Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So, which of the golem levels in nepthys are best for each kind of material?

Presumably stage 8 is best for the 4* material, and stage 1 for 1*, but what about 2* and 3*?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, which of the golem levels in nepthys are best for each kind of material?

Presumably stage 8 is best for the 4* material, and stage 1 for 1*, but what about 2* and 3*?

I think it's 2(n).

So 4 for 2* and 6 for 3*. That's what I've been using.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i just added yall as thebestalive.

any tips for a new player beyond what's in the op? chars to focus on?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

You just missed out on rad characters Muzaka, Raskreia, and Raziel. Frankenstein and Seria were also available but Frank is not good even compared to the first 5 characters you unlock on the main story path, and Seira or whatever her name was was a pay to unlock (with real dollars). Others will catch you up to speed better than I. I'd say rush through the first 4 islands to get to Jack, and if you're able to guild, do the guild raid every day. It's free resources for suiciding your dudes into a boss. And its automated.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

It seems like there's good starting characters to get you through far enough to unlock better ones to use from then on. Also some characters are good at PvE, some at PvP, some rare ones at both. The starting characters are mostly hot garbage, so you'll want to remove them and fill in better ones as soon as you can.

Good characters to use as you unlock them: Carrot, Mas, Deborah, Jenny, Lance, mayybe Sonic Boom. These guys can carry you until you get to Vulcan, which has Jack, one of the best characters in the game and he will carry you until you get to some of the last maps in the game. His third skill deals damage based on the enemy's HP, its ridiculous. After that you'll want to replace some of your old team with Serendi, which is the next character you unlock after Jack. She is very strong with a debuff removal/aoe heal and a third skill that's an aoe charm. Gillian can replace Mas as he's a decent healer with a fantastic status effect third skill. Raboff is another unlock close after Serendi and he is a great tank with the same amazing debuff effect as Gillian, as well as a stun. Dominique is directly after, but she is more oriented for PvP. Next map contains Jin, a ridiculously good scissor character for PvE due to her passive which increases her crit rate every time she does combo damage with another character. Right after Jin is Bearman, one of the best tanks in the game. Then the game gets kinda mean with no good unlocks for a long time until you get to the really really hard maps. I've been playing for 3 or 4 months now and I still haven't unlocked any of the characters on Ashan, let alone Moon Island.

While you're grinding for good characters on the story maps, don't forget to try your best in the pvp Battle and Dimensional Breakthrough maps. The former, through victories, earns you battle points which are given out every Sunday and can be used to unlock a niche character Persona, an alright ranged character Nox, and the best healer in the game, Belle. Dimensional Breakthrough is used to grind for Lena and Fruel, two excellent characters hidden behind an obnoxious grind. Save your perfect genes for these two characters.

At the end of every month you'll be given a stack of blue genes used to unlock special characters, or buy genes for them. The best picks for new players are probably Tao or Alex. Alex is paper and has a nice aoe stun. Tao is a strong scissor character with the strongest Weaken skill in the game. Rage is another good choice, but he's just a very strong Rock type ranged attacker.

In the shop are characters to unlock with ancient coins. Mu is probably the best, then Unknown. Both have good stuns.

There are others here much more knowledgeable about the game than me, but I don't think I've given too bad of starting advice here.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

that's a good start thanks. i'd just gotten carrot so i'm leveling her to catch up with my party then i'll do the same for lance.

looks like i just missed out on a costume too, drat.

any suggestions on what to use event points for? i did some 3 or 4 equip box pulls and got a 5* which is nice but it'll be awhile before i can take advantage of it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

baram. posted:

Somefool made a big effort post about this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post461019990

In fact, see that little ? mark button under peoples avatars, next to the post date? Click that and it'll show you the post history in this thread for that user.

You can pretty much just read Somefool's post history and have a really, really solid idea of what you need to do for an extremely long time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

baram. posted:

i applied to overflowtax as thebestalive.

Sorry for rejecting your friend request, thought you were a pubby. Resend if you like.

e: Mas is a great support unit, and your first real healer. Serendi and Gillan from Foose are both quite good. All of the heroes in Glory are worth recruiting and using. Poni isn't special, but is a solid unit. Girgas has Bearman, who is an amazing tank, as well as Moa and Jin who are worthwhile. From there, you can build a solid team to carry you to the A-list endgame heroes. You do want to recruit basically every hero eventually; the Tower of Dawn changes every month and can require niche heroes for some levels.

