Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Is any of that trailer based on reality? I mean no doubt the dude faced some scrutiny and a lot of stress after the incident but, really.

Well, they did find that it might have been physically possible for an A320 to make "the impossible turn" but it could only be done in the simulator by a pilot that knew ahead of time when the engine would fail.

Also airbus test pilots are show offs.

NTSB posted:

The pilots were fully briefed on the maneuver before they attempted to perform it in the
simulator. The following three flight scenarios were flown: (1) normal landings on runway 4 at
LGA, starting from an altitude of 1,000 or 1,500 feet on approach; (2) attempted landings at
LGA or TEB after the bird strike, starting both from zero groundspeed on takeoff from runway 4
at LGA and from a preprogrammed point shortly before the bird strike and loss of engine thrust;
and (3) ditching on the Hudson River starting from 1,500 feet above the river at an airspeed of
200 kts.

During the first flight scenario, all of the pilots were able to achieve a successful landing
in both simulators. The flightpath angles at touchdown for these landings ranged from -0.8° to
-1.3°. Regarding the second flight scenario, 20 runs were performed in the engineering simulator
from a preprogrammed point shortly before the loss of engine thrust in which pilots attempted to
return to either runway 13 or 22 at LGA or runway 19 at TEB. Five of the 20 runs were
discarded because of poor data or simulator malfunctions. Of the 15 remaining runs, in 6, the
pilot attempted to land on runway 22 at LGA; in 7, the pilot attempted to land on runway 13 at
LGA; and in 2, the pilot attempted to land on runway 19 at TEB. In eight of the 15 runs (53
percent), the pilot successfully landed after making an immediate turn to an airport after the loss
of engine thrust. Specifically, two of the six runs to land on runway 22 at LGA, five of the seven
runs to land on runway 13 at LGA, and one of the two runs to land on runway 19 at TEB
immediately after the loss of engine thrust were successful.88 One run was made to return to an
airport (runway 13 at LGA) after a 35-second delay,89 and the landing was not successful.

Regarding the third flight scenario, a total of 14 runs were performed in the engineering
simulator in which pilots attempted to touch down on the water within a target flightpath angle of
-0.5°, consistent with the structural ditching certification criteria. Two of the 14 runs were
discarded because of poor data. Of the remaining 12 runs, 4 were attempted using CONF 2,
4 were attempted using CONF 3, and 4 were attempted using CONF 3/Slats only.

In 11 of the 12 runs, the touchdown flightpath angle ranged between -1.5° and -3.6° (the
touchdown flightpath angle achieved on the accident flight was -3.4°). In 1 of these 12 runs, a
-0.2° touchdown flightpath angle was achieved by an Airbus test pilot who used a technique that
involved approaching the water at a high speed, leveling the airplane a few feet above the water
with the help of the radar altimeter, and then bleeding off airspeed in ground effect until the
airplane settled into the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone soloed further than that their first time :v:

Heh.

I have a recording of my solo.

Holy poo poo did I speak loving fast on the radio. I was always very good on radios, never a worry. But good grief I was all 'downtowngroundskyhawk1234Katthewestrampwithinfomationechofordepaturestudentsolothreetimesaroundthepattern' all in one gasp of air.

The response I got was extremely slooooooow and I swear he was laughing. 'Skyhawk 1234K...clear to tax to ..runway 14..taxi hotel to alpha 2..Take it easy and have a great flight'. I kinda knew the guy as I hung around the airport and tower quite a bit just taking it all in from their point of view. Probably contributed to me being extra cool on the radios 99 percent of the time. But when I cock it up, I can cock it up.

After I announced I was clear the runway, someone keyed their mic and said "Nice job 1234K"

One of the best feelings in the world.

And holy moly did that 172 climb without an extra 200 lbs in it. Pretty sure the stall horn honked at me on rotation.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, they did find that it might have been physically possible for an A320 to make "the impossible turn" but it could only be done in the simulator by a pilot that knew ahead of time when the engine would fail.

