Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

BBQ Dave posted:

I wish those ashes would speak. Just a couple lines that changed with each ng+ would be so cool, even if they didn't give that much info, like if yhorm just growled or something.

I wish *something* would happen when you placed them. Some new lore from Firelink denizens, some extra lines or items or subquests, anything. The entire reason the place exists is for someone to come along, kill the Lords of Cinder and put them on the thrones, but nobody takes any notice when you do until the last one.

"Hey everybody! I killed the rear end in a top hat cannibal king dude who literally everyone in this goddamn building hates to hell, here are his ashes, we're half-way there now."
"oh you mean the guy most of us had a real personal vendetta against? nobody gives a gently caress at all ever, don't bring this up again"

It just doesn't make sense to me that nobody would have anything new and relevant to say after you killed the Lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Faux Mulder posted:

I wish *something* would happen when you placed them. Some new lore from Firelink denizens, some extra lines or items or subquests, anything. The entire reason the place exists is for someone to come along, kill the Lords of Cinder and put them on the thrones, but nobody takes any notice when you do until the last one.

"Hey everybody! I killed the rear end in a top hat cannibal king dude who literally everyone in this goddamn building hates to hell, here are his ashes, we're half-way there now."
"oh you mean the guy most of us had a real personal vendetta against? nobody gives a gently caress at all ever, don't bring this up again"

It just doesn't make sense to me that nobody would have anything new and relevant to say after you killed the Lords.
I'm pretty sure some of the NPCs have different dialogue if you still have the ashes in your inventory. Hawkwood at least laments the death of the Abyss Watchers a bit.

edit: although none of the wikis mention this so maybe I am remembering wrong...? I swore he said something about the final fate of lords being to die.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tallgeese posted:

Let me put it this way. For many people, the joy in Dark Souls is the joy of discovery. Right?

The problem is, there just isn't a lot of that in DS3 at all. A PVP meta was more or less figured out before the game was even released to the general public.

In terms of how stuff worked, DS1 stuff took awhile to figure out after it was first released on PC. However, since DS3 is extremely similar, there's not much to figure out except for nuPoise.

Sheer Magnitudes more players are playing ds3 concurrently compared to 1, 2 and bloodborne. Something that takes a few dozen people a month to finish is going to take a thousand a day. Less if the thousand have had practice.

Though since this is a game and a highly balanced, finely tuned PvP meta is certainly not a point the lead designer had in mind or cared about at all, this is what we get. You can sperg over which build is perfectly optimal but as long as most weapons are viable it really doesnt, or shouldnt, matter.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 6, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, after killing the Dancer shortly after the Deacons, gettting to Irythill, and generally mucking all about the drat place, I finally managed to get the Dragonslayer Spear, and up to +4 at that after running all over the place to fine enough twinkling titanite. I still haven't taken on Pontiff Sullivahn or however you spell it, so that should be fun. I'm loving the hell out of this weapon already. My faith build is at something like 27 DEX / 25 STR / 35 FTH, so my standard R1 and R2s aren't all that impressive, but holy goddamn gently caress does the lightning charge weapon skill feel good. Most enemies get stunned by the charge attack, and if the full lightning blast lands, it's close to 800 damage, all for a negligible FP cost (I haven't even got a simple shield yet, more on that later).

This almost makes up for the the loving waste that 90% of the miracles are. I mean, I just got my faith high enough to use Lightning Stake, and at best it's 300 damage for twice the FP cost of a Lightning Charge. I'm just using all my attunement slots for heals and Force miracles now, and letting the spear do all the heavy lifting.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

BBQ Dave posted:

I wish those ashes would speak. Just a couple lines that changed with each ng+ would be so cool, even if they didn't give that much info, like if yhorm just growled or something.

