Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

NGDBSS posted:

As a guess off the top of my head, since I've seen the LPs of Trails in the Sky, maybe that unnamed person would be Bleublanc? You mentioned that you knew who he was the first time around.

I had the same guess at this point in my first playthrough.

As to whether or not that guess is right...well, time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't think it's just old-European feudalism in Cold Steel. They presumably also mixed in a fair amount of Japanese influences in there. (heck, even modern Japan is still a fairly vertical society by western standards)

Also, if the co-commentators are gonna repeat the same gripe about "talking with their eyes closed" and "name-tag on the message window that's purely visible to the viewer shouldn't say 'female voice' because the characters already know to who the voice belongs to" every single episode, I'm gonna retaliate by griping every time they call Alisa Alicia. :rolleyes: (Alicia's the Queen of Liberl)

Also, regarding the bit at the end with the blue-haired guy in white, pay attention commentators:

quote:

Oh, I beg you, do not compare me to...that.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2016

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Maybe if her name was popping up we wouldn't have that problem.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Isn't her name visible every time she speaks a line?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm guessing that the teacher will probably be a "surprise" party member showing up to save our butts when we get in over our heads with something unexpected. Although not be much of a surprise since she was fighting in the in media res dungeon. She seems to have a pistol and sword, but was only using the sword in her attacks for some reason.

The next major boss battle is probably where we discover S-Crafts.

Istvun posted:

Maybe if her name was popping up we wouldn't have that problem.

I think the problem is you think that's worth complaining about at all.

:ssj: "THEY'RE TALKING WITH THEIR EYES CLOSED!!!!!"
and
:ssj: "WHY ISN'T THE NAMETAG SHOWING THE NAME?!! ARGLEBLARRG!!!!!"

is not the height of interesting commentary, especially when repeated for the 300th time. They cannot hear you. It will not loving change no matter how many times you complain about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm guessing that the teacher will probably be a "surprise" party member showing up to save our butts when we get in over our heads with something unexpected. Although not be much of a surprise since she was fighting in the in media res dungeon. She seems to have a pistol and sword, but was only using the sword in her attacks for some reason.

That will happen some time in this Chapter

quote:

I think the problem is you think that's worth complaining about at all.

:ssj: "THEY'RE TALKING WITH THEIR EYES CLOSED!!!!!"
and
:ssj: "WHY ISN'T THE NAMETAG SHOWING THE NAME?!! ARGLEBLARRG!!!!!"

is not the height of interesting commentary, especially when repeated for the 300th time. They cannot hear you. It will not loving change no matter how many times you complain about it.

To be slightly fairer to Istvun, he's not the one who keeps complaining about that. I've told Uncertain Globe that the complaint is tiresome, but I'll mention it again.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Erpy posted:

Isn't her name visible every time she speaks a line?

When we can't see her the name's not up and when we can we're all so busy staring at their eyes to see if they're closed. It's an intractable problem!!!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I could be mistaken, but I believe Sara slashes the opponent with her sword and then follows up with a quick point-blank shot for good measure. It's kinda quick but that's what it looked like. One of her crafts definitely involves shooting her gun.

About S-Crafts, the way it goes in Cold Steel is that S-Crafts are gradually made available, so it takes the game quite a while before everyone on your team actually has an S-craft. Two of your team members actually start the game with their S-craft already learned.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

I could be mistaken, but I believe Sara slashes the opponent with her sword and then follows up with a quick point-blank shot for good measure. It's kinda quick but that's what it looked like. One of her crafts definitely involves shooting her gun.

About S-Crafts, the way it goes in Cold Steel is that S-Crafts are gradually made available, so it takes the game quite a while before everyone on your team actually has an S-craft. Two of your team members actually start the game with their S-craft already learned.

Ah I might have just missed the shooting follow-up. I guess I would have expected the order to be shoot then slash.

