Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Also Ragdoll got taken out by that freaky looking Noumu so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aizawa's quirk also doesn't lend itself to physical combat per se but he's trained so he can still wrestle with those he can't cancel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Also Ragdoll got taken out by that freaky looking Noumu so...

ragdoll was beaten by a giant monster that feels no pain with chainsaw arms. mandelay couldn't beat up a teenage boy with a silly improvised weapon. pixiebob got sucker punched, which doesn't really say anything about her combat prowess either way. the pussycats were obviously incredible at search and rescue between their teamwork, intelligence and useful quirks. fighting villains just wasn't their strong point, is all. that's why i think tiger did very well against an experienced villain who did use his quirk.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The next chapter can't come out soon enough... I look forward to dorms...and who will pair up with who...

Have we done predictions/preferences on that sector yet?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My preference is All Might/Everyone

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My preference is All Might/Everyone
I don't think slicing up your favorite hero into tiny bits and assigning each piece as everyone's roommate is a reeeeeally terrific idea.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's an Ectoplasm standing in the corner of every dorm room all 'don't mind me just carry on'.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
UA being the greatest hero school with an impossibly huge campus should have single bedrooms for all in their dorms imo.

They won't of course but I'd be pissed as a student of they didn't. You can afford USJ and a dozen fake city blocks but I can't get my own room when you're forced to dorm us because you can't stop psychopaths from trying to murder us?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
They might also double people up to watch each others' backs and keep things from going all slasher flick.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mirage posted:

They might also double people up to watch each others' backs and keep things from going all slasher flick.

Who can they room with Hagakure to watch her back?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Having roommates would make the whole thing more interesting. If they all have their own rooms, then what is gonna happen? Some of them will get homesick, Mineta will try to peep (this is a given no matter what the housing situation is). No conflict, no opportunities for characters to interact.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fabricated posted:

AFO having Ragdoll's quirk definitely will come back into play at some point.

it's obviously a plot device to let a41 watch later battles and provide villain commentary for the reader

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Obviously, Deku is going to room with Sugar and

uh

animal dude.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Terper posted:

Obviously, Deku is going to room with Sugar and

uh

animal dude.

Yea, I actually would love if Deku got paired with a minor character that we haven't spent much time with. Hopefully it doesn't got for the painfully obvious option in pairing Deku up with Bakugou.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really hope they room Bakugou with Kirishima

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
repeatedly moving bakugou between rooms while trying to find someone he wouldn't immediately assault sounds like a fun story.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In a reverse magic teacher negima twist, everything up to this point was just a set-up for the manga to shift into an ecchi harem comedy by placing Deku in the female dorm

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Terper posted:

In a reverse magic teacher negima twist, everything up to this point was just a set-up for the manga to shift into an ecchi harem comedy by placing Deku Mineta in the female dorm

Too obvious?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Terper posted:

In a reverse magic teacher negima twist, everything up to this point was just a set-up for the manga to shift into an ecchi harem comedy by placing Deku in the female dorm

In three chapters, the manga ends when grape guy murders Deku in a fit of jealousy.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

UA being the greatest hero school with an impossibly huge campus should have single bedrooms for all in their dorms imo.

They won't of course but I'd be pissed as a student of they didn't. You can afford USJ and a dozen fake city blocks but I can't get my own room when you're forced to dorm us because you can't stop psychopaths from trying to murder us?

Even really expensive private universities don't have single rooms as the norm. From the schools' perspective, there are a lot of benefits to students rooming together and very few downsides.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Even really expensive private universities don't have single rooms as the norm. From the schools' perspective, there are a lot of benefits to students rooming together and very few downsides.

Here in the UK having your own room is the default and being forced to share is considered weird, and it's not like we have much space.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku will room with both Bakugou and Todoroki and the fanfictions will literally start writing themselves.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Slime posted:

Here in the UK having your own room is the default and being forced to share is considered weird, and it's not like we have much space.