It kinda sucks how the game assumes you'll figure out to place the ashes on their thrones, but you still need to be teleported back to Lothric after killing the three lords. Being so unnecessary really makes it just a pointless and obnoxious addition to the game, also all the extra loading screens it forces on you since both of the boss rooms have stuff you'll likely wanna go back to to pick up.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people in that ds3's gotten boring way way faster than the other games. Souls burnout definitely plays a part, but the game itself is full of little design decisions like the above that makes actually going through the levels a real slog. The problem isn't the levels themselves, they're pretty well designed for the most part. The issue is the enemies and encounter design. Ds3 is full of enemies that are just no fun to fight for one reason or another. There are some enemies that would be fun in a different situation, or if they have this one move that is just so irritating, but there are others that are just straight up annoying and best avoided. There are tons of encounters that are just not worth dealing with and simply running past it is the best option if you wanna enjoy yourself. Every souls game has these things, but usually maybe one or two each. For me, it makes up the majority of the pve experience. I used to love going through the game with a new character and try new things, but I just can't be bothered anymore because of the lack of fun encounters to look forward too. Lots of great bosses though. Pvp is a mess. Dlc will help, but ultimately the other games still had a lot more life in them pre-dlc than ds3, I mean we've got how many months til the first one comes out? And we've heard absolutely nothing about it? Feels like we should at least have some teasers, some concept art, a single buzzword, or something by now.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I honestly didn't know you were supposed to actually place the ashes until I accidentally fell in front of one of the thrones at one point. I had killed all but one of the lords by then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's probably why they don't let you get over to ludleth if you drop too early and end up on aldrich's throne instead by accident (I do it every time)

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
stole some fire, beat game, was fun.

see you guys in another 3 years or something

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do spears have hyper armor? It would be hilarious if the Lothric Knight Long Spear's bonus ability did nothing not because poise doesn't exist, but because poise does nothing on that particular weapon type.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't imagine people can have played many games if they didn't automatically assume you had to put all four ashes on the thrones to open up the door to the final boss.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well they do have their names on the thrones.
Its not a massive jump of logic when you see that and seeing the item description:
"If the lords dont return to thrones themselves, let them return as cinders"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It would have been nice if instead of just the skull there was like an ash ghost of that lord you could talk to.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Did this get posted yet?

Money quote:

quote:

Recently, I was given an opportunity to email a set of questions to series director Hidetaka Miyazaki—stay tuned for more on that later this week—and I asked him about his studio’s lack of communication regarding poise.

“This isn’t something we are particularly proud of,” said Miyazaki. “With how things are handled now, it can be improved and this is an agenda item we’ll be working on in the future.”

I’d hoped Miyazaki would elaborate on what poise is in response to my question! He, uh, did not. The debate continues, but hopefully this signals From Software is learning that being vague isn’t always the right move.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I got summoned last night as an AF and the host was already fighting another invader. As I ran up, I saw a bag on the ground and picked it up. It had 99 Aldritch souls. Made a cool 1.4 million souls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has there been any word about dlc for DS3 yet? If I recall Old Hunters would announced or namedropped pretty quick after release.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One this Fall, one next Spring, no other details. Miyazaki said they had just started working on the first one around E3 time.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Did this get posted yet?

Money quote:

Watch as it still doesn't get fixed.

miracles getting another nerf btw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McKilligan posted:

Killed Wolnir, the Deacons and the Watchers, decided to sequence break a little bit because I really want the goddamned Dragonslayer Spear asap since I'm running a faith build. Dancer wasn't too bad with some summoned buddies, but now I'm wrangling with Ocerios, which is giving me a little trouble since there's rarely anyone available for co-op there. I might bounce back to Rosaria and respec so I can dump all the points I put into faith into STR and DEX so I can hit harder with my refined broadsword, as the 27 points I've got in faith right now aren't helping much.

If you can't get Hawkwood, there's a part of the level towards the back where some dead trees form a small alcove. If you walk into it he'll charge in after you but you can roll out. He won't be permanently stuck in it but it'll take him a little bit to right himself and get out which lets you get some free hits in. You can also actually run out after he charges in and go to the area's exit and he'll just keep futilely trying to hit you through the trees. His crystal floor thing can still reach you but in general if you have magic/projectiles you can really cheese the fight this way.

The other thing that might help is after he realizes his kid has been dead (or you killed his ghost kid during the battle), just stay away from him. He's actually charging around randomly destroying a bunch of scenery before trying to actually fight you again, it could be easier to just avoid him for a bit during that part of the fight as he'll flip out much less frequently after that outburst.

Yardbomb posted:

I wish, most of the weapon arts are just the boring short buffs and if they're not that, they're the stance with the same moves for whatever for the most part.

Powerstanced greatswords, bone fist and some others however were hilarious or awesome.

