Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah, after thinking it over I gotta go with 1A - Jojoken Outskirts

I'm curious about which 'mechs will get sidegraded. In the city where a lot of pavement PSR's might be a thing a few pilots losing a point of piloting could be pretty bad... but I think I'm still gonna say 2A - Take the sidegrade. Some specialized equipment couldn't hurt.

I'm also 100% sure that the fixed up Awesome is gonna be... awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I assumed that the sidegrade just meant the Spec Ops PA(L) Screamer, but if we can get some of the lights upgraded for a defense mission that would be fantastic too. Especially since stuff like the gunsmith from last mission is just one giant "Skids in to building, falls in to basement, never seen or heard from again" accident waiting to happen if we are city fighting.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay I got confused at what take the sidegrades meant.

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
1A) Jojoken Outskirts

2A) Yes

I look forward to city shenanigans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1c, 2a

E: I think there's confusion over whether the sidegrade is "uprating some of the lighter mechs" or "giving Jason body armour". I'm presuming it's the latter, since the first is a straight upgrade.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 7, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Take Sidegrade

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm also confused about what the Sidegrade in question is. I assumed it was the offer to "uprate some of our Lights". Is it actually regarding the Screamer?

Also, our Awesome is back! :bubblewoop:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

1B Voting for the underdog. Mountainfight!
2A Taking whatever Amaris throws at them has been good to the Demon Hawks so far.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

1C
2A

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why would you get anything?

I think he means something for Noretti to pilot, but the Awesome just came back so that's probably moot. Also an Awesome is about the same size as the Warhawk that Noretti was piloting before, so perhaps more familiar?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 6, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Is it actually regarding the Screamer?

It's not.

So, to sell people who are waffling:

Jojoken Outskirts: doesn't need my help. The map will take longer to set up than all of the others because I'll need to make more buildings to keep it from looking like garbage.

Mt. Kalgalath: a failed piloting check could cascade failure enough to throw a `Mech out of the battle area and down an entire mountain. The map will be easiest to make since I don't have to think about tree placement.

Morgaine River Delta: We have never had a river delta in thread before, it's a completely new environment with unique challenges.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 6, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Battlefield Vote:
1) Which Battlefield will the Demon Hawks take?
1A) Jojoken Outskirts Minimizing the clans' aerotech advantage is most important in my opinion. Certainly, the city will make infantry and battle armour a high priority and constant worry, though.

2) Take the `Mech sidegrade?
2A) Yes
Seriously, Amaris kits us out like mechs are going out of style, let's get some heft going. Hopefully everyone learns their new ride ok, though.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
1C. Morgaine River Delta because we've never had a river delta before.

2A. Take the sidegrade because new toys!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Voting for 1A and 2A.

The swamp map gives the Clanners' higher gunnery skill an advantage since it hampers 'Mech movement, while the mountain map exposes Goonsquad to more aeros. The citymap allows infantry to hide, sure, but that can be addressed by having BAP.

And Amaris's tech has been very helpful in the past - might as well take advantage of it while it's available.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
1C) Morgaine River Delta: I want some swamp combat action and reminds me of that Mechwarrior level they did everything they could to gently caress with a batchall.

And of course, Yes, we want new toys.

edit: Clan infantry worse in city or swamp?

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Having been on a recent Armored Trooper VOTOMS kick, I have to say the idea of fighting in Space 80's Vietnam is really appealing. Gotta go with my gut here:

1C
Take The Sidegrade

Also, not sure if I ever was added to the list, Poptarts. If not, could you squeeze me in?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Voting 1A since it's the best chance of trucks appearing in mission, and hence the mission with the highest likelihood of trucks dying horrible, painful deaths.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

This. and take the sidegrade(s)

Are there any tangible benefits Jason would see by undertaking the training and using the battle armor? Would the penalty for piloting it still remain, etc?

Wearing power armor in the cockpit negates most, if not all, pilot hits. Presumably he would no longer be leaving the cockpit black and blue.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm really torn. City fights are awesome, and I think it'd be our best bet overall. But City maps are also hell on PTN, and undoubtedly there will be rear end in a top hat infantry. We might get to see Dadlas Kool-Aid man through a building, though!
The River Delta would at least free us from infantry, but I feel like getting bogged down makes it easier for superior Clan weaponry to carry the day.

Ultimately, I think I have to vote:
1A - Jojoken's Bizarre Adventure.
2A - Sure Uncle Stevie, we'd love some more free candy from your van! (Take the sidegrades)

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
1C and 2A please.