Hmmm... Machias obviously has his S-Craft Break Shot learned since he used it in a cutscene, and Fie and Laura followed up with cool moves too. My instincts say that Laura would be most likely since she's a dedicated swordswoman, but Fie seems quite confident in her own way, so It's probably actually her.

I noticed in the video that you lost every game of Blade, but also that your common strategy was to try to only go +1 over the enemy number. I wonder how well it would work if you tried to go much higher above the enemy number to force them to play higher cards to catch up.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hmmm... Machias obviously has his S-Craft Break Shot learned since he used it in a cutscene

Break Shot is just his first regular craft; he had it during his appearance as a party member in the trapdoor part of the old schoolhouse dungeon with all the character introductions.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I actually kind of like it, the characters who start with the S-Craft are the ones who logically would have one based on their backstories, and from there, progression is based mostly on a combination of mindset and actual battle experience (With the ones who had extensive formal training tending to get theirs early, and the ones who didn't picking theirs up later).

Everyone has their S-Craft by the point of the story that gets back to the In-Media Res part though. For what it's worth. Two characters also get upgrades over the course of the story, though it's mostly cosmetic.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

I noticed in the video that you lost every game of Blade, but also that your common strategy was to try to only go +1 over the enemy number. I wonder how well it would work if you tried to go much higher above the enemy number to force them to play higher cards to catch up.

It might work, but all it really does is flip endgame and earlygame. Might be more effective to drop a +7 when you're at -1 compared to them to get that effect, but generally it's better to burn the low cards so you're not left with junk in your hand later on.

Notably, on the last game it would have been better to Mirror first turn to reverse it to 7-1 and also bait out any Bolts they have since they had a revival card. If they'd done that, it probably would have been a win on the last game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regarding S-Crafts: As Erpy said, a couple of members of Class VII already have them and the rest will learn them gradually, generally at a rate of 1-2 per Chapter. Unlocking S-Crafts is tied to personal revelations, so they'll learn them when we start learning their backstories.

Regarding Blade: Yes, I'm very bad at Blade because the rules are weird. Winning also doesn't actually matter, because you gain 50 Link EXP either way.

Regarding Sara: If you watched the in media res bit, she obviously joins the party. Just be patient, that's a long ways from right now.

Speaking of right now, we have an update! Does anyone remember Trails in the Sky? Because one of our Field Study quests will remind you of it.

Episode 14: Nothing Hits the Spot Like a Cold Beer!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
What, the school couldn't spring for 2 rooms? Ah ha ha, trolled by teacher! I like that Laura is cool, though. I'm getting a bit of a "protesting too much" vibe from Alisa, though.

So this field study is just "go do random quests for people"? "Get some bear claws for the church"? "Replace an orbment light"? This are literally among the first quests from Trails in the Sky FC. Erebonia already has a Bracer Guild. Surely there's a second part to this field study.

You have two days to finish those tasks. So is it possible to do them all on the first day and the second day is a "free" day? ... No that probably just advances the plot. In fact I bet that you can only do one of the tasks the first day anyway.

The second group presumably also has two days, but they'll be arriving in the evening, so it's really more like one day, which means they'll need to work faster and better than Rean's group. But that's also probably intentional since they have one more member, and trying to get the quarreling people to work better together is likely one of the secret objectives.

Oh no, not acerbic tomatoes! They're spreading and must be stopped. Those ingredients aren't even something we need to go searching the far corners of dungeons to find? We don't even have to pay for them apparently. So we're literally just picking up this guy's shopping for him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So this field study is just "go do random quests for people"? "Get some bear claws for the church"? "Replace an orbment light"? This are literally among the first quests from Trails in the Sky FC. Erebonia already has a Bracer Guild. Surely there's a second part to this field study.
Erebonia technically has a Bracer Guild, but we'll talk more about that later. Much later.

quote:

You have two days to finish those tasks. So is it possible to do them all on the first day and the second day is a "free" day? ... No that probably just advances the plot. In fact I bet that you can only do one of the tasks the first day anyway.
No, these are the tasks for the first day of the Field Study.

