Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

So we got the knife tree and the badass lying tree. What are the odds we get one more tree in the final book?
in thirty years we'll be blaming you for the insatiable vagina tree that rothfuss defeats by transforming into a penis hydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
He has a new pen name.

http://www.tor.com/2016/06/20/computer-games-or-why-ill-probably-never-finish-writing-my-trilogy/

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

quote:

Books give you a single path through a manufactured world.

How to make an English teacher cry in one sentence.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Just finished rereading Wizard of Earthsea for the first time in 15 years. Oh man does Rothfuss borrow heavily from it. I think what he's done is more similar to that book than anything else, minus brevity and quality.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I don't know if I should be thrilled or frightened, but Rothfuss is going to be on popular, and my personal favorite, podcast My Brother, My Brother and Me answering questions about "storytelling and parenting". I hope it's as insightful as it sounds.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/108496432522050?view=permalink&id=1113746118663738

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's good at one of those things from what I can tell.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Solice Kirsk posted:

The guy who white knighted the fictional woman in Roald Dahl's silly, quaint children's book, about romance by magically growing turtles? He bragged on the internet about rewriting Esio Trot to keep his kid from being exposed to British misogyny.

I can't wait to see what his future parenting decisions will look like if that's the road map.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Have you actually read the parenting stories he tells? Kvothe isn't the unreliable narrator. Rothfuss is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought he was generally thought of as a good dad? Maybe I was wrong?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He's probably a fine dad but he's got some really stupid opinions. But every kid gets exposed to stupid poo poo because of their parents. Is his kid alive, vaccinated and otherwise fed and taken care of? Then he's doing his job.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rothfuss bad man

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i want to poo directly onto his face. let all my hopes and dreams just slide out like molasses from the millennial labyrinth of my rear end straight into his open mouth so he has to choke on the condensed fibre of my ennui. my disenfranchisement. my sense of unfillable emptiness. i am a youth and i speak for the youth when i say, more like rothfuck imo

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Avshalom posted:

i want to poo directly onto his face. let all my hopes and dreams just slide out like molasses from the millennial labyrinth of my rear end straight into his open mouth so he has to choke on the condensed fibre of my ennui. my disenfranchisement. my sense of unfillable emptiness. i am a youth and i speak for the youth when i say, more like rothfuck imo
while writing this i legitimately had to poo. it was all i could think about. i was desperate. i squeezed one out as soon as i hit "submit reply" and as i looked down on it i saw there the unmistakeable visage of rothfuss, its lips seductively wriggling, its eyes beady and lustful. this is called writing what you know

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Avshalom posted:

Avshalom posted:

while writing this i legitimately had to poo. it was all i could think about. i was desperate. i squeezed one out as soon as i hit "submit reply" and as i looked down on it i saw there the unmistakeable visage of rothfuss, its lips seductively wriggling, its eyes beady and lustful. this is called writing what you know

now this is shitposting

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Truly next level. Hopefully this elevates all of our shitposting moving forward.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I think a lot of people dislike what they see as aimless drifting in Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear because often times it doesn't seem meaningful, either to the plot or characters. The books break away from the more traditional structure of stories, which can leave readers feeling discomforted. What he ends up writing, though, is more like what an actual life is like. Real life is not a story, and so has long pauses in action, obsessions over minutiae, idiot mistakes that seem to mean nothing--and yet are critical in developing who we are. Of course, just because it breaks a great deal of rules of traditional stories doesn't mean it eschews them all together, so we see elements of the hero cycle and the overall frame of a tragedy, as Goffer points out. I think the breaking of rules--rules that are often a very bad idea to break--makes the story more interesting because it gives it an unpredictable, mysterious quality that I think hooks so many people in the first read-through.

Second, Kvothe is an unreliable narrator in the way that everyone is. He's very obviously biased, as Rothfuss uses the framing story to point out repeatedly, and so that bias is important in the story. He doesn't have to be outright lying. For example, from what Rothfuss shows us of Denna, she and Kvothe are pretty much the same person. They both have a past they won't speak of, both are talented in music and stories, both know things others don't, both are willing to sacrifice for a mystery connected with their past--etc.--but because of Kvothe's bias, he can't see that as clearly as we can (or can't, depending on your ability to make inferences). Kvothe has a hard time seeing other people as as deep and nuanced as he is, but of course, they are--but we only see a small part of their stories. Stories within stories, of course, is one of the key aspects of the series.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uranium Phoenix posted:

What he ends up writing, though, is more like what an actual life is like. Real life is not a story, and so has long pauses in action, obsessions over minutiae, idiot mistakes that seem to mean nothing--and yet are critical in developing who we are. Of course, just because it breaks a great deal of rules of traditional stories doesn't mean it eschews them all together, so we see elements of the hero cycle and the overall frame of a tragedy, as Goffer points out. I think the breaking of rules--rules that are often a very bad idea to break--makes the story more interesting because it gives it an unpredictable, mysterious quality that I think hooks so many people in the first read-through.