I was wondering if the pilots in the sim knew in advance what they were testing rather than doing a blind test to some random guys that happened to be using a sim that day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

quote:

In 1 of these 12 runs, a
-0.2° touchdown flightpath angle was achieved by an Airbus test pilot who used a technique that
involved approaching the water at a high speed, leveling the airplane a few feet above the water
with the help of the radar altimeter, and then bleeding off airspeed in ground effect until the
airplane settled into the water.
That sounds cool but I would be worried about hitting boat traffic. I haven't been to NYC in more than 20 years though but I presume that's a possibility.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tide posted:

Heh.

I have a recording of my solo.

Holy poo poo did I speak loving fast on the radio. I was always very good on radios, never a worry. But good grief I was all 'downtowngroundskyhawk1234Katthewestrampwithinfomationechofordepaturestudentsolothreetimesaroundthepattern' all in one gasp of air.

The response I got was extremely slooooooow and I swear he was laughing. 'Skyhawk 1234K...clear to tax to ..runway 14..taxi hotel to alpha 2..Take it easy and have a great flight'. I kinda knew the guy as I hung around the airport and tower quite a bit just taking it all in from their point of view. Probably contributed to me being extra cool on the radios 99 percent of the time. But when I cock it up, I can cock it up.

After I announced I was clear the runway, someone keyed their mic and said "Nice job 1234K"

One of the best feelings in the world.

And holy moly did that 172 climb without an extra 200 lbs in it. Pretty sure the stall horn honked at me on rotation.

I'll never forget the feeling when it set in that I was alone in an airborne airplane for the first time. I was a couple hundred feet off the runway and turned to my right to find an unusually empty space where my 205lb CFI once sat. "Ok, guess it's all me now, isn't it?".

I had to tell the tower I was a student on my first solo. "Dayton Tower, Cessna 7339W, short of 18 on Zulu, ready to go...and I'm doing my first solo with instructor on frequency". Apparently, the tower and school had come to an agreement that if things got really desperate, the instructor could jump on frequency on the radio in the office. I had no problems, with the added plot twist of having to change to 24R for laps 2 and 3, and got a "Congratulations" after clearing for the last time. :3:

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Desi posted:

So, that said, question for you Canadians in the airline world in this thread. Rumors are aplenty in the flight schools but I have limited access to people with first hand infromation. What's the hiring scoop for the duration of 2016? Something like Jazz or Porter attainable? SkyRegional or Georgian? I really would like to avoid going up to the hinterland - I'm more a city guy, I wouldn't really cut it in the bush, haha.

I'd fly for an American regional in a heartbeat, but they still haven't figured out a way to get Canadians work visas. Which sucks, getting a standalone FAA certificate right now is a joke but Pilot doesn't fall into that list of NAFTA professions that would let me work effectively sponsorship free...

Georgian, Sky Regional and Porter all open up around the 1500 hour mark. As much as I loved working at Porter, the AC hiring department seems to be going with a flowthrough of Jazz/GGN/SKV for the majority of hires for the next while until the hiring process changes again.

AC had 339 pilot vacancies on our recent bid, of which 250 are pretty much guarantee hires in the next year. Fleet growth and incoming mandatory retirements here are going to drive a lot of the flow up in the industry over the next few years until the Canadian economy hits a wall.

In your shoes I would be trying to get in with any of the 3 AC feeders equally if your goal is AC. Porter is a great place to work, and lots of people there have been transitioning to WJE and WJ, some to AC too but not nearly as many in the past.

Not sure if you have a degree of any sort but that is also helpful in getting hired at some of the companies.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions and I can see if I can help out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

hobbesmaster posted:

What was the point of scenario 1? Just to demonstrate that they could actually fly the airplane with engines out? It seems like a dumb scenario to set them up on final approach when the accident was a bird-strike on departure.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If the scenario was flown with the engines out, it was probably because airlines don't usually include landings with no engines as part of their training, so landing an A320 glider isn't something most airline pilots really train for.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Just passed my 10th hour for my PPL and did some pretty good pattern work today. Landed 3 times without my instructor on the controls.

I feel comfortable in 90% of the pattern now, but when I cross the numbers and put power to neutral I still feel like "oh poo poo" and not quite sure what to do.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dexter6 posted:

Just passed my 10th hour for my PPL and did some pretty good pattern work today. Landed 3 times without my instructor on the controls.