Think of these tasks as the Bracer Guild Bulletin Board. If we spend too much time doing the mandatory ones, we get locked out of the optional ones.

We'll have more on Day 2, don't worry about that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Supplementary update!

Episode 13: Card Games on Trains (no commentary)
Episode 14: Nothing Hits the Spot Like a Cold Beer! (no commentary)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Alectai posted:

I actually kind of like it, the characters who start with the S-Craft are the ones who logically would have one based on their backstories,

Oh okay then Sara is probably one just for being the more teacher with experience, if nothing else. And yes I don't expect her to permanently join the party at this point, but if there is a tougher-than-expected boss battle, I would not be surprised if she showed up and joined in just for that one.

Some Numbers posted:

Erebonia technically has a Bracer Guild, but we'll talk more about that later. Much later.

No, these are the tasks for the first day of the Field Study.

Ah, I thought there was likely a second part because the quests are just so insubstantial.

---

:stare: ...Wait, "Purple Lightning"? Did he mean Sara? But no, she couldn't possibly (Trails in the Sky SC)be an Enforcer or ex-Enforcer.

But come to think of it, (Trails in the Sky SC)there was that non-living thing used as a test dummy in the practical exam. Sounds very similar to an Archaism, and the society uses those. The students all thought it was strange. Hmmm.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
That plushy of a girl the doll seller has is a character from Nayuta no Kiseki.

Edit: also, you should always be talking to Becky. She is cool. (As is her dad).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 9, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:stare: ...Wait, "Purple Lightning"? Did he mean Sara? But no, she couldn't possibly (Trails in the Sky SC)be an Enforcer or ex-Enforcer.

But come to think of it, (Trails in the Sky SC)there was that non-living thing used as a test dummy in the practical exam. Sounds very similar to an Archaism, and the society uses those. The students all thought it was strange. Hmmm.
Interesting theory.

OddObserver posted:

also, you should always be talking to Becky. She is cool. (As is her dad).
Yeah, I should. I totally forgot earlier, but I absolutely will when we get back to school.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Oh okay then Sara is probably one just for being the more teacher with experience, if nothing else. And yes I don't expect her to permanently join the party at this point, but if there is a tougher-than-expected boss battle, I would not be surprised if she showed up and joined in just for that one.

Yeah, the people who have S-Crafts right when you get them tend to be the ones with actual combat experience (Or barring that, extreme training and dedication), followed then with a list of people using criteria ranging from "Lack of formal training" to "Talented and trained, but have issues hip deep that prevents them from becoming a true Anime Superhero"

I definitely like what they did with it though, even if you don't have the entire S-Craft list until something like Chapter 6.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 9, 2016

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
They never did talk to Sara about the room issue.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Nuramor posted:

They never did talk to Sara about the room issue.

In all honesty, I don't think any of them really give a poo poo. Just Alisa, and even then she more or less trusts Rean; she just has various issues with coming across as "weak".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
And even if they did bring it up, they'd probably get more-or-less something along the lines of what Laura said about that being reality for soldiers. Except it's Sara they're talking to, so she'd add in some more mockery, laughter and heart emoticons.

Of course, the situation is made a bit less complicated since this is a videogame and no one apparently changes clothes ever.

Some Numbers posted:

Remember that you said this.

Ah ha ha. :allears:

Well, okay even I knew it was a bit silly to say that because that actually does happen a couple times in Trails in the Sky.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 10, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

no one apparently changes clothes ever.

Remember that you said this.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
I love that the bar uses wooden mugs and how quickly Sara sobers up when necessary.

Also it was around this point that I remembered I was playing a Trails game and they still loved hidden side quests and side quests that span the length of the game, luckily I hadn't missed anything vital.

If we get a quest sending us on a tour around town solving riddles then we'll know Bleublanc is around.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

And even if they did bring it up, they'd probably get more-or-less something along the lines of what Laura said about that being reality for soldiers. Except it's Sara they're talking to, so she'd add in some more mockery, laughter and heart emoticons.

