Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lt_Tofu posted:

Amateurs, should have fed the coffee beans to weasels...

Feed the coffee beans to civets and then lock the civets in a cage and feed them cognac until their livers burst. Place the whole weasel in the secondary fermenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Feed the coffee beans to civets and then lock the civets in a cage and feed them cognac until their livers burst. Place the whole weasel in the secondary fermenter.

Sounds like a good release for bringing my three floyds t-shirt and two grandmas

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you barrel age weasels? Asking for a friend...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Veil is currently aging several gallons of honey in a Buffalo Trace rye whiskey barrel. In a few months they're going to give the honey to Black Heath meadery to make mead with, and then they'll age an as-yet-undecided beer in the honey-rye barrel. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also Tired Hands recently had a beer on tap at their brewery that was a Flanders oud bruin conditioned on carmenere soaked oak chips and sea urchins. I really wish I could've tried it.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Thanks to all the Chicagoons who gave me recommendations, I hit up Half Acre, Off Color and Pipeworks today and will hopefully swing by Revolution tomorrow. Already amassed a stash of Ninja vs Unicorn and Hyper Predator, but I'm sure I'll find more room in the car before the trip's over.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Sounds like a good release for bringing my three floyds t-shirt and two grandmas

I went to a release the other day and people in line were wearing the brewery's shirts and I thought that's even more tacky than wearing a band's shirt to their show. Beer geeks just have no class. Also I was the only person in line who brought a book and wasn't just staring at their phone the whole time or plagiarizing threads on BA to other people.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey now, I read via ebooks on my phone these days!

Why isn't cucumber in beer more of a thing? Right off the top of my head, I know 10 Barrel had a nice beer with a huge cucumber profile, while the Oakshire Cucumber Berliner has better balance and totally hits the spot. Really more like cucumber water, but with maybe 2% abv.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Why isn't cucumber in beer more of a thing? Right off the top of my head, I know 10 Barrel had a nice beer with a huge cucumber profile, while the Oakshire Cucumber Berliner has better balance and totally hits the spot. Really more like cucumber water, but with maybe 2% abv.

Transient (MI location) sold bottles of a cucumber-lime Maigre variant (that's his oak-aged Berliner) that is the easiest drinking thing I've ever tasted. I swear I downed the full 750 in less than 10 minutes, and I wasn't even outside or in the heat or anything. It was Screw You Jeremy Danner/Radlersnake level good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

CCB's cucumber saison kinda spurned me on cucumber beers because it was kinda nice on a hot day but a little tough to get through a whole glass.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

air- posted:

Trinity brews a cucumber beer Eletrik Cukumbahh but it had more of a pickle flavor then fresh cucumber when I had it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

A few years ago someone (Funky Buddha?) brought a cucumber/gin berliner to EBF and it was one of the best things at the fest.

Conclusion: yes more cucumber beers please, especially in summer.

Jerome Louis posted:

that cheerio aftertaste in sours is tetrahydropyridine or THP and it's an off-flavor that makes me nuts and i hate it. you can read a bunch of science stuff about it here: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Tetrahydropyridine

it should go away with age usually. but imo you shouldn't have to age a beer to get rid of off-flavors. It's one of my most hated flavors that I get in a bunch of sours.

I'm friends with one of the major contributors to MtF and by now I really should know to go there and search before asking elsewhere. Thanks.

I don't hate it but the more sour beers I have with that flavor the more distracting I find it. At some point it may become a thing I hate.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ooh and just heard Jester King "Spontaneous Blend 1" will be poured at Allagash street fair :iiam:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

poop dood posted:

Also Tired Hands recently had a beer on tap at their brewery that was a Flanders oud bruin conditioned on carmenere soaked oak chips and sea urchins. I really wish I could've tried it.

It was good, but I completely failed to pick up any notes of sea urchin.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

I went to a release the other day and people in line were wearing the brewery's shirts and I thought that's even more tacky than wearing a band's shirt to their show. Beer geeks just have no class. Also I was the only person in line who brought a book and wasn't just staring at their phone the whole time or plagiarizing threads on BA to other people.

i was hanging with the Veil folks on Monday and i gave a friend poo poo for wearing a Veil shirt there ("what is this, a Morrissey show?"). in his case it was unintentional, at least. and, yeah, i'm about that ACAB life (always carry a book)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

bartolimu posted:

A few years ago someone (Funky Buddha?) brought a cucumber/gin berliner to EBF and it was one of the best things at the fest.