To US universities, I think the consideration is less about space (although cost savings are a big deal obviously) and more about the added safety net. Your roommate knows if you were out drinking last night and didn't come back, your roommate is the first to know if you have a mental break, your roommate is the first to notice if you have a fever of 112 degrees Fahrenheit, etc.

Also, roommates are randomly assigned as freshmen. My sisters' first roommate was a self-hating lesbian evangelical christian from Alabama, and her second was a radical Communist from Spain who read Marx like the Bible and was actively studying/planning for a guerrilla revolution. It's hard to put a value on that sort of elbow-rubbing with people of wildly different values and cultures, and in the aggregate it has a major impact on the university's culture.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've shared a student apartment with three different people over the span of two years (one at a time) and all three of them had terrible bathroom manners

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I shared a dorm room with 3 people (at once) while in the military. My room mates routinely invited their friends over to have sex in my bed and I invested in hotel rooms.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
I'm currently living in dorms in the military and I cannot emphasize how much I want my personal space back.

I never asked to know this much about unclogging shower drains.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 6, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My favourite thing about the Pussycats is that they have super powers and are heroes but they aren't actually supposed to do much villain fighting at all. Sure Thirteen was the first rescue specialized hero but the nature of his power gives him combat potential regardless so he's not really the same as Ragdoll or Mandalay. Basically I really like the fleshed out nature of the MHA universe because the Pussycats are basically Coast Guard while the top 10 are Special Forces.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

My favourite thing about the Pussycats is that they have super powers and are heroes but they aren't actually supposed to do much villain fighting at all. Sure Thirteen was the first rescue specialized hero but the nature of his power gives him combat potential regardless so he's not really the same as Ragdoll or Mandalay. Basically I really like the fleshed out nature of the MHA universe because the Pussycats are basically Coast Guard while the top 10 are Special Forces.

I wonder whether Endeavour does anything other than beat the poo poo out of villains? His quirk (and temperament) imply a pretty narrow skillset.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Depending on how his quirk works with natural fire he might be a good firefighter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HellishWhiskers posted:

I'm currently living in dorms in the military and I cannot emphasize how much I want my personal space back.

I never asked to know this much about unclogging shower drains.

i remember a thread in gbs where a poster regaled the thread with suddenly realising why his friend had a potato masher in the shower

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

i remember a thread in gbs where a poster regaled the thread with suddenly realising why his friend had a potato masher in the shower

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jose posted:

Oh that's nasty.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

as long as dorm life doesn't become a killing game i'm okay with this

i've had it up to here with killing games

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm trying to figure out exactly what the deal with All Might's muscle form is. He doesn't have the dark outlines or erect hair antennae in flashbacks, he just looks like a healthy/normal person version of his skeleton form. It makes a point to say when he first started doing real heroics no one recognized him even though he himself says heroes always get famous during their youth.

And the other two users of All for One have never shown outlines like his that we've seen, nor has he mentioned any kind of transformation Midoriya would undergo. So even though the muscle form seems related to AFO it doesn't seem like a one-to-one relationship, especially since even after he's completely lost AFO he can still do muscle form for short periods of time.

So what the hell.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the deal with All Might's muscle form is. He doesn't have the dark outlines or erect hair antennae in flashbacks, he just looks like a healthy/normal person version of his skeleton form. It makes a point to say when he first started doing real heroics no one recognized him even though he himself says heroes always get famous during their youth.

And the other two users of All for One have never shown outlines like his that we've seen, nor has he mentioned any kind of transformation Midoriya would undergo. So even though the muscle form seems related to AFO it doesn't seem like a one-to-one relationship, especially since even after he's completely lost AFO he can still do muscle form for short periods of time.

So what the hell.

