Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Seamonster posted:

Massive shitstorm typhoon set to score a direct hit on Taiwan very soon. Even if TSMC avoids being several feet underwater, infrastructure in the area could be hosed for some time.

That seems unlikely to me. Taiwan is well acquainted with powerful cyclones and they don't generally mess around. That being said, this cyclone is extremely impressive.

This cyclone is taking on what is commonly defined as an "annular" presentation. Annular cyclones are less impacted by environmental features that would normally cause high damage to their structure (a land mass like Taiwan, to take a random example).

As a result, a hit on Taiwan will be more damaging than normal to the inhabitants there. It stands to reason, also, that whatever energy is left after Taiwan is going to have more potency when it slams China. And China is already dealing with historic flooding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did we determine whether or not maximum memory clock would actually reduce performance on the 1080/1070? I believe the idea was that there's some form of ECC to the RAM, and boosting it to just barely stable means the card spends much more time trying to correct memory errors, despite running more quickly.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did we determine whether or not maximum memory clock would actually reduce performance on the 1080/1070? I believe the idea was that there's some form of ECC to the RAM, and boosting it to just barely stable means the card spends much more time trying to correct memory errors, despite running more quickly.

From what I understand the only way to know when you've reached the real maximum throughput is to benchmark repeatedly and watch for when performance drops.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Zero VGS posted:

They are reference cards by PNY. They have a retail PNY box (you can actually find the same things in Microcenter).

The thing to keep in mind is PNY does not have a transferable warranty. Their official text reads "1-Year (will be extended for the lifetime of the original purchaser upon completion of a registration form on PNY's website) - See more at: https://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1070-founders-edition?sku=VCGGTX10708PB-CG#sthash.5j1QMpp8.dpuf

"Lifetime Warranty" means for as long as they produce that model of card. If you register the card right away then sold the card to a friend or something you could still probably act as liaison to get it RMA'ed. I've given second-hand buyers my receipt and they were able to register it in their name.

Thanks, but strangely enough, the seller apparently ordered a 980 from near me and had it shipped to my house - I ended up receiving the reference nVidia card from Best Buy that arrived today; the eBay product page had said it was a Dell GeForce GTX 980, so not sure why he ended up just ordering it from Best Buy outside of the chance he didn't actually have it. The card at Best Buy is still retailing for $450 in stores and I paid him about $280.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stanley Pain posted:

Trip Report on my 1080.

It hits 2130MHz boost, and 5600MhHz on mem. It's a keeper alright.

Looks like mine tops out around 2113Mhz boost and 5600Mhz mem as long as I keep the GPU temp around 66C. This is with a Zotec Founders Edition.

So, it runs a little bit louder than the EVGA 1080FTW I was waiting for on preorder, but I doubt I would have been able to get much extra performance despite the custom board.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
$400 980Ti is starting to look appealing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The only thing that could be better is a $300 980ti!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Has the launch of a new video card ever had supply problems as bad as the 1080 still does?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've been waiting for a few weeks for a new GPU to be released within my budget, and I'm getting really impatient for the Rx 470. I might end up getting a 960 if something doesn't happen soon.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Galax sure does know how to make a sexy looking card. :fap:

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforcer-gtx-1080-hof-147.html

It comes with both a back and FRONT plate.

And instead of support staff, you get a support stick. Looks like if you had two of these cards, you could attach both to one support. Also has two mounting locations, in front as shown and on the side next to the PCI-E connectors.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 7, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A 960 is a patently bad choice at anywhere more than $85*. Please do not buy that. At ~$150 you can probably pick up a used 970 like this guy. The price is likely to rise towards the end of it, but hopefully you can snipe a good deal that is not a 960.

*Hyperbole.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Galax sure does know how to make a sexy looking card. :fap:

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforcer-gtx-1080-hof-147.html

It comes with both a back and FRONT plate.

