Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

It's at least partially a homage to the former best 2 drop of all time and one of my personal favorite cards

how is it anything like quirion dryad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

Why would they print that in green......

I mean, Green actually had Madness cards in Odyssey (although the flavor of Madness didn't make much sense in green), including at least one creature with "Madness 0"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

gently caress it, here's a Wild Mongrel eat your goddamn heart out:

Hot drat!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Now all they need to do is print Circular Logic. We kind of have Aquameoba with Ravenous Bloodseeker, we kind of have Wild Mongrel with this guy, we kind of have Arrogant Wurm with Incorrigible Youths and we kind of have Threshold with Delirium. :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 6, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Green actually had Madness cards in Odyssey (although the flavor of Madness didn't make much sense in green), including at least one creature with "Madness 0"

Every color had one common and one uncommon with madness in Torment, so for most of the colors they had some sort of mental thing to at least somewhat symbolize them going crazy, for red they had them be angry, and then for green they were like "gently caress it, here's a wurm busting out of the ground and a lizard sitting on a tree"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Every color had one common and one uncommon with madness in Torment, so for most of the colors they had some sort of mental thing to at least somewhat symbolize them going crazy, for red they had them be angry, and then for green they were like "gently caress it, here's a wurm busting out of the ground and a lizard sitting on a tree"

Rootwallas are a symbol of death and despair or something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TheKingofSprings posted:

They will never do something because there's really not any money in it for them to do so.

Wizards gives 8 foil cards to stores that hold FNMs weekly. Doing this means WotC needs to pay for the art, printing, and shipping to stores.

Imagine if the ink on those cards instead said things like "Black Lotus", "Ancestral Recall", or "Volcanic Island", there were 50 per store, and they cost $25 a piece. I think WotC could easily sell at least 1,000 of each card they printed this way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To even glimpse its terrible visage is to go insane.

http://i.imgur.com/8TqJuUx.jpg

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To even glimpse its terrible visage is to go insane.

http://i.imgur.com/8TqJuUx.jpg

How can he have madness when he's just so happy :3:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Wouldn't have minded this being a color shift. None of the current madness enablers are very good/free (Bloodseeker is no Aquamoeba), and none of the madness cards are green (maybe that'll change in EDM?).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

How can he have madness when he's just so happy :3:

Magic illustrations are a visual medium so it's hard to tell but it's actually screaming.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, Wild Mongrel's sort-of return is great and all, but the best payoff for doing it is Lightning Bolt, so

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I really wish it were common so I could have Mongrel's 5-8 in my pauper decks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, Wild Mongrel's sort-of return is great and all, but the best payoff for doing it is Lightning Bolt, so

There's also a 4/3 Arrogant Wurm with haste, but the problem there seems to be that Arrogant Wurm just isn't a particularly noteworthy thing to be doing in Standard anymore.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

There's also a 4/3 Arrogant Wurm with haste, but the problem there seems to be that Arrogant Wurm just isn't a particularly noteworthy thing to be doing in Standard anymore.

Eh, I think if the other madness support cards from that era were available (Circular Logic, Wonder, Deep Analysis) the Arrogant Wurms of the world would still be a good thing to be doing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Madmarker posted:

Pretty sure RG Madness would be a real-ish deck in Pauper if this was the case, since the deck is currently held back by not being able to consistently have Mongrels out or needing to splash a third color of Aquamoeba. As-is I'm not sure this card is going to do a whole lot since it's in a color with no direct payoff for discard and isn't Pauper-legal.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 6, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Madmarker posted:

Fortunately Reach Mongrel is a prime candidate for a rarity downshift in a future Modern Masters set, you know, six years from now?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Guys, guys... another reliable discard outlet for Modern Dredgevine...

Also get in mah cube with the Mongrel ya crazy skull snek.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 6, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thisuck posted:

Guys, guys... a reliable discard outlet for Modern Dredgevine...

Also get in mah cube with the Mongrel ya crazy skull snek.

Lotleth Troll already does a pretty good job for that, as does (a dredged) Stitchwing Skaab. Might still be worth it, though.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sigma-X posted:

Lotleth Troll already does a pretty good job for that, as does (a dredged) Stitchwing Skaab. Might still be worth it, though.

