Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think Battle Tendency (volume 2) is fine if you ever enjoyed Fist of the North Star. The JJBA author sure did!

I can't complain about that tho since I started reading Hokuto after JoJo. Gateway drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
German science is the best in the world

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Choco1980 posted:

I don't have the panels, but I'm reminded of one of the cooler Rogue moments. This was early 90s. The team was fighting Nimrod and getting plastered. First, because she gets knocked out, Rogue absorbs Kitty Pride's powers (as well as her nerd analytical background voice) but then things get serious time, so with Kitty's smarts, she comes up with a plan, and grabs both Colossus' and Nightcrawler's powers. She then bamfs in, grabs Nimrod's arm, and teleports away with JUST that piece of him, tearing him apart.

There is a similar issue back in the 80s X-Men era where Warlock's father has come to Earth looking for him and ends up fighting I think Rogue, Colossus and Nightcrawler.

Anyway, I think the fight ends up going that he tries to techmode Colossus, but can't because something about his organic-metal body is somewhat resistant to it. Rogue tries to absorb his powers, but they end up just partially screwing her up for a short time and make her into a Warlock-thing instead. Nightcrawler finally attempt to grab a piece of him and teleport just a chunk of him away and it surprisingly works enough to end the fight in a draw.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Here are the Rogue panels in question.

X-Men 194

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, that is...a lot of dialogue.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Man, that is...a lot of dialogue.

That's what happens when a 1985 era comic meets Chris Claremont.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Old X-Men was so goddamn good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Claremont was able to make a pink robot named "Nimrod" feel threatening, which deserves some respect. (Yes, I know where the name comes from; that's not the point.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For the record, Batroc has admitted that he fakes his French accent because he thinks it's funny. Just in case you didn't think he was the best already.

Gavok posted:

They also based Dynamo from Mega Man X on Hol Horse.

I hate Dynamo, how dare he sully Jojo by associating it with the worst Mega Man X game until all the Mega Man X games that were made after it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How good is he at leaping?

Hella good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I hate Dynamo, how dare he sully Jojo by associating it with the worst Mega Man X game until all the Mega Man X games that were made after it.

But his theme song's rad as hell!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
you do realize that nazi is actually a -semi hero in the series right? i mean sure he does awaken the first pillarman...but they wouldnt know how to beat them without him

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

German science is the best in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZaVvnHGJE better for not spoilers

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
His theme from the cartoon is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyxOXjZHl9U

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ignite Memories posted:

What if I just wanna watch jojo? Is that okay? Or is the comic a lot better than she show.

I hope to God it is, because I watched like five episodes of Stardust Crusaders and it was seriously some of the lamest poo poo I'd ever seen.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The sudden, abrupt and largely unexplained change from Ripple users to Stands Stands Stands Stands continues to confuse and mildly annoy me.

I mean don't get me wrong, I see the appeal and some of 'em are kinda cool, but why spend two 'seasons' (if you can call them that) focusing on Ripple/Hamon and then suddenly "Nope, gonna go with imaginary friends being real"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The anime doesn't have the artistic wrinkles of the early comic, which is, at times, Liefeld-like. Also, Stardust Crusaders is the worst part to start with because unlike every other part it's pretty much an Enemy of the Week show and can get repetitive.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

WickedHate posted:

The anime doesn't have the artistic wrinkles of the early comic, which is, at times, Liefeld-like. Also, Stardust Crusaders is the worst part to start with because unlike every other part it's pretty much an Enemy of the Week show and can get repetitive.

Weird, I'd been hearing it was the best place to start.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I imagine it's the best place to start because once they ditch Ripple they never go back to it so best you not get attached to the idea by watching the first parts.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Samovar posted:

Weird, I'd been hearing it was the best place to start.

I have too and I don't get it. Maybe because of the Ripple thing, yeah-the first two parts use a completely different superpower than the rest of the comic which is introduced in SC-but it's so formulaic it's hard to get a good impression of the franchise as a whole if you aren't already full steam ahead on the JoJo train. Don't get me wrong, personally, I'd rank Part 3 above the first two, and it's good and has some of the best moments, but you can't rush perfection.

If you're really going to skip parts, you might as well start with Part 4, which is quintessential JoJo and is more or less unconnected to what came before, as far as the basic plot goes. It's being adapted now so you could watch it and read the manga from the start in your spare time. But I really recommend going full hog.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The sudden, abrupt and largely unexplained change from Ripple users to Stands Stands Stands Stands continues to confuse and mildly annoy me.