Of course, the situation is made a bit less complicated since this is a videogame and no one apparently changes clothes ever.

Don't they just use The System?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Someone was asking about S-Crafts, right?

Episode 15: GODDAMMIT ELLIOT
No commentary

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
At first I thought Elliot was saying "I'll pick you up!", but I think it's actually "I'll back you up!"

Have you unlocked more orbment slots on your other characters? And does that increase your EP like in TitS?

Speaking about linked attacks, is there any disadvantage in pairing a high physical damage and low physical damage together, as opposed to pairing the two high-damage and two low-damage characters? I'm not sure because even Rean and Laura linked were not enough to finish many enemies, and they're your high-damage dealers. (Laura actually had 40 more points in Strength before Rean levelled up.)

Istvun posted:

Don't they just use The System?

I do not know what that means.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 11, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

At first I thought Elliot was saying "I'll pick you up!", but I think it's actually "I'll back you up!"
It could be! I was pretty sure it was "I'll take you on," but I'm getting less and less sure as more people disagree with me.

quote:

Have you unlocked more orbment slots on your other characters? And does that increase your EP like in TitS?
Yeah, I did that off screen before the Field Study. It does increase your EP and the farther along a single line, the more EP you gain.

quote:

Speaking about linked attacks, is there any disadvantage in pairing a high physical damage and low physical damage together, as opposed to pairing the two high-damage and two low-damage characters? I'm not sure because even Rean and Laura linked were not enough to finish many enemies, and they're your high-damage dealers. (Laura actually had 40 more points in Strength before Rean levelled up.)
Honestly, I don't really know. Who's linked with whom is going to matter more once my Links start leveling up.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The problem with TitS's balancing is that arts were good and physical attacks weren't.

The problem with Cold Steel's balancing is that physical attacks are good and arts aren't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's definitely more complicated than that, but to put it simply, yes.

Crafts are now good and you actually have the CP to use them.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Speaking about linked attacks, is there any disadvantage in pairing a high physical damage and low physical damage together, as opposed to pairing the two high-damage and two low-damage characters? I'm not sure because even Rean and Laura linked were not enough to finish many enemies, and they're your high-damage dealers. (Laura actually had 40 more points in Strength before Rean levelled up.

Right now, he only has follow up attacks available. So really, the only problem with that would be that the follow up attack does low damage if the link is with a low damage character.

It can be handy linking with Elliott to hit a high defense enemy, for example, as his follow up attack will do magic damage.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The disadvantage would naturally be that you do less overall damage per link-attack. That said, the optimal way to use links (for link attack purposes) is to link your strongest physical attackers to characters who have the largest chance of unbalancing a certain foe. So if you face beasts, who are generally weak to slashes, you want to link Laura with Rean so she'll follow-up whenever Rean staggers an enemy. (he has S in slashes) If you face flying foes, you want to on-the-fly link Laura to Alisa instead, who has S in the shoot-type. (Laura has good-but-not-perfect values in slash and crush, so she has a reasonable odds of staggering enemies of two types, but her odds are below Rean and Alisa on their specilized area)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

The disadvantage would naturally be that you do less overall damage per link-attack. That said, the optimal way to use links (for link attack purposes) is to link your strongest physical attackers to characters who have the largest chance of unbalancing a certain foe. So if you face beasts, who are generally weak to slashes, you want to link Laura with Rean so she'll follow-up whenever Rean staggers an enemy. (he has S in slashes) If you face flying foes, you want to on-the-fly link Laura to Alisa instead, who has S in the shoot-type. (Laura has good-but-not-perfect values in slash and crush, so she has a reasonable odds of staggering enemies of two types, but her odds are below Rean and Alisa on their specilized area)

This is definitely a thing I could be doing, but that's a lot of on-the-fly work.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

I do not know what that means.

Oh, it's really simple. One person says "Don't look, I'm changing" and the other person doesn't look. Because they're changing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm so used to TitS's CP being harder to obtain that I keep thinking "you're gonna run out if you keep using them like that". But that's just the wrong mindset for this game.

