Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Elfgames posted:

Don't run dungeon world unless you're actually experienced with dungeon world.

I ran Dungeon World without being experienced with Dungeon World and I had a goddamn blast. Gonna start a full-on campaign soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I might have gotten into a 4E game and it looks like they need a defender. I'm playing a Pixie because it's so goddamn cool that they're playable and not awful due to idiot ideas or poo poo like LA. I'm currently debating between Swordmage and Fighter and I was wondering how badly are my fighter options impaired by playing what's technically a 'Small' character for weapon types? Are there any weapon types I should avoid? I was leaning towards Axes, Polearms or Spears.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

You know you want to be a Pixie Brawler. They get to grapple people in their own square!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Go brawler fighter, MC monk for 1d8 fists. Punch the poo poo out of people with widdle tiny fists OF FURY.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A pixie brawler fighter is never a wrong choice.

("Oi! 'Ow's aboot a face full o' heid?!")

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You have basically no good spear, axe, or polearm options as a "Small" race. Pixies would favor Swordmage with that +2 Int option, or Paladin with the +2 Cha, and they could use rapiers, but this:

Dick Burglar posted:

Go brawler fighter, MC monk for 1d8 fists. Punch the poo poo out of people with widdle tiny fists OF FURY.

is the real answer.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 6, 2016

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Pixie Paladin is fun. Multiclass with Swordmage and you can use your rapier as both weapon and implement.

But brawling pixie sounds boss.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I honestly didn't know Fighter's had Brawler options, I guess that's going to be what I go with. I've never really understood the 4E multiclass rules though. Is it just a feat I take and I get the class features or is there some weird Power selection thing I have to jump through now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Multiclassing requires you to take one feat. This gives you a skill and some other minor benefit related to the class you chose. You also qualify for that class's feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies, as long as they don't have any other prerequisites that you can't meet (like the monk's Monastic Tradition or other secondary class features).

You can take extra feats to swap out an encounter, utility, and/or daily power for one from your multiclass, but it's usually not worth it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You take a feat, you get a benefit, and then you can take the other classes Feats and Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies. If you want their powers, there are feats that let you swap your original class powers for powers from your multiclass.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I honestly didn't know Fighter's had Brawler options, I guess that's going to be what I go with. I've never really understood the 4E multiclass rules though. Is it just a feat I take and I get the class features or is there some weird Power selection thing I have to jump through now?

Often times the biggest source of confusion about 4e's multiclassing is that there's an expectation that there must be something else that goes along with it but generally, nope, it's a cheap way to get access to a skill+something else. You can do some fun char-op types things with multiclassing by tagging into another class's feats and PPs but it's not even necessary. Multiclass feats are generally 'better' than other skill feats in that they give you more bang for your bucks, balanced around the idea that you can only ever take one.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Unless you're a bard, in which case you can also be 20 other things

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Most MC feats have some ability score requirements as well though, so you definitely need to build with them in mind.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah I play a Brawler (custom race in a homebrew campaign, so largely irrelevant details) and I took the Monk multiclass feat that gives unarmed attacks as d8 weapons, ki focus proficiency, and training in Acrobatics. It sets up so my unarmed attacks keep up with the item treadmill thanks to the ki focus, and I have taken precisely one other Monk feat in twelve levels.

It's an easy prereq to hit, Str OR Dex 13. If you don't have the first one as a fighter, you've hosed up anyhow.

(Improved Monk Unarmed Strike, for the curious - mix with Shock Trooper PP for d12 punches. Fists like fullblades!)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It sets up so my unarmed attacks keep up with the item treadmill thanks to the ki focus, and I have taken precisely one other Monk feat in twelve levels.

With the enhancement bonus from Brawler Style and the proficiency bonus from Master of the Fist, punchman fighters are actually a little ahead of the curve there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Really Pants posted:

With the enhancement bonus from Brawler Style and the proficiency bonus from Master of the Fist, punchman fighters are actually a little ahead of the curve there.

drat skippy. I hit on threes on the regular (with leader help).

And I do pretty drat good damage. Which is good, because the party has two leaders and no striker, so we all sort of pick up the damage slack.

Bottom line, so this isn't just a "Let me tell you about my character" post:

Anyone who is going fighter who hasn't already had a Brawler in a game, it's hilarious and incredibly fun. Pixie Brawler doubly so.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I definitely made a Brawler/Monk that was literally just loving Zangief. He grappled people and punished the poo poo out of them and it's the greatest

his deity was communism

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I made a brawler/monk once that was a cross between Gaston and Kevin Sorbo as Hercules.