I mean don't get me wrong, I see the appeal and some of 'em are kinda cool, but why spend two 'seasons' (if you can call them that) focusing on Ripple/Hamon and then suddenly "Nope, gonna go with imaginary friends being real"

The writer probably felt that he wrote and drew himself into a corner with how hamon works and wanted things to be (much, MUCH) more freeform.

With stands he probably felt he could take much greater liberties in both writing and art, by having a physical extension of a characters personality and will, rather than some vague battle aura like in 90% of shonen manga.

He did revisit hamon, with a bit of a spin, a bit in steel ball run.

Also he probably wanted to draw more cool rear end absurfist fashion designs without making entirely new characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Much like Fist of the North Star, the Jojo guy was just making poo poo up on the fly and had no greater plan, so he probably just came up with stands 2 days before introducing them in the comic.

I don't understand why anime nerds think stands are so cool. I mean they're ok, but wouldn't it be more interesting to just have a power instead of having a ghost friend who has the power? It's just an unnecessary step. I always see anime nerds go insane whenever a fighting game character or anything has something that's even remotely like a stand, and I just don't get it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

At least in FotNS the dude stuck with what he came up with, Ken didn't suddenly have all his special head-exploding skills magically attributed to some strange ghost-man that lives in his soul.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HnK is actually full of weird retcons. These two guys trained together, and there's a north and a south star style, and one went evil! No wait, there's 6 leaders of the south star style! And they're all evil too! And there were 3 other north star style students, and it's really unclear how any of their training related to each other! And Ken can copy moves he sees now, but he's only going to do that this one time and never use it again! And now he's going to hit this pressure point that lets him read sanskrit!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Sure, but at least it stays magic pressure points, is what I'm getting at :v: he didn't switch to something entirely different two seasons in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I don't understand why anime nerds think stands are so cool. I mean they're ok, but wouldn't it be more interesting to just have a power instead of having a ghost friend who has the power? It's just an unnecessary step. I always see anime nerds go insane whenever a fighting game character or anything has something that's even remotely like a stand, and I just don't get it.

Imo, it's because after Stardust Crusaders uses up most of the obvious ones, stands start getting weird as poo poo. Instead of straight up Pokemon battles between ghost men as was the norm for Part 3, fights turn into near puzzles with characters making smart uses of their abilities.

This derail has gone on long enough without badass panels, so here's Josuke dealing with a hostage situation:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Does anyone have the sequence where Joseph and Abdul defeat Mariah? That might be my favorite badass Jojo moment.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

Here are the Rogue panels in question.

X-Men 194

So this means Nightcrawler's sweet jerry-curl is part of his mutation?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If I remember correctly, the stated reason is that around that time frame, most every shonen comic was doing things like Ripple. Araki wanted to move to something more unique and visually outlandish. Except in very rare cases, Stands aren't separate mental entities from their users; they're superpowers displayed visually.

Araki is also kind of known for himself being some sort of reverse-aging immortal vampire fairy man, so presumably he wanted to move away from depicting his primary weakness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What the hell are ripples and stands?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Forget it, Retro. It's JoJoTown.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Retro Futurist posted:

tl;dr answer: Ripples are new agey chakra/energy whosiwhatsits that make the punchmans fight better. Stands are imaginary friends that give the punchmans superpowers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Choco1980 posted:

tl;dr answer: Ripples are new agey chakra/energy whosiwhatsits that make the punchmans fight better. Stands are imaginary friends that give the punchmans superpowers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Retro Futurist posted:

Stand-users are sort of like mutants, but without all the angst over societal bullshit and their abilities are usually more creative and unique.

Rather than have a superpower of their own, they basically control a ghostly object (their stand), which itself has powers. The major characters tend to have stands in the form of beings that look like Aztec superheroes. Others have them in the form of less conventional things like bugs, cars, books, dolls, shadows, fog, water, etc.

For instance, the main character from the third series, Jotaro, has a stand called Star Platinum. It's this robot-looking thing with super strength, speed and precision. It's fast and precise enough to pull a bullet out of the sky. Or there's a cowboy named Hol Horse with a stand called Emperor that's just a revolver, but it has unlimited bullets and can change the trajectory of the bullets in mid-air.