Stories don't reflect "real life" by being without structure, they reflect "real life" by describing human experience. Kingkiller is not like 'real life' at all. It's very much detached from any experience of social context or world. How is Kvothe investigating evil demons and then stumbling onto a dragon feasting from a drug grower's stash reflect real life? It's not even burlesquing fantasy, it's very much played straight.

What you're thinking about is something like Hilary Mantell's Wolf Hall, which is about "real life" even though it's about Tudor court intrigues. This is because it's very much concerned with base realities of early 16th century life, which helps make the historical intrigue like "real life".

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Second, Kvothe is an unreliable narrator in the way that everyone is.

Kvothe is a very bad unreliable narrator. Rothfuss uses him to describe dull minutiae instead of subjectivity.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

That may be, but the argument "you guys dislike aimless drifting because it's not meaningful to plot or characters" really struck a chord with me so I'm gonna go ahead and give my point to the other guy.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I think a lot of people dislike what they see as aimless drifting in Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear because often times it doesn't seem meaningful, either to the plot or characters. The books break away from the more traditional structure of stories, which can leave readers feeling discomforted. What he ends up writing, though, is more like what an actual life is like. Real life is not a story, and so has long pauses in action, obsessions over minutiae, idiot mistakes that seem to mean nothing--and yet are critical in developing who we are. Of course, just because it breaks a great deal of rules of traditional stories doesn't mean it eschews them all together, so we see elements of the hero cycle and the overall frame of a tragedy, as Goffer points out. I think the breaking of rules--rules that are often a very bad idea to break--makes the story more interesting because it gives it an unpredictable, mysterious quality that I think hooks so many people in the first read-through.

Second, Kvothe is an unreliable narrator in the way that everyone is. He's very obviously biased, as Rothfuss uses the framing story to point out repeatedly, and so that bias is important in the story. He doesn't have to be outright lying. For example, from what Rothfuss shows us of Denna, she and Kvothe are pretty much the same person. They both have a past they won't speak of, both are talented in music and stories, both know things others don't, both are willing to sacrifice for a mystery connected with their past--etc.--but because of Kvothe's bias, he can't see that as clearly as we can (or can't, depending on your ability to make inferences). Kvothe has a hard time seeing other people as as deep and nuanced as he is, but of course, they are--but we only see a small part of their stories. Stories within stories, of course, is one of the key aspects of the series.

So really what you're saying is that it's not that Rothfuss is a lovely story-teller, it's that Kvothe is a lovely story-teller. I suppose there's a difference on paper, but not to anyone who has to endure the story.

Edit to say that for the record (since I don't know if I've posted in this thread before), I don't hate NotW, I just think its female characters are so terrible that they set back the entire concept of women in literature back by a hundred years.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Naerasa posted:

So really what you're saying is that it's not that Rothfuss is a lovely story-teller, it's that Kvothe is a lovely story-teller. I suppose there's a difference on paper, but not to anyone who has to endure the story.

Edit to say that for the record (since I don't know if I've posted in this thread before), I don't hate NotW, I just think its female characters are so terrible that they set back the entire concept of women in literature back by a hundred years.

Yeah well if you think that you know nothing of women nor literature nor me :mad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know explaining gestation is super hard. It's a primal instinct and every creature that reproduces sexually knows what it's doing is for procreation.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
NotW soooo wanted to be a Picaresque but failed to understand the core elements.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Uranium Phoenix posted:

What he ends up writing, though, is more like what an actual life is like.

Remember that time in real life when you were so good at sex that your immortal sex fairy sex partner couldn't believe you were a virgin?

Remember that time in real life when you set out to save your friend in imminent peril, but got distracted ten seconds later by a shiny object and didn't think of her for months?

Remember that time in real life when you killed a dozen people because one of them admitted to shoplifting?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Remember that time in real life when you killed a dozen people because one of them admitted to shoplifting?

Didn't they also kidnap two girls and torture/abuse them or something?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

Pretty sure the two girls were straight up raped repeatedly too

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Again people are missing the deeper issues, like how is that it's a very impotent and unhelpful response to antiziganism:

quote:

“You thought you could fool me?” I said, feeling my anger coiling inside me again like a spring. “This is my family! How could I not know? Ruh don’t do what you did. Ruh don’t steal, don’t kidnap girls.”
Alleg shook his head with a mocking smile. There was blood on his teeth. “Everyone knows what you people do.”
My temper exploded. “Everyone thinks they know! They think rumor is the truth! Ruh don’t do this!” I gestured wildly around me. “People only think those things because of people like you!” My anger flared even hotter and I found myself screaming. “Now tell me what I want to know or God will weep when he hears what I’ve done to you!”

