Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Man, I love a good city fight with an EW advantage. And infantry, especially using them as spotters for indirect fire shenanigans. Caveat, I usually played Clans. Once managed to sneak a Dire Wolf S completely unseen three quarters of the way across the map for some surprise backstabs.

I'm torn. City brawls can be wonderful and we can exploit the hell out of our ace jumpymechs. On the other hand a river map is new, hurts clan mobility and avoids their infantry/battle armor, which are in their element (pun unintended for once) in urban settings.

Let's go for new. Either would be cool. 1C.

Also, never turn down toys from a man who gave his son command of the most advanced nation in human-inhabited space for his birthday. 2A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
1C and 2A. The negatives impact both teams equally and we're defending so we don't need to be as mobile. It'll be tough if the clans decide to kite, but I don't think they will.

Sidegrade because heavier mech is better, especially if you're going to be slow anyway.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah, I voted for the city but I think all 3 sound freakin awesome. Honestly if I knew sudden death drops were in play at the time I really might have voted B. Extreme Mech mountaineering! Get that Atlas on a fixed line! Basically an Everest thread/btech crossover.

On the other hand I'm sure that city has to be absolutely lousy with traps. With the pilot PA(L) coming up again it makes me wonder if we might see some other Rim Worlder battle suits in action.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Dadlas walking around corners to HAG a light/medium mech every turn, forever, sounds cool.

1A and 2A

a gooddog in every basement

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My thinking is which map is easiest for a large team of human players to navigate, considering the high potential for missed orders, miscommunications or other errors. On that note it's probably the Jojoken Outskirts, since the city provides some cover from aero threats (which players found difficult to correctly target in the first Demon Hawk mission) and the environment doesn't pose as many obvious dangers as falling off cliffs or flooding the battlefield.

The long streets might favor clan long-range weapons but that's offset by this being a defensive mission where you can stay out of sight down sidestreets until they come to you, the city environment offers more tactical options if you get into trouble than a more open battlefield and if there's any tricks or traps it's more likely to be stuff the Republic set up to ambush the Clans.

As for the sidegrade, yes, I like the idea of changing it up a bit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd rate sideslips and basements as more of a potential hazard than the swamps, on thinking about it more. The Hawks don't have all that many jump capable mechs, and it's a lot easier for the couple that they do have to just not jump in to swamp hexes instead of rolling dice on running on pavement.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
1A and Yes for mech side grade.

Having a spec ops version of a mech only 8 people can pilot seems right up with what I know about Spec Op stuff, mostly from Freespace 2, the 'DIVE DIVE DIVE' mission where you're given the only 4 reverse engineered super fighters you have.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

easiest for a large team of human players to navigate [...] the Jojoken Outskirts

Ahahahahahahaha

There's a reason the city fight scenarios before only had 4-5 people in them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also, uh, yea, that. In retrospect I voted poorly.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

1C; variety is the spice of life, and we've had city fights before.

2A; getting to see new toys is always fun.

Voting this.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
1C, 2A

When someone asks if you want to fight Clanners on a battlefield that's hostile to Elementals and infantry, you take them up on it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Zikan posted:

1C) Morgaine River Delta: I want to see stray fire destroy the dam and flood the entire battlemap
Take the sidegrade

This person gets it.

1C) Morgaine River Delta
Sidegrade Yes

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
1C, 2A

Swamp maps were always some of my favorites.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
A vote for city maps is a vote to watch the players get split up by the Opfor using their initiative disadvantage to block off crucial streets.

I'm really not sanguine about trying to have a company-scale city fight, is what I'm saying.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1C, 2B on final consideration.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I'm really not sanguine about trying to have a company-scale city fight, is what I'm saying.

It wouldn't be a company-level fight, probably.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It wouldn't be a company-level fight, probably.

That could be interpreted as going either way :ohdear:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Let's just have Uncle Stevie target the city with one of the jump torpedoes instead. Every problem can be solved with WMDs if you try hard enough!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why would he blow up his own facility?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

And if he did need to pull a Blake's Wrath he could always come up with a cheaper way to do it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

And if he did need to pull a Blake's Wrath he could always come up with a cheaper way to do it.

