent graphics card.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can't wait for the Titan P to cost £3,000.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if the rumors are true and the Titan P is going to be spec'd with 16 gigs of HBM2, what would the cost be in memory alone? I thought HBM2 was still ridiculously expensive.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Chuu posted:

So if the rumors are true and the Titan P is going to be spec'd with 16 gigs of HBM2, what would the cost be in memory alone? I thought HBM2 was still ridiculously expensive.

I keep hearing it actually costs less to make its just this initial R&D rampup period that costs more, but that should fall off... should...

Also lol at AMD's fix but at least its far, far better to overdraw on the PSU and will probably just result in a few more PSU sales. Vertical integration!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
So how long will it be before they have Radeon branded power supplies to go along with Radeon branded memory and Radeon branded SSDs?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Chuu posted:

I thought those rumors said 12GBs HBM2?

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I keep hearing it actually costs less to make its just this initial R&D rampup period that costs more, but that should fall off... should...

Also lol at AMD's fix but at least its far, far better to overdraw on the PSU and will probably just result in a few more PSU sales. Vertical integration!

The cost of using HBM2 is mostly in the interposer actually, and decreased durability of the ASIC due to increased sensitivity to pressure. AMD's hope with Navi appears to be a massive cost reduction of the interposer, not really HBM2.

Based on previous AMD claims of power efficiency (x2.5/x2.0/x1.7), Polaris 10 was projected to be a 110W part, then samples came back and they revised downward to ~135W and they began designing boards for production. Apparently quality at GloFo is horrendous so they had to ramp the voltage up to hit their performance target, and went out of spec to 160W after most boards had been designed.

This left them with less headroom than they originally intended for performance and thus they had to revise MSRP downward as well. Maybe the RX480 was supposed to match or even slightly beat the 980 @ 250$ (custom would be 275-300$) and have enough headroom to catch a Fury X, but that's not what GloFo gave AMD.

PBCrunch posted:

So how long will it be before they have Radeon branded power supplies to go along with Radeon branded memory and Radeon branded SSDs?

In a stunning turn of events, AMD (somehow) buys Raidmax!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FaustianQ posted:

I thought those rumors said 12GBs HBM2?

The cost of using HBM2 is mostly in the interposer actually, and decreased durability of the ASIC due to increased sensitivity to pressure. AMD's hope with Navi appears to be a massive cost reduction of the interposer, not really HBM2.

Based on previous AMD claims of power efficiency (x2.5/x2.0/x1.7), Polaris 10 was projected to be a 110W part, then samples came back and they revised downward to ~135W and they began designing boards for production. Apparently quality at GloFo is horrendous so they had to ramp the voltage up to hit their performance target, and went out of spec to 160W after most boards had been designed.

This left them with less headroom than they originally intended for performance and thus they had to revise MSRP downward as well. Maybe the RX480 was supposed to match or even slightly beat the 980 @ 250$ (custom would be 275-300$) and have enough headroom to catch a Fury X, but that's not what GloFo gave AMD.

In a stunning turn of events, AMD (somehow) buys Raidmax!

To improve yields the rumor is a 12gb and a 16gb version. One 4096bit and one 3072bit.

basically when they put the memory and gpu together its very hard. So ones that have a bad stack can be sold as 12gb versions with one stack disabled.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Don Lapre posted:

To improve yields the rumor is a 12gb and a 16gb version. One 4096bit and one 3072bit.

basically when they put the memory and gpu together its very hard. So ones that have a bad stack can be sold as 12gb versions with one stack disabled.

That would mirror the PCIe Tesla situation, which makes sense.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

FaustianQ posted:

Apparently quality at GloFo is horrendous so they had to ramp the voltage up to hit their performance target, and went out of spec to 160W after most boards had been designed.

Take the clockspeed gain that NVIDIA got from 16nm (IIRC ~1.7x), divide by what AMD got (~1.25x) and lo and behold see where Polaris could have ended up.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

On a related note, Apple was supposed to use Polaris for their MBP refresh, right?

I guess there might be some delay, there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Skuto posted:

On a related note, Apple was supposed to use Polaris for their MBP refresh, right?

I guess there might be some delay, there.

You seriously think Apple has a problem with undervolting/underclocking their GPUs to gently caress and back?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh I thought you meant you had a good gpu. Sorry, id still go 1070 first !

So would games still be GPU bound even with a i5 760?? gently caress me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd say upgrading from that would make a pretty big all-around difference.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AEMINAL posted:

Well yes and no, your performance will certainly be starved by the CPU with the new GPU, but as far as which item will give you the best overall difference first I'm going to vote GPU. Its difficult to go wrong here though... so thats the silver lining!

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

You seriously think Apple has a problem with undervolting/underclocking their GPUs to gently caress and back?

Ah right, they don't actually care about the absolute GPU performance.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Palladium posted:

Don't think so. The VRMs themselves on the RX480 are hilariously overbuilt for a 160W TDP card. (which begs the question why even spend so much resources on that while they have a far more fundamental power problem to solve?)

The more likely story is the board itself was only intended to be <150W which is why it was only 1x6-pin and the 50%/50% power split between the slot and the 6-pin, but GloFo yields were so bad that AMD was forced to go over the TDP design target, and scrapping the 6-pin boards was either too late or costly inside the production phase. A calculated risk was taken to release the cards in launch state, and the rest was history.

Just a heads up : http://begthequestion.info/

I think you mean 'raises the question'.