The weapon art for the twin scimitars the wanderer type guy starts out with is amazing. I seems to catch people off guard ( :haw: ) for me all the time and then they immediately eat a heavy attack right after, and even if they block it it tends to eat up a lot of their stamina so the heavy ends up getting through/staggering. I wish the twin swords you can get with the Dancer boss' soul were good because then they'd be my favorite weapon in the game, their weapon art is similar but then you can just hold down the button to do a continuous chain of heavy attacks til your stamina runs out. :black101:

Faux Mulder posted:

Demon's Souls was the best with this. Everyone had stuff to say about ***THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE*** which is something all the subsequent games have failed a bit at. Like in Dark Souls 2 after you cure and bring Rosabeth back, she hangs around like ten feet away from her father's blacksmithing operation and they don't even acknowledge each others' existence? Or how you can have what's his name in DS3 and Sirris in Firelink at the same time and they just don't care even though they hate each other's orders, it's really silly.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 6, 2016

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Faux Mulder posted:

Ludleth adds dialogue after the first lord is returned, Hawkwood has new dialogue (and gives you a ring) after the Watchers are killed. Dialogue changes for Ludleth as you kill the lords (although getting the firekeeper eyes takes priority over all his other dialogue, unfortunately, so you may not hear all of it as you approach getting all four Lords). Most of it are just tiny changes, other than Watchers. Hawkwood changes dialogue constantly, actually, every time you achieve any noteable milestone, but he leaves soon after Watchers (Wolnir or Pontiff, not sure which boss triggers him leaving). Other than those two, though, I don't think anyone mentions your conquests specifically.

As far as subquests go, some trigger with dead bosses. Sirri's questline is based on dead bosses, Greirat's thieving is based on opened areas, and the chick from Londor has a sidequest or two for you based on progression. The miracle teacher has quest progression based on spells taught. I think the only people not involved in sidequests are the blacksmith, shrine maiden (chick who sells you things) and the pyromancy teachers. I really, really wish they'd given the pyromancy teacher some more dialogue or a subquest based on ODK, though. The death and the waning of the profaned flame should mean something to a master of pyromancy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Demon's Souls was the best with this. Everyone had stuff to say about ***THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE*** which is something all the subsequent games have failed a bit at. Like in Dark Souls 2 after you cure and bring Rosabeth back, she hangs around like ten feet away from her father's blacksmithing operation and they don't even acknowledge each others' existence? Or how you can have what's his name in DS3 and Sirris in Firelink at the same time and they just don't care even though they hate each other's orders, it's really silly.

Actually both the blacksmith and his daughter (its chloanne not rosabeth) have things to say about it. He's glad to see her safe and sound and she's confused about why he keeps looking at her because she doesn't remember who he is. Which is a bit weird considering the blacksmith is the one who looks hollow.

It's still extremely little dialogue and the majula NPCs don't really interact at all, they just sort of park themselves there and that's it for their story, for the most part. Pate & creighton have some good interaction though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Digirat posted:

Actually both the blacksmith and his daughter (its chloanne not rosabeth) have things to say about it. He's glad to see her safe and sound and she's confused about why he keeps looking at her because she doesn't remember who he is. Which is a bit weird considering the blacksmith is the one who looks hollow.

It's still extremely little dialogue and the majula NPCs don't really interact at all, they just sort of park themselves there and that's it for their story, for the most part. Pate & creighton have some good interaction though.

She does remember him, she even says he looks like her father, she just doesn't think it's him because he's hollowed and she doesn't think he'd follow her to Drangleic. It is annoying though how Lenigrast never seems to actually talk to her.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Digirat posted:

I love how DS3 ended 2's debate on who the real scumbag was. I had my money on Page, actually.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

BobTheJanitor posted:

Did this get posted yet?

Patrick Klepek posted:

The debate continues, but hopefully this signals From Software is learning that being vague isn’t always the right move.

Miyazaki posted:

“This isn’t something we are particularly proud of. With how things are handled now, it can be improved and this is an agenda item we’ll be working on in the future.”

*doesn't explain what poise is supposed to do*
*doesn't comment on whether poise is actually working or not*
*isn't clear about whether it's the function of poise or the vagueness of From's responses that they're not particularly proud of/going to be working on*

poo poo's almost impressive in its vagueness and ambiguity. literally no useful meaning to be extracted from it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I just invaded someone in Lothric Castle and he punched the poo poo out of me with the Dark Fist, I had no idea it was so strong

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It got a buff it was useless before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yQWJMPu0o

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Faux Mulder posted:

*isn't clear about whether it's the function of poise or the vagueness of From's responses that they're not particularly proud of/going to be working on*

poo poo's almost impressive in its vagueness and ambiguity. literally no useful meaning to be extracted from it.