I feel comfortable in 90% of the pattern now, but when I cross the numbers and put power to neutral I still feel like "oh poo poo" and not quite sure what to do.

Congratulations! Your last remark is perfectly reasonable. In fact, I always felt like landings "happened."

It's easy for new students to feel like the landing is happening TO them instead of the student being firmly in control.

I like to practice this by doing landing practice runs where I don't let myself get lower than 20 feet from the runway. Once I can control that then I only go down to 10 feet. Then 5.

This does a lot of things:
1) you get proficient at looking down the runway
2) you get proficient at using the feet to keep you center lines for a long period of time. The centerline gives you immediate feedback as you go over it.
3) you get used to that "seat of your pants" of ground effect
4) you develop the ability to recognize when you're sinking too fast and can add in the power

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I'd kinda teach my students to have a running commentary going in their heads.. I'm pitching for my aim point. I'm using power for my airspeed. Ailerons for wind drift. Rudder to straighten the nose on the centerline. It was a 4 point mantra I wanted them to keep repeating. Worked pretty effectively. Coming over the thresh hold of the runway, it's good to remind yourself to look at the end of the runway.
One other thing that's useful: pay close attention to the "sight picture" aka the way that things look out the front windscreen just as you rotate and achieve liftoff. This is approximately what you want to see on landing - the proper nose high attitude just off the runway.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good points.

When I have students switch airplanes a lot I will have them sit on the runway right before applying full power for about 5 seconds and make them memorize the "new picture."

I have students put the seat in exactly the same place, every time. For instance, maybe there are only "4" holes in the track at their "position."

I had a lot of transitions from cessnas to mooneys to bonanzas and 5 seconds looking at a centerline helps cement a new sight picture.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Slaughter, what were you flying in your survey gig? I've recently started flying a 207 in addition to instructing. What a cool airplane (relative to a 172)

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Desi posted:

So, a lot has changed since I last posted (OP needs updating, badly).

Desi = YOW - ASEL Comm - Class 4 Flight Instructor
Desi = YOW AMEL FI (Class 2), FII, MEI (I guess, 'murican terms but whatever)

Updated

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

SCOTLAND posted:

Georgian, Sky Regional and Porter all open up around the 1500 hour mark. As much as I loved working at Porter, the AC hiring department seems to be going with a flowthrough of Jazz/GGN/SKV for the majority of hires for the next while until the hiring process changes again.

AC had 339 pilot vacancies on our recent bid, of which 250 are pretty much guarantee hires in the next year. Fleet growth and incoming mandatory retirements here are going to drive a lot of the flow up in the industry over the next few years until the Canadian economy hits a wall.

In your shoes I would be trying to get in with any of the 3 AC feeders equally if your goal is AC. Porter is a great place to work, and lots of people there have been transitioning to WJE and WJ, some to AC too but not nearly as many in the past.

Not sure if you have a degree of any sort but that is also helpful in getting hired at some of the companies.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions and I can see if I can help out.

Thanks for the intel! Yeah AC mainline is the endgame for me, so I have been eyeing Jazz/SKV/GGN (in that order). I think I'll start firing resumes off in a month or so when I round out about 1200TT/200MPIC and see if I get any bites, and take it a bit more seriously around 1500.

I'd never say no to Porter/WJE/etc but they are definitely my 'safety schools'. I do have a degree in the most useful field ever: Political Science! I'm also banking on my pre-aviation career helping present me as a more rounded candidate; while it was boring as hell it is still an eyebrow raiser at interviews as it was in high-level government.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I'll certainly take you up on PM if any do arise. Oh, there is one: Hook a brother up at AC? (Had to try... ;) )

Thanks!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm on a business trip one province over and everything went to poo poo because of a miscommunication regarding equipment shipping. I ended up with a beautiful evening off in Saskatoon with not much to do.

So of course I called up a flight school to see if they happened to have an aircraft and instructor free for a bit and off we went to fly circles around oat mills and grain elevators in a 172.

Now that I have a point of reference, man can that thing be squirrely compared to a Cherokee at times. I didn't notice it when I put a few hours in over the course of a few years because quite frankly I was still at the point where the plane was flying me more than me flying it.