Like paying a bunch of people to dig holes in the foundation until it collapsed.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going with 1B and 2A.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pussy Cartel posted:

I'm going with 1B and 2A.

Playing a map that extends from 0 elevation levels to 30+ elevation levels would be a real treat.

Clicking my mouse 30+ times in each hex wouldn't and who knows how I'd pull off an effective height map, but I'll live (and figure it out).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zikan posted:

1C) Morgaine River Delta: I want to see stray fire destroy the dam and flood the entire battlemap
Take the sidegrade

Same here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

changing vote from 1a to 1c.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Playing a map that extends from 0 elevation levels to 30+ elevation levels would be a real treat.

Clicking my mouse 30+ times in each hex wouldn't and who knows how I'd pull off an effective height map, but I'll live (and figure it out).

Build physical terrain to do it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
1A

Cities have office buildings. Office buildings have office chairs.

YES to the side grade.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
1C
2A

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
1C) Swamps are always the death knell of my Against the Bot runs. Playing in the mud should be a nice challenge for the Demon Hawks.

2A) I really want to see what Poptarts has in store for our light pilots this mission.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Also, uh, yea, that. In retrospect I voted poorly.

No John YOU are the cheeky jenner

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

No John YOU are the cheeky jenner

Panther! :pseudo:

I think.

LegendairyBovine posted:

2A) I really want to see what Poptarts has in store for our light pilots this mission.

I think you mean our medium pilots.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

For the same reason man endeavors to blow up climb Mt. Everest. Because it is there.

(It wasn't actually a serious suggestion.)

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

All of these options sound great, but I think the city is going to be traffic jam hell and the mountain's elevation/cover is going to lead to goons wasting turns shooting nothing due to not having LoS to their stated targets. That leaves 1C 2A. Also, gently caress infantry.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
1A and 2A

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So going off that fluff update, I take it the Dadlas' negative quirk is a Small Cockpit due to the extra armoring? That should be interesting with Duncan's garbage piloting skill.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cities are ideal playgrounds for Elementals. They hide in buildings and you don't know they're there until you stand next to a building and suddenly get swarmed. And in a city there's too many buildings they can be in to waste ammo trying to shoot every building up. And jumpers have a major advantage in city terrain, and Goonlance doesn't actually have that many jumpers. And lighter mechs can land on top of lighter buildings, but we're overwhelmingly voting to make the lighter mechs heavier?

Not Alex posted:

This person gets it.

1C) Morgaine River Delta
Sidegrade Yes

This is the way to go. The mountain thing sounds OK but too prone to random Demon Hawks falling off of ledges and dying. We want to lower the volatility of the outcomes by picking terrain where you roll to maybe die randomly less, not more. Also we've never seen this terrain type.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

What program do you use for map making? (I feel almost certain that we've had this conversation before in the thread, but, well, it might have been 3 years ago).

The one with Megamek is quite fast for just doing up the terrain, although I have no earthly idea how to make it actually look decent by using non default sprites.

Bloody Pom posted:

So going off that fluff update, I take it the Dadlas' negative quirk is a Small Cockpit due to the extra armoring? That should be interesting with Duncan's garbage piloting skill.

Sounds like the uncomfortable aspect is the extreme heat of a TSM mech that is always running at +9 overheat. Maybe after a certain number of turns at TSM active without the cooling suit Duncan would have started taking a pilot hit or a piloting penalty?

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

Maybe it's one of those quirks about a poorly shielded reactor? That'd be even worse, right?

[EDIT] Also we're the defender, so it's not like they can have pre-hidden Elementals. At least that will be in our favor.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Not Alex posted:

This person gets it.

1C) Morgaine River Delta
Sidegrade Yes

1C) Morgaine River Delta
Sidegrade Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Maybe it's one of those quirks about a poorly shielded reactor? That'd be even worse, right?

[EDIT] Also we're the defender, so it's not like they can have pre-hidden Elementals. At least that will be in our favor.

Or can they? :tinfoil:

e: cellars full of Elementals :gonk:

• Locked thread