While not a panel, here's a great badass moment involving Jojo. This guy named Steely Dan's been hired to kill the heroes. His stand is called Lovers and it's a tiny creature that goes inside the bodies of others. If any damage befalls Dan, the damage hits the victim tenfold. He places Lovers inside the body of Jotaro's grandfather and decides to gently caress with Jotaro. He orders him around, makes him do demeaning poo poo, abuses him and so on. At one point, he sees Jotaro scribbling something down. Dan sees that it's a list of all the stuff he's done to Jotaro. Jotaro claims it's a receipt for later. Even though he has all the cards, Dan kind of panics for a second and slaps him.

Later on, the other heroes get Lovers out of Jotaro's grandfather, meaning there's nothing keeping Jotaro from loving Dan up. Dan pleads for his life and Jotaro walks away in disgust, saying he isn't worth it.

Then this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdAQJBOHVfA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

Much like Fist of the North Star, the Jojo guy was just making poo poo up on the fly and had no greater plan, so he probably just came up with stands 2 days before introducing them in the comic.

Cuz it looks sweet as hell and at least in Jojo, they usually have creatively interesting powers.

The first few guys in Stardust Crusaders have kind of basic powers because... they were like the first few guys the writer came up with. Since most of them become the core cast it's not as crazy as it could be later.

If you wanted to just jump in with Part 4 of the anime that'd probably work out. But it's all good, though the fifth part of the manga had a superficially-decent but actually bad translation. (Part 4 itself has a legendarily Engrished fan translation which was actually far more accurate to what the gently caress was actually happening in the story.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It does take a while for stands to come into their own but around a third of the way through part 3 the sands start developing more abstract powers and the fights become more like puzzles where they have to use their own powers in a clever way to beat them and the fights become more interesting. For example one of the later fights is actually a rigged poker match and the guy is defeated by the protagonist using his stand to sell a bluff (he uses it to light his cigarette, and a little bit later uses it to quickly get himself a drink.)

EDIT:

quote:

But it's all good, though the fifth part of the manga had a superficially-decent but actually bad translation. (Part 4 itself has a legendarily Engrished fan translation which was actually far more accurate to what the gently caress was actually happening in the story.)

actually there is a better translation in the works right now, and it updates at pretty regular intervals too.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Bodhisaltva. He was taken by the Stand.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Cuz it looks sweet as hell and at least in Jojo, they usually have creatively interesting powers.

The first few guys in Stardust Crusaders have kind of basic powers because... they were like the first few guys the writer came up with. Since most of them become the core cast it's not as crazy as it could be later.

If you wanted to just jump in with Part 4 of the anime that'd probably work out. But it's all good, though the fifth part of the manga had a superficially-decent but actually bad translation. (Part 4 itself has a legendarily Engrished fan translation which was actually far more accurate to what the gently caress was actually happening in the story.)

I know what Jojo is, I just don't know why stands are such a huge deal to everyone but me. I like Jojo because of the characters and crazy visuals, not the "creative powers" which usually just lead to a fuckton of exposition in the middle of a fight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Stands were introduced over Ripple because Hirohiko Araki decided that he'd pretty much stretched Hamon as far as he could. It was also the time when he started noticing a lot of manga doing a "Strongest in the world" style of enemy. So instead he thought up a collection of powers that rather than one person being able to do absolutely everything, they would each have something they could do, and then smack them together to see how they interacted. In the beginning, the powers were vague and basic, based off typical "ESP" powers, because that was the influence, it was also referred to as a "Ghostly Ripple" to keep the ties together. But upon the point where he realized "Man who can control fire to melt through steel is so basic and powerful that I can't have him do anything" Stands became much more diverse with their powers. Stands that possess objects, Stands that make you magnetic, stands that de-age you, stands that can control you from a puncture wound. A lot of them were also based on horror movies Araki liked, such as a stand that attacked you in your dreams.

As the series got past the third arc they got weirder and weirder. A Stand that allows you to turn people into books and read them, or write in new memories/commands. A Stand that can weaponize sound effects, A Stand that can turn anything it touches into a bomb, a stand that can "Chapter Skip" 30 seconds of time, a stand that can turn anything biological into something else biological, such as turning a tooth into a jelly fish. The latest protagonist Stand "Soft and Wet" is able to steal the properties of objects.

There is no "Ultimate Stand" and while there are objectively powerful ones, it really comes down to how you use your ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

I know what Jojo is, I just don't know why stands are such a huge deal to everyone but me. I like Jojo because of the characters and crazy visuals, not the "creative powers" which usually just lead to a fuckton of exposition in the middle of a fight.
Well yeah, it's like American comics. But with more plausible outfits.