Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

JetsGuy posted:

If this is the case, look up what cards you are missing here and it'll tell you exactly who you need to play to get those cards.

http://www.gwentcards.com/

Thanks!

edit: Thanks to your help, I was able to complete Collect 'Em All and get the trophy. Turns out I had missed buying the ones I needed from the Innkeep in Urialla, and though I thought I'd freed the merchant in Velen that sold the cards, I hadn't. So, again, I appreciate the link.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
When should I play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine? I've only seen the launch trailer of Hearts of Stone, and know a little about the premise of Blood and Wine. Someone said Blood and Wine should be played post-game?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dan Didio posted:

When should I play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine? I've only seen the launch trailer of Hearts of Stone, and know a little about the premise of Blood and Wine. Someone said Blood and Wine should be played post-game?
Just about everything in Hearts of Stone is level 30+. I was level 25 when I sailed to the Island of Mists, and had more than enough levels to tackle the HoM stuff once I was done there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xander77 posted:

Just about everything in Hearts of Stone is level 30+. I was level 25 when I sailed to the Island of Mists, and had more than enough levels to tackle the HoM stuff once I was done there.

Okay, well, I'm level 23, and as far as I know, I'm still in act 1 (basically just got to Skellige looking for Ciri) so I'll hold off on Hearts of Stone until I've progressed a bit and levelled some.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dan Didio posted:

Okay, well, I'm level 23, and as far as I know, I'm still in act 1 (basically just got to Skellige looking for Ciri) so I'll hold off on Hearts of Stone until I've progressed a bit and levelled some.

Hearts of Stone you can do whenever you're high enough level for it (if ditching the main plot for a while doesn't bug you) but definitely finish the main game before doing Blood and Wine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-game-of-the-year-edition-spotted

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Weird, the euphoria mutagen keeps toggling on/off repeatedly during fights and I have no idea why. Since I'm running around w/ 3 decotions this means I randomly do half damage sometimes or not and it's really frustrating. It's the first skill that's really made an alchemy build seem great and it's frustrating to have it bug

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The ending where you release the horsey before meeting the crones.

The difference here is that the Crones don't blame Anna for the children being rescued, so she doesn't go all water hag. (though the children also never show up in Novigrad either, so where they went is a mystery)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The difference here is that the Crones don't blame Anna for the children being rescued, so she doesn't go all water hag. (though the children also never show up in Novigrad either, so where they went is a mystery)

Isn't that the worst ending for that quest? Children get eaten by the crones AND the village is massacred by the tree spirit.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Ha, redoing the Dragon quest where you have to guide the sheep thats being used as bait to a certain point. Was curious to see if Axii did anything and it turns out the sheep will follow you perfectly if you use it. GOAT.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xander77 posted:

The Hearts fights are so much bullshit. I'm level 35, but Fallen Knights take approximately a dozen strong blows to kill (and I got the "more damage on strong blows" perk AND a Greater red mutagen for 40% extra damage AND a mastercrafted school sword). Encountered a level 37 golem that took me literally five minutes of constant pummeling to take down. 3 strong blows - roll - three strong blows - roll - he now has a barely noticeable decrease on his health bar.
You have to start experimenting a bit. Fallen Knights are vulnerable to some signs and bombs, also use whirlwind while they're incapacitated by various effects when you fight groups of them. Golems are a bit of a bitch in the main game as well, they're vulnerable to elemental oil and dimeritium bombs but it still takes some time to kill them, yeah. It helps that they're solitary creatures though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

Isn't that the worst ending for that quest? Children get eaten by the crones AND the village is massacred by the tree spirit.

The children survive (the crones mention that they have gone missing), but it is unclear where they went to because Geralt never cut a deal with the tree spirit to keep them safe. The demon just takes them away from the Crones to spite her daughters.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It sure seems like it's coming in August, but it would be interesting if it slipped into October or later since that would require them to support the PS4 Neo.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What exactly does sign intensity do? Is it just a percentage that increases the chance of something with that sign? Like, if I have 20% sign intensity, does igni have a 20% more chance to burn, aard have more of a chance to knock people down, etc?

And as far as intensity, are the skills later in the sign trees for intensity worth it, or is it just easier/better to use runes and glyphs on your gear. And of course, using the highest level blue mutagens I can get.

And finally, does intensity ever top out or have a max level?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 6, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

10 Beers posted:

What exactly does sign intensity do? Is it just a percentage that increases the chance of something with that sign? Like, if I have 20% sign intensity, does igni have a 20% more chance to burn, aard have more of a chance to knock people down, etc?

And as far as intensity, are the skills later in the sign trees for intensity worth it, or is it just easier/better to use runes and glyphs on your gear. And of course, using the highest level blue mutagens I can get.

And finally, does intensity ever top out or have a max level?

It increases basically everything about the Sign effects-- damage, secondary effects (burn from Igni, knockdown from Aard for example), and duration. I don't think it's a 1:1 boost, check your character page and you can see the values but various Signs scale differently with Intensity.