I was wondering though, is it kosher to do that? I didn't even think if just going out for a joyride would piss off my instructor seeing as I'm basically building time without any input or observation from him. Is that sort of thing cool when you're still working on your license or is it generally frowned upon?

Either way it beat drinking in the hotel bar.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

EvilJoven posted:

Either way it beat drinking in the hotel bar.

Stop it. You know the answer to this. It's perfectly fine.

Tell your CFI In a cool way (like a text with you and the airplane or scenery or something) and don't be a huge douche about the flight or how cessnas are terrible or whatever.

It's good to have outside experience and insight.

It's bad to go back and forth between people and planes constantly when you're just trying to finish the private.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rickety Cricket posted:

Slaughter, what were you flying in your survey gig? I've recently started flying a 207 in addition to instructing. What a cool airplane (relative to a 172)

I flew a 206 which I'm pretty sure flies about the same. And yeah I miss that stupid airplane just a bit. I wish they were available for rental, it's a true 6 person airplane.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

I flew a 206 which I'm pretty sure flies about the same. And yeah I miss that stupid airplane just a bit. I wish they were available for rental, it's a true 6 person airplane.

I used to fly Pilots N Paws trips in a 206. Good friend with one just loved animals but was getting up there in age. He'd pay for the trip and I'd go move a plane-truck full of puppies to their new homes so they wouldn't be put down.

It taught me a little about flying, and a little about myself :clint:.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

It's bad to go back and forth between people and planes constantly when you're just trying to finish the private.

Planes maybe, but I think flying with different instructors is good, since each will challenge you as a pilot in different ways. Is it normal at most flight schools to have a single assigned instructor? We switched around between a pool of 8 instructors or so based on availability.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

Planes maybe, but I think flying with different instructors is good, since each will challenge you as a pilot in different ways. Is it normal at most flight schools to have a single assigned instructor? We switched around between a pool of 8 instructors or so based on availability.

Pilot Mill Academy? Sure have 18 instructors that all use the same syllabus.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To put it differently: what would be the advantage of sticking with a single instructor for your entire training, if the flight school employs multiple instructors?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I used to fly Pilots N Paws trips in a 206. Good friend with one just loved animals but was getting up there in age. He'd pay for the trip and I'd go move a plane-truck full of puppies to their new homes so they wouldn't be put down.

It taught me a little about flying, and a little about myself :clint:.

Thank you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In my experience, I hd my primary, and a secondary when he couldn't fly. After about 2 years, he switched out, and I got a new primary, who I had much much better progress under. As such, I just had my supervisory, and will be having my PPL flight test in the next couple weeks. Speaking of, anyone wanna throw questions at me I should know for the ground brief portion of the test? Pretty sure I knwo them all.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

PT6A posted:

To put it differently: what would be the advantage of sticking with a single instructor for your entire training, if the flight school employs multiple instructors?

So I'm just assuming we're talking about the private pilot license, which Joven is going for.

I think the obvious benefits are consistency, time not being wasted on personality and flying adjustments, and money.

I don't remember you're background, but as a civilian pilot, the only goal is to get my through the check ride.

Of course, how the students get there is up in the air, but I've never held my students back on purpose. As soon as you can pass the check ride (which is the goal) is the moment you're signed off to take it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

So I'm just assuming we're talking about the private pilot license, which Joven is going for.

I think the obvious benefits are consistency, time not being wasted on personality and flying adjustments, and money.

I don't remember you're background, but as a civilian pilot, the only goal is to get my through the check ride.

I was planning to go commercial, but stopped at PPL and I haven't been flying in ages. I'm thinking very strongly about getting re-current, though.

I agree it's likely more efficient to only have one instructor, but I don't think that means it's better. I'd rather be a more well-rounded pilot than get through my checkride in the fewest hours possible.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey that's cool and all but as a self-employed flight instructor when I'm the one signing off your solo endorsements I don't want whacko CFI from Shiny Jet Academy messing you up and crashing over the latest crosswind technique he learned from the Chinese in Scottsdale. (still talking private, here)

I freely admit I've never had military or ATP type pilot academy training, so YMMV.