Everyone likes some new toys. Also this river delta is framed as a power plant for the weapon project, which means there's a dam. And the whole thing is a trap, which means one of the contingencies is blowing the dam, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If we go river delta, can we sidegrade to boats?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

1C, 2A

Rivers are cool, battle armor are not cool. Easy to understand!

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
Here is the relevant fluff for the second question of the vote:

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should have a weight advantage—but we’d be willing to uprate some of your lighter machines if you’d like to make sure.

2A) Yes
2B) No

My vote is 1c and 2a

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As an aside, the concept of a combination hydroelectric and fusion power station is funny to me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

As an aside, the concept of a combination hydroelectric and fusion power station is funny to me.

Well, in BattleTech it's a bit redundant since fusion power is already hydroelectric :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Artificer posted:

1C) Morgaine River Delta - gently caress battle armor. gently caress infantry.

This. I think we've had way too many close calls with good infantry being deployed, let's take them out of equation.

Also:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fun fact about swamps:

They don't slow `Mechs down (it's the river tributaries that'll do that) unless you jump into a swamp hex.

Don't jump into a swamp hex, there's a good chance that'll immobilize you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

1A, and 2A

City Hijinks and More Toys!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fun fact about swamps:

They don't slow `Mechs down (it's the river tributaries that'll do that) unless you jump into a swamp hex.

Don't jump into a swamp hex, there's a good chance that'll immobilize you.

What if you DFA someone into a swamp hex? Does your goomba stomp bleed off enough momentum to save you?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Artificer posted:

1C) Morgaine River Delta - gently caress battle armor. gently caress infantry.

2A What mech will the sidegrade replace?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

1A and take the sidegrade.

I'm curious if the spec ops Screamer will have an altered weapon loadout. The base design doesn't leave much room for fiddling around.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

1C) Morgaine River Delta - No more Elementals!

2A) Take the sidegrade - if COOTS wants to kick things, he needs a bigger Mech than a Gunsmith.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloody Pom posted:

1A and take the sidegrade.

I'm curious if the spec ops Screamer will have an altered weapon loadout. The base design doesn't leave much room for fiddling around.

I like that there's a special Spec Ops version of a Mech only 8 people are qualified to pilot. Amaris (Both?) loves to tinker.

I wonder if Kemper Varas was one of those 8.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

goatface posted:

It kind of makes sense, if the fusion plant is one of those that needs a whole lot of energy just to wind itself up. Sure you get back more than you put in, but where do you get the energy to spin up that massive magnetic containment field in the first place? Maybe that's what the hydro does.

Maybe - and this is actually a serious maybe - the fusion plant spends some of the power pumping water back up into the reservoir. Because hydro is one of those types of power that you can ramp up pretty easily just by opening some extra turbine gates, so the fusion can run at peak efficiency every minute of the day and the pumped-storage handles variance in load. This is something we do already, and it's freaking awesome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_County_Pumped_Storage_Station

So perhaps it's a fusion plant co-located with a big pumped-storage setup.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

1C and 2A

The swampy delta sounds pretty interesting and a very different situation. Could be a fun challenge!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Voting 1C and take the side grade . This campaign is amazing, and I'd like to see the swamp stuff in action with the crazy shenanigans we've had so far. Imagine clanners piling into a quagmire to get our brave mercs!

Also from a practical standpoint I think we are more likely to bag Amaris a bunch of idiots if we're not in terrain they can hunker down in.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
I'm glad to see the Awesome back, no matter what sort of 'Mech-of-Theseus kind of shape it is returned to us in.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
1C; variety is the spice of life, and we've had city fights before.

2A; getting to see new toys is always fun.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
1A
2A

What better place for the Dadlas to go for a repeat that a close quarters city fight?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm with W.T. Fits.

1C, 2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
After taking a look at our 'mech composition last time, I am inclined to go with 1A, since our force seems to have quite a few 'Mechs in it that would be a god drat nightmare to fight in a city. The more mobile units will have the maneuverability to break LoS if things get too hairy or to flank unsuspecting Clanners, and those units which are less mobile lean towards having weapons which make them lethal in close quarters. The biggest issues in our force is the Salamander and the Champion, which are long range fire support 'Mechs, which might get hosed if they crowded.

Of course, everything I just said about us applies to the enemy too. Their mobile units will be utter bastards, able to get in and out easily, while their heavies tend to be nightmares up close.

As for the side grade, hell yes, I am voting for 2A.

• Locked thread