Troll specifies creature cards, doesn't it? I mean the trample and regenerate make up for that, but the difference in cards you can discard is notable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Troll can't block Bird Maiden.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Most of the cards you want to discard in dredge are creatures though: Vengevine, Bloodghast, Gravecrawler, Amalgam, Grave Troll and Stinkweed Imp. Don't think it will replace it. I've moved away from Lothlet Troll though, I prefer Stitchwing Skaab because it works while it's in the graveyard.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Chaos Reveler and Nahari's Wrath makes me understand what they want Red to be now. They want you to play high CMC red cards and use stuff like N. Wrath and Sin Prodder as payoff cards. If there's a playable Red Emerge Card that would also slot into this game plan.

Gruul seems potentially VERY strong.

Also Modern wise Chaos Reveler seems like a pretty easy shoe in for Grixis, and it seems like a good replacement for the 2 Grim Lavamancers Burn runs in Legacy and Modern.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Troll specifies creature cards, doesn't it? I mean the trample and regenerate make up for that, but the difference in cards you can discard is notable.

What cards are you looking to discard that aren't creatures?

I don't actually play vengevine, I've had a bad UR dredge instead that just uses skaab and conflagrate, both of which are baller and work from the bin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wait, I thought they defeated Emrakul and saved the world?
Sorin gives up way too easy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Wait, I thought they defeated Emrakul and saved the world?
Sorin gives up way too easy.

He thought Ugin was gone for good. He gave up on Zendikar and went home to mope. He gives up a bunch.

Angry Grimace posted:

Incidentally, this is the first snake in an expert expansion since Ukud Cobra in Dragons of Tarkir, and the first in Kaseto's color identity since Kaseto himself. None in BFZ, OGW, or SOI.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The card just so bonkers. This and reflector mage in the same standard seem really unfun to play against.

Does the cast from exile effect ignore whose turn it is for sorceries? Creatures?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ, I hope so. It sucks to be priced out of a format entirely because of Wizards's stupid promise to manbabies and people who can speculate on cardboard rectangles because of said promise.

I can't loving wait for the witch hunt that will ensue once counterfeits get really really good

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

The card just so bonkers. This and reflector mage in the same standard seem really unfun to play against.

Does the cast from exile effect ignore whose turn it is for sorceries? Creatures?

"My Collected Company exiles your Languish" :smug:

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Thisuck posted:

"My Collected Company exiles your Languish" :smug:

"I'll Collected Company in response to your Collected Company, so I can exile your Collected Company before it exiles my first Collected company."

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Trilas posted:

"I'll Collected Company in response to your Collected Company, so I can exile your Collected Company before it exiles my first Collected company."

The most smuggo of the smug.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I too am excited about wasting my Collected Company by casting it directly into a wrath.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I look forward to running a counterspell that is also a body, going to make the Coco mirrors sooo fun.

Edit: Serious question, is there any reason this isn't a 4 of in Coco, it counters languish, Coco, Value creatures and flies.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I too am excited about wasting my Collected Company by casting it directly into a wrath.

There will be times in this standard where it will be the correct play to Collected Company in response to Languish in hopes of hitting Spell Queller.....those will be fun games.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Stormgale posted:

I look forward to running a counterspell that is also a body, going to make the Coco mirrors sooo fun.

Edit: Serious question, is there any reason this isn't a 4 of in Coco, it counters languish, Coco, Value creatures and flies.

I like that you can jam Turn Aside into a UW deck to protect it from Path, Declaration, Impulse, etc.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

FINALLY, a good green card, and a good U/W card.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

You can always fail to find, also drat Reflector Mage is opponents only.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ah yes leaving creatures in my deck is much less of a waste than putting them in my graveyard.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I like that you can jam Turn Aside into a UW deck to protect it from Path, Declaration, Impulse, etc.
Or you could play a good card instead.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You're generally not going to be casting coco into a wrath instead of post-wrath

Although you could chord into a wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why so snippy, IBMS?

• Locked thread