This is Rothfuss's defence of Roma and other ethnic minorities: it's someone else that makes them look bad. Or it's just a few bad apples, etc etc

This is a typically naive liberal response. Of course one must avoid the opposite argument, that minorities justify discrimination with their actions, since justifying discrimination of peoples is racism. What one instead needs to do is to say that whatever their problems, they still deserve to be treated as humans no matter what they do.

Zadie Smith's NW is really good about this, because it gives voice to the ethnic criminal that even liberals fear.

Instead, Rothfuss argues that rapist thieves are making Elizabethan actors look bad. Not a good response to racism and antiziganism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure the two girls were straight up raped repeatedly too

Kvothe was really loving creepy during that part also.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

Kvothe was really loving creepy during that part also.

Not All Men.

That's exactly what rape victims need to hear after their traumatic experience.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

orange sky posted:

Did Kvothe decide to kill them before or after he learned about the girls?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Not All Men.

That's exactly what rape victims need to hear after their traumatic experience.

He should have used his newly found sexual powers to bang those girls back from suffering. The literal goddess of loving told him he was super good so regular old sexually abused women should be like shooting fish in a barrel for his sexual healing.

And let's not even get into him single handedly standing up to the town to make sure these raped chicks will find good husbands and live happily ever after and all the women of the town stand up and cheer him and poo poo. There's just huge chunks of WMF that I actively dislike.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dienes posted:

Did Kvothe decide to kill them before or after he learned about the girls?

I think he knew about the girls from the outset. I'm pretty sure he only killed them after he learned they were impersonating the Edema Ruh while doing it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Again, people are missing the deeper issues. In addition to being a terrible response to antiziganism, it's not a very good sequence about murdering people. It's really limp. Kvothe kills them in a casual and calculated manner, then has bad dreams because he's not a sociopath, you see. Then there are remarks about how exceptional he is for killing seven people. Also this:

quote:

The anger leapt out of a young man to my left, a farm boy, about seventeen. “None of this would have happened if you hadn’t been running around like some Ruh whore!”

I broke his arm before I quite realized what I was doing. He screamed as he fell to the ground.

I pulled him to his feet by the scruff of his neck. “What’s your name?” I snarled into his face.

“My arm!” He gasped, his eyes showing me their whites.

I shook him like a rag doll. “Name!”

“Jason,” he blurted. “God’s mother, my arm . . .”

I took his chin in my free hand and turned his face toward Krin and Ell. “Jason,” I hissed quietly in his ear. “I want you to look at those girls. And I want you to think about the hell they’ve been through in these past days, tied hand and foot in the back of a wagon. And I want you to ask yourself what’s worse. A broken arm, or getting kidnapped by a stranger and raped four times a night?”

Then I turned his face toward me and spoke so quiet that even an inch away it was hardly a whisper. “After you’ve thought of that, I want you to pray to God to forgive you for what you just said. And if you mean it, Tehlu grant your arm heal straight and true.” His eyes were terrified and wet. “After that, if you ever think an unkind thought about either of them, your arm will ache like there’s hot iron in the bone. And if you ever say an unkind word, it will go to fever and slow rot and they’ll have to cut it off to save your life.” I tightened my grip on him, watching his eyes widen. “And if you ever do anything to either of them, I’ll know. I will come here, and kill you, and leave your body hanging in a tree.”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Again, people are missing the deeper issue. It's not a very good sequence about murdering people. It's really limpid. Kvothe kills them in a casual and calculated manner, then has bad dreams because he's not a sociopath, you see. Then there are remarks about how exceptional he is for killing seven people. Also this:

This poo poo is written like a high school power fantasy. That entire sequence should have been cut because it does absolutely nothing for the characters or story. It just feels tacked on to pad out an already padded out story.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
https://twitter.com/yokoono/status/750692779441790977

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

This poo poo is written like a high school power fantasy. That entire sequence should have been cut because it does absolutely nothing for the characters or story. It just feels tacked on to pad out an already padded out story.

Except for the part where it's basically the instigator for Kvothe having to leave patronland

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Except for the part where it's basically the instigator for Kvothe having to leave patronland

Kvothe breaking the random misogynist's arm is not the reason he has to leave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought the instigator was his inability to shut his loving mouth when someone with power over him was critical of the Ruh? She could have just brought that up with out needing the lead in of why he was late coming back. I'll have to reread that part, but wasn't he sent out to stop the thieves as an excuse to dismiss him to begin with? It didn't need to be in there and is only there to make Kvothe look even more put upon...or as put upon as a famous genius artistic warrior wizard can be I guess.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Oh my bad I thought you meant the whole village thing.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as you lot seem to believe but I also haven't read it in a while.

Almost done my current series, hopefully I'll be able to sink my teeth back into NotW/WMF before BotL finishes up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Have you considered (re)reading something good instead? I have posted several recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Have you considered (re)reading something good instead? I have posted several recommendations.

You may not recall, but earlier I said I'd do a reading with the opposite bias as yours, as I'd never really critically read the series.

• Locked thread