Rean's Autumn Leaf Cutter would be a top-tier craft in TitS. A point-targeting AoE which impedes and delays enemies turns? You could get one of those effects, but not both on a single craft. And he's got something better, too? Yikes.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I did that off screen before the Field Study. It does increase your EP and the farther along a single line, the more EP you gain.

I was wondering because I have a suspicion that Alisa knows more about orbments than most other people in the class, but Rean has substantially more EP, and I was wondering if that was just because he had more slots opened. But then again, "knows more" and "proficient at using" are not the same thing.

Is it maybe too early for character breakdown posts showing their orbment lines and what roles they are best at? (Even though it seems obvious that Rean is a jack-of-all-trades, Laura is the strongest with physicals and weakest with magic and Elliot is the opposite).

I also don't know what the unique central quartz each character does. It can apparently also level up as well. Or maybe that's something to be saved for discussion in videos.

Istvun posted:

Oh, it's really simple. One person says "Don't look, I'm changing" and the other person doesn't look. Because they're changing.

Ah right. Well, I'm sure that these students are mature enough that the System will work well for no fewer than 75% of them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm so used to TitS's CP being harder to obtain that I keep thinking "you're gonna run out if you keep using them like that". But that's just the wrong mindset for this game.
ALL CRAFTS ALL THE TIME

quote:

Rean's Autumn Leaf Cutter would be a top-tier craft in TitS. A point-targeting AoE which impedes and delays enemies turns? You could get one of those effects, but not both on a single craft. And he's got something better, too? Yikes.
Right? Rean's Craft list is INSANE.

quote:

Is it maybe too early for character breakdown posts showing their orbment lines and what roles they are best at? (Even though it seems obvious that Rean is a jack-of-all-trades, Laura is the strongest with physicals and weakest with magic and Elliot is the opposite).
I'm planning this for a bit after we finish Chapter 1.

quote:

I also don't know what the unique central quartz each character does. It can apparently also level up as well. Or maybe that's something to be saved for discussion in videos.
I forgot that I haven't gone over this. I'll either do an Orbment breakdown bonus video or work it into an actual episode.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Notes now that I've actually watched the episode:

Getting surprise attacked does break your links, because it messes up your team order when you have more than 4 people in the party. Specifically, I think it reverses it for everyone not-Rean. (Don't pretend to look surprised, you knew this was going to happen at some point.)

Laura's field attack is definitely the best, between how fast and stunnable it is, not to mention its range. Between those things, anything you don't immediately stun due to the hitboxes lets you circle around to their back pretty easily. And I'm pretty sure it's the size of the hitboxes that gets Laura to do those surprise stuns.

Last, Elliott's definitely saying "I'll back you up", given his nature as the support character.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cyouni posted:

Last, Elliott's definitely saying "I'll back you up", given his nature as the support character.

See, I'm not so sure, because Alisa says "I've got you" and Laura says "an opening," which are more things they'd say to the enemy than to their linked partner.

By that logic, Elliot saying "I'll back you up" breaks the theme more than "I'll take you on."

But I don't have a text dump, so I can't be 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I noticed that Alicia's healing arrow heals 40 CP to non-Alicia members, but only if they have under 100 CP. From her craft and the fire aligned spell she has, I'm thinking that she is the fire-aligned character, to fit her fiery personality. Gaius seems to be wind-aligned because of his craft.

Some Numbers posted:

See, I'm not so sure, because Alisa says "I've got you" and Laura says "an opening," which are more things they'd say to the enemy than to their linked partner.

By that logic, Elliot saying "I'll back you up" breaks the theme more than "I'll take you on."

But I don't have a text dump, so I can't be 100% sure.

"I've got you (covered)" and "(I see) an opening (to attack)" would kinda fit with things you'd say to your link partner though. Remember that these lines have to be kept very short to fit into about a second. I definitely think "I'll back you up" is what is said, but in a very rushed manner.

• Locked thread