If you're not skinning that double strike power as knocking two guys' heads together I don't know what you think you're doing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Brawler bonus doesn't stack with ki focus, I should note.

Last time I did that I actually went tempest fighter and offhanded a shortsword (since I'm pretty sure you technically can't dual wield Monk Unarmed Strike - but hey, if you do, more power to you!). I didn't really focus much at all on grappling, but it did let me cherry pick the best powers between the two, and I like the tempest bonuses (+1 shield AC and Reflex, +1 attack, +2 damage in light armor) over Brawler's (+1 AC, +2 fortitude, +2 enhancement attack).

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Brawler fighter's real strength is the fact that they can use Grappling Strike as their Opportunity attack and access to the Brawler feats like Pin Down, Brawler's Defense, and the one where the enemy always rolls against your Fortitude to escape (your Fort as a Brawler should be near or greater than your already ridiculous AC).

Not a huge fan of Tempest Fighter, though. Chain mail or hide doesn't seem like enough AC for my defender, and wielding a Bastard Sword off handed is a weapon proficiency and a multiclass feat away. The straight to hit bonus from Weapon Talent is usually my go to, unless I feel like getting weird with it and going Arena Fighter.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You can dual wield unarmed fists, or gauntlets / tanga(?).

My Brawler Fighter was a thinly veiled Mr. T copy called Krusk 'K.O.' Ordak. He pitied no fools.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Tempest is sorta "half striker," is it's sorta catch. Of course you can always dual wield in heavy armor with weapon talent instead, but then you miss out on not just the damage buff, but also the benefits to having high dex in a lot of two weapon powers. Mixing it with shock trooper gives you some pretty drat strong encounter multihits.

Also it's just kinda rad??? You're still a solid defender; I'm sure you could argue that shield and/or flail or polearm fighters are better at pure defenderness but you are good enough.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Brawler fighter's real strength is the fact that they can use Grappling Strike as their Opportunity attack and access to the Brawler feats like Pin Down, Brawler's Defense, and the one where the enemy always rolls against your Fortitude to escape (your Fort as a Brawler should be near or greater than your already ridiculous AC).

Not a huge fan of Tempest Fighter, though. Chain mail or hide doesn't seem like enough AC for my defender, and wielding a Bastard Sword off handed is a weapon proficiency and a multiclass feat away. The straight to hit bonus from Weapon Talent is usually my go to, unless I feel like getting weird with it and going Arena Fighter.

I made it work by MCing Ranger and grabbing Blade Dancer. The Blade Dancer's Regalia set, along with the PP's bonus defenses for comboing (which includes Harmony Blade's debuff) and the defense bonuses from going STR/DEX, make for very solid all-around defenses (albeit your Will will be a bit lower than someone who went whole hog into Wis, but there's Utility powers for when poo poo happens.) Alternatively, Thri-Kreen, Shock Trooper, dual Drow Long Knives, get Throw and Stab and Dual Strike. You're a multi-marking menace.

EDIT: Also, Longsword + Longsword or Shortsword/Drow Long Knife/Whatever is perfectly fine. I don't see why it's so imperative to specifically get a Bastard Sword.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 7, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
To be frank, thanks to elven chain shirt, you can literally have better armor with hide then you can with scale. Tempest Fighters get a shield bonus right from the start as they get two weapon defense as a bonus on top of that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I usually just do a 16/16 str/dex split on Tempest fighters, and eventually pick up an elven chain shirt, I don't really feel I have any significant problems with AC. Maybe offhand a Rhythm Blade if I don't have a pressing need for a different enchant.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The Bastard Sword prof is just so you can get the average damage up to Tempest level (most offhand weapons are d6), though admittedly less of an issue if you plan on going Shock Trooper. I'm just partial to heavy blades over light blades due to Heavy Blade Opportunity in Paragon and the insane Style feats you can use on your At Wills (hello, Deft Hurler Style). Light blade precision is really nice too, though, and light blades have amazing damage feats to make up for their relatively small damage dice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eh. The die is one of the least important parts of your damage and Light Blade Expertise practically offsets an entire die size on its own.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Why on earth would you dual wield heavy blades and lose not just Shock Trooper (which is the Tempest PrC) but the astonishingly awesome Rain of Blows? Heavy blades are absolutely for pairing with shields or for greatswordin', in my opinion - and very much for wisdom builds, not dexterity builds.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Why on earth would you dual wield heavy blades and lose not just Shock Trooper (which is the Tempest PrC) but the astonishingly awesome Rain of Blows? Heavy blades are absolutely for pairing with shields or for greatswordin', in my opinion - and very much for wisdom builds, not dexterity builds.