No, I would say the later Sign tree skills are garbage. You're investing five points and an ability slot for +25% Intensity to only one Sign, and that's a bad deal. It's pretty easy to stack 100-200% or more Intensity from gear and mutagens, which is honestly plenty. The base damages don't scale afaik, so mostly you care about the duration and chance to inflict secondary effects. If you're at 100% chance to burn with Igni, you're not getting much more out of Intensity there. The best Signs tree abilities are in the first two tiers where you unlock alternate modes and utility which are great.

I don't think it maxes out but it kind of has diminishing returns once you're consistently landing secondary effects, since the base damage values don't scale.

Signs-heavy builds are strong early in the game since you get Griffin gear the earliest, and then late-game in B&W when the highest tier Griffin set causes you to double-cast signs. For the most part I think it's better to go for a more hybrid build once you get a decent amount of Intensity, you'll get more mileage out of Acquired Tolerance and blade oil abilities in Alchemy or Whirl in swords tree, for example.

Edit: one of my favorite setups is Griffin or Wolf gear with the Griffin School techniques ability and a hybrid build. This gives you massive stamina regen to spam a lot of Signs, grab Acquired Tolerance to use multiple decoctions at once, and your pick of sword skills because ultimately that's your best damage source. Ekhidna decoction highly recommended since you'll be casting a lot and therefore healing a lot. Sign Intensity is good but you don't need to go all-in, you also want stamina regen to sustain your casting and sword stuff to actually do damage.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There's a general perk that allows you to cast using Adrenaline points, which allows you to double or triple cast. Not sure how well it combines with the other perks that allow you to generate adrenaline via signs, but now that I've filled my 12 slots, may as well find out (using the "general perks always active" mod, obviously)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My computer has a little trouble running this on bottom settings. :saddowns:

Tempted to try anyway but big flashy fights might be too much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The children survive (the crones mention that they have gone missing), but it is unclear where they went to because Geralt never cut a deal with the tree spirit to keep them safe. The demon just takes them away from the Crones to spite her daughters.

I don't know if the tree spirit really cares about the Crones or the children anymore, it just wants to be free.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pellisworth posted:

It increases basically everything about the Sign effects-- damage, secondary effects (burn from Igni, knockdown from Aard for example), and duration. I don't think it's a 1:1 boost, check your character page and you can see the values but various Signs scale differently with Intensity.

No, I would say the later Sign tree skills are garbage. You're investing five points and an ability slot for +25% Intensity to only one Sign, and that's a bad deal. It's pretty easy to stack 100-200% or more Intensity from gear and mutagens, which is honestly plenty. The base damages don't scale afaik, so mostly you care about the duration and chance to inflict secondary effects. If you're at 100% chance to burn with Igni, you're not getting much more out of Intensity there. The best Signs tree abilities are in the first two tiers where you unlock alternate modes and utility which are great.

I don't think it maxes out but it kind of has diminishing returns once you're consistently landing secondary effects, since the base damage values don't scale.

Signs-heavy builds are strong early in the game since you get Griffin gear the earliest, and then late-game in B&W when the highest tier Griffin set causes you to double-cast signs. For the most part I think it's better to go for a more hybrid build once you get a decent amount of Intensity, you'll get more mileage out of Acquired Tolerance and blade oil abilities in Alchemy or Whirl in swords tree, for example.

Edit: one of my favorite setups is Griffin or Wolf gear with the Griffin School techniques ability and a hybrid build. This gives you massive stamina regen to spam a lot of Signs, grab Acquired Tolerance to use multiple decoctions at once, and your pick of sword skills because ultimately that's your best damage source. Ekhidna decoction highly recommended since you'll be casting a lot and therefore healing a lot. Sign Intensity is good but you don't need to go all-in, you also want stamina regen to sustain your casting and sword stuff to actually do damage.

Thanks! I'm playing on Death March, and definitely aiming for a hybrid build eventually. Right now, the gourmet perk is taking up a slow, althought at least I have Swallow now. Really need to find White Rafford's! For now, though, enhanced Yrden and Axii are pretty great.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My computer has a little trouble running this on bottom settings. :saddowns:

Tempted to try anyway but big flashy fights might be too much.

There are mods you can get that lower the settings even more. That's what I use since the regular low settings are a bit much for me. It doesn't exactly look pretty, but I've never cared about having super good graphics in the first place, plus there's so much more to the game than just how it looks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not who asked the question but thanks, that was very helpful info.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Been skimming the thread to avoid plot talk, currently level 22 and on The King is Dead in the main story. Is there a prompt to go to Kaer Morhen? On the map it says Level 19, so I'm assuming it is story related, but mostly trying to fly blind.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

^burtle posted:

Been skimming the thread to avoid plot talk, currently level 22 and on The King is Dead in the main story. Is there a prompt to go to Kaer Morhen? On the map it says Level 19, so I'm assuming it is story related, but mostly trying to fly blind.

Yes, its plot related.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Got it.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Any tips for playing as the Skellige deck?

