Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i am not. i am just asking if you know, we quietly told Putin that we would look the other way, would they you know, bring this whole messy business to an end.

this is the brand of thinking that actually resulted in all of the US's worst fp mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

the only people who talk about a western crusade against muslims is isis. and funnily enough, they used to cite US inaction in syria as evidence of the us not valuing muslim lives.

Well that's because we're not doing a massive belligerent occupation of a Muslim country (just some small occupation) that rhetoric was certainly accepted by more than just AQ sympathizers after the Iraq invasion

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kristov posted:

All y'all are talking about intervention like the US is some omnipotent leviathan that may impose it's will wherever and whenever it wishes.

The US can't just invade whoever it wants whenever it wants. If we invade a country like Iran, we will lose. If we invade Syria we will lose. There is literally no way to win in these situations because there is so end game. There is no win. There is no plausible situation where we can look back 10 years from now and say that that was a good idea.

just vb, really

UberJew posted:

my hope is that obama installed somewhere in the white house a massive scroll writ in letters of eternal fire entitled 'things the united states of america, in its lack of omnipotence, is incapable of doing' on which the first line reads 'resolve a sectarian conflict in the middle east through military intervention'

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kristov posted:

All y'all are talking about intervention like the US is some omnipotent leviathan that may impose it's will wherever and whenever it wishes.

The US can't just invade whoever it wants whenever it wants. If we invade a country like Iran, we will lose. If we invade Syria we will lose. There is literally no way to win in these situations because there is so end game. There is no win. There is no plausible situation where we can look back 10 years from now and say that that was a good idea.

The US could have gone into Syria with as bumblefuck of a strategy as Iraq and it still would be better than this.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
like ten thousands of these things

Aeryk fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 6, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Disinterested posted:

this is the brand of thinking that actually resulted in all of the US's worst fp mistakes

uh, the republic of vietnam was a democracy my dog

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Why no calls for armed intervention in South Sudan. Is it cause Syrians are white

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That's pretty racist vb

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Disinterested posted:

i think the world is more or less resolved to just let syria turn entirely to ashes now

Pretty much this.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

Why no calls for armed intervention in South Sudan. Is it cause Syrians are white

it's cause they have gopros

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh jesus christ, is sudan at it again? khartoum, i will turn this car around.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
take solace that we are living in the end times anyway

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
there is one easy way to make the suffering go away

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

slavatuvs posted:

take solace that we are living in the end times anyway

only if god loves us

which he plainly does not

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slavatuvs posted:

there is one easy way to make the suffering go away

In before the rotd puppy gif

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

oh jesus christ, is sudan at it again? khartoum, i will turn this car around.

Sudan is supporting south Sudan in the brutal civil war there

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I like that the standard discussion about US intervention in Syria skips over the intervention we already did and are doing right now

like, our intervention on behalf of the SDF is just sorts skimmed over, cuz "real" intervention in Syria means picking a side in the SAA vs FSA fight (and please ignore the TOWs we gave the FSA for years)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What? Last I knew Sudan was robbing South Sudan blind.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

fade5 posted:

I like that the standard discussion about US intervention in Syria skips over the intervention we already did and are doing right now

like, our intervention on behalf of the SDF is just sorts skimmed over, cuz "real" intervention in Syria means picking a side in the SAA vs FSA fight (and please ignore the TOWs we gave the FSA for years)

Technically the US is intervening in Syria as part of their conflict with ISIS on behalf of Iraq

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Oddly enough LRA is in Sudan occupied south Sudan making money poaching elephants

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Volkerball posted:

In before the rotd puppy gif

on one hand, mass human extermination could be a net positive on the environment

on the other hand, no bread. i know which side mine is buttered

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

What? Last I knew Sudan was robbing South Sudan blind.

There's a civil war currently in "restive peace" phase. Over 100,000 killed in 2 years.

I can link you some nice reports of government troops deliberately running over civilians with tanks and forcing people to eat the cooked flesh of dead bodies

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

ISIS is the sidiest of side fights. They were never going to be sustainable. ISIS disappearing does not address what caused their rise, or the root cause of death in Syria. And the CIA arming program didn't amount to much. Harakat Hazm? A group so prominent that they don't even exist anymore. Meanwhile, KSA has an outright proxy force in Syria.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Volkerball posted:

The US could have gone into Syria with as bumblefuck of a strategy as Iraq and it still would be better than this.

No it wouldn't. It would be like the Russians in Afghanistan with the roles reversed.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Syria is not a lonely pariah state. And you bet your rear end Iran would have nukes now if we flattened their only ally.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
we're just living in the beginning of the resource wars before the long emergency

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
which is sad, as we won't get to be young for the mad max style times

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Berke Negri posted:

are you condoning genocide binow

he's with her

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Cie la vie.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kristov posted:

No it wouldn't. It would be like the Russians in Afghanistan with the roles reversed.

Nuh uh it would be like *googles wars with high death tolls* Afghanistan!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
still i can one shot a death claw with my anti-material rifle

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Disinterested posted:

nah usually it's the belief we gotta do something, anything no matter how stupid or destructive

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
so i'll be fine even if im like 80 and cancerous

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

There's a civil war currently in "restive peace" phase. Over 100,000 killed in 2 years.

I can link you some nice reports of government troops deliberately running over civilians with tanks and forcing people to eat the cooked flesh of dead bodies

Eating cooked flesh eh? So where are the so called moderates

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Volkerball posted:

Nuh uh it would be like *googles wars with high death tolls* Afghanistan!

well someone's being petty

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

comes along bort posted:

nah usually it's the belief we gotta do something, anything no matter how stupid or destructive

this is not it at all actually

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Disinterested posted:

i am glad you caught what i was upto

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
The tribe will know me as Father Long Rock and I will supply meat and wisdom

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ultimate end times horror - the world doesnt end and its just the same kind of poo poo its always been until the sun burns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slavatuvs posted:

The tribe will know me as Father Long Rock and I will supply meat and wisdom

Chief squats on road

• Locked thread