Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The new filler episode was alright. Desire's backstory wasn't exactly original, but it sufficed to explain her motivations. I was confused when Luffy was able to fight after the silver ball was destroyed, since I was under the impression he couldn't move because he was starving. Apparently the energy required to move the ball slightly while inside it is more than the energy required to fight using Gear Second. Or did Bill's Devil Fruit power imbue the ball with some specific magic property that prevents hungry people from moving? Best not to overthink it. They did a decent job of writing around Bartolomeo's powers; he's in a weird place where he's presumably weaker than Luffy overall, but he has a seemingly very powerful ability that Oda hasn't really shown the limits of yet. Having his hands get stuck and him struggling to free them over the course of the episode worked well, and we even got to see a clever application of his barriers at the end. There's going to be a similar writing challenge in the next episode, where Zoro will be getting a fight.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Captain Invictus posted:

That is incredibly rad

might be the only thing that can make the anime not look like garbage these days :(

but yeah it's pretty neat

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bounceman is so cool

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Now lets see the King Kong Gun comparison

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Holy poo poo.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is a cool thing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The future of comics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's pretty cool, but it really makes me appreciate Oda's style more than the anime :v:

It has a certain, like, whimsical, cartoonish quality that ironically does not translate very well to animation. Or at least Toei don't translate it very well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Begemot posted:

That's pretty cool, but it really makes me appreciate Oda's style more than the anime :v:

It has a certain, like, whimsical, cartoonish quality that ironically does not translate very well to animation. Or at least Toei don't translate it very well.

I think if someone made one of those for scenes from Enies Lobby or Arlong Park it'd translate much better, the anime just stopped caring a long time ago.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, I'm getting pretty close to being caught up--just getting into the swing of Dressrosa now; it's shaping up to be a fun arc. Some general thoughts:

-Nami and Robin really need to learn to appreciate the magnificence of giant robots and laser beams.

-I'm pretty sure Luffy is completely oblivious to the plot like 99% of the time and just trusts the team to point him at the Dude That Needs Punching (major exception being Impel Down/Marineford)

-It is going to take roughly forever for Jinbei to join the Straw Hats, isn't it

-Why couldn't Perona have joined them? No, it makes no sense whatsoever and it would mean two characters from Thriller Bark sticking around (because you'd have to pry Brook away from my cold dead skeletal hands) and also Brook's post-timeskip GHOST POWERS would be kind of redundant but dammit she had a great pre-timeskip design (post-timeskip less so), a fun personality and GHOST POWERS. At least give her a title-page story, you gave one to

-Smoker in Tashigi's body is a national treasure

-:yohoho:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dressrosa has some great moments, not least Usopp becoming the best Straw Hat, but you will notice it being dragged out somewhat in the second half of the arc. Just plough on through.

As for Jimbei... No comment. :cheeky:

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I actually just caught up myself. I started from the beginning last July and read the newest chapter last week. (I only read a handful of chapters per week)

I would rank Dressrosa in the middle in terms of arcs. It's certainly better than Sky Peia and Fishman Island, but I enjoyed arcs like Water 7 and Thriller Bark a lot more. And the current arc seems to be shaping up to be an interesting one.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Skypiea is good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we got a week off, post some dumb or crazy theories. best you got, friends.

no nanomachines.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Like nanomachines was really a thing. This guy read all of magic halloween town island and magic sky adventure and he took one look at Kizaru AND HIS ABILITES and said, "But guys, is it possible it ISN'T a devil fruit for once?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Re: Pudding.

Good or bad?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pudding's powers seemed a bit too contrived to me. If it was a stand that could turn people into living toys and erase all memory of them, it would be fine, but a devil fruit? They're usually more cohesive.

But it lead directly to God Ussop so I can't be too mad.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Begemot posted:

Pudding's powers seemed a bit too contrived to me. If it was a stand that could turn people into living toys and erase all memory of them, it would be fine, but a devil fruit? They're usually more cohesive.

Wrong dessert.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Advice posted:

Wrong dessert.

"Sugar" is an ingredient, not a dessert.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Begemot posted:

When you grow up you forget about your toys. And kids constantly forget about their toys when they get a new one.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Sugar's powers were ridiculously contrived even in One Piece's wacky universe, but at least Oda realized how ridiculous she was and realistically had Dofy keep her under constant lock and key because if that chick bumps her head on something everything is ruined.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Advice posted:

Wrong dessert.

Oops!

Pudding seems fun. I'd be okay with her being legit good like that lady Sanji met last time or being a villain. The latter seems more likely given where she ended up leading the strawhats.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

Not with that attitude.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

in this part of the sea it could be a desert.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I wonder if they'll explain Big Mom's motivations for becoming a pirate and going out to sea? They showed Whitebeard's motivation for wanting a family, so do y'all think Big Mom's motivation was conquest or candy primarily?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I wonder if they'll explain Big Mom's motivations for becoming a pirate and going out to sea? They showed Whitebeard's motivation for wanting a family, so do y'all think Big Mom's motivation was conquest or candy primarily?

Both. She needed to conquer a lot of territory to satisfy her enormous appetite for candy.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Lol@anyone who thinks Big Mom won't have a tragic backstory

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Advice posted:

Lol@anyone who thinks Big Mom won't have a tragic backstory
That one time she wanted to eat Créme Brulée and noone had it and she ended up eating her entire home island.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

has one piece ever not gone into the big bad guy of the day's motivation

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don Kreig?

I mean, sure, he got beat my Mihawk, but he was a pirate before that already.

It's also a much flimsier past than any other East Blue villain.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don krieg and bandanna guy will return

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Manatee Cannon posted:

he wanted food and a ship because he sucked at being a pirate and was an rear end in a top hat

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gin. I think that was his name.

And then there was Pearl, and guy who wore two shields as a shirt.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember pearl because his special move was setting himself on fire like an idiot

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember pearl because his special move was setting himself on fire like an idiot
No that was Ace and he's dead now

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

And now Sanji stole his move.

So did one of the Gorgon sisters.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I forget but when Sugar was knocked out and everyone remembered everyone again did we get a panel of Dofy remembering the shitloads of enemies he's faced and battles he's forgotten about?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nope. Though to be fair, is he really the kind of person who would have given a drat?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't believe Wapol had a tragic backstory, did he? Just an (amusingly) tragic sidestory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't believe Wapol had a tragic backstory, did he? Just an (amusingly) tragic sidestory.

I don't think we ever got Wapol's backstory. He showed up in Chopper's and Vivi's, but never had one focused on him.

He's just some rear end in a top hat who happened to be royalty.