I had got used to just destroying every opponent with Northern Realms + spy-spamming, so losing my go-to tactic is troubling.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Abuse your insane musters with bonds, like dropping every Shieldmaiden and hoping for Cerys. You may be able to pull off berserker deck, but that relies on pulling either Ermion or mushrooms.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

oxford_town posted:

I had got used to just destroying every opponent with Northern Realms + spy-spamming, so losing my go-to tactic is troubling.

Bears are garbage. Use muster cards, decoys and the graveyard shuffle to make big combos every round while making the enemy waste their own cards.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lol the loving great debt the portrait guy had in Dandelion's quest was 200 orens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirSamVimes posted:

Did you shove Djikstra and break his leg? Because if you did, he's too pissed off to bring you in on the final plot.

This is one of those things that Witcher 3 does frequently that I'm not a big fan of. It says something in the choice that ends up being totally different from what you actually end up doing. In this instance the dialoge said something like "shove Djikstra out of the way". But instead of simply doing that, you punch or shove him really hard on to the ground, GRAB HIS LEG, AND TWIST IT SO HARD THAT IT BREAKS. I was like what the gently caress? That is not what I wanted to do at all. There's plenty of options like that in the game where you're given a dialogue choice but then Geralt ends up saying something different

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macaluso posted:

This is one of those things that Witcher 3 does frequently that I'm not a big fan of. It says something in the choice that ends up being totally different from what you actually end up doing. In this instance the dialoge said something like "shove Djikstra out of the way". But instead of simply doing that, you punch or shove him really hard on to the ground, GRAB HIS LEG, AND TWIST IT SO HARD THAT IT BREAKS. I was like what the gently caress? That is not what I wanted to do at all. There's plenty of options like that in the game where you're given a dialogue choice but then Geralt ends up saying something different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKJqdq4eX4

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

oxford_town posted:

Don't run the berserker cards. You'll want the usual good neutral cards (Avallach, Yennefer, Dandelion, the scorch dragon), every Skellige card with Muster or Tight Bond, Cerys, Olaf, Birna and fill out whatever spots you have left with Geralt, Ciri, the Scorch pirate and/or the Avenger card. Skellige is a lot more reliant on drawing good unit cards on the initial draw than the Spy decks so going with just Decoys and Horns (and maybe a Scorch or two) is a good idea instead of running a full 10 special cards. Standard strategy will be to aim to win the first and third rounds. You can use Crach's leader ability to do things like deny your opponent's medics (especially useful against Scoiatel and Nilfgaard) and replay Muster cards (play Shieldmaidens in an early round then play Cerys in a later one and/or Decoy out a single Muster card before the end of a round.) You can also use it to better control what cards get carried over to round three by only playing two cards during round two and emptying your graveyard before the round is over. Carrying over something like two Tight Bond cards can be free 16 points going into the final round.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Novigrad has so many quests. SO MANY QUESTS. WHEN WILL IT END? I want to see Skellige and Kaer Moren but I must do all of the quests. :shepicide:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

sitchelin posted:

Novigrad has so many quests. SO MANY QUESTS. WHEN WILL IT END? I want to see Skellige and Kaer Moren but I must do all of the quests. :shepicide:

This is me the last 2.5 weeks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sitchelin posted:

Witcher3.txt

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Does anyone bother to upgrade the runewright and pimp the vineyard and poo poo?

So expensive. I'm having enough trouble just putting together cash for my grandmaster set. I'm probably halfway through B&W, so maybe I haven't quite hit the point where fat stacks start rolling in.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Someone suggested playing this game with a controller. A friend gave me one - a generic one that looks like an x-box controller with a W where the X should be. Unfortunately, I can't get my computer to recognize it. I tried downloading the xbox PC program, which didn't do anything, and that's pretty much where the internet runs out of ideas. Help?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like if i help you solve one of your billion insane problems i will be diseased with the 'nothing works right' virus and i want to avoid that, so youre on your own

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

i feel like if i help you solve one of your billion insane problems i will be diseased with the 'nothing works right' virus and i want to avoid that, so youre on your own
Since I approached you specifically, rather than asking for help in general, that reply was entirely relevant. Thank you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I think I'm approaching the end of Act 1, just unlocked The Last Wish and Ugly Baby, what sidequests are must-do or they will expire? The plot ones I have look like working with the ex-spymaster to take down Radovid, and rescuing the Jarl's son and daughter, plus who knows what else. Also five billion underwater question marks in the ocean off Skellig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xander77 posted:

Someone suggested playing this game with a controller. A friend gave me one - a generic one that looks like an x-box controller with a W where the X should be. Unfortunately, I can't get my computer to recognize it. I tried downloading the xbox PC program, which didn't do anything, and that's pretty much where the internet runs out of ideas. Help?
You have to find out what the name/company of the controller is. Look for any name/marking on the controller itself and then download a specific driver for it - there isn't something like a default driver that will run every single gamepad that you plug into your machine. Ask your friend about it? Maybe he can give you the driver directly?