Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Customer Service, invented by humans, innovated on by Clown Emporium, doesn't work yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Community Management, invented by the games industry, innovated on by Clown Emporium, has created a rabid toxic fanbase, doesn't work yet

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Developer Videos, invented by the games industry, innovated on by Clown Emporium, have now been cancelled

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

Room decompression:
Invented by COD IW, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work yet

Procedural planetary tech:
Invented by David Braben & others, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work yet

Grabby Hands:
Invented by OctoDad, copied by Star Citizen, not in the game yet

MultiCrew ships:
Invented by Pulsar Lost Colony & many others, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work yet because everyone clips through the ship

Multiplayer space dogfighting:
Invented by many, in Elite Dangerous, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work properly because the networking need rewritten from scratch

Detailed ship damage modelling:
Invented by Elite Dangerous, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work properly

Trading:
Invented by every MMO ever, copied by Star Citizen, not in the game yet

Travelling in Fleets:
Working and scalable to 100+ ships in Elite Dangerous, not in Star Citizen because the networking has to be rewritten

Tactical FPS combat:
Invented by ARMA and others, copied by Star Citizen, is a broken janky mess because the networking has to be rewritten

Alien Languages in game:
Invented by Captain Blood, not in Star Citizen yet

Radar Features:
Invented by every sim game ever, copied by Star Citizen, follow the little pointer and click on it to shoot because this is 1991

Armour Types:
Invented in medieval times, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work, clothing types do nothing

SOMETHINGJONES VS. MOMA

"Begin!"

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

SomethingJones posted:

Armour Types:
Invented in medieval times, copied by Star Citizen, doesn't work, clothing types do nothing

hahaha

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Releasing a game, invented by game publishers, innovated on by Clown Emporium, 5 years and $117 million later and doesn't work yet

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SomethingJones posted:

And then try and pass it off as an "investment".

If you make a bad investment you warn others to stay away.

Lol @ people who call their video game purchase an "investment". Throwing money into the SC dumpster fire, putting it into a mutual fund, same difference

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I'm waiting for one single piece of innovation. Where is it? Even if it's in one of their """""""concept"""""""" videos?
Where is it?

Disco Lando said to the whole Star Citizen community just yesterday, "Show don't TELL" - so show me? Where is it?
Where is it?

If someone tells me "the CONCEPT is innovative" they will literally be laughed off the internet.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Foo Diddley posted:

Lol @ people who call their video game purchase an "investment". Throwing money into the SC dumpster fire, putting it into a mutual fund, same difference

That sound you hear is 1.3 million monocles popping out and hitting the floor

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
My MoMA said, "To get things done you better not mess with Major Tom."

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Foo Diddley posted:

i like it when they call it an investment and then casually go "well win some lose some its a risk"

As if losing 100% of your "investment" is a common occurrence.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SurfaceDetail posted:

i like it when they call it an investment and then casually go "well win some lose some its a risk"

Even in the best case scenario, they're just going to get a video game. You're not exactly gonna send the kids to college with that

But then again, who will need college when we're all living in the 'verse? Those kids will be the haves and all us skeptics who didn't buy in early enough will be the have-nots

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SurfaceDetail posted:

All those people have 'invested' all that money in Chris Roberts, and the only innovation that has occurred is that PayPal won't chargeback crowdfunding payments anymore

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
well yea the whole investment argument is retarded to begin with. But extra retarded because they think investments are like betting on black on roulette.

Honestly they seem like preorders pretty straightforward, at least for game packages and ships. I paid for access to a game and digital goods to use in the game. Preorders by precedent are refundable according to several cases. Its not a donation. You clearly pick out what game package and ship you want, then buy it. Its not like the loving red cross where you just cut them a check. "well theyre gonna use it on development, its a donation".. Well no poo poo poo poo for brains. Every company uses the revenue it receives to make products. CIG is not unique or a special snowflake company.

I mean any commando reading this, if you preordered BF1/Mass effect/etc and they cancelled the game, you gonna go "well win some lose some?"
You can preorder any game right this second and then get a refund at any point up until you play the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

these are good I approve. Tthought they had 25 year banned you.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SurfaceDetail posted:

Gonna go to atlantic city and invest in some blackjack and slots.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Wafflz posted:

Gonna go to atlantic city and invest in some blackjack and slots.

I invested in the Eagles last year to at least make it to the NFCCG. Well easy come easy go thats investing for ya.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SurfaceDetail posted:

I invested in the Eagles last year to at least make it to the NFCCG. Well easy come easy go thats investing for ya.

I bought some shares in that big powerball fund but it didn't pan out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Welp, guess it is time to hunker down with my slippers, robe and pipe and feast my eyes on the Wing Commander novel. Time to stoke up the fireplace as I settle in for the night.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SurfaceDetail posted:

these are good I approve. Tthought they had 25 year banned you.

So did they :getin:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lol, m0ma got rekt by our official scribe.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Foo Diddley posted:

Even in the best case scenario, they're just going to get a video game. You're not exactly gonna send the kids to college with that

But then again, who will need college when we're all living in the 'verse? Those kids will be the haves and all us skeptics who didn't buy in early enough will be the have-nots

You gotta love the citizens. The honestly believe that this will be the game to end all games. Everyone will want to be in on this . Real businesses will need to have a presence in Star Citizen if they want to compete in the marketplace! Like Second Life, but better! Of the 7 billion people on the planet, 1 out of 100 will be on star citizen. Guaranteed! That's like 700 million people! And the people holding the ships will be the ones wielding the power.

So look out Taco Bell! If you want to set up shop in this corner of the verse, you need to pay for protection from my mighty fleet!

Hey, how is Second Life doing anyhow? I haven't checked in since the Second Life Safari days.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"Afterburner" is a feature listed on the Star Citizen Features list.

Pulsar Lost Colony has procedurally generated galaxies, 5 player classes and 3 playable factions.

Star Citizen doesn't have any of that, but it has an innovative 'afterburner'

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Did Robberts write the Wig Commander novels? I would legit read them to see what we're in for in S42 if that's the case

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

"Afterburner" is a feature listed on the Star Citizen Features list.

Pulsar Lost Colony has procedurally generated galaxies, 5 player classes and 3 playable factions.

Star Citizen doesn't have any of that, but it has an innovative 'afterburner'

You can also buy brown shoes

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
I mean I have to hand it to CIG this is the first time you can buy a baseball cap in a spaceship game set 900 years in the future.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ahem, actually the enemy's gate is down

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

I am ded

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
MoMA I'm just going to the fridge here to grab another beer, so if I might not see any replies for a few minutes

Just a bit of basic courtesy there MoMA, I like to win friends and influence people. Sandi is my role model after all.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Barn Folk posted:

Real businesses will need to have a presence in Star Citizen if they want to compete in the marketplace! Like Second Life, but better!

My favorite "businesses in Second Life" story ended with some higher-up at Nintendo getting e-molested while he was AFK, and the footage being played while he was giving his presentation

E3 seems kind of weaksauce compared to that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

My favorite "businesses in Second Life" story ended with some higher-up at Nintendo getting e-molested while he was AFK, and the footage being played while he was giving his presentation

E3 seems kind of weaksauce compared to that

You really need to post links to this sort of stuff.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

You really need to post links to this sort of stuff.

I'm looking for it, dammit

A-ha! http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=22495.0

Also, the place I originally saw it was right here on the forums, apparently: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2886637&pagenumber=8#post345639523

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 6, 2016

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ken Major Tom.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/750817938932920320