It kind of sucks that you missed out on the Noblesse heroes, though; two of them are top-teir, one is quite good, and the third... well, at least you aren't missing out on much from Frank.

e2: Yeah, forgot about Valkyrie. She's a great tank and can be obtained by showing up to every raid each day for one week. You don't have to do anything other than have attempted each map at least once.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 6, 2016

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

baram. posted:

that's a good start thanks. i'd just gotten carrot so i'm leveling her to catch up with my party then i'll do the same for lance.

looks like i just missed out on a costume too, drat.

any suggestions on what to use event points for? i did some 3 or 4 equip box pulls and got a 5* which is nice but it'll be awhile before i can take advantage of it.

The beginning of the game really loving sucks without event heroes but thank god the event gives lvl 200 coocoos.

For daily buys:
-Equipment capsule: Buy both daily. They can give accessories which are pretty hard to get if you're new to the game.
-Gold: Buy it even if you find yourself with a surplus of gold. Later on, you will eat through it super fast.
-Mana Stones: Really useful early on.
-Soulstone: Ignore it.
-Key of Darkness: Ignore it.
-Energy Potion: You do want to play more don't you?
-Golden Coocoo: Buy all 3 types and use them. These will skyrocket your heroes early on. Try to save the rock types for Jack and get him to 5* quickly.
-Mod Stones: Try to buy all of these every day if possible. They're needed for the final push for end game.

Limited stuff is a bit harder because a lot of stuff you won't be using early on and it's basically an investment for if you ever reach the end game.

The costumes are nice, but they aren't super important. They will be limited to this event only, so get them if you like the looks.

Try to aim for the weapon and accessory for the set. You can get the final piece towards the end of the event if you have spare coins. Not many heroes can take advantage of the dodge bonus, but the extra defense will go a long way.

Also try to get into a guild as soon as possible and do guild raid for a week for an easy free hero. Valkyrie is a much better tank than Chris and if you max her 1st skill, she will have her own self sustaining heal.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Somefool made a big effort post about this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post461019990

In fact, see that little ? mark button under peoples avatars, next to the post date? Click that and it'll show you the post history in this thread for that user.

You can pretty much just read Somefool's post history and have a really, really solid idea of what you need to do for an extremely long time.

It's third post in the OP!

:negative:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
Some other thoughts:

- Use all your honor swords, win or lose, if you need energy. Even a loss gives you one point of pvp currency and one energy, a win just gives two more points of pvp currency. Start working on Belle. 100 participation each week gives a nice reward.

- Do Dimensional Breakthrough as far as you can each day. It gives energy and gold, and right now it has a 100% drop rate on genes for Fruel and Lena. The latter is one of the best heroes.

- Start working on the Tower of Dawn once you're far enough to open it. The first bunch of floors are easy and give great rewards. It will eventually get challenging, and you'll run into stat checks. I personally find it the most fun of anything in the game; they redesign it each month and some of the boss fights can be quite clever.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 6, 2016

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's third post in the OP!

:negative:

Not that I don't appreciate the huge amount of effort that went into making the OP, but that post is massive and it's totally impossible for someone fairly new to the game to parse all of that information. I've been playing for awhile now and I still can't make my way through all that info.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
[quote="Hodgepodge" post="461793017"]
Some other thoughts:

- Do Dimensional Breakthrough as far as you can each day. It gives energy and gold, and right now it has a 100% drop rate on genes for Fruel and Lena. The latter is one of the best heroes.

When the hell was this announced? I thought it went away.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Korean patch notes are out, someone was kind enough to translate them: https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyWarTactics/comments/4ri93q/patch_notes_on_cafe/

Guaranteed set item on 10x pull is back, along with the next week's items:
1* Slime King's Dignity, Magical Girl, Lista Blizzard.
2* Taunting Busybody, Legion, Pacifist.
3* Rebel Commander, Outer Space, Tiger Claw Tribe Guardian
4* Tower of Dawn Guardian, Dragon Slayer, Ketarh's Secret
5* Klein's Secret Notebook, Sun Flash, Mantra of Awakening

1, 3, and 5 all have reasonable A ranks, with 3 and 5 following that with good S-ranks, and 5 topping that with loving Klein's.

For my money, I'll be pulling for at least 1 more piece of Outer Space, because I transcended away one too many, and I'll be following that with trying for another piece of Klein's, where 2-2-1 means no matter what I draw, I'll be able to complete a useful set.