Cheers!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AEMINAL posted:

You're on a 960? Yeah you're still GPU bound if you are running at a big res (1920x1200 or higher) and like AA and high graphical details. i5-760 is a little slow, but people are mostly GPU bottlenecked running couple generation old i3s, random AMD poo poo, and more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AEMINAL posted:

Whatever you do, your cpu isn't the best, but it's just fine for now so wait for kaby lake IMO.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AEMINAL posted:

No, that CPU is going to be a big bottleneck, especially so if you're gaming at lower resolutions. It's just that if you currently have a 960 there's a lot more to gain from GPU upgrades. (Just not as much as there otherwise might be).

If it's heavily overclocked then it won't be as bad, but if it's stock you'll see large increases.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Sitting here anxiously waiting for my 1070 to arrive. The thoughts of playing Warhammer in ultrawide is like holding my dick and being forced to wait.

Sad.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
code:

VCZT001054	Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition 8GB GDDR5X (ZT-P10800C-10P) | 
1683Mhz Clock, 10000 Mhz Memory | PCI Express 3.0, DL-DVI-D, HDMI 2.0, 3x Display Port	1	$849.00
							 			Subtotal:	$849.00
							 			Shipping:	$0.00
     						 			        HST:	        $110.37
							 			Grand Total:	$959.37
:rip: my wallet. Now to come up with an excuse to leave work and pick that up ;).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
im assuming that isnt USD I hope

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

im assuming that isnt USD I hope

Canadian Moose Bucks. If that were USD :eyepop:

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

IratelyBlank posted:

Am I correct in thinking that that 1070 can drive a 4k TV? I've been using a 1080p TV as my primary monitor for the past few years and now I want to upgrade to 4k. From what I gather, to use a 4k TV as a monitor, the graphics card must have a HDMI 2.0 port to get any kind of acceptable framerates and currently only the 1070/1080 have that?

To answer your first question, yes, the 1070 has HDMI 2.0, which is required for 4k@60Hz. But, the 900 series has HDMI 2.0 as well - if all you wanted to do was run the desktop 4k@60Hz, you'd be fine with a 950. Gaming, of course, is a different story, and not even the 1080 can consistently deliver 60fps at max settings. But, if you don't care about max settings, then you could go with something less powerful. Up to you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why does Canada use dollars and not pounds.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

probably not a good time to switch imo.

I think Egypt uses pounds but nowhere else besides the UK afaik
e: an egyptian pound is worth about 9p in pound sterling

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Phlegmish posted:

Because of the metric system

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Let's see what Newegg backorders are like -- got the Nowinstock alert, and instead of 'auto-notify', I could back-order.

Still thinking August when it actually shows up.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I'm wondering if I should go for a 1070 or a 1080. I have a 60hz 3440x1440 screen. I'm mostly concerned with getting 60fps minimum at medium or better settings. I'm thinking the 1070 might be enough for the next year or so, but not sure after that. Thoughts?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Managed to snag a strix 1070 from newegg; Thanks to whichever goon brought it up. It says packaging so hopefully I made the cut instead of having to wait till July 23rd like Amazon was saying.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

bigmandan posted:

I'm wondering if I should go for a 1070 or a 1080. I have a 60hz 3440x1440 screen. I'm mostly concerned with getting 60fps minimum at medium or better settings. I'm thinking the 1070 might be enough for the next year or so, but not sure after that. Thoughts?

What are you playing? You can always get a 1070 for now and sell it before the 1080 Ti releases or whatever amd comes out with.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Green Gloves posted:

What are you playing? You can always get a 1070 for now and sell it before the 1080 Ti releases or whatever amd comes out with.

Stuff I usually play is Overwatch, D3, Fallout 4, Doom, Stellaris and maybe WoW again in the future. I don't mind dropping down to 16:9 1440p if I have to, as the main reason I got the ultrawide is for work stuff (it's really handy having 3-4 code editors side by side and still get 120 columns or more!)

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

bigmandan posted:

Stuff I usually play is Overwatch, D3, Fallout 4, Doom, Stellaris and maybe WoW again in the future. I don't mind dropping down to 16:9 1440p if I have to, as the main reason I got the ultrawide is for work stuff (it's really handy having 3-4 code editors side by side and still get 120 columns or more!)

1070 can max those games out. Anything new coming out you probably cant run ultra. Whether you care to save $200 or have the privilege of running ultra is on you.

I really am interested in seeing people do productive work on an ultrawide its usually gaming oriented videos.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
So I'm playing Doom 4 on a Radeon HD 7750 with i7 3770 3.4ghz and 32 GB of RAM. I have all the graphics settings at min and am playing at the lowest resolution. Is the graphics card holding me back, or is it the processor. What would get me the best bang for buck without getting a new system?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mikul posted:

So I'm playing Doom 4 on a Radeon HD 7750 with i7 3770 3.4ghz and 32 GB of RAM. I have all the graphics settings at min and am playing at the lowest resolution. Is the graphics card holding me back, or is it the processor. What would get me the best bang for buck without getting a new system?

You just need a GPU replacement. If you're comfortable with a used GPU, try to buy a $200 GTX 970 or even cheaper R9-290. If you want new and need it now, try to buy a 4GB RX-480. If you wait a month you'll have more options.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Green Gloves posted:

1070 can max those games out. Anything new coming out you probably cant run ultra. Whether you care to save $200 or have the privilege of running ultra is on you.

I really am interested in seeing people do productive work on an ultrawide its usually gaming oriented videos.

Okay I think a 1070 is good enough for me for now. Thanks!

I love ultrawides for productivity. I can either have 4+ editors open, or 2-3 editors and a browser open all side by side. Not having a bezel to worry about for multi monitor setups is really nice as I can be more flexible with window sizes.

e: I can take a screenshot of my usual work setup when I get home if you are interested.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 6, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
$200 - used 970 / new rx480
$300 - used 980ti
$400 - 1070
:snoop: - 1080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

mikul posted:

GPU definitely. What resolution do you want to play at?