And there are lots of assumptions to make here anyway. Two hours out of the entire Private? One hour a month? New instructor every week etc?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

In my experience, I hd my primary, and a secondary when he couldn't fly. After about 2 years, he switched out, and I got a new primary, who I had much much better progress under. As such, I just had my supervisory, and will be having my PPL flight test in the next couple weeks. Speaking of, anyone wanna throw questions at me I should know for the ground brief portion of the test? Pretty sure I knwo them all.

PPL flight test forthcoming? Nice! You've been working with PM still right? If he signs that recommend don't even sweat it, you've got it. I presume CG will be your examiner? Very reasonable guy on the ground, just for the love of god come in with any supporting material (CFS, AIM, Logs, POH) tabbed off - he would go off on rants in instructor meetings about how aggravating it was for him to sit there as some candidate flipped through the journey log for like 15mins trying to find when the last compass swing was done. Oh and tab poo poo off in your reference POH but use it as a glorified Table of Contents for the real official POH specific to that airframe which you will refer to whenever needed. Oh and he's huge on CofG stuff, know that cold. I'm sure DJ-PM will cover this with you ahead of the pre-flight test too.

Good to hear your progressing well man! You've certainly earned it!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey that's cool and all but as a self-employed flight instructor when I'm the one signing off your solo endorsements I don't want whacko CFI from Shiny Jet Academy messing you up and crashing over the latest crosswind technique he learned from the Chinese in Scottsdale. (still talking private, here)

No, flight instructors from the same organization who all know each other and can talk to each other about the student's strengths and weaknesses. And I think there's a big difference between a flight school with multiple instructors and, as you so pejoratively put it earlier, a "Pilot Mill Academy."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
LOL

Ok. I encourage you to not only get current again, but to also give us 3 or 4 effort posts on how well you've done after getting at least two different instructors regularly.

PS for the commercial do as much XC time as you can (hood too). When you can knock out the Regular PIC hours requirements that when you can really focus on passing the dreaded POWER OFF 180 Manuever (NEVER EVER Attempt in a Mooney, always attempt in an arrow or bonanza).

Edit: Come down to the states and I'll get you current with me and my Cherokee :clint:

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 6, 2016

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Don't have my logbook on me but I think I had 7 or so instructors on my barebones PPL through the air cadet system. Another 12-15 for my CPL and multi IFR in college. Both were very regimented programs that didn't allow for extra flying other than the curriculum.

I personally have no problem with multiple instructors if everyone is on the exact same page and curriculum, but when I instructed at a private school we each made our own lesson plans and I don't see it working that well in that environment.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah exactly. The logistics just get weird.

Oh hey Alan I know I've been flying in a different state with Bob for the last twenty hours but I'm
Back now and ready for that long XC solo endorsement.

Edit: I am not suggesting this is what PT6A is saying. In fact I don't really disagree with a Pratt and Whitney man on principal.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I liked sticking with one instructor for initial, and I think it's worth trying out multiple instructors to find one you gel with. We also did a couple checkrides with other instructors just to get a different perspective.

Just found out my OG student medical is expired, I've probably flown like ~10 hrs since I got my PPL over 4 years :sigh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SCOTLAND posted:

I personally have no problem with multiple instructors if everyone is on the exact same page and curriculum, but when I instructed at a private school we each made our own lesson plans and I don't see it working that well in that environment.

Yeah, I can see why that would be a major issue. Why wouldn't the curriculum be standardized by the school, though? I just took it for granted that any given flight school would do that, which might explain my confusion.

Captain Apollo posted:

Oh hey Alan I know I've been flying in a different state with Bob for the last twenty hours but I'm
Back now and ready for that long XC solo endorsement.

That's obviously not a good idea, but I don't see a problem with EvilJoven doing one flight with another instructor (or even more flights than that), provided it's more about practicing existing skills and less about learning new ones.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Captain Apollo posted:

Pilot Mill Academy? Sure have 18 instructors that all use the same syllabus.