In the patch:

Krut's lost island is back for those who came in after he ended. Do not fail to obtain him.
Expedition times are being reduced for the event, and hero XP and gold rewards increased.
A $30 package giving 2 soul gear summon scrolls, 10k soul stones, 1 million gold, and 2 energy potions.
19 new soul gears, highlights are:
Gillan's weapon giving +10% disarm chance.
Nox's wings giving +18% HP drain
Nirvana's weapon giving another +2k defense on his third skill.
Dolores' wings giving +4.2% gold bonus, bringing him to +12%
Lilid's weapon giving +1 range to his third skill at level 10
Lilid's wings giving +7% regen from his passive.
Alfred's wings giving his spammable second skill +20% charm chance.
Jin's weapon giving her third skill +1 Range
Jin's wings giving her second skill +1 AOE
Raboff's weapon giving his already nuts third skill +10% disarm chance.
Sione's weapon and wings giving a giant DOT boost.
Azrael's translation is odd, but it either adds +12% attack or regen (the latter would be nearly a doubling) when he's on a non-normal terrain tile.
Alex's weapon gives +10% stun chance.
Kitty's wings increase her second skill's stun by 20%, to a max of 100%
Tao's wings give her second skill +1 AOE at level 10.
Dominique's weapon and wings BOTH boost her third skill, giving 30% more damage and 1200 more defense ignore, total.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

Korean patch notes are out, someone was kind enough to translate them: https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyWarTactics/comments/4ri93q/patch_notes_on_cafe/

Guaranteed set item on 10x pull is back, along with the next week's items:
1* Slime King's Dignity, Magical Girl, Lista Blizzard.
2* Taunting Busybody, Legion, Pacifist.
3* Rebel Commander, Outer Space, Tiger Claw Tribe Guardian
4* Tower of Dawn Guardian, Dragon Slayer, Ketarh's Secret
5* Klein's Secret Notebook, Sun Flash, Mantra of Awakening

1, 3, and 5 all have reasonable A ranks, with 3 and 5 following that with good S-ranks, and 5 topping that with loving Klein's.

For my money, I'll be pulling for at least 1 more piece of Outer Space, because I transcended away one too many, and I'll be following that with trying for another piece of Klein's, where 2-2-1 means no matter what I draw, I'll be able to complete a useful set.

In the patch:

Krut's lost island is back for those who came in after he ended. Do not fail to obtain him.
Expedition times are being reduced for the event, and hero XP and gold rewards increased.
A $30 package giving 2 soul gear summon scrolls, 10k soul stones, 1 million gold, and 2 energy potions.
Nirvana's weapon giving another +2k defense on his third skill.
Dolores' wings giving +4.2% gold bonus, bringing him to +12%
Lilid's weapon giving +1 range to his third skill at level 10
Jin's weapon giving her third skill +1 Range
Jin's wings giving her second skill +1 AOE
Sione's weapon and wings giving a giant DOT boost.
Azrael's translation is odd, but it either adds +12% attack or regen (the latter would be nearly a doubling) when he's on a non-normal terrain tile.
Alex's weapon gives +10% stun chance.
Kitty's wings increase her second skill's stun by 20%, to a max of 100%
Tao's wings give her second skill +1 AOE at level 10.
Dominique's weapon and wings BOTH boost her third skill, giving 30% more damage and 1200 more defense ignore, total.

I have two sets of outer space, who is a good choice for it and what sort of build are you shooting for? Just as much counter as possible?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DonnyTrump posted:

I have two sets of outer space, who is a good choice for it and what sort of build are you shooting for? Just as much counter as possible?

In the words of noted whale Barsark, don't make a counter build. Take someone that is already good, and make them do 100% counters with good damage.

Any character with sustain/self heal (Nox, Jack, Unknown, Tao, Lilid, Azrael, Belle, Nirvana, Shu-Shu), or characters with good range/aoe and durability (Muzaka, Krut, Klein) are good candidates for Outer Space assbeatings.

Outer Space also pairs super well with Gold Tiger, and if you have both, pair them up on one of the former type.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So what's the practical difference between attack/damage and defense/lessdamage?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So what's the practical difference between attack/damage and defense/lessdamage?

Attack and defense are your basic values, and go through more multipliers on the way to the final number. +-%Damage is one of those multipliers, and since stacking multipliers is the basis of true power, the former is generally better than the latter.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Attack and defense are your basic values, and go through more multipliers on the way to the final number. +-%Damage is one of those multipliers, and since stacking multipliers is the basis of true power, the former is generally better than the latter.

And from my understanding, +%Damage is more important for Jack and Lena because it works with their 3rd skills, which scale based on enemy HP

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DontMindMe posted:

And from my understanding, +%Damage is more important for Jack and Lena because it works with their 3rd skills, which scale based on enemy HP

Yes, but ONLY on weapon. The +%Damage on accessory won't do it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

NinjaDebugger posted:

:woop:

In case anyone doesn't know, Krut is the poo poo.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

You know I was going to blow a book just to +10 Yeka's wings, but it looks like I have a new priority. :catstare:

This new batch of Soul Gear is actually super helpful for guild raid. The fact that Alex gets his before Unknown now makes him the best 1st turn stunner in the game. Guess it still stands that Alex is the better blue gene hero if you want to do raids.

