Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
So, very late--partly due to the thread being locked immediately after my last post--but I did go back and check the bonfires I've cleared out in NG+. Whoever said the effigy timer only applies when you're in the area, yes, that is what was confusing me. Also, I didn't realize the timer only shows up if you select the option to nullify the effigy; I thought it was meant to show up on screen somewhere when you were just resting at the bonfire. So yeah, my mistake. Everything else I said about the effigy thing does still apply.

Onto more current events; I don't feel like No Man's Wharf changed all that much for SotFS, but there was one huge quality of life thing they added which I'm sure Vicas will point out when Geop gets to it in the next(ish) video. It's such a simple thing, I can't for the life of me figure out why the gently caress it wasn't in the base game. This area is also one of those rare instances where using a torch is a good idea even in the base game... I can't remember if From changed one other thing about NMW which would be related, but I suppose I'll know one way or the other next time Geop updates.

I think you can pretty easily mod the base game to where torches are a necessity, if you're willing to fiddle around with some post-processing stuff, which is what I wound up doing from about the late game on through the DLC and into NG+. I definitely see where they're meant to be more of a thing in Scholar, if the dark area in FoFG didn't already make it apparent. I never realized NMW was that dark; holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I will forever be grateful they looked at the torch and said 'You know maybe we shouldn't make this quite so important because it just seems really annoying.'

It works fine for the occasional area like Pirate Viking Cove: The Land of Dark Waters but if I had to carry one in every dungeon I'd be pissed I couldn't shield, dual wield, or two-hand.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Night10194 posted:

I will forever be grateful they looked at the torch and said 'You know maybe we shouldn't make this quite so important because it just seems really annoying.'

It works fine for the occasional area like Pirate Viking Cove: The Land of Dark Waters but if I had to carry one in every dungeon I'd be pissed I couldn't shield, dual wield, or two-hand.

Making it an actual item that you can conveniently switch in and out was the right decision.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about the Pursuer is that he's big and fast and intimidating when you first encounter him, but once you've gotten enough practice and learn his patterns he's a total chump. You can actually avoid every single one of his attacks without even touching your roll button.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Night10194 posted:

I wish it was my job to smash poo poo with a warhammer while wearing business casual.

Is that really business casual? He's got a tie and slacks. Obviously wearing the jacket would restrict his movement, so I'd say he is fully outfitted.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's certainly not casual, so I'd say it's business hardcore.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

He's certainly not casual, so I'd say it's business hardcore.

Business Souls?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pursuer is basically Souls Games personified as a single boss and he's great because of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night10194 posted:

Pursuer is basically Souls Games personified as a single boss and he's great because of it.

He's also basically a medieval Armored Core!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

RBA Starblade posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Not quite Armored Core but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-6JG2Xd0u8

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With his giant backpack full of weapons he could also be a Special Ops Armored Assault Suit.

Just he lacks presidential bearing. Or vice presidential bearing.

It's wonderful that From also made a game about the president blowing up america to save it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

With his giant backpack full of weapons he could also be a Special Ops Armored Assault Suit.

Just he lacks presidential bearing. Or vice presidential bearing.

It's wonderful that From also made a game about the president blowing up america to save it.

It's not an exaggeration to say that it is easily From's best game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iggf3zB3gAM

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And desperately in need of a PC port and translation. Voice acting has to stay the same though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
geop when's metal wolf chaos

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Business Souls?

*ceo walks in* who the gently caress wrote chalk all over my office

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In Metal Wolf Chaos 2 every time you die you respawn as the next person in the presidential line of succession.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

White Coke posted:

In Metal Wolf Chaos 2 every time you die you respawn as the next person in the presidential line of succession.

Also have randomized attributes to rip off Rogue Legacy even further.

Goonther the 4th the Hokage with IBS. Find the methane catalyst to have a fart-powered mecha.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

RBA Starblade posted:

Some youtuber right in the comments even calls out a specific one.

FlippyMcGiantDad posted:

Wait no god drat it fromsoft you're doing this again.

It's the N-WGIX intro but in fantasyland.

Let's see here...

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
And that reminds me, I'm still gradually working my way through Armoured Core: Verdict Day.

It's kind of an odd kind of game but I wouldn't mind seeing a new Armoured Core. Admittedly, Verdict Day is my ONLY experience with armoured core. But hey, giant loving mechs with a shitload of customisation and various tactical choice elements sounds good to me.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Thinking of it as business souls in a corporate environment gives a vastly different meaning to try jumping.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

this is harsh. invest in me

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 7, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
The first time I beat the pursuer I didn't use the ballistas... he also kicked my rear end probably close to a dozen times. I did get help, but we won it just by beating the crap out of the guy. It was bad until I learned how to aggressively roll.

Even though I can chump him now. Comparatively, when I first encountered them, there were only a couple harder bosses.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

MGlBlaze posted:

And that reminds me, I'm still gradually working my way through Armoured Core: Verdict Day.

