Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

But... I thought the promise had been made!

How could you do this to us, ToG?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I was genuinely excited when they started posting cool gun's updates on Kickstarter which inevitably has lead me to be genuinely disappointed that they stopped after just 2 updates

the promise...has been broken.............

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

But... I thought the promise had been made!

How could you do this to us, ToG?!

promises are made to be broken

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

You guys know that was the date for the beta testing applications right?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

SirPenguin posted:

I was genuinely excited when they started posting cool gun's updates on Kickstarter which inevitably has lead me to be genuinely disappointed that they stopped after just 2 updates

the promise...has been broken.............

They porting it to Busco Quadnary now. Will be worth the wait for all four dimensions.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

This game suc

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

*laying on deathbed with long white beard and grey hair and cancer* please... please release barkley 2.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

*laying on deathbed with long white beard and grey hair and cancer* please... please release barkley 2.

Don't worry by the time it releases we will have discovered ways to revive you to join us in playing it and discovering it sucks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cheen posted:

This game suc

prove it !!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

*cough* please. i'm fucken dying. please release barkley 2 b4 i die.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

prove it !!

look inward noob

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cheen posted:

look inward noob

hmm, i see... an extremely cute gamer playing barkely 2 !! ah !! it's my future and it rules !!

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Golden Goat posted:

Don't worry by the time it releases we will have discovered ways to revive you to join us in playing it and discovering it sucks.

Everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter will be tortured for eternity by an AI god, forcing them to play and replay Barkley 2 over and over. Roko's Barkleylisk.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Luckily the gamedesigners foresaw this possibility and added a Gunz that fires directly into X114JAM9's skull then deletes the game from your HD.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Peztopiary posted:

Luckily the gamedesigners foresaw this possibility and added a Gunz that fires directly into X114JAM9's skull then deletes the game from your HD.

And then used the gunz on the computers being used to develop the game so that it could never be finished or released

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

i hope this goes on sale for the STeam Summer Sale

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Cheen posted:

I doubt we see a deep discount until the Steam Nuclear Winter Sale.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Cheen posted:

2034. Better start saving up ur monez.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Vax posted:

2034. Better start saving up ur monez.

it'll be under a hundred dollars which will be pretty reasonable with inflation.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I had a dream I spilt Red hot burning wood chips all over my cyberdwarf bodypillow, scarring it beyond repair.

A grim omen, perhaps?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

any other project would have had refunds and people upset

christ, we have a subforum for Star Citizen with Derek Smart as a mod

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I guess when irony is your daily bread then you lose the right to complain sincerely. A sobering cautionary tale.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Unacceptable that these guys took an amount of money sufficient to pay them all part-time for about 6 months and then spent it all on body pillow production.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ice To Meet You posted:

Unacceptable that these guys took an amount of money sufficient to pay them all part-time for about 6 months and then spent it all on body pillow production.

I'm pretty sure I remember a wizard booth.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's my video game and I want it now!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

One of the devs made an appearance on the 8-4 podcast and could recall the full title for Barkley 2. If they could recall the name, then surely this isn't a scam.

Although I'am getting a little concerned that the game has become too corporate with all of the indie mega booth appearances and getting on board the videogame conference circuit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh they were at E3 with a demo. http://rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2016/062816j.html

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can appreciate a gaming site that hasn't updated their layout since 2000.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

oh they showed up to a convention with a demo drat hell yeah !!!! Yessss! Hahah wooo hooo did they bring The Wizard???? i hope the wizzard was there,

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The more I read on the quest system the more anxious I get

I like my RPG content to be akin to a checklist. A system in which I am just continuously locked out of content as I spend time elsewhere is going to make it way more stressful than it should be. How can you enjoy a quest if you know that others are being automatically failed as a punishment?

e: on second thought, a system that essentially punishes people for playing the game is a very poetic and relevant to Barkley 2's overall goal of punishing people who want to enjoy it

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 3, 2016

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SirPenguin posted:

I like my RPG content to be akin to a checklist. A system in which I am just continuously locked out of content as I spend time elsewhere is going to make it way more stressful than it should be. How can you enjoy a quest if you know that others are being automatically failed as a punishment?

e: on second thought, a system that essentially punishes people for playing the game is a very poetic and relevant to Barkley 2's overall goal of punishing people who want to enjoy it

Let's see if that even makes it into the finished version in 2023, I hope we get some early access builds before then though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SirPenguin posted:

perhaps you should consider this 'punishment' to be corrective, as you have a bad brain

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirPenguin posted:

How on earth did you get this far without realizing what kind of game Barkley 2 was going to be? These elements were in the original pitch.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It isn't punishment... Maybe it is if you consider even playing Barkley 2 is a punishment that locks you out of other activities like having a partner or being accepted by society

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I tried a pokemon game and it showed me three cool lil dudes at the beginning and said I could only have one of them? Christ nintendo it's 2016 stop locking me out of Content already, this bull-poo poo is gonna make my fibro flare up..

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just glad I could rally this topic behind a subject beyond apathy for this game that's never coming out

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

BUTTERWORBS posted:

oh they showed up to a convention with a demo drat hell yeah !!!! Yessss! Hahah wooo hooo did they bring The Wizard???? i hope the wizzard was there,

They didn't bring The Wizard or the Cyberdwarf costume. It was a last-minute showing.

I'm no programmer, but I saw enough of the game and its inner workings that it didn't feel like a scam. There are enough sprites, conversations, and interactive bits that ambitious goals, feature creep, and a small team are better explanations. The game is designed to be sprawling and confusing to the player, and that kind of complexity is taking time. I'd be surprised if people will be able to find everything without cracking it open; it's a level of detail and complexity that not everyone is going to appreciate. Barkley 2 is walking the line between Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes and an over-long Family Guy gag. It could be a wild, unique experience, but intentionally alienating and confounding the audience runs the risk of... alienating and confounding the audience.

notZaar posted:

I guess when irony is your daily bread then you lose the right to complain sincerely. A sobering cautionary tale.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Most of the development time is spent making sure there's absolutely no jokes in the game as per the kickstarter promise.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
so i backed this game back in 1986, im assuming its come out by now? how is everyone enjoying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's trash, so I got exactly what I wanted. Those ToGsters sure put out what they promise!