Somefool fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2016

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Well, first is obviously gonna be that Dolores gear. Then Raboff then maybe Alex? I'd say I'd rather have whatever Krut is gonna get, but who knows when that'll be. That's a really good set of soul gears.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone up for spending some keys today to see if we can push into top 50?

edit: I managed to push it up to 45th. Keep pushing! :argh:

Somefool fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Somefool posted:

Anyone up for spending some keys today to see if we can push into top 50?

edit: I managed to push it up to 45th. Keep pushing! :argh:

I spent mine last night and got my first ever S- rank.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm gunning for these guys.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

:toot:

These extra scrolls go a long way with all these new soul gear.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I just got my first soul gear scroll.

How good is Jack's soul weapon? 20% more damage off his 3rd seems pretty great.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

I just got my first soul gear scroll.

How good is Jack's soul weapon? 20% more damage off his 3rd seems pretty great.

It doesn't affect the HP% Damage portion, so it's actually worthless. Soul gear is pretty specific on which part of the skill it changes.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I still have 2 scrolls waiting to be spent, the only one that I saw that was a 100% unquestionably clear winner was Bearmans. Still haven't decided where to put the other two, but there's no need to rush the decision.

Speaking of: Bearmans stun at max rank has a stun chance of 88%. The soul gear adds 20% to that. No matter how it stacks( [88+(88 * 0.2) = 105%], or [88+20% = 108%], I'm not sure which it is but it doesn't really matter for this question), it's a greater than 100% chance to stun. Does the overflow get lost, or does that mean it can potentially bypass flat resists, like the +5% resist you get from the Soul Gear set bonus? Or does it just do nothing? If it does nothing, rank 9 is actually all you need for 100% stun chance, so that would be pretty swell.

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Valentine posted:

I still have 2 scrolls waiting to be spent, the only one that I saw that was a 100% unquestionably clear winner was Bearmans. Still haven't decided where to put the other two, but there's no need to rush the decision.

Speaking of: Bearmans stun at max rank has a stun chance of 88%. The soul gear adds 20% to that. No matter how it stacks( [88+(88 * 0.2) = 105%], or [88+20% = 108%], I'm not sure which it is but it doesn't really matter for this question), it's a greater than 100% chance to stun. Does the overflow get lost, or does that mean it can potentially bypass flat resists, like the +5% resist you get from the Soul Gear set bonus? Or does it just do nothing? If it does nothing, rank 9 is actually all you need for 100% stun chance, so that would be pretty swell.

Are you mathing things wrong? Bearman's max stun rate is 75% at level 10. All soul gear bonus is additive, even the damage ones. This puts Bearman's stun rate at 95% with a level 10 soul gear.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I still haven't decided who I'm putting soul gear on with my 1 scroll. Aside from that tutorial scroll that made me give it to Chris. I'm actually mad about raskreia's gear because that extra mp + the other stuff would have been awesome.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Somefool posted:

Are you mathing things wrong? Bearman's max stun rate is 75% at level 10. All soul gear bonus is additive, even the damage ones. This puts Bearman's stun rate at 95% with a level 10 soul gear.

Oh for fucks sake it adds it on the skill description. I figured it wouldn't and so I added the two manually. How did I not notice after all this time, uggghhhh..

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Generally, if you want to get the most out of soul gear, you want things that increases the chance of something happening. If you plan to go up to +10, aim for the ones that can add range.

Another thing to look at is how much a soul gear gives at +10. +7 is half the effect of +10 and +5 is a quarter of +10. This should give you an idea as to how much you have to invest in upgrading before you get something useful.

Kitty's wings is looking extremely good right now because it can add up to 20% chance to stun. With a +7 soul gear, her stun chance would be a little over 90%. That's a 5 tile long line stun and if you can +10 her wings, that's 100% chance.

I wouldn't aim for soul gear that only increases damage unless it happens to be on a hero specialized in one shotting dudes. You can always get more damage with better gear so don't waste soul gear.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Wait.

They want HOW many genes for Krut?

I can't beat level four of his island, even though I SS'd 3. This is gonna be rough. :negative:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It might be hard and take you awhile, but I promise he's totally worth it. My okay but not great geared Krut is so far out of my other units league that they aren't even in the same ballpark anymore.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Time to get the gud man, krut. I'm glad they brought him back. Anyways, what's that secret hour thing about?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

do you think i can get krut if i can only grind the first level and would just be starting?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

baram. posted:

do you think i can get krut if i can only grind the first level and would just be starting?

The first level gives very few genes, but Lost Island runs tend to give good exp., so you should be able to move up to at least the second tier after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Yeah I get 2k whic is about the same as I can get from an exp boosted hard mode so I'll probably stick with it. Burned ~200 stam I had built up and only wound up at 57 genes tho

• Locked thread