Throwing shenanigans. Alternatively, because Blade Dancer is another fun Tempest option.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lots of people heavily overvalue their weapon die because they look at powers with damage lines like 3[W]+Str without thinking about how much of their damage comes from static bonuses.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A pixie Zangief sounds pretty entertaining.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Made two temporary NPCs for my party. How do these guys look to you?

pre:
Barnas, Dwarven Warrior Spirit
==============================

HP: 56
Surges: 1

AC: 22
Fort: 21
Ref: 19
Will: 20

Barnas deals 3/6 extra damage when he has combat advantage.

(M) At Will: Distracting Blow
+16 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 5 damage. One ally adjacent to Barnas or the target gains a +3 power bonus to the next attack and damage roll against the target until the end of that ally's next turn.

(M) Encounter: Courageous Sacrifice
+16 vs. AC
Hit: 18/25 damage, and the target must make a basic attack against Barnas (free action). If that attack misses, an ally can make a basic attack against the target (free action).

(CB10) Encounter: Moradin's Blessing
Interrupt
Trigger: Ally makes a basic attack, bull rush or charge within 10 squares.
Effect: Triggering attack roll gains a +3 power bonus.

Redcap, Myconid Colony Ambassador
=================================

HP: 56
Surges: 1

AC: 22
Fort: 22
Ref: 19
Will: 19

Redcap deals 3/6 extra damage when he has combat advantage.

(M) At Will: Bolstering Strike
+16 vs. AC
Hit: 13/17 damage, and Redcap gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of his next turn.

(M) Encounter: Spontaneous Sporocarp
+16 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 13/17 damage. Make a secondary attack.
 Secondary target: Each enemy adjacent to primary target.
 Secondary Attack: +16 vs. Reflex
 Hit: 5 poison damage.

Daily: Shared Blessings
Interrupt
Trigger: Ally targets Redcap with a power that doesn't include that ally as a target.
Effect: Ally also becomes a target of the power.
- They're built as strikers, but the powers are taken from Warlord and Warden (and renamed), respectively. We have enough defenders, leaders and controllers already, but on the other hand, striker powers lacked a certain something.
- Damage notation is regular damage/crit damage because I don't want to waste time rolling and adding up.
- The idea is that there's a big boss fight coming up and some encounters on the road there. The party has to decide whether to take them into all battles, risking their premature demise, or keep them fresh for the big one, risking depletion of their own resources.
- Shared Blessings is particularly good because the paladin likes to use Inspiring Fortitude.

==========
vvvvv Original post: how do I build a psionic NPC, would one at-will, one utility and two power points do the trick?
But I've thought about it some more and came up with these two guys instead. :)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 7, 2016

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That seems to scale IIRC, 2 pp brought your at-wills to enc level.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Khizan posted:

Lots of people heavily overvalue their weapon die because they look at powers with damage lines like 3[W]+Str without thinking about how much of their damage comes from static bonuses.

Not going to argue there. Especially once you start multi-attacking. There isn't much difference between a d8 and a d10 after all. Like I said, heavy blades are more for pairing off at will shenanigans with you OA's, so Half Elves twin striking, everyone else Cleaving with Deft Hurler or something along those lines. Not even really a thing until Paragon, though. Otherwise the pure static damage a light blade wielder can throw out is insane.

Plus my favorite weapon in the game is the Spiked Chain, which is just a multiclass feat away. Too bad only half of it is considered offhand, though.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Rules question: Does a Carnage 2dX weapon get the bonus on rolls of X or only 2X?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

slydingdoor posted:

Rules question: Does a Carnage 2dX weapon get the bonus on rolls of X or only 2X?

You get it if any single die lands on its max value. So with say, a Carnage Falchion, rolling one 4 on its 2d4 procs the effect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's my reading too. Note what this means for 2[W], 3[W] etc. powers. One rolled 4 in 6d4 is enough.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Does the Carnage effect go off on a crit?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No. It's "when you roll the maximum result..." and you don't make a damage roll on a crit. The crit extra damage doesn't count as a weapon damage die either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The final adventure of Zeitgeist has just dropped. So say what you will about ENworld - I have, and probably will in the future - they've produced a complete, awesome adventure path for 4e, finishing it up even after the end of the edition. That's a goddamn class act, right there. It's also the only series of adventures I've seen which really shows off 4e's best sides.

So yeah. In case you were on the fence about buying it, it's complete and well worth the money. For a tabletop group, I'd say it's 2-3 years' worth of excellent gaming.

I'm midway through Adventure 9 right now, and I want to get to the end but also don't want it to end because I'm not 100% sure where I'll find adventures of similar quality.