And instead of support staff, you get a support stick. Looks like if you had two of these cards, you could attach both to one support. Also has two mounting locations, in front as shown and on the side next to the PCI-E connectors.

These are the guys who make the psycho-clown-box-art card, too?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yes, yes they are.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Are those still EU only? (I recall that being the case before anyway)

Can I have it??

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

Are those still EU only? (I recall that being the case before anyway)

Can I have it??

I know in the US you can buy directly from their store, http://galaxstore.net/. Sadly, that particular card is not available yet.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Gwaihir posted:

A 3 slot cooler would block the PCIe x1 and the PCI slot between the two X16s, but you would be able to put a card in the second x16 slot. (It might not be a great idea, because airflow, but you can do it).

I've seen several reports on reddit that the 3 slot Palit/Gainward cards are so big that they do not actually allow you to install 2 in SLI in most motherboards. In any case for airflow reasons those sound like the worst cards to get for that config. 2.5 slot should be fine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The only thing that could be better is a $300 980ti!

Would it be a really stupid idea to try to pick up a used 980ti cheap and run them in SLI for this generation? Would the power draw alone explode my PC?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

exquisite tea posted:

Would it be a really stupid idea to try to pick up a used 980ti cheap and run them in SLI for this generation? Would the power draw alone explode my PC?

Not unless you have a really bad PSU, in which case I'd doubt you'd be able to run a single 980ti; aim for a ~800W PSU for SLI 980tis. Also SLI is bad (so is XCF) due to very limited support.

On a different topic, I noticed no one posted AMD's latest real acquisition, HiAlgo.

My understanding is that the tech behind HiAlgo will dynamically scale on a per frame basis to improve framerate and latency without extremely noticeable changes in quality.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd

GTX 1060 6GB MSRP - $249
GTX 1060 6GB Founders - $299

Both Founders launching on the 19th, no mention of the 3GB version. I guess they realised it was dumb and scrapped it.

repiv fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 7, 2016

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

repiv posted:

Both launching on the 19th

Where do you see that? I'd assume FE cards only until the early adopters had their fill.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

repiv posted:

http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd

GTX 1060 6GB MSRP - $249
GTX 1060 6GB Founders - $299

Both launching on the 19th, no mention of the 3GB version. I guess they realised it was dumb and scrapped it.

Hmmm, if there are aftermarket ones with a decent cooler on top for ~$269 or so it's not a terrible deal, looking at the numbers it's around equal with the 980 and depending on how it overclocks it might be a decent card for the price.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

Where do you see that? I'd assume FE cards only until the early adopters had their fill.

It depends if you read this as "GTX1060 launching on July 19th, starting at $249" or "GTX1060, which starts at $249, launches on July 19th".

You're probably right that it's the second interpretation though :suicide:

repiv fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 7, 2016

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

repiv posted:

You're probably right that it's the second interpretation though :suicide:

I've been :f5: and reading your edits as they come in. :nsacloud:

I guess we'll know in a few hours or a few weeks!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

1060 seems underwhelming?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's possibly better than 480 for budget VR builds, but I want to see some benchmarks first.

Other than that, 480 is probably better frames/$ yeah.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Looks like mine tops out around 2113Mhz boost and 5600Mhz mem as long as I keep the GPU temp around 66C. This is with a Zotec Founders Edition.

So, it runs a little bit louder than the EVGA 1080FTW I was waiting for on preorder, but I doubt I would have been able to get much extra performance despite the custom board.

2100ish seems to be where these chips top out for the most part. I have the Zotac AMP Edition 1080. Great cooler on it. Even at 100% fan speed I can barely hear it. Haven't really heard of anyone getting into the 2200/2300 range on air cooling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, if there are aftermarket ones with a decent cooler on top for ~$269 or so it's not a terrible deal, looking at the numbers it's around equal with the 980 and depending on how it overclocks it might be a decent card for the price.

Yeah, with 6GB VRam it's not too bad. Otherwise it would have been difficult to recommend.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Raskolnikov posted:

1060 seems underwhelming?