It's pretty annoying, but also funny how much it plays into stereotypes of Japanese business practices. I wonder if they understand that statements like those are even more exasperating than just stonewalling.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

That was beautiful. Of course, it's still useless aside from the goofy gimmick of abusing its base damage since it cannot be upgraded and fist weapons are still bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Obligatum VII posted:

That was beautiful. Of course, it's still useless aside from the goofy gimmick of abusing its base damage since it cannot be upgraded and fist weapons are still bad.

"Abusing its base damage" will get you a long way, though, and it uses almost no stamina so you can keep punching for days. If you grab it as soon as it's available, it will one-shot many enemies and kill most of the rest on the second hit. It's even a viable way to kill Dancer early, since she's super weak to dark.

I wouldn't bring it to a duel except as a surprise extra weapon with no additional weight, but it's plenty good at NG Farron Keep level invasions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope they never address, fix or change poise and the whole thing is Miyazaki trolling the Souls community

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Faux Mulder posted:

:darksouls:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
What can I potentially gently caress up if going for the third, "best" ending?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not saving the pilgrim, not getting the dark sigils before he dies, killing the assassin in the church or anyone else involved, curing your hollowing, I think that's probably it? Not going through with the 'marriage' but I dunno when the cutoff would be for that, I'm assuming you can do it any time.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sakurazuka posted:

Killing the assassin in the church or anyone else involved, curing your hollowing, I think that's probably it? Not going through with the 'marriage' but I dunno when the cutoff would be for that, I'm assuming you can do it any time.

The steps just make it seem very easy to unlock it, compared to the other games..

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, actually I forgot about all the stuff with Horace, you have to kill him and not tell tell Anri where he is, also talk to her in both places in the Catacombs. I've no idea if not doing that breaks the third ending stuff or just her quest if you're not doing that though.

NPC quests are just needlessly complex in DS3

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Paracelsus posted:

"Abusing its base damage" will get you a long way, though, and it uses almost no stamina so you can keep punching for days. If you grab it as soon as it's available, it will one-shot many enemies and kill most of the rest on the second hit. It's even a viable way to kill Dancer early, since she's super weak to dark.

I wouldn't bring it to a duel except as a surprise extra weapon with no additional weight, but it's plenty good at NG Farron Keep level invasions.
It's fantastic. Finally a fist weapon I can actually use to kill people with rather than go either "this deals no damage but at least it's a surprise" or "actually this is just for parrying sorry".

Also, big thanks for the Dancer tip, I will totally do this now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Faux Mulder posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just talking about how they need to communicate better regarding any changes or relevant mechanics. I'm one of those people who don't care one bit about Poise as it wasn't relevant in DeS and BB.

To me they could just scrap the entire concept for good and just balance the weight and defence values of heavy armour

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Nah, that would make slow weapons useless, since you wouldn't be able to get an attack off without being staggered. Ideally, slower weapons that require poise to be effective should grant some while swinging, but faster weapons that don't need poise shou... wait

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jordbo posted:

Nah, that would make slow weapons useless, since you wouldn't be able to get an attack off without being staggered. Ideally, slower weapons that require poise to be effective should grant some while swinging, but faster weapons that don't need poise shou... wait

But heavy weapons aren't useless in any of those games because they have hyper armour during attack animations.

Mind you I'm only talking about poise that makes you invulnerable to flinching when you aren't even doing anything, which IMO was stupid when it was introduced in Dks1. I don't know why people want it back.

If the only reason is that people want armour to be useful, then adjusting weight and defence ratio of heavy armour is a much simpler fix.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 7, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I kind of want a reason to wear heavy armor other than gimping myself because of fashion souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, actually I forgot about all the stuff with Horace, you have to kill him and not tell tell Anri where he is, also talk to her in both places in the Catacombs. I've no idea if not doing that breaks the third ending stuff or just her quest if you're not doing that though.

NPC quests are just needlessly complex in DS3

You can tell Anri where Horace is as long as you kill him. And you can not kill Horace and not tell Anri to also keep her save. She won't find him on her own, and if he's dead she won't find him even if you tell her where he was. Both outcomes result in her being alive.