I did Private at the satellite base of a Pilot Mill (though that's being too negative about it, because it really was a fun place to be the first year) with 6 CFIs on staff; everyone was assigned their own. I would eventually fly with three in that batch. I started in June and cranked out most of the syllabus through the end of August with PS (cool guy, but a bit tightly wound), though I did a couple flights with JF (really mellow) when he went on a brief vacation using flight benefits and, for whatever reason, I really relaxed after the two flights with JF.

PS passed MEI at the end of August and advanced to multi flying as he neared the end of the rainbow, so JF became my full-time, with Scott The Dick pinch-hitting one day when JF wasn't available. I also did the first two Stage Checks with STD (I realize that's a bad acronym, let's roll with it).

When five of what I call the Original Six, including PS and STD, jumped on either airline jobs or admin jobs within the Mill, JF (last man standing) became base manager and I was paired with new transfer BS for the duration of Private and start of Instrument. It wasn't long after the start of Instrument that the school reverted to Pilot Mill USA with the location starting to go to poo poo and, after getting dicked around on scheduling a couple times and the realization that the 172s we were flying were broken pieces of crap (including a lesson in which required equipment for what we were doing didn't work), I left Pilot Mill USA; with hindsight being 20/20, I realized BS was all about himself* (and apparently even verbally shat all over a student when that student was backseating the flight he was doing) and part of my problem. (*-I talked to someone in power 10 years after this happened who said the world still revolves around him.)

What I'm getting at is, at least in my experience (including two more full-time instructors during Instrument at another school), flying with different people occasionally can have its benefits for second opinions, but the Law of Primacy is a bitch to shake and I'd try to stick with one instructor as long as possible if you've got somebody you're really clicking with. I was screamed at on my Instrument checkride because I called "Airspeed alive" on the takeoff roll, something I'd done since the days of PS five years before.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Part one of my BFR is complete. Now to just do the lovely part of stalls and soft field landings. Oh god it feels so good to get back in the air after 7 years. I didn't completely botch anything either! The Piper Cherokee 140 is an interesting airplane compared to Cessnas that I have 90% of my TT in. Why is the elevator trim above my head and there are no toe brakes?! Ngl, and I know I'm gonna get flack for it, but I still like my 172s :colbert: Maybe the 180 I'll be checking out next will be a bit better.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Desi posted:

PPL flight test forthcoming? Nice! You've been working with PM still right? If he signs that recommend don't even sweat it, you've got it. I presume CG will be your examiner? Very reasonable guy on the ground, just for the love of god come in with any supporting material (CFS, AIM, Logs, POH) tabbed off - he would go off on rants in instructor meetings about how aggravating it was for him to sit there as some candidate flipped through the journey log for like 15mins trying to find when the last compass swing was done. Oh and tab poo poo off in your reference POH but use it as a glorified Table of Contents for the real official POH specific to that airframe which you will refer to whenever needed. Oh and he's huge on CofG stuff, know that cold. I'm sure DJ-PM will cover this with you ahead of the pre-flight test too.

Good to hear your progressing well man! You've certainly earned it!

Still with PM yup. CG will be my examiner, and the supervisory went very very well. I will tab all dat shiznit. We discussed how some of the aircraft POH don't match my real one, and we did discuss CoG on the supervisory. I'll study everything again tho. Finally at the end of the road it seems.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

IceLicker posted:

Part one of my BFR is complete. Now to just do the lovely part of stalls and soft field landings. Oh god it feels so good to get back in the air after 7 years. I didn't completely botch anything either! The Piper Cherokee 140 is an interesting airplane compared to Cessnas that I have 90% of my TT in. Why is the elevator trim above my head and there are no toe brakes?! Ngl, and I know I'm gonna get flack for it, but I still like my 172s :colbert: Maybe the 180 I'll be checking out next will be a bit better.

Cherokee 140s are not the equivalent of a Cessna 172.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ferret king: Does ATC have the current ability to tell which airplanes are equipped with ADSB and those that aren't?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Cherokee im flying has toe brakes and a trim wheel on the left seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Mine has electric trim and miraculously it still works. Manual trim wheel is between the seats.

The auto trim system that takes up most of the service manual looks neat but from what I have heard it is rare to see a plane where it still works.

• Locked thread