Game benchmarks should be more revealing, but Firestrike only puts the 1060 8-10% ahead of an RX480 stock to stock. Considering overclocking potential and custom solutions, they either tie or the RX480 wins in price/perf. 1060 may also struggle with higher resolutions, dunno, it's supposedly pushing higher frames through an effectively smaller bus compared to the RX480, and the RX480 gets more per watt with overclocking the memory (+8-11% for ~5-10W) than it does with overclocking the core (+12-15% for ~30-40W).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Tell me more. :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

Game benchmarks should be more revealing, but Firestrike only puts the 1060 8-10% ahead of an RX480 stock to stock. Considering overclocking potential and custom solutions, they either tie or the RX480 wins in price/perf.

I'm surprised the RX480 can overclock well, given that it's an electrical fire à gogo even stock, but I haven't been paying s ton of attention.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I'm surprised the RX480 can overclock well, given that it's an electrical fire à gogo even stock, but I haven't been paying s ton of attention.

AFAIK it overclocks quite poorly.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Subjunctive posted:

Techpowerup found overclocking the 480 to give minimal improvement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

You might be surprised that you paid even less attention than you thought, because the 480 overclocks like poo poo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Inverness posted:

Tell me more. :allears:

Warning: Only the hardest of ocps and 3D gurus should even gaze at this

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Keep in mind the core clock on Polaris is about 30% lower than Pascal. An overclock delta of 100 Mhz on Polaris requires an overclock delta of 130 Mhz on Pascal.

Both chips are basically die shrinks with VR and memory bandwidth cheat codes. I think it is pretty obvious by now that AMDs architecture is more forward thinking than Nvidias (example: Nvidias half rear end hackjob implementation of asynch compute).

When do "legitimate" news sites start reporting on 1060?

Where is RX 470?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FaustianQ posted:

Not unless you have a really bad PSU, in which case I'd doubt you'd be able to run a single 980ti; aim for a ~800W PSU for SLI 980tis. Also SLI is bad (so is XCF) due to very limited support.

Yeah, everything I hear about SLI is "more trouble than it's worth" and it seems like many modern games overlook it completely.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

fletcher posted:

Has the launch of a new video card ever had supply problems as bad as the 1080 still does?
Practically every high end GPU before at least 2008 was a paper launch that trickled into the channel for months after release. At some point they stopped that poo poo and started having stock on the actual release date. This isn't the worst launch ever so much as a minor return to form. The problem is more that nV should know better, but most people looking to drop 800 dollars for the hottest tech are willing to overlook that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, everything I hear about SLI is "more trouble than it's worth" and it seems like many modern games overlook it completely.

So technically my OCd 970s should have been giving me around the same performance as the 1080 assuming really good SLI scaling. For example in 3Dmark benchmarks the scores between my 1080 and 970s were very, very close. Within a couple hundred of points.

In games, however, the difference is a bit more staggering. I'm playing the majority of my games rights now with the settings maxed @ 4k resolution. I was kinda worried that I was in for more of a sidegrade scenario but this has proven to be not the case. I'm really happy with the new card and not having to deal with SLI crap. Now to get another 1080 :v:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

ZobarStyl posted:

Practically every high end GPU before at least 2008 was a paper launch that trickled into the channel for months after release. At some point they stopped that poo poo and started having stock on the actual release date. This isn't the worst launch ever so much as a minor return to form. The problem is more that nV should know better, but most people looking to drop 800 dollars for the hottest tech are willing to overlook that.

I remember picking a Diamond TNT2 up off the shelf (at Best Buy, yuck) a couple of days after reading the first batch of reviews on Anandtech and HardOCP. It hasn't always been this bad.

Nvidia was the underdog at the time, so they had to put in some effort back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10474/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-july-19

E: reviews to coincide with retail availability, FE an actual limited edition, custom cards available at the same time!?

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 7, 2016