It's kind of an odd kind of game but I wouldn't mind seeing a new Armoured Core. Admittedly, Verdict Day is my ONLY experience with armoured core. But hey, giant loving mechs with a shitload of customisation and various tactical choice elements sounds good to me.
I definitely recommend the PS2 AC games (well, most of them) and For Answer, as well :v: It's a dang good series

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

I definitely recommend the PS2 AC games (well, most of them) and For Answer, as well :v: It's a dang good series

For Answer is definitely my favorite of the bunch, personally. I've a few of the PS2 games, but I haven't played them nearly as much. Always did find the games a bit unwieldy.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Pursuer is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, that's my 2 cents.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I love me some Armored Core so heres a lesson. Dont use only missile launchers in missions, unless you love having a net loss of money at the end of every mission. :staredog:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Frionnel posted:

The Pursuer is a gigantic rear end in a top hat, that's my 2 cents.
He's interesting mechanics-wise (the sound of a million goons groaning), I think. He's probably the first boss in the game that's an actual challenge you need to think about and strategize for - when I do this, he does that, how can I use that to my advantage - and that's a pretty important lesson.

Well, unless you cheese him with the ballistas but SotFS has a few words on that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Geop posted:

For Answer is my favorite in the series. A story I could actual sort of follow and the much freer boosting than before made some great twitch-play.

Oh God, what would White Glint be in a DS game? Some kind of roided out Ornstien, except in 3-dimensional combat?

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
The Pursuer is great. My first time around i unknowingly joined the hardmode covenant and had a really hard time with him.

He can be kind of a roadblock if you are a new player, but he sure does teach you a lot about the game mechanics.

As for the Hardmode Covenant, it can be kind of irritating. On my first run i thought it was something along the lines of the way of the white, so of course i joined. I often wondered why there were no summon signs but i just figured people just weren't playing DS2 as much any more (it was 4 months after release).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Pursuer Experience is vastly improved by only calling him "Percy".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

anilEhilated posted:

He's interesting mechanics-wise (the sound of a million goons groaning), I think. He's probably the first boss in the game that's an actual challenge you need to think about and strategize for - when I do this, he does that, how can I use that to my advantage - and that's a pretty important lesson.

Well, unless you cheese him with the ballistas but SotFS has a few words on that.

It's really hard to cheese him with the ballistae even in vanilla with ideal circumstances, for the reason Geop showed in his attempt. Everything could be lined up right, the bolts fly... And miss by a hair. Then he turns around and smashes the ballista trying to get to you.
I kind of view them as a trap because in all of my attempts at him, I've had way more success beating him up with a buddy/solo than using the ballistae.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rubberduke posted:

The Pursuer is great. My first time around i unknowingly joined the hardmode covenant and had a really hard time with him.

He can be kind of a roadblock if you are a new player, but he sure does teach you a lot about the game mechanics.

As for the Hardmode Covenant, it can be kind of irritating. On my first run i thought it was something along the lines of the way of the white, so of course i joined. I often wondered why there were no summon signs but i just figured people just weren't playing DS2 as much any more (it was 4 months after release).

Doesn't it give you like 3 different messages asking if you are sure you want to join? Or were those added in later?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rubberduke posted:

How did you manage to miss the message telling you that this covenant is for ruffbois only and miss the message telling you this covenant is for tuffbois only?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Garrand posted:

Doesn't it give you like 3 different messages asking if you are sure you want to join? Or were those added in later?
It does say "This will put you down an arduous path, do you really wanna?", but I thought I'd get invaded more often or something, or maybe get Gravelord Phantoms or whatever, which I was totally cool with, not "literally everything is harder now also no summons". Serves me right for assuming things, I guess :v:.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pursuer is great if only because he's one of the few bosses that's worth parrying. So great to repeatedly do that, especially if you're a summon, and then to just clown on him.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Oh God, what would White Glint be in a DS game? Some kind of roided out Ornstien, except in 3-dimensional combat?
Well, I've seen Snorlax and Pikachu get analogized to these two.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fish Noise posted:

Well, I've seen Snorlax and Pikachu get analogized to these two.

I could see that

For answer is that good? I played the demo for 4 and couldn't really get into it after loving Another Age and especially Silent Line, and liking the Nexus and Last Raven stuff. I should give the Armored Core 4 stuff another chance then?

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

It does say "This will put you down an arduous path, do you really wanna?", but I thought I'd get invaded more often or something, or maybe get Gravelord Phantoms or whatever, which I was totally cool with, not "literally everything is harder now also no summons". Serves me right for assuming things, I guess :v:.

Same for me.

What's also weird about it is that leveling it up has nothing to do with what the Covenant actually does and the rewards are not even all that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PSWII60 posted:

I could see that

For answer is that good? I played the demo for 4 and couldn't really get into it after loving Another Age and especially Silent Line, and liking the Nexus and Last Raven stuff. I should give the Armored Core 4 stuff another chance then?

Less 4, and more For Answer specifically. 4 did some strange things from what I hear; For Answer is basically a classic Armored Core game what lets you actually do all that fancy maneuvering and poo poo most of them have in the intro cinematics.

• Locked thread