He says his stomach was destroyed in the beginning and that is why he became emaciated. I think Horikoshi just likes using the muscleform as a gag from time to time, and doesn't bother explaining the serious intricacy of why...
It was also said that All Might was a natural OfA user...so I think the whole power just 'clicked' with him, while Deku or even Nana struggled with it. It's clear he was a bit of a natural prodigy. I doubt we will ever see a Deku muscle form outside of a joke.... it's kind of not what the power is in the first place, and more about how All Might expended it to keep his outward form despite his impending death. It's a very honne / tatemae thing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Space-Bird posted:

He says his stomach was destroyed in the beginning and that is why he became emaciated. I think Horikoshi just likes using the muscleform as a gag from time to time, and doesn't bother explaining the serious intricacy of why...
It was also said that All Might was a natural OfA user...so I think the whole power just 'clicked' with him, while Deku or even Nana struggled with it. It's clear he was a bit of a natural prodigy. I doubt we will ever see a Deku muscle form outside of a joke.... it's kind of not what the power is in the first place, and more about how All Might expended it to keep his outward form despite his impending death. It's a very honne / tatemae thing.

On the other hand Horikoshi likes being detailed with how things work and why in general. All Might does say the wound and subsequent surgeries are why the true form looks the way it does, but technically that doesn't mean he didn't still have two forms before that, with the true form looking healthy like it did in flashbacks instead...

And like I said it would be such a good explanation for how he came "out of nowhere." And I just remembered, we know it isn't because he got the power as an adult because he went to UA, and it might mention at some other point he got it as an adolescent like Deku. And he wouldn't have "come out of nowhere" while he was still in school because of the prohibition on student vigilantism. So all that, combined with the flashbacks, point to him being true form through school and training then being muscle form when he started superheroing for real.

I think it would be cool if it was because of One for All, but as a side-effect. Like when you finally master One for All you get the ability to become an epitomized or idealized version of yourself. And we know All Might was a little bit of a fanboy like Deku, but it doesn't say of what... but it was probably American superhero comics, even if we're disregarding his appearance, because of his American place-named attacks, use of English, etc. So of course it would look like that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i assume muscle form is something he came up with to reduce the impact of OFA on his body and deku being a nerd will figure out another way to do it that doesn't waste x% of power just to make you big.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jewel Repetition posted:

On the other hand Horikoshi likes being detailed with how things work and why in general. All Might does say the wound and subsequent surgeries are why the true form looks the way it does, but technically that doesn't mean he didn't still have two forms before that, with the true form looking healthy like it did in flashbacks instead...

And like I said it would be such a good explanation for how he came "out of nowhere." And I just remembered, we know it isn't because he got the power as an adult because he went to UA, and it might mention at some other point he got it as an adolescent like Deku. And he wouldn't have "come out of nowhere" while he was still in school because of the prohibition on student vigilantism. So all that, combined with the flashbacks, point to him being true form through school and training then being muscle form when he started superheroing for real.

I think it would be cool if it was because of One for All, but as a side-effect. Like when you finally master One for All you get the ability to become an epitomized or idealized version of yourself. And we know All Might was a little bit of a fanboy like Deku, but it doesn't say of what... but it was probably American superhero comics, even if we're disregarding his appearance, because of his American place-named attacks, use of English, etc. So of course it would look like that.

You know, you make a great point. All Might is a graduate of UA, right? but I don't think he got OfA until after he was an adult... that means that dork kid Yagi just worked his butt off...and he didn't even have a muscle tail like Ojiro.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He definitely had OFA in UA at some point. Gran Torino became a teacher there for one year to teach him because of his connection with Nana and to help him master OFA and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Roland Jones posted:

He definitely had OFA in UA at some point. Gran Torino became a teacher there for one year to teach him because of his connection with Nana and to help him master OFA and all that.

Oh right! I forgot Gran Turino rolled in. thanks....still, I bet All Might's UA story is hella interesting. I get the vibe he may have got accepted before that... He was also hinted at the idea of evangelizing heroism before it was cool, right?