Jackie O's had a Cucumber ginger Berliner at last year's EBF, I remember you posting about it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kudosx posted:

Jackie O's had a Cucumber ginger Berliner at last year's EBF, I remember you posting about it.

Yeah I was going to say, I've never heard of funky buddha even having a regular gose or berliner.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Kudosx posted:

Can confirm, it was Jackie O's. We had a lot to drink that night but I still remember that beer being delicious. Also literally nobody knew about it for the first couple hours so they loved us and were giving us double pours by the time the popular stuff started kicking and other people were lining up.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

danbanana posted:

Transient (MI location) sold bottles of a cucumber-lime Maigre variant (that's his oak-aged Berliner) that is the easiest drinking thing I've ever tasted. I swear I downed the full 750 in less than 10 minutes, and I wasn't even outside or in the heat or anything. It was Screw You Jeremy Danner/Radlersnake level good.

My friend just brought me a bottle of the Cherry Sour Maigre. I might kill it tomorrow. Based on this review, I'm looking forward to it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I He'Brew Messiah supposed to be sour? Because I may have got an infected 6 pack. However I love it this way and want to share it with the guys from work.

i'm quotin dis post from 2014 because I just got in my box from Inoculum Ale Works, a new Florida sour-only brewery that's only doing direct-by-mail sales and the Mother Ursa is almost a dead ringer for how I remember the infected Messiah tasting, it's a lacto sour with chocolate malts and oatmeal

it's strange as gently caress and surprisingly drinkable and delicious!

had the berliner before that and it's really solid too, real lemony up front, just a bit of tartness, and a super clean grainy finish, good stuff

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

i'm quotin dis post from 2014 because I just got in my box from Inoculum Ale Works, a new Florida sour-only brewery that's only doing direct-by-mail sales and the Mother Ursa is almost a dead ringer for how I remember the infected Messiah tasting, it's a lacto sour with chocolate malts and oatmeal

it's strange as gently caress and surprisingly drinkable and delicious!

had the berliner before that and it's really solid too, real lemony up front, just a bit of tartness, and a super clean grainy finish, good stuff

Oh poo poo I'm glad someone got to try them, I saw something about them on facebook and got pretty stoked. Money's tight as of recently so I can't warrant an $18 six pack (price calculated with shipping) but now I want to try them even more now that I hear they taste like my favorite infection. They're in an incredibly awful to get to location so it makes sense they're doing deliveries.

There's also a place down in sarasota, Calusa Brewing, that's making BA sours a la all the civilized places in the other parts of the country.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ISO, but only if it is $6 a sixpack and in clear bottles.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Fat Lou posted:

ISO, but only if it is $6 a sixpack and in clear bottles.

Miller is the only beer you should drink out of a clear bottle

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Miller is the only beer you should drink out of a clear bottle

Did you see the tweet?

Also, Off Color released Wari in clear bottles and that was great. So is 5 Rabbit Paletas on a hot loving day.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

danbanana posted:

Did you see the tweet?

Also, Off Color released Wari in clear bottles and that was great. So is 5 Rabbit Paletas on a hot loving day.

Well, those are both with Tetra hops and I don't think Miller uses those. That being said, I want clear glass.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

Well, those are both with Tetra hops and I don't think Miller uses those. That being said, I want clear glass.

Didn't Miller develop tetrahops? I'm like 99% sure that's why High Life has the clear bottles.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

danbanana posted:

Didn't Miller develop tetrahops? I'm like 99% sure that's why High Life has the clear bottles.

Huh, I never knew that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh poo poo I'm glad someone got to try them, I saw something about them on facebook and got pretty stoked. Money's tight as of recently so I can't warrant an $18 six pack (price calculated with shipping) but now I want to try them even more now that I hear they taste like my favorite infection. They're in an incredibly awful to get to location so it makes sense they're doing deliveries.

There's also a place down in sarasota, Calusa Brewing, that's making BA sours a la all the civilized places in the other parts of the country.

I had the other two today and I would highly recommend ordering from them while they have Kuebiko available because

A) it is goddamn motherfucking delicious, strawberry/lemon/lime sour, ridiculously drinkable

and B) they're donating all the proceeds off it to charities involved with the Orlando pulse shooting which is pretty drat cool

Also my case was short a four-pack and they are shipping out a whole new case, 10/10 highly recommend

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Did you see the tweet?

nah, i try not to do that

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

I had the other two today and I would highly recommend ordering from them while they have Kuebiko available because

A) it is goddamn motherfucking delicious, strawberry/lemon/lime sour, ridiculously drinkable

and B) they're donating all the proceeds off it to charities involved with the Orlando pulse shooting which is pretty drat cool

Also my case was short a four-pack and they are shipping out a whole new case, 10/10 highly recommend

Yeah, if anyone wants to try some of the Ursa from Inoculum shoot me a PM. Due to shipping mix ups on their part, I now have an extra case of it. Not nearly as much a fan of Ursa as I am of the Drex, but it's a pretty good light chocolate sour. I ordered half a case of it expecting more of an Oud Bruin style beer, but this didn't quite have the bolder flavors I'm used to in an Oud Bruin.

Apache fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 8, 2016

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anyone have a recommendation on a PID to use for a beer fridge? Just checked on my lambic fridge and it migrated up from 55 to 62 without having been opened for months.. I can't dial in the temp properly on this lovely old fridge.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
NEBCO is amazing ever since they revamped the tasting room. They had a Double Fuzzy Baby Ducks release today - usually a shitshow. I was in and out in under a hour, and that includes showing up 30 minutes before opening. As of twenty minutes ago, there is reportedly zero line whatsoever.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Podima posted:

NEBCO is amazing ever since they revamped the tasting room. They had a Double Fuzzy Baby Ducks release today - usually a shitshow. I was in and out in under a hour, and that includes showing up 30 minutes before opening. As of twenty minutes ago, there is reportedly zero line whatsoever.

My GPS refused to take me anywhere but the 15 onramp when I tried to go to NEBCO last month

Were I not driving I could have figured it out, but gently caress, that was irritating

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

a worthy uhh posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a PID to use for a beer fridge? Just checked on my lambic fridge and it migrated up from 55 to 62 without having been opened for months.. I can't dial in the temp properly on this lovely old fridge.

Something like this seems a lot easier than any of the roll-your-own-with-a-PID solutions (no personal experience with either):

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're in Vancouver, Steamworks just put an IPA made with my company's aromatic ale yeast in their Burnaby taproom as a weekly one-off, so get it while it lasts.

quote:

At Steamworks we’re all about the beer community. This week we’ve partnered with Bright Brewers, a Vancouver-based yeast company to bring you one of our most aromatic IPA’s yet. This Weekly One off has been brewed with some serious west coast attitude. Our friends at Bright used selective breeding to make an aromatic yeast strain with intense, fresh fruit-forward tropical and citrus notes. The yeast works in harmony with Nelson Sauvin, and Citra hops to create an easy-drinking IPA perfect for this sunny Wednesday.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 8, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Dem Bones posted:

Something like this seems a lot easier than any of the roll-your-own-with-a-PID solutions (no personal experience with either):

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-A19AAT-2C-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58

That is absurdly overpriced. I know a ton of people that swear by this for homebrewing.

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/inkbi...NwJYaAklr8P8HAQ

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

a worthy uhh posted:

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That is absurdly overpriced. I know a ton of people that swear by this for homebrewing.

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/inkbi...NwJYaAklr8P8HAQ

This, all day every day. I use one for my keezer and another for my warming wrap when I do sour beers. They're amazing.

The Johnson Controls ones are significantly more expensive and harder to use - the version I had required you to take it apart and move jumpers around to go from a cooling setting to a heating setting.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I don't know what happened to Spring House in the last few months... but they released Joop, a grapefruit DIPA and it was absolutely outstanding , in four packs at the brewery for 16 bucks/4 pack.. they also had a killer coconut coffee porter on. Don't know if the new bigger brewhouse helps or he's just killing the batches this month but drat they are figuring it out.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

They got a bunch of suckers to pay $150 (it's me) to fund their failed first batches of BA stuff, so they're getting on point finally so I hear.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

McGavin posted:

If you're in Vancouver, Steamworks just put an IPA made with my company's aromatic ale yeast in their Burnaby taproom as a weekly one-off, so get it while it lasts.

I was down on Steamworks for a while, but they've done some nice stuff recently. I liked their kettle sour quite a bit.

Finally tried some of the Vancouver Big Rock brews as well. Way better than the Alberta stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

They got a bunch of suckers to pay $150 (it's me) to fund their failed first batches of BA stuff, so they're getting on point finally so I hear.

Yeah I almost joined but fought